Wegovy

Options

Replies

• harringtona1
    harringtona1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Finally had a side effect on week 2 that I'll share in case anyone new to the meds is reading this: constipation for a few days. That so seldom happens to me that I had to research what you do. Miralax mix in pack. No taste. Drank it one afternoon. Next day when I had time, took care of business with no trouble. Sorry to get personal, but knowing this would've helped me.
    That said, I'm starting week 4. Seems to be helping my appetite - I don't get to my calorie goal and I'm not hungry or even munchy. Weight loss is slow. But I'm still on 0.25mg. I'm way far away from the max dose. So I'll wait and see. No more side effects, by the way. Just for week 2 and 3. Used my cure once per week. Now back to normal.
    No sickness either. Keep doing good stuff, y'all.
  • harringtona1
    Options
    Welp, I guess nobody is sharing 😉. But I can still write a little in case someone is looking for information.
    I started 0.5 mg on Friday. No intestinal issues. Had a quick couple of pound weight loss the couple of days following, as I did right after I started the 0.25 mg.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I started it this week, and my doctor did tell me it would be for life as most people who stop gain most of the weight back- if not more. She did say it will likely either be in pill form in the future or maybe a monthly injection. I'm wondering if once you reach your goal weight if you can reduce the dosage of Wegovy for maintenance. Anyone know?
  • harringtona1
    Options
    I understand you will at least lessen the frequency of the doses. Once per month maybe instead of once per week. Then less maybe... Good luck! I hope you have an easy week of it 😺
  • apressler3
    apressler3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's disappointing that study didn't include body composition.

A month ago I made a thread here showing the data on the greater than expected loss in muscle mass from people on these drugs, and I was asking if people on the drugs were doing resistance training and taking more protein to mitigate that. It was crickets and tumbleweeds. Despite so many on the site talking about the drugs, there was I think just one single person who said they were just starting to do some weights.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10888958/are-those-taking-wegovy-or-ozempic-also-doing-resistance-training-and-increasing-protein/

I am indeed starting strength training as part of my effort for this reason. I read some recommendations that said strength training and increased protein intake can mitigate this. That said, I’m in my 50s and not particularly bothered with muscle mass at a cosmetic level. I just want to be more active and able to hiking on my reconstructed knees without pain or undue wear.

I also seem to recall a study (I like to read the scientific lit on this) that said that losing muscle mass as part of significant weight loss was not the same as losing strength. I’ll see if I can track that down tonight.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    lose40450 wrote: »
    It's more than appetite suppression. I had been averaging 1400 - 1450 calories a day for 3 months and my weight just stayed within a 2 pound range. And it was miserable with the cravings and hunger. 1 week on Wegovy my daily average dropped to 1350 - the hunger and cravings were diminished considerably - and I dropped 1.8 pounds below the lowest weight I had been seeing the last 3 months. I know someone is going to say I wasn't counting carefully or accurately or whatever - but I'm counting by a consistent means - so one week at roughly 700 calories less and I dropped nearly 2 pounds - it's more than appetite suppression.

I'm 50 and going through menopause. Prior to my early 40's I confidently believed in CICO but these days that math ain't mathing.

This is exactly appetite suppression. You're wrong to believe that decreasing your intake by 700 calories can't equate to a 2 pound weight loss because that first couple of weeks of decreased intake comes with a shedding of glycogen/water weight.

While, it helps your body metabolize sugar better, that in itself won't equate to weight loss. It's all about eating less calories and appetite suppression is what's doing it.
  • apressler3
    edited May 2023
    Options
    beckajw wrote: »
    lose40450 wrote: »
    It's more than appetite suppression. I had been averaging 1400 - 1450 calories a day for 3 months and my weight just stayed within a 2 pound range. And it was miserable with the cravings and hunger. 1 week on Wegovy my daily average dropped to 1350 - the hunger and cravings were diminished considerably - and I dropped 1.8 pounds below the lowest weight I had been seeing the last 3 months. I know someone is going to say I wasn't counting carefully or accurately or whatever - but I'm counting by a consistent means - so one week at roughly 700 calories less and I dropped nearly 2 pounds - it's more than appetite suppression.

I'm 50 and going through menopause. Prior to my early 40's I confidently believed in CICO but these days that math ain't mathing.

This is exactly appetite suppression. You're wrong to believe that decreasing your intake by 700 calories can't equate to a 2 pound weight loss because that first couple of weeks of decreased intake comes with a shedding of glycogen/water weight.

While, it helps your body metabolize sugar better, that in itself won't equate to weight loss. It's all about eating less calories and appetite suppression is what's doing it.

You are correct to point out that CICO always applies. But Semaglutide is demonstrably improving or 'speeding up' metabolism. This affects the CO side of the equation. It also massively affects appetite, which improves the CI side of the equation.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I don't think I would describe its mechanism as improving metabolism

How does semaglutide work for weight loss?
    Semaglutide is peptide that works by mimicking a hormone called glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1), which targets an area of ​​the brain that regulates appetite and food intake. By controlling blood sugar spikes and lowering blood sugar, as well as reducing appetite and cravings energy levels are more consistent
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    apressler3 wrote: »
    You are correct to point out that CICO always applies. But Semaglutide is demonstrably improving or 'speeding up' metabolism. This affects the CO side of the equation. It also massively affects appetite, which improves the CI side of the equation.
    Not that it necessarily discounts that six year old study, but...

M. B. A., A. F., J. B. H. and T. K. [i.e. most of the authors] are full-time employees of, and hold shares in, Novo Nordisk A/S. A. B. has received research grants from Novo Nordisk. J. B. has received research, travel and accommodation grants within the submitted work from Novo Nordisk A/S, and advisory and speaker fees outside the submitted work from Novo Nordisk A/S.
  • apressler3
    Options
    Not that it necessarily discounts that six year old study, but...
    It's always a valid concern. But I am less concerned about corruption and fraud by the authors as I am about research into possible contradictions simply not being funded.

The other study, that I complained did not report on the fraction of subjects who were successful in maintaining weight loss, was also funded by Novo - who would have a financial interest in portraying their drugs as requiring a lifetime commitment. I have very good insurance and that would still mean a couple thousand dollars a year. I suspect Novo is not funding research into how people can maintain that weight loss without semaglutide.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    I think that's the main problem with Wegovy/Ozempic. It's pretty universal that once the drug is stopped, the patient regains all the weight, because their appetite comes back.

I think this is misguided. These drugs are bring astounding results for obese people. The world is gobsmacked that this treatment has appeared.

I would target this treatment for how it falls apart when the treatment stops.

The whole world is obese, as we all know. However, the part usually not said out loud is that there is nothing anywhere in the world that is currently available that consistently has formerly obese people maintain weight loss.

The message < CICO, lifestyle, move more >, which is so rational, obvious, and prevalent, is simply ineffective out in the world. Look around, look here at MFP, look at me.

{lifestyle} Person A is going to struggle with lifestyle, better choices, moving etc. and they may or may not lose the excess weight, at which point they will most likely gain it all back.

{treatment} Person B gets the treatment and almost certainly loses the excess weight, at which point they stop the treatment and most likely gain it all back.

Same outcome.

I won't critique or criticize an obese person who loses the excess weight. That's a good thing.

Everyone everywhere needs to learn how to maintain a big weight lose. If you, me, or anyone else tells you they have the answer to that dilemma. They are not being truthful. It is a huge unknown. All research and all anecdotes point toward THIS is the issue. Maintenance is an unknown. There is no known practical answer to this.

Finally having an answer to "how can I lose excess weight:" a drug treatment. That's a fantastic certainty that does not exist anywhere else in the area of obesity and weight loss and maintenance.

Celebrate the access to weightloss. There is more to discover in the big overall scheme.

• apressler3
    Options
    I don't think I would describe its mechanism as improving metabolism

How does semaglutide work for weight loss?
    Semaglutide is peptide that works by mimicking a hormone called glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1), which targets an area of ​​the brain that regulates appetite and food intake. By controlling blood sugar spikes and lowering blood sugar, as well as reducing appetite and cravings energy levels are more consistent

The study I cited above concluded "Semaglutide improved fasting and postprandial glucose and lipid metabolism." The study also finds the reduced blood sugar spikes your quote discusses. In fact, the reduced spikes are considered evidence of improved metabolism.

Sure, It's only one study. But I am having a similar experience to @lose40450 in that I track my calorie intake and expenditure pretty faithfully (or at least I track the same on wegovy as I did before wegovy). And the results with similar caloric deficits are different.

The main point is that the lived experience of many users is that there are things going on with this drug that are not explained well if appetite suppression is its only effect. The upshot of some points @Retroguy2000 was making is there is a lot of research yet to be done on it, and a lot more detailed explanation of how it works yet to be provided.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess it is just semantics on what metabolism means.

I am not saying its only mechanism is by appetite suppression, clearly that is not the case or that class of meds would not be prescribed for diabetics to reduce blood sugar levels.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,895 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I think that's the main problem with Wegovy/Ozempic. It's pretty universal that once the drug is stopped, the patient regains all the weight, because their appetite comes back.

I think this is misguided. These drugs are bring astounding results for obese people. The world is gobsmacked that this treatment has appeared.

The whole world is obese, as we all know. However, the part usually not said out loud is that there is nothing anywhere in the world that is currently available that consistently has formerly obese people maintain weight loss.

The message < CICO, lifestyle, move more >, which is so rational, obvious, and prevalent, is simply ineffective out in the world. Look around, look here at MFP, look at me.

{lifestyle} Person A is going to struggle with lifestyle, better choices, moving etc. and they may or may not lose the excess weight, at which point they will most likely gain it all back.

{treatment} Person B gets the treatment and almost certainly loses the excess weight, at which point they stop the treatment and most likely gain it all back.

Same outcome.

I won't critique or criticize an obese person who loses the excess weight. That's a good thing.

Everyone everywhere needs to learn how to maintain a big weight lose. If you, me, or anyone else tells you they have the answer to that dilemma. They are not being truthful. It is a huge unknown. All research and all anecdotes point toward THIS is the issue. Maintenance is an unknown. There is no known practical answer to this.

Finally having an answer to "how can I lose excess weight:" a drug treatment. That's a fantastic certainty that does not exist anywhere else in the area of obesity and weight loss and maintenance.

Celebrate the access to weightloss. There is more to discover in the big overall scheme.

Allow me to explain why I have zero empathy for that argument. As someone with celiac disease, I had to cut out all wheat, barley, and rye. And I do mean all. Even cross contamination. It's a difficult thing to do. Your diet completely changes from what you're used to. You can't buy a single thing in the store without poring over the label, then calling the manufacturer to verify that it's not made on shared machinery. Restaurant French fries? Dream on. They're made in shared fryers with wheat containing products. But, if I don't stick to it I get violently ill. For weeks. So no, "but... but... but... eating less is too hard" just doesn't really cut it with me. That being said, I'm not against pharmaceuticals for weight loss. I simply stated it becomes an issue when you no longer have access to the medication
    I believe your comparing the commitment "task" your obligated to make based on a disease you have, specifically Celiac Disease, and your argument, which is I believe, if obese people just took their weight more seriously, like a disease, then they wouldn't need a GLP-1 antagonist and considering when you stop taking the drug they just end up gaining the weight back and are no better off and maybe worse metabolically than before they started, just reinforces this argument. I think that's the point your making.

Your making a strawman argument which is a logical fallacy. Your making a completely different argument comparing celiac with overeating then taking an "attack position" based on your personal experience that Celiac Disease is the same as obesity and can be treated the same by just avoiding the thing that makes someone obese, which is overeating food.

Obesity is from what I've read over the years a little more complicated than just eating too much. I'm certainly not saying that nothing can be done about it, but there needs to be a lot more research. One of the reasons why GLP-1 works so well is because people don't have to do anything, it's an automatic result. People like that, it's easy and it gets the desired results.

We are now entering the twilight zone with GLP-1 antagonists, Amygdala, Dopamine, Exendin-4, L-tyrosine, neurotransmitters that effect mood, depression, anorexia, addiction, basically brain and gut hormones that are as effective as GLP-1 in the respect that those effects take place regardless of whether we want them to or not.

Which brings the basic elements that causes obesity into play, that being the food we're consuming. Are there elements, compounds, reasons why the vast majority of people (75%) of the population are overweight and obese. Are there endocrine-disrupting chemicals, or exogenous substances or mixtures that alters function(s) of the endocrine system and consequently causes adverse health effects like Ultra processed foods, phthalates and bisphenol which are BPA's for example. Do ultra processed foods have an effect on our endocrine system, yep, they sure do and considering of the 75% of processed foods consumed in the USA for example around 70% of those processed foods are ultra processed, and like GLP-1 antagonists, they work as well, helping to facilitate overeating and it's easy, people don't need to do anything special, it just happens, I digress.

Why the media or the medical community are not putting this on the front burner is probably very political imo. Follow the money, with power and control surely close bedfellows. Personally a whole food diet puts this basic fundamental on pause, and there's no money promoting broccoli in the halls of the food and pharmaceutical industry, but I like to think it as a middle finger and subsequently that possible finger in the dike for gaining weight, a nice side effect.

As a possible solution I would suggest that while a person is taking the trouble and expense taking GLP-1's to be proactive and that a possible dietary intervention take place with replacing some of your more processed foods and replacing them with a whole food option and this doesn't have to happen overnight, this can be a plan that can happens over years as well.

We have to stop this reductive thinking where the medical community medicates the symptoms and start attacking the root causes, and where have I heard this philosophy before, oh yeah, my grandmother. Just food for thought. Cheers
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,602 Member
    Options

Same outcome.

Allow me to explain why I have zero empathy for that argument. As someone with celiac disease, I had to cut out all wheat, barley, and rye. And I do mean all. Even cross contamination. It's a difficult thing to do. Your diet completely changes from what you're used to. You can't buy a single thing in the store without poring over the label, then calling the manufacturer to verify that it's not made on shared machinery. Restaurant French fries? Dream on. They're made in shared fryers with wheat containing products. But, if I don't stick to it I get violently ill. For weeks. So no, "but... but... but... eating less is too hard" just doesn't really cut it with me. That being said, I'm not against pharmaceuticals for weight loss. I simply stated it becomes an issue when you no longer have access to the medication
    I believe your comparing the commitment "task" your obligated to make based on a disease you have, specifically Celiac Disease, and your argument, which is I believe, if obese people just took their weight more seriously, like a disease, then they wouldn't need a GLP-1 antagonist and considering when you stop taking the drug they just end up gaining the weight back and are no better off and maybe worse metabolically than before they started, just reinforces this argument. I think that's the point your making.

Your making a strawman argument which is a logical fallacy. Your making a completely different argument comparing celiac with overeating then taking an "attack position" based on your personal experience that Celiac Disease is the same as obesity and can be treated the same by just avoiding the thing that makes someone obese, which is overeating food.

Obesity is from what I've read over the years a little more complicated than just eating too much. I'm certainly not saying that nothing can be done about it, but there needs to be a lot more research. One of the reasons why GLP-1 works so well is because people don't have to do anything, it's an automatic result. People like that, it's easy and it gets the desired results.

We are now entering the twilight zone with GLP-1 antagonists, Amygdala, Dopamine, Exendin-4, L-tyrosine, neurotransmitters that effect mood, depression, anorexia, addiction, basically brain and gut hormones that are as effective as GLP-1 in the respect that those effects take place regardless of whether we want them to or not.

Which brings the basic elements that causes obesity into play, that being the food we're consuming. Are there elements, compounds, reasons why the vast majority of people (75%) of the population are overweight and obese. Are there endocrine-disrupting chemicals, or exogenous substances or mixtures that alters function(s) of the endocrine system and consequently causes adverse health effects like Ultra processed foods, phthalates and bisphenol which are BPA's for example. Do ultra processed foods have an effect on our endocrine system, yep, they sure do and considering of the 75% of processed foods consumed in the USA for example around 70% of those processed foods are ultra processed, and like GLP-1 antagonists, they work as well, helping to facilitate overeating and it's easy, people don't need to do anything special, it just happens, I digress.

Why the media or the medical community are not putting this on the front burner is probably very political imo. Follow the money, with power and control surely close bedfellows. Personally a whole food diet puts this basic fundamental on pause, and there's no money promoting broccoli in the halls of the food and pharmaceutical industry, but I like to think it as a middle finger and subsequently that possible finger in the dike for gaining weight, a nice side effect.

As a possible solution I would suggest that while a person is taking the trouble and expense taking GLP-1's to be proactive and that a possible dietary intervention take place with replacing some of your more processed foods and replacing them with a whole food option and this doesn't have to happen overnight, this can be a plan that can happens over years as well, just food for thought.

Same outcome.

As a possible solution I would suggest that while a person is taking the trouble and expense taking GLP-1's to be proactive and that a possible dietary intervention take place with replacing some of your more processed foods and replacing them with a whole food option and this doesn't have to happen overnight, this can be a plan that can happens over years as well, just food for thought.

You can feel free to disagree. It's an opinion, not a fact. And my point is, neither is easy. I specifically stated I'm not against weight loss drugs, simply that it can become an issue when someone loses access to them. People can and should do what they feel is necessary for themselves. I was more referring to people who refuse to really do anything, yet still complain about it.