Some MFP Basics

Options

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this very informative post, I have now dropped my target loss back to 1lb/week. This has brought my intake up to 1800 calories which sounds a bit more correct for me.
    The increase means I can have a few more serves of cheese and other (not so) 'goodies' that I had almost cut out. I was starting to settle into the 1360 cals that MFP had me originally.
    Hopefully this will help with keeping the weight coming off, and not plateauing.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I know I have more than 10 lbs to lose, but I am only trying to lose 10lbs. So, do I eat at a 2 lb loss or like someone who only has 10 lbs to go?
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I know I have more than 10 lbs to lose, but I am only trying to lose 10lbs. So, do I eat at a 2 lb loss or like someone who only has 10 lbs to go?

It depends on your body fat percentage. How much fat stores do you have? How quickly and efficiently the body can access those fat stores is what should determine your loss per week goal. The leaner you get, the harder it is for the body to use fat for energy.

If you could realistically lose 50 lbs, then you could go ahead and use a 1 lb per week goal, even if you're only trying to lose 10. But if you only have about 20 lbs to get to be at a moderate body fat percentage, then you need to have a conservative deficit to avoid losing too much lean mass in addition to the fat.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Thanks to this very informative post, I have now dropped my target loss back to 1lb/week. This has brought my intake up to 1800 calories which sounds a bit more correct for me.
    The increase means I can have a few more serves of cheese and other (not so) 'goodies' that I had almost cut out. I was starting to settle into the 1360 cals that MFP had me originally.
    Hopefully this will help with keeping the weight coming off, and not plateauing.

Sounds about right. It makes for a much more sustainable daily diet and helps keep you from feeling deprived - and makes it easier to transition into maintenance. Good luck reaching your goals!
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love this thread.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi I would of put weight loss the other way round, I find the more weight I have the more I loose to start but it slows down after.. Loved reading this and thank you for all the effort xx
  • 10fairywings
    10fairywings Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    I have a question, is there a way of altering the macros on the food diary, the ammounts for protein, fat, carbs etc?
    I have looked but can't see if you can.

:)

11064913.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Hi I would of put weight loss the other way round, I find the more weight I have the more I loose to start but it slows down after.. Loved reading this and thank you for all the effort xx

That's how it should read... The higher your body fat percentage, the faster the weight will come off, initially.

I'm curious as to what made you think I was looking at it the other way...I wouldn't want that misconception out there.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Great post!
    I have a question, is there a way of altering the macros on the food diary, the ammounts for protein, fat, carbs etc?

Thank you :happy:

Yes, if you go to Goals, Change Goals, Custom, you can change the macro percentages there.

Just keep in mind that if you go into Guided goals at all after that, it will reset it to the defaults. And you will need to manually recalculate your calorie goals, etc as you lose weight, because it won't automatically prompt you as it does with guided goals.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,715 Member
    Options
    Great post!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom
  • heaverchell
    heaverchell Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Great Post :)
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump! great post:happy:
  • 10fairywings
    Options
    Great post!

Thank you :happy:

Yes, if you go to Goals, Change Goals, Custom, you can change the macro percentages there.

Just keep in mind that if you go into Guided goals at all after that, it will reset it to the defaults. And you will need to manually recalculate your calorie goals, etc as you lose weight, because it won't automatically prompt you as it does with guided goals.

Brilliant! Thank you! :)
  • 10fairywings
    Options
    Great post!

Thank you too :)
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,715 Member
    Options
    Great post!

Thank you too :)
    You're welcome. :smile:
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have been on this site for 10 days and trying to figure out a couple of things especially eating back calories..you answered everyone of my questions..at the end of the day I have very low calories and dont know what to do.. eat more exercise less??? I have alot to lose and I am very overweight, obese in fact I am trying to do things the right way but many people seem to think I am losing to much too fast...this post helped thank you very much