MFP Biggest Loser Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyByExample
    AmyByExample Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    thanks guys =) most of the schools i have been looking at dont reward merit based scholarships because they say "all the students that get in are qualified for a merit based scholarship" (as a middlebury admissions officer said). my family will be applying for financial aid, but its not like because my step dad makes a lot of money which shows up on the forms, but NONE of his money will be going to my college

so, YES, there is going to be a deadline this time. im going to say that this weeks deadline will be Saturday night at 9pm EST. is that ok with people? should i make it earlier/later? im sorry for this but i kinda have to lay down the law so im not still getting numbers on tuesday and stuff because by then we should have already started a new challenge. thanks guys!

There are bunches of "private" scholarships set up in someone's memory that go unclaimed each year, or that very few people apply for. I would make that my job starting now. I know there are books or perhaps online resources for these (perhaps your counselor can direct you). I would apply for one a week - the more you send out, the better the odds of you getting some. I remember getting one that was in memory of a nurse who had passed (they were awarding it to someone going into the Medical Profession). Every little bit helps!
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think Saturday by noon is fair... that gives all day friday and half of saturday to log in with weight. should be doable for everyone.
  • I'd like to join! I'm new to this and don't know what I'm supposed to do, though, besides say I'm in!
  • abjedi
    abjedi Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    CW 192.8 loss of 1.2 pounds... Yippee!!!
  • AmyByExample
    AmyByExample Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    CW = 192.9

Loss of 1.1 for this week.

PM'd Ali results

Will PM water tomorrow.

Amy
  • catjrow3
    Options
    CW: 155.2
    Loss: 1.6 lbs.
    I will send to Ali and water!!

Happy Friday ladies
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    well that was a wake up call! I gained exactly what I lost last week...I am not messing around any more no fooling around overeating at events. packed a few low cal snacks in my purse so when things are crazy I can eat something so I am not famished when the time comes...blerg!
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Ali - so sorry to hear about your dad. I'll keep him and you in my prayers. Also, there are alot of avenues to pay for college. I work as an accountant at a college and you know what...there's probably less than 10% that's prepared financially for college - and most of that number are military applicants. In fact, college work study isn't what it used to be. Parents & students are coming back in to rework their loans because there's not alot of jobs in the college work study program. Be persistent in speaking to your high school counselor. They have lots of info but most students don't ask. Also, check some of your prospective college's websites for scholarships. Many have scholarships that are specifically for freshmen, women, and each discipline (i.e. nursing, accounting, engineering). Also, check your specific major for scholarships. For example, there may be a scholarship for engineering and then also one for civil engineering majors. The key is to apply early. Most scholarships have a January 31st deadline, need you to write a paper, etc. Lastly, make sure that your parents complete their taxes in a timely manner. You'll need 2011 tax info for any government loans (Subsidized or Unsubsidized) or scholarships (Pell Grant). Oh yeah, one last thing that people don't consider is community and in-state public colleges. They tend to be cheaper. Hope this info is helpful to you. Keep your head up! You will find a way!

I'm going to email the red team's stat's tomorrow morning.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!
  • alibaba0310
    Options
    thanks so much to everyone who has already sent me their numbers! so far i have 8 peoples. remember, deadline is 9pm tonight (EST)! otherwise, you will not be counted this week. if you miss more than two weeks in a row, you will be removed from the chart. i'm sorry to be so rude and stern. thanks everyone!

also, i was thinking for next weeks challenge we could track sodium. mfp keeps track of it for you, so all youd have to do is send me the numbers each day. i recently learned that eating too much sodium can make your face look bloated. it also slows down weight loss and can have serious health repercussions in the future. what do people think of this? we definitely dont have to do it if you guys dont like it, i just want to get my sodium under control and stuff
  • Letty_c
    Letty_c Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    well I know I'm not very good with watching my sodium
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    Options
    Watching sodium sounds good!
  • catjrow3
    Options
    I can do that, but only send once a week, so not to be constantly PMing... thanks!
  • laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    watching sodium sounds good to me...i think it also affects water retention. I think. But i think it is a good idea :)
  • opalmel
    opalmel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Checking in:

CW: 177.6 ( gained 1 since last week)

My water for this week was 38 glasses or 304 oz. I think watching our sodium for this week is a great idea! I know I have been trying to keep it under control.

Opal
  • alibaba0310
    Options
    i currently only have about half the peoples numbers. this whole deadline thing didnt work haha. so, FOR THIS WEEK ONLY, i will be extending the deadline until 9 am EST. i'm doing this because people may not have come on in time to see the deadline. next week, the deadline will be 9pm saturday night. thanks everyone!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, they will turn their results tomorrow otherwise you may have to reorganize the teams
  • alibaba0310
    Options
    Here are this weeks results! As you can see, we have quite a few blanks. Depending on whose results I get next week, I'm going to rearrange the teams. One person from the purple team also PMed me saying they had to drop out for medical reasons.

This weeks winning team is the PURPLE TEAM! Congrats! (I realize there was only one person who weighed in)
    This weeks individual winner is Elbee1! Congrats! You lost 2.14%!

As for the challenge, the winning team is the BLUE TEAM! Great job everyone!

sorry for the image size, if you right click and open image in new tab or window, you can see the full weekly results, with the percentages. i'm not sure how to fix that

week2-1.jpg

week2chal.jpg
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    Options
    This weeks individual winner is Elbee1! Congrats! You lost 2.14%!

Awesome job Elbee1!!!!!!!!!!!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Blue team won the challenge again! Way to go LaurenWolfe and Kristie_cla, we did it!
    Next week is sodium count. I don't think I can't do well with this cause I eat bacons and pork rinds. They are
    very salty. You guys got to help me with my share, stay low sodium. PrettyPooks, we need you specially with the next team challenge.
  • sarahkova
    sarahkova Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    since everything is done on averages you wouldn't have to rearrange the teams...

and woo hoo!! congrats Elbee!!!