exercise & loss

Options
hi! i have a question about the impact exercise has on my weight. so everyday i do between 30k - 40k steps, and my weight stays relatively the same each day - fluctuates between 47kg and 48kg but recently has been 47.4kg - 48kg! where i understand that this is water retention etc as well! but with this daily exercise that’s consistent my weight maintains. i tend to eat the same variations of food everyday as well - this was the same this weekend too, despite one meal!

this weekend i went away for a night and two day holiday, and i couldn’t do my usual walking routine & not having that control did make me very very anxious, along with that i felt like i ate a lot, i’m not sure if that’s just my anorexia head trying to make me feel guilty etc, but when i went to weigh myself this morning i was fully prepared for my weight to have go up a lot as i hadn’t been able to do my walking. but to my surprise it had actually gone down 0.5kg - so i’m just a bit confused that consistent exercise ≠ weight loss & less exercise + more food = weight loss. or is it just a coincidence?
thank you

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    You're at just 100lbs. That's normal for someone at 5 foot tall. Why are you trying to lose weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    If you are normally walking between 15 and 20 miles a day, your body may be retaining water. That is a lot of exercise, perhaps too much for your body. Stress hormones may also be affected.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I think you're overthinking this, and yes, that could partly be because of your personal history.

But lots of people seem to think that their bodyweight is a clear and direct result of their calorie intake and activity/exercise the previous day (or even two), and only that.

It's not that simple.

Without belaboring the details, it would be more realistic to say that body fat level is more about the average of calories eaten and activity/exercise over multiple days, maybe as much as a week sometimes.

But body weight on the scale is more than fat and lean body parts. Bodies can be 60%+ water. Food residue in the digestive tract has weight and it shows up on the scale until we excrete it. On top of that, a healthy body can have a few pounds of gut and other microbes we need for health: That shows up on the scale too, and it isn't even genetically us.

Try to look at your weight trend from one month to the next. Jumps of a few pounds up or down over a day or few are 100% normal, and pretty much meaningless.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    alice8829 wrote: »
    hi! i have a question about the impact exercise has on my weight. so everyday i do between 30k - 40k steps, and my weight stays relatively the same each day - fluctuates between 47kg and 48kg but recently has been 47.4kg - 48kg! where i understand that this is water retention etc as well! but with this daily exercise that’s consistent my weight maintains. i tend to eat the same variations of food everyday as well - this was the same this weekend too, despite one meal!

this weekend i went away for a night and two day holiday, and i couldn’t do my usual walking routine & not having that control did make me very very anxious, along with that i felt like i ate a lot, i’m not sure if that’s just my anorexia head trying to make me feel guilty etc, but when i went to weigh myself this morning i was fully prepared for my weight to have go up a lot as i hadn’t been able to do my walking. but to my surprise it had actually gone down 0.5kg - so i’m just a bit confused that consistent exercise ≠ weight loss & less exercise + more food = weight loss. or is it just a coincidence?
    thank you

Because you mention walking 30k - 40k steps every day, "anorexia head," and your weight of 47kg and 48kg (104 - 106 pounds,) I have to ask: how tall are you, why are you walking so much per day, and do you have an eating disorder history?
  • alice8829
    alice8829 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

kshama2001 wrote: »

thank you

Because you mention walking 30k - 40k steps every day, "anorexia head," and your weight of 47kg and 48kg (104 - 106 pounds,) I have to ask: how tall are you, why are you walking so much per day, and do you have an eating disorder history?

i’m 5ft6 and yes i have ed

• alice8829
    alice8829 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You're at just 100lbs. That's normal for someone at 5 foot tall. Why are you trying to lose weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i’m 5ft6 & because i want to i guess?
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    @alice8829 Hi there, how old are you? Thanks for providing your other stats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    edited June 2023
    Options

thank you

Please talk with your ED treatment team. If you don't have an ED treatment team, please find one.

I'm around your height, so have a feel for what 100 pounds would be like at a range of body compositions (percentages of fat/lean). One hundred pounds is not a healthy goal . . . it's far from a healthy goal.

Please don't try to lose weight. Please talk with your treatment team.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

thank you

Do discuss this with your ED treatment team. If you don't currently have one, please get one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i’m 5ft6 & because i want to i guess?
    5'6 and just over 100lbs? Unless you have no muscle at all, you'd be underweight. This is more of a disorder that should be addressed.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 35 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png