Ways To Get Moving When Stuck At A Desk?

Options
Hello MFP community,

I'd love to get some suggestions on how I can get moving more at my job!

I work as a receptionist at a nursing facility. I'm stuck at the desk answering calls, unlocking the door for visitors, etc., sometimes for 12 hour shifts. It's a real killer for my fitness goals.

Should I just get up and do exercises at my station (even though I might get some strange looks)? Are there more subtle ways to get my body moving at my desk?

All input is appreciated :smiley:

Replies

• BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Are you active otherwise through out your day? I have a desk job and I make sure to get up and walk a couple miles in the morning. And then I'll workout on the days I'm off. Through out the day, I make it a point to get up and move around. And I usually walk a mile or two on my lunch break. It adds up overtime.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    Some common ones: Standing desk, exercise-ball chair, under-desk pedal "bike"/elliptical/treadmill.

If you do a web search on "desk exercises", there are dozens of exercises. Some would look eccentric, others more subtle.

You might also find some ideas in this thread, even though it's more general (and long):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • ANewNelle94
    ANewNelle94 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @BeanieBean93 it's hard to be active during the rest of the day when I work 12 hours, 8 am - 8 pm. And I don't get a lunch break, I take my lunch at my desk while still working...

@AnnPT77 I can't get a standing desk, it's the facilities desk and it's one of those big, built in desks.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and look like a weirdo doing exercises at my station, lol
  • BeanieBean93
    BeanieBean93 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @BeanieBean93 it's hard to be active during the rest of the day when I work 12 hours, 8 am - 8 pm. And I don't get a lunch break, I take my lunch at my desk while still working...

@AnnPT77 I can't get a standing desk, it's the facilities desk and it's one of those big, built in desks.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and look like a weirdo doing exercises at my station, lol

I'm not sure where you live, but we are legally required to take a lunch break if we work over a certain amount of consecutive hours. Activity level aside, if your job refuses to let you take a lunch break you might want to check with your HR department. I'm in sales and even if we choose to work through our lunch break, we are required to clock out and clock back in to have a break on the books.

My co-worker does a super quick little workout every time she goes to the bathroom. Like 25 squats, 25 lunges, and 25 pushups on the edge of the sink. If you work a 12 hour shift and take 4 bathroom breaks, that's 100 of each. It won't be fast results but it might help over time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

If you are in the US, what state are you in?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options

There are all sorts of converters available to allow standing at a regular desk.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=standing+desk+converter&hvadid=616990905329&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9022171&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2835330054264046069&hvtargid=kwd-39848560647&hydadcr=24631_13611696&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_7t63sggaao_e

Sample:dmpaptl6ya6g.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,661 Member
    Options
    Pedal bike under the desk. Basic things like pushups, lunges, jumping jacks. There are so many ways to work out a few minutes at a time on breaks with just body weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ANewNelle94
    Options
    I'm not sure where you live, but we are legally required to take a lunch break if we work over a certain amount of consecutive hours. Activity level aside, if your job refuses to let you take a lunch break you might want to check with your HR department. I'm in sales and even if we choose to work through our lunch break, we are required to clock out and clock back in to have a break on the books.

@BeanieBean93 unfortunately, HR is one gentleman that has no issue with me not getting breaks. No one in the management seems to see it as an issue.
    I sit at the desk and I eat, read books, etc. right where I work. The required time for a lunch break is automatically taken out of my total hours worked for the day :neutral:
    I've been told that if I ever need a break to just ask; but I asked for a 10-15 minute break the other day from the HR guy and he never came to relieve me. I ended up having to ask the MDS girl to cover for me. Which she was happy to, but all this is besides the point.
    It sucks, but it's an easy job that I really needed.

I think an under the desk pedal bike would be a good idea, especially to keep the blood flowing in my legs if I'm stuck sitting for extended periods. Other than that, I'll just find ways to squeeze in exercises in the slow times, or do a lap around the office halls any time I get up to go to the bathroom, or something like that :smiley:

• kshama2001
    Options

@BeanieBean93 unfortunately, HR is one gentleman that has no issue with me not getting breaks. No one in the management seems to see it as an issue.
    I sit at the desk and I eat, read books, etc. right where I work. The required time for a lunch break is automatically taken out of my total hours worked for the day :neutral:
    I've been told that if I ever need a break to just ask; but I asked for a 10-15 minute break the other day from the HR guy and he never came to relieve me. I ended up having to ask the MDS girl to cover for me. Which she was happy to, but all this is besides the point.

I think an under the desk pedal bike would be a good idea, especially to keep the blood flowing in my legs if I'm stuck sitting for extended periods. Other than that, I'll just find ways to squeeze in exercises in the slow times, or do a lap around the office halls any time I get up to go to the bathroom, or something like that :smiley:

It doesn't matter what HR and management think, you getting time deducted for a lunch break that you are not relieved in order to take is wage theft.

• RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have a lift desk like the one that’s posted in a previous comment on here. I can raise and lower it as needed. Take some exercise bands to work or some dumbbells. I have a 6lb set of dumbbells under my desk. I use the bands as well. I park farther away from work and take the long way to the bathroom, etc to get my steps in. Search sitting exercises on YouTube. Good luck and yes, as others have said… not getting a break is wage theft. Your state should have a department of labor - look up your rights!
  • ANewNelle94
    Options
    @kshama2001 I'm in NY
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It doesn't matter what HR and management think, you getting time deducted for a lunch break that you are not relieved in order to take is wage theft.

To be fair, it does matter what HR and management thinks if one wants to keep the job they have. And HR works for the company, not the employee, so they do what's in the best interest of the company. Many companies have a "we just work through lunch cause that's what we do to keep things going" policy. And you can basically either go along or get out. Because they're going to say "well, we didn't force them to work through lunch, they chose to. That's up to them" as soon as the labor department gets involved. And as soon as labor goes "oh, ok" the company goes back to business as usual.
  • AshleyHeffner82
    AshleyHeffner82 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have an Apple Watch that pings me to get up and get moving every hour!! It helps. I am at a desk as well and lose track of time because I’m on back ti back calls for work. But I get up and move around. I try and walk in the morning before work. And then after work (even tired) I will walk in “laps” in my living room/kitchen around my island or couch 🥴🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ to get my exercise ring closed. I put my pods in or I watch something on tv or listen to a book etc.
    and yes I would totally get up and get weird looks at the desk if that’s what you have to do. You matter and your fitness does too. So I say go for it and make it work for you!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @kshama2001 I'm in NY

If I am reading this page from the NY Department of Labor correctly, you are entitled to a 30 minute and a 20 minute break: https://dol.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2021/03/meal-and-rest-periods-frequently-asked-questions.pdf

I am confident that if you start asking for it regularly, they will get in the habit of giving it to you regularly. :)