Doing it in my 40s

Options
Hi everyone! I was in the worst shape of my life about 5 years ago. Eating too much of the wrong foods, drinking too much, not being active, etc. In 2020, I joined weight watchers and lost 35 lbs. Yay! Solely based on diet. Then my dad passed unexpectedly from complications from covid. I coped with food and wine and found myself in another bad place. Not quite as bad as my worst, but close.
I had several false restarts with ww, but I just couldn't commit fully. I just joined a gym this last week and have been going daily in the mornings with my teenage son and I am loving it. One hour of strength and cardio in the morning and I feel so energized and good. I'm praying to God this will stick! I want to feel good in my body and while I'm under no delusions to look like my 25 year old self again, I know I can look and feel much better.
So I'm using mfp to help track my journey towards better health. My Dad was so active and put effort into his health which is part of the reason I have a lot of anger that he had to die from BS covid. But I know he'd be proud of me.
Hoping to find other women my age to share the journey with.

Replies

• eileensbeal
    eileensbeal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ok well. I’m not your age. I am a young 61. It happened all of the sudden! I was enjoying my life and boom. I feel old. But seriously it’s all very valid yet bc I am a former life long obese person I cannot believe I am where I am. Just had to get through getting my mom settled into ljngterm care from 4.5 hours away. It could be worse. Thankfully I have this amazing husband and we are a mom and pop handyman company… so I just got back from 29 days helping my mom get to the point of walking e standby help and going to meals and activities again and I gained 15 pounds in like 6 weeks! It’s all at the end of a healthcare crisis that started in Oct of 2022. 11 days in the hospital started all of this. Hemoglobim was dangerously low and so they kept her. Dismissed into skilled rehab. Came home the day before thanksgiving and fell the first night. 911 was called bc I couldn’t get her up… so then we had 4 weeks of “giving it a go” until it was apparent the last week of Dec she had to commit to long term care and leave her independent t living apartment. So I’ve basically been there… 4.5 hours from home being my moms advocate. Which I do appreciate my husband for his amazing understanding and support. (I drive there and back so I have a vehicle while there). Anyway. I’m on day 3 of trying to hit my macros. Failing failing failing. So today I decided to just focus on carbs. And then reign in days and proteins when I get that down. Does that sound right? Won’t I still hit ketosis bc I’m low carb?
    Anyway. All of that to say I’ve also started walk g 2-2.5 miles a day. When I was with my mom it was basically flat city sidewalk walking. Good thing. Bc where I live there are slight increases and decreases in incline on my walks. Wow. Where did these sore muscle come from! Lol but shocked. Anyway. Yes.
  • zimmermanlcortney
    zimmermanlcortney Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m 34 and looking to lose 50lbs at least. I just had a baby and gained a lot. Add me for support. I’ll like and comment on your posts.