skinny people....who have never been fat!

Options
13»

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Coming as a skinner person, I think for me, It's about self control.

I can stop at only 3 or 4 fries and not eat the whole container.. or I can have just a serving of cookies and not eat the whole darn bag.

I eat chocolate all the the time.. but I'll only eat half the bar and save the rest for the next day. That way I'm still getting what I want, but I'm not eating massive portions. No point in drooling over something and denying yourself.. cause thats only going to make you binge.

I wish I could do this.

with me it's all or nothing.

I crave WHOLE bags of chips and WHOLE packages of oreos..and if I have a few, I WILL eat the WHOLE thing. So I just don't eat it.
    I have no problem saying "no, I can't have that" and it doesn't drive me crazy or make me want it more. I can abstain. But if I do decide to have a "Few" it inevitably ends up "all".

See, thats where I get confused.

If you can abstain from eating it totally, then why can't you just have a serving and be done? It's basically the same thing in my eyes, except your eating what your craving.

My mind set is, I can always go back for more.. but once I have that little taste, it satisfies what I need and then I'm done.

That's like trying to explain why the sunset is pretty. It just is. Like some people don't have that full switch, some of us don't have the "a little is enough" switch.

I keep hearing about how French women aren't fat because they have a little taste of everything and that the first bite tastes better than anything after, so they can stop easily.

For me, the last bite tastes as good as the first. I don't have that "switch." And while I know I can have more later, it's too tasty -- too pleasurable -- to just stop after that first bite.

Meh, makes sense but to each their own.

I get the french woman analogy. If I'm eating a grilled chicken breast, the first bite is great.. then after that it's blah because it's the same tastes over and over.. there is nothing different about each bite after the first.. so in my eyes, might as well eat a little bit of everything and enjoy the whole feast than just stick with one or two set foods.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    The only time I really think about my food choices is when I'm on this site - I just don't have time to think about food all day, too many other things going on. Plus I love food and won't deprive myself of something that adds so much pleasure to my life. I totally get how easy it is to obsess about it though... I recently posted the following in another thread -
    A few years back I started watching sugar and carbs, after a few months it did become obsessive. It wasn't good - I was spending way too much time thinking about food. I couldn't open my refrigerator for a snack without calculating. And it would really bother me if I went over my goal, almost anxiety producing.

Instead of adding to my life it was starting to take away from it.

Anyway, I stopped. It did take some time to not look at food like that anymore, but it did happen. It was so nice to have goals in my life not based on carbs, and to think about something other than food.

I didn't feel guilt or shame if I went over my sugar goal, I felt annoyed. I don't know why it annoyed me but I'm not going to analyze it or dwell on it. :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I can stop at only 3 or 4 fries and not eat the whole container.. or I can have just a serving of cookies and not eat the whole darn bag.

I eat chocolate all the the time.. but I'll only eat half the bar and save the rest for the next day. That way I'm still getting what I want, but I'm not eating massive portions. No point in drooling over something and denying yourself.. cause thats only going to make you binge.

I wish I could do this.

I crave WHOLE bags of chips and WHOLE packages of oreos..and if I have a few, I WILL eat the WHOLE thing. So I just don't eat it.
    I have no problem saying "no, I can't have that" and it doesn't drive me crazy or make me want it more. I can abstain. But if I do decide to have a "Few" it inevitably ends up "all".

If you can abstain from eating it totally, then why can't you just have a serving and be done? It's basically the same thing in my eyes, except your eating what your craving.

My mind set is, I can always go back for more.. but once I have that little taste, it satisfies what I need and then I'm done.

That's like trying to explain why the sunset is pretty. It just is. Like some people don't have that full switch, some of us don't have the "a little is enough" switch.

I keep hearing about how French women aren't fat because they have a little taste of everything and that the first bite tastes better than anything after, so they can stop easily.

For me, the last bite tastes as good as the first. I don't have that "switch." And while I know I can have more later, it's too tasty -- too pleasurable -- to just stop after that first bite.

I get the french woman analogy. If I'm eating a grilled chicken breast, the first bite is great.. then after that it's blah because it's the same tastes over and over.. there is nothing different about each bite after the first.. so in my eyes, might as well eat a little bit of everything and enjoy the whole feast than just stick with one or two set foods.

It's not so much a "to each their own" situation. It isn't like I CHOOSE to eat the whole bag of cookies. Well, in a way, yes, I do. But that trigger in my brain is very strong. If someone took it away, I wouldn't seek it out. But if it's in front of me, it's tough and I always give in, even if I stay away for hours, I will go back to it. I can't stop thinking about it.

So I don't keep those things in my house that trigger that response. I won't go to the store to buy them on a whim, but if they're in the kitchen, I'll eat them.

I wish I could be like you and just walk away and not think about it again. That would make my life a lot better in the sense of food! lol

So, my choice is to avoid or just buy single servings of things.
  • hotjacki85
    hotjacki85 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i was one of those skinny people..... ate 2 big mac meals a day.... ate pizza for dinner NIGHTLY... Now had a kid and PAYING for it!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Im one of those people ^^ I only gained weight (but still wasn't considered "fat," although I developed health issues <.<) after eating around 6,000+ calories per day for a few months.

It is harder to get weight off than it is to maintain for me though, so I know the feeling ^^

I eat lots of fiber-packed cereals, whole grain bread w/jam, and popsicles or chocolate fudge bars (only 80 calories each and 6 for $1 at the dollar tree)...but it's hard not eating candy bars and what not!
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options

I wish I could do this.

It's not so much a "to each their own" situation. It isn't like I CHOOSE to eat the whole bag of cookies. Well, in a way, yes, I do. But that trigger in my brain is very strong. If someone took it away, I wouldn't seek it out. But if it's in front of me, it's tough and I always give in, even if I stay away for hours, I will go back to it. I can't stop thinking about it.

So I don't keep those things in my house that trigger that response. I won't go to the store to buy them on a whim, but if they're in the kitchen, I'll eat them.

I wish I could be like you and just walk away and not think about it again. That would make my life a lot better in the sense of food! lol

So, my choice is to avoid or just buy single servings of things.

Me too. Abstaining on the whole is fine, but one taste and I can't concentrate on anything else til the whole lot is done. It's horrible as you can't really enjoy the things you enjoy. Like the above, I wish it were different, but it's almost not a choice. of course it IS, but it doesn't feel like it. I do feel it's like an addiction, the way the alcoholic or drug user is compelled to have more. Bah!
  • mbcla23
    mbcla23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have never understood why people like food so I think that is why I stay skinny. I know that sounds odd, but I eat if I’m hungry, but I never crave any foods. Neither does my mom or sisters. Dulled tastebuds maybe? Been this way since I was a little kid. I don’t goto restaurants. I eat extremely healthy. I think part of it is I have a lot of food allergies-so all those good foods people enjoy like pizza, sweets, fried foods, alcohol, soda, coffee have always gotten me extremely sick, rashes, etc. So I sort of had the Clockwork Orange treatment of food and just dislike it. I don’t snack. I eat at the same time every day.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    12 year old thread resurrected to tell us you don’t have a problem over eating or thinking/craving any sort of food.

One might ask why you’re logged into a calorie counting app? 🤷‍♀️
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,609 Member
    Options
    12 year old thread resurrected to tell us you don’t have a problem over eating or thinking/craving any sort of food.

One might ask why you’re logged into a calorie counting app? 🤷‍♀️

Only commenting b/c I can't hit the like multiple times. So.... 👍👍👍
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    In my 20's to 30's, I could eat just about anything I wanted. I worked a door to door job 10 hours a day and only ate fast food during the week and cooked for myself on the weekends. I also worked out everyday. But alas, as I aged, I had to curtail how much I ate. And add cardio in (which I didn't do in my 20's and 30's). Luckily for me, I still workout everyday (albeit modified for my age) and can still eat what I want.............I just have to limit how much.
    As for chocolate candy bars. Not uncommon for me to down 2 Hershey or Snickers bars whenever I eat chocolate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    snookumss wrote: »
    I have a large clientele of strippers (night time sales) and they just eat and eat and eat! Chicken wings every night, big 'ol burgers and the worst things I could possibly make, when I eat a burger maybe once a month!

They are young (young-ish) and they worked up their appetite. You try 6-8 hours of dancing per night.