Workout partners/accountabilibuddys

Options
Hi just curious do people prefer working out by themselves or with a partner or group or even trainer?

I have made quite a bit of progress over the summer by myself but I do miss working out with my uni's weightlifting society - I just find it more fun and energising and I have people to correct my form etc.

For privacy I won't say where I am exactly but if anyone's in Scotland and wants a gym session together dm me and if we're close we could work something out :)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    ReReNotMe wrote: »
    Hi just curious do people prefer working out by themselves or with a partner or group or even trainer?

Um . . . yes?

I like rowing boats with my rowing buddies. I like riding my bike alone, or with a friend, or on group rides. When it's not on-water/on-trail season - since we have very cold, snowy Winters here - I do machine rowing or stationary biking at home. I usually lift or do floor exercises, stretching, or yoga alone.

I've taken group classes in the past and enjoyed them (well, some of them!), but stopped during the pandemic and haven't gotten back into it again.

So, personally: Variety.
    I have made quite a bit of progress over the summer by myself but I do miss working out with my uni's weightlifting society - I just find it more fun and energising and I have people to correct my form etc.

For privacy I won't say where I am exactly but if anyone's in Scotland and wants a gym session together dm me and if we're close we could work something out :)

I'm about 3500 miles from Scotland, and probably at least 3 times your age, so I don't think that's viable. But I'm sure it would be fun. ;)

In my experience, if I take a class at a gym, or go there at the same time on the same schedule, gym buddies can happen kind of organically . . . but it takes time.

Best wishes!

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    No, I prefer to go by myself and get it done. I have tried with a buddy, and they either flake out and don't go, or I sit there waiting for them to finish, or whatever. I am very introverted though, so I generally like to be by myself anyway. I don't need someone to make me accountable for my own actions.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Definitely prefer to workout alone, however, I also love the gym atmosphere. I do my own workout, but I enjoy all the other people there and the variety of activities. I don't personally interact with anyone (short chat here and there, of course), but I still feed off of their energy. Sometimes an empty gym is nice, but I don't mind one buzzing with activity, either.

Weekend morning walks and hikes are also solo. That's my quiet meditation time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I've like having a walking partner, and a yoga partner, and enjoyed the few small group PT classes I've taken, but overall vastly prefer working out by myself. But that's me :)

Maybe look on Facebook for gym buddies in smaller social groups. I'm in a private FB group for gardening and would feel comfortable meeting people IRL with whom I'd interacted there for a while. And/or Meetup, or its Scottish equivalent.