STARS 9 WEEK HOLIDAY CHALLENGE (CLOSED GROUP)

Options

Replies

• MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    SUNDAY 9/25/11 : Can you identify any weight loss 'downfalls' that you are prone to and if so, what can you do to curb them over the next nine weeks?

WOW - I sound like a few of you! My downfall is my emotions or stress - when I have something going on - be it good or bad but mainly bad things - I turn to food. Instead of turning to food when things get to me I need to go for a walk, call a friend or better yet turn to the only ONE that can make things better. I am a carb addict so when I turn to something that is where I go - straight to the bread/sugar isle. The bad thing is that when I get started I am like a druggie and got on a binge for days.
    With the STARS support (especially the yellow ones WOOT WOOT!) I hope the next nine weeks will set a new habit!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    QOTD-SUNDAY: Can you identify any weight loss 'downfalls' that you are prone to and if so, what can you do to curb them over the next nine weeks?

Someone else mentioned drinking but for me its not the drinks per se, its that drinking gives me horrible munchies and NO self control with food. It just makes me want to eat and eat and eat. I can have ONE pint of beer or glass of wine (or equivalent hard alcohol) and I am fine but as soon as I tip over the line to slightly tipsy, I want to eat. Put food in front of me and I will eat it all and if there isnt' food in front of me I will go seek it out.

So I kind of realized I just can't get drunk or tipsy at all. One drink and that's that. Kinda sucks because I am great at moderation in everything else but up my blood alcohol a bit and boom, I want to eat. The good thing is that because I AM good at moderation in everything else (I'm good about exercising, good about watching what I eat for the most part) if I ever do want to go out and splurge I can - but I will seriously eat like 1000 over my calories just from drinking that day, seriously. Its nuts.

Also for you people that hate veggies - have you tried raw vs grilled vs steamed vs parboiled etc etc etc? Changes the flavor and textural profile quite a bit. I probably don't get all my servings of fruits and veggies daily. I don't cook at either, I eat nearly every meal out.
  • legacysh
    Options
    9/24/2011 QOTD- Saturday: What made you decide that now was the time to start your weight loss journey?”

Sorry, i got really sick yesterday and did not log in. So I will answer this one then the next.

I had already lost over 100 pounds twice in my life. I ahd maintained for a long time, but saw that my weight started to creep up. I needed to have some surgery in the spring and I wanted my recovery to be as easy as possible, so I was determined to lose as much as I could pre-surgery. I did that, then had 2 surgeries in may and July. I have been maintaining, but i still want to lose a little more. I don't want to lose the motivation. I haven't been this weight since high school and it feels great!.
  • legacysh
    Options
    SUNDAY 9/25/11 : Can you identify any weight loss 'downfalls' that you are prone to and if so, what can you do to curb them over the next nine weeks?

If I eat a lot of calories early in the day and think I can balance it by exercising later in the day. It seems I never get that exercise in or I just give up and figure I'm done for the day , continue to overeat and have to start tomorrow. Sick game my head plays with me.

I have to try to exercise early, and not count any calories I haven't earned yet!
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    QOTD-SUNDAY: Can you identify any weight loss 'downfalls' that you are prone to and if so, what can you do to curb them over the next nine weeks?

If anything, I would say my weight loss downfalls are fast food temptations. Fast food taste soooooooo good. If I stay busy and don't eat lunch or breakfast, I end up eating pizza and hot wings is my favorite quick fix. I have been doing ok lately, I am working out, drinking more water, and eating smaller portions. This is all recent, so its still work in progress. I am starting something new this week trying to eat 6 small meals,portion control. If I get results at the end of the week I will continue. So still working on my weight loss downfalls.
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    QOTD-SUNDAY 09/25: Can you identify any weight loss 'downfalls' that you are prone to and if so, what can you do to curb them over the next nine weeks?

My biggest weight loss downfall is willpower. I seem to have none when it comes to food. First, I am an emotional eater, with almost every emotion making me want to eat horrible, greasy, or fried food. The more emotional I feel, the worse I feel like eating. Another downfall is not being prepared. I often rush aorund to get my kids and I ready for the day and am really good about not packing a lunch. What do you do when you live 30 min from, work and you forgot lunch? Yep, fast food again. Last week I decided to do a mini grocery shopping trip on my way to work Monday morning so I had lunch food already there for the week, and I pplan on continuing this. As far as willpower, and I am working on telling myself No. I did it all last week, and did pretty well. I just need to keep it up. I am hoping to use my teammates and my other MFpals to help keep me on track. Maybe I will post when I am wanting to say Yes instead of No?I am looking forward to overcoming these and helping you all overcome yours whenever possible!
  • 6eighteen11
    Options
    9/25/11 QOTD: Can you identify any weight loss 'downfalls' that you are prone to and if so, what can you do to curb them over the next nine weeks?

I think my downfall is overindulging on the weekends. I can rock it out all week long, but when the weekend hits, all I want to do is get together with my friends, drink cocktails and munch on snacks. And motivation to workout to make up for all that eating and drinking is totally non-existant. My husband and I have both decided to cut back on drinking (especially over the weekend), so hopefully without the alcohol controlling my brain the desire to snack unhealthy foods all night will also stop. I've also committed myself to working out earlier in the day, as a way to motivate myself to "be good" all day long. If I've already worked out, I'll be more likely to think twice before throwing away all that hard work to crappy food.
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Hi everyone!!!
    My weight loss downfall is definitely my emotional eating. I'm currently dealing with many frustrating and hard things, so I want to just run to the nearest restaurant. When I had lost 50 pounds 3 years ago, I had the same problem, but I learned to do something that I call "just sit with it." I would just sit with the uncomfortable feeling and ride it out. Eventually it would go away, and maybe I would even have to wait until the next morning. Interestingly, I became emotionally healthier than I had ever been.

Tonight I'm wanting to have my husband go and get us Mexican, but I'm not. I'm trying to just "sit with it" and make it through the evening. The first days are always the hardest for me.

Thanks for being with me on this journey.
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options

WOW! I am so not alone like I thought I was. I'm an emotional eater. I felt like I was reading a description of me in multiple answers. "Just Sit With It" is a great motto. I'm definitely an emotional eater and have gotten in the habit that i deserve a treat...but it doesn't mean I should get food treats. I've been working on replacing that tendency with something else positive. Getting to read my book, going for a walk, blowing off the dishes, getting a new pair of shoes, etc. are how I'm trying to replace it.

I've also found that sometimes I'm thirsty when I think I want food. Breads, fried/salty foods are my biggest weaknesses. I love veggies and fruit and working out. I just eat too much and beat myself up when I make mistakes. My self talk is improving and thanks to a loving Heavenly Father, He's helping me see my worth is not just in my physical appearance. This weakness will become a strength.

Good luck to everyone! I hope you all sleep very well and have a great and successful Monday!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

One word. Pizza. Seriously, it is nuts. I had to change my diet due to PCOS last year, and I can cut out all the processed crap with no problems. But, if I even think about pizza I have to have it. I am good at only eating on piece with a big salad, but then it is in my fridge for a week, and I have to have one piece a day to get rid of it. It is horrible. Seriously the only thing that I crave since I changed my diet. I hardly ever go over my calories (even on pizza days), but my body doesn't like it and I will gain weight back from one piece. I need to learn to have more self control when it comes to that cheesy goodness. :(

I am not sure how to curb these cravings, or what to do when they hit. Right now I am trying to just talk myself out of it. You don't need it Naomi!
  • Gazer362
    Gazer362 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sunday 9/25/11 Can you identify any weight loss 'downfalls' that you're prone to and if so what can you do to curb them over the next nine weeks?

I have multiple issues, like hating to exercise and emotional eating. But I think my biggest issue is a lack of preplanning meals. I'm not a cook and we eat out often as a result. I have a ton of lowfat type cookbooks just sitting on the shelf. I'm making a big effort to go through them looking for everyday, simple meals to cook. When I make one that we like, I copy the recipe and put it in a new binder that I can go to for successful, simple meals.
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    hi everyone - just saying if i dont check in for a couple of days im still here - just being really ill atm. was up all night last night. going back to the drs today hopefully. keep up all the good work. xxx
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, its my day for the QOTD, so here we go. Happy Monday!

MONDAY 9/26/11 : Since we are all at different points in this weight loss process, what has helped you to be the most successful in weight loss, exercise, or staying within your calories so far?

For me, I think it is a combination of things. I am a total of 41 lbs down now, and I think there are a few things that truly make it happen for me. First, I cut out processed carbs (mostly). That was the key for me because I have PCOS, so my body doesn't know what to do with simple sugars. I also think that drinking more water is critical to losing weight. I can tell when I don't drink enough water (more than 12 glasses) because the scale doesn't move. Staying motivated to go to the gym was really hard for me at first. I was tired after work and just wanted to sit on the couch, but I forced myself to get up and out every day, and now it is a habit. I know that part of that motivation comes from wanting to beat people. So, I find someone that I see alot and try to do better than them. Lately it is this guy at the gym that can run for like 2 hours at a time. I will never beat him, but dang it I am going to try. :) Staying under my calories is actually the easiest part of the day for me (most days). Since I can't eat processed carbs, I tend to stay away from most carbs (with the exception of fruits and veggies), and we all know that carbs make up a huge portion of our calories in a day. Because of this I end up eating fewer calories in fruits, veggies, healthy fats, and protein and tend to not eat enough food. I really have to TRY to hit my calorie goal most days (especially after I have gone to the gym and have exercise calories to eat).

Looking forward to reading about what has worked for others.
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    MONDAY 9/26/11 : Since we are all at different points in this weight loss process, what has helped you to be the most successful in weight loss, exercise, or staying within your calories so far?

For me it would have to be simply not having money right now. LOL I get paid on Friday and by Sunday the money is completely gone with maybe $20 in the bank for the next 2 weeks until next payday. So it's impossible for me to get fast food often and fast food is a huge issue for me. So not having any extra money really does help that!

This site has helped with the exercise. I really do not want to not have exercise listed daily, so even if I don't want to do it, I do it anyway so that I don't look bad on here. Ha! We also got a dog in July, and I have to walk her daily, so even if I do no other exercise I will at least get a walk in for her sake. :smile:
  • MFPSTARSCHALLENGE
    Options
    All I am reposting the team list as an image.

6185605752_52bf5d1169.jpg
    Team by starsnyc21, on Flickr
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options

Taking things one day at a time has helped me the most. I have had a lot of health set backs this summer. For me personally, it's hard sometimes just to be able to walk because I'm so weak. It was discouraging because I felt like I was making major headway when it all hit in June. Being tired doesn't help me want to eat well, but I know it's a cycle of feeling bad and not eating well so I try to pick what will help me feel best. It's made a big difference. That and I'm determined - I DO NOT give up! It is taking much longer than I hoped for, but things are improving. Reminding myself that I'm trying to change 30+ years of habits doesn't happen overnight. Just keep fighting and I'll eventually make it to the Summit one step in front of the other.
  • legacysh
    Options

Good question! I think my number one motivator was trying to get healthy before surgery. I am a slow healer, and I did not want to be stuck in bed. It really did make a difference, but I decided I wanted to lose 10 more pounds, and this has not been as easy. My motivation now is to look better than the other lead singer I work with. She is a tall Blonde buxom gal with a tiny waist. I feel short and stocky next to her when we perform. So that is my new motivation. i can't get taller, but I can get more fit and feel better about myself.
  • sboo
    sboo Posts: 170 Member
    Options

So, far what is helping me in my weight loss process is my co-workers and friends. I have been exercising with a personal trainer, logging my foods to stay focused, and increased my water intake. This is all in a month or two, so its still work in progress. But, I think know I have all the tools for weight loss success. I hope to reach my first goal by the end of this challenge.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Well I am right there with you Nenabug. This summer was a huge set back for me. Up until June I was on fire. Working out 4-5x a week and eating right. I was down 30lbs and than I got injured. Than in July I found out my lil sister was sick and than I let the wrong people back into my life again. So now I'm struggling to get back into the swing of things because I'm not ready to give up on myself. You all are helping me so much with the challenge and all the participation and support is just what I need.

So before I was derailed in my weight loss, I spent every Sunday writing down my weekly goals (how many times I would workout, how many calories I would eat a day, etc.) This really help me stay focus. Plus working out in the mornings was the best healthy habit I developed. It set the mood for the rest of the day. Also if anyone get a chance search Zig Zag'n calories. It helped me push through plateaus.
  • mummy_gerdes
    mummy_gerdes Posts: 336 Member
    Options

i think being on here has already helped me. :D everyone is so supportive and there is no judging which has really boosted me up. i can write what i like and say how i feel without feeling like i am going to be judged on a bad day. i have joined a gym through work and in the beginning i went 3 times a week and i am definatley going to go back to it but its hard to get back into doing something when you have had to have a period off - especially exercise for me - i broke my toe so was unable to exercise for 6 weeks!! so i had just got out of the habit. i find that reference calories - if i plan my day the night before or the morning of in my diary then i stick to it! it has really helped to see what i eat and i have been shocked at some of the calories i would have normally been putting into my body! :O

any way keep up the good work!! xxx