What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    National holiday today so I did a workout at home. Today is meant to be deadlifts, OHP, chin-ups, back assistance and a ton of abs. But couldn't do some of those things because I was at home. And also still babying my back. So it was:
    • Warmup
    • Deadlifts- 5 sets of 3
    • Overhead Press- 3 sets of 5
    • Low position dumbbell row- 3 sets of 10
    • Snatch grip barbell shrugs- 3 sets of 8
    • Dumbbell bicep curls- 3 sets of 10
    • Curl-ups- 4 sets, 12 seconds each side

Back held up great again. I started using 5/3/1 for OHP this week and will start using it for deadlifts next week. With the way the program works it takes quite a long time before the reps are hard, so should be a good way to get back into it. When I was at my strongest before I used more aggressive programming for my squat and 5/3/1 for my deadlift, and it worked really well, so I thought I would do that again and also apply it to OHP. I haven't had a proper go at getting stronger for such a long time because of work and injuries, really excited to see how this goes.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I felt the need to get back into an off-season training approach a bit earlier than normal this year, since I'm not satisfied with my current conditioning and bodyweight. While my cycling fitness is very good, the numbers don't lie when it comes to swimming running and the bathroom scale. ;)

So yesterday, I started with a beginner's mindset related to running. Did a 45 minute SLOW jog, going 4min on, 1 min off. The purpose was to keep my heart rate at Z2 or below. I'm going to do more frequent runs (3x/week) at a very gentle pace for now while continuing my cycling and open water swimming. I'm backing off my jumping rope for now, since my back and posterior chain muscles are frequently sore. I'll resume jumping after I build more run fitness and drop some more weight.

I also decided to take advantage of my health plan's free dietician service. I met with an RD last week and we crafted a plan to fuel my long workouts while also supporting a slow weight loss and keeping an eye on my A1C number. No great changes, just some tweaks to my overall volume and changes in timing of carb intake. She was a bit surprised when I showed up with copies of my fitness charts, sample food diaries, Lipid panel data, etc. We spent an hour together and at the end, she said "This has been a lot of fun", so I"m guessing that I was not her typical client consult, lol.

Rainout today, so maybe just a pool swim. I'm looking forward to riding a new route tomorrow through NW Connecticut and western Mass with my tri club pals. It's a route that follows a river through farmlands that parallel the Berkshire foothills. The scenery should distract us from the pain of climbing. :)

• williamsonmj1
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    So yesterday, I started with a beginner's mindset related to running. Did a 45 minute SLOW jog, going 4min on, 1 min off. The purpose was to keep my heart rate at Z2 or below. I'm going to do more frequent runs (3x/week) at a very gentle pace for now while continuing my cycling and open water swimming. I'm backing off my jumping rope for now, since my back and posterior chain muscles are frequently sore. I'll resume jumping after I build more run fitness and drop some more weight.

Beginners' mindset is a great mindset! From my reading, and from my experience, doing a lot of running at a pretty low pace has great results.

• Djproulx
    Options

Beginners' mindset is a great mindset! From my reading, and from my experience, doing a lot of running at a pretty low pace has great results.

I'm an experienced older runner who has worked with several running coaches over the years. The trouble is that I was injured last year and didn't take enough time to rebuild my run fitness to match my bike and swim fitness for triathlon races.

After several poor run showings and no more races scheduled for this year, I'll go back to basics. I make very solid run progress doing 3-4 runs/week at a Z2 heartrate, while also cycling and swimming. The key for me is NOT to skip regular runs in favor of the other sports. My approach this season was to try to push hard in races, and I just didn't have the run fitness. It didn't work well.

Now I'll do the 2/3 short easy runs and one longer run each week. After I build up base aerobic and muscular fitness over the fall/winter, I'll think about some occasional speed work next spring.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Lower Power in the weight room

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 4x10
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did get yesterday's planned run in. 45 minutes slow but probably not Z2. :smile: HR jumped to about 140 to start and then traced a slow steady climb to 170. Maybe I should try the run / walk intervals like @Djproulx describes.

Swimming this afternoon, 1700scm, all front crawl. Pushed a bit for the last 100 and the watch says I came in at 1:44. Still not where it used to be but, in baggy trunks and dragging a big beard, it's starting to get better. For variety I walked to the pool and back, 3.2~3.3km each way depending on the route. I did the usual short elliptical early this morning and may yet get the bike out for a short ride this evening.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Thursday morning I did a short pilates workout focusing on core and glutes to try and help my back. Unfortunately had to spend about 4 hours total driving for work throughout the day which wasn't fun, so I made sure I got to the gym after work. Wasn't feeling legs so focused on arms and core.

Friday morning I did another pilates routine before work. Have loads on over the next few days and then am away for a wedding so have decided to make the next week a bit of a deload week, with no pressure to do anything other than walking, yoga and a bit of pilates as and when I feel like it. Also going to take the opportunity to mix up my gym routine and increase weights when I go back as well.
  • Djproulx
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I did get yesterday's planned run in. 45 minutes slow but probably not Z2. :smile: HR jumped to about 140 to start and then traced a slow steady climb to 170. Maybe I should try the run / walk intervals like @Djproulx describes.

Swimming this afternoon, 1700scm, all front crawl. Pushed a bit for the last 100 and the watch says I came in at 1:44. Still not where it used to be but, in baggy trunks and dragging a big beard, it's starting to get better. For variety I walked to the pool and back, 3.2~3.3km each way depending on the route. I did the usual short elliptical early this morning and may yet get the bike out for a short ride this evening.

@Ernest_Nigma. Nice productive day! As a slow swimmer(2:00/100@1.2M distance) I’d love to see a 1:44 pace! I rely on downstream swims or outgoing currents to help my swim times, lol.

Re: Z2 run pace, many athletes I know use the 4:1 run/walk approach to keep HR low when recovering from injury or on easy long runs on Sundays following a hard bike/run session on Saturdays. The beauty of this is that you can run at a comfortable pace without much cardiac drift since the 1min walk brings it right back down. For my last run, my HR averaged in the low 120s, only reaching the 130s two or three times. I was slow as heck, around 11:30-12:00 pace but no matter. The goal was to keep it easy and allow sore muscles to recover. The other approach that is useful is to occasionally do a “minimum form pace” run. In that run, you try to run as SLOW as possible while maintaining perfect run form: proud chest, arm swing at 45 degrees, mid foot strike, etc. you feel a bit silly the first time doing this workout, but it’s not as easy as it sounds.

Heading out for a longish ride today with four other tri friends. Warm weather and a motivated group, so there will be some sweat and heavy breathing. ;)
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    I'm an experienced older runner who has worked with several running coaches over the years. The trouble is that I was injured last year and didn't take enough time to rebuild my run fitness to match my bike and swim fitness for triathlon races.

After several poor run showings and no more races scheduled for this year, I'll go back to basics. I make very solid run progress doing 3-4 runs/week at a Z2 heartrate, while also cycling and swimming. The key for me is NOT to skip regular runs in favor of the other sports. My approach this season was to try to push hard in races, and I just didn't have the run fitness. It didn't work well.

Now I'll do the 2/3 short easy runs and one longer run each week. After I build up base aerobic and muscular fitness over the fall/winter, I'll think about some occasional speed work next spring.

Sounds like you have figured it out- awesome! Will follow your results if you are posting here.

• williamsonmj1
    Options
    Today was full body plus bodybuilding-style assistance for the upper body:
    • Muscular activation and prehab
    • Front squats- 5 sets of 10 (aaaargh)
    • Bench press- 5 sets of 4
    • Chinups- 8 sets of 3-4 reps
    • EZ-bar preacher curls- 5 sets of 10
    • Cable tricep pushdowns- 5 sets of 13-15
    • Wide grip incline DB press- 4 sets of 10
    • Bonus facepulls and chest-supported rows
    • Side planks- 4 holds each side

This was a long workout. Also the first time I have done 5x10 squats of any type for more than 10 years. Still have the weight light to take it easy on my back and to build tolerance for higher volume.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    (snip)
    So yesterday, I started with a beginner's mindset related to running. Did a 45 minute SLOW jog, going 4min on, 1 min off. The purpose was to keep my heart rate at Z2 or below. I'm going to do more frequent runs (3x/week) at a very gentle pace for now while continuing my cycling and open water swimming.(snip)

While granting that I under-do highest intensity work personally, I think the value of long-duration LISS is underappreciated in the popular fitness blogosphere. (Rowers often call it LSD: Long, slow distance.)

It's unglamorous, not exhilarating. But any serious training plan IME includes lots of it (in percent of training time terms). Seems essential for well-rounded CV fitness. ;)
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Rowed twice yesterday (Friday), sort of:

In AM, regular row in 3 seat of the quad, mostly moderate steady state but with some pause drills, most of us trying to get in an enjoyable recreational row, but also invest in bringing along the skills of the novice rower in 2 seat. (It's that time of year! Experienced folks helped us along when we were new, now it's our turn. :) )

PM, I took out a woman in my double who's never been in a rowing shell before. (She's used a Concept 2 RowErg at her Crossfit gym.) We started with a little RowErg review of the stroke cycle (because some Crossfit trainers do better than others at coaching this for on-water compatibility). Then we carried the double down and rowed it. On the water, she rowed for a bit while I stabilized the boat, then I'd row us back on course solo, then she'd row again for a while.

This morning (Saturday), a coached row of around 9.5k, 5' pieces with a paddle in, the piece, then a paddle down and rest in between. Our club launched 2 women's doubles plus a guy (new this season) in a skinny racing single. The collegiate club launched one mixed eight. The collegiate club's coach had them row by 6 and capped their rating (strokes per minute) so they didn't get too far ahead of us :D The single took a bad stroke on the next to last piece and flipped - other than a scratch, he was OK, just wet.

It would've been unseemly of me to comment on it there, but it pleased me that my double (ages 67 and 78, but 20+ years experience each) caught and passed the other double (women 40- and 30-something, half our age but less experienced) on every 5' piece. B)

No electricity at my house since Thursday night (storms), so I'm running on limited sleep (sleep apnea, no CPAP, neighbor's gas generator running below my bedroom) and over-caloric but undernutritious restaurant meals since. They've changed the restore estimate multiple times (longer), now saying 9:30pm tonight.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snip)
    So yesterday, I started with a beginner's mindset related to running. Did a 45 minute SLOW jog, going 4min on, 1 min off. The purpose was to keep my heart rate at Z2 or below. I'm going to do more frequent runs (3x/week) at a very gentle pace for now while continuing my cycling and open water swimming.(snip)

While granting that I under-do highest intensity work personally, I think the value of long-duration LISS is underappreciated in the popular fitness blogosphere. (Rowers often call it LSD: Long, slow distance.)

It's unglamorous, not exhilarating. But any serious training plan IME includes lots of it (in percent of training time terms). Seems essential for well-rounded CV fitness. ;)

Agree. It doesn't get too much play in pop fitness culture. IT IS however, widely employed by endurance athletes as the safest and most reliable way to build great aerobic and muscular endurance over time.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Five of the six triathletes who raced last week turned out this morning for a 56 mile ride I had mapped out. Two of the group have fall 70.3 races on the schedule, so I knew this would be a tempo ride that would test me.

Since I was the route creator , I started off pulling the group at a 19-20mph pace. It wasn't bad for the first twenty miles, but I could feel that our strongest cyclists wanted to go harder. So, when we reached a turn on to a 14 mile "backstretch" I asked a friend to take a turn in front. That started a horse race of sorts. There was a large gap that opened up quickly, and I tried to stay within reach of the two faster riders. I couldn't stay closer than a quarter mile and the two women in the group lagged behind, saying "we don't want to play that game today" (Smart move on their part).

When we pulled into a convenience store at mile 30, our average pace was just under 20 mph. I knew this was way too fast for me to maintain for 56 miles today.

The second half of the ride is almost all open country and it became both hilly and very hot in the bright sun. By the time we hit the last turn, I was out of fluids, having consumed 3.5 bottles in 50 miles. It just wasn't enough. The finishing leg is a long slow uphill until the last mile, which is a 5% grade. I was cooked. Left quad cramped enough that I had to get off the bike twice in the last two miles. I limped into the parking lot, stripped off most of my kit, and put a water soaked towel over my head.

My speed and power numbers fell off a cliff, finishing the 56miles at a 16.0mph pace. Power meter showed a 2200 calorie expenditure at a 156w ave. Despite bonking fairly badly at the end, it was a very good ride with my favorite riding crew. I plan to do it again soon, only slower and better hydrated. :)

Plan to do a short, slow run tomorrow.

• jukk0u
    jukk0u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Dumbell arm curls, incline bench press, and BURPEES (modified with a couple of knee bends after the push-up, because I'm too old to do the jump upon standing.

Burpees aren't in the database, What the heck?!

I usually do some Pilates type moves and stretches right before climbing out of bed.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Rest day yesterday. Did a 45 minute run/walk today. Garmin said this workout was BASE training, so that's right where I should be.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Guess what? Rowed again. Big surprise, eh? ;)

At least my electricity is back on (after 3 flippin' days), and my flat tire is . . . well, still flat and on my car's spare tire holder until Wednesday, but that'll have to do for now).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    Seated Smith OHP <superset> BB Shrugs 3x8
    Cable Pushdown <superset> Preacher Curl 3x8