WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - welcome! Come back often so that we can get to know you.

Plans are in the works for an awesome Monday here. Healthy lunch and snacks brought to work, divine leftover vegetable soup for dinner (I love it even more the second day), finish sewing some school bags to send to underprivileged children, then off to church to meet and study with my sisters there. Oops - I have the lesson for that study - the day may be more awesome if I go and get it ready! Okay, add one more item to my to do list. What are your plans? Have an awesome Monday!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    I posted on Sept 5 that I wanted to get down to 155 lbs by the end of Sept. It looks like I'm going to make it! I am about 155.5 now. I hope you are all doing well with your September goals.

Congratulations! How fantastic to be at your goal.

Cathy - my son suffers from migraines and so far no luck in figuring out what causes them. Keep us posted on what you are trying and I will do the same. We just finished with the neurologist and was told he just hast to learn to live with them.

The other thing about Netflix is that we can introduce our kids to lots of really good old movies that really aren't on TV any more due to being in black and white. We watch Abbott and Costello meets the mummy last weekend when we were all under the weather. lol

We are so broke this week it is scary. I had $50 to buy groceries for the week. So, it is clean out the freezer and cabinets until Friday when I get paid. Jim is going through the final process on getting his % disabled for his back. Hopefully, we will be able to something started soon for social security/disability payments. They are saying maybe by the end of the year.

JAM
  • grabbit97
    Options
    GOod Monday to you... yesterday was SUnday, a quiet day for us. We ran around so much on Saturday it felt good to do nothing. I have been triouble falling asleep, so I phoned the doctor for a prescription to Lunesta... my friends take it, and once you fall asleep, you stay asleep, unlike Ambien, which puts you to sleep, but you wake up 2 hours later... or in my case, it has done nothing for me. Hope I can get a full nights sleep. This started about a week ago when they took me off the pain meds.

I got on scale this morning, I had put 3 lbs back on with all the eating we did at the football game on Saturday (tailgating, then presidents tent, then skybox).. all had food and more food... an eatathon...

I am down one of those pounds, I am sure the rest will come off in the next day or 2.. not worried, got to get past this and go on..

Natalie
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning LL,

i am so frustrated this morning, ...i got on the scale and i had gain one pound....i just cant believe it ....all week long my numbers were green, i workout like a mad woman(burned over 3500 calories i use a HRM) drank water like all the time, eat fruits, veggies watch my sodium, sugars, carbs....and i still gained a pound....sometimes(like NOW) its so frustrating it feels like all the work is for not......

thanks for listening

pam

ps..have a beautiful day all:flowerforyou:
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Cynthia- Welcome I'll find myself once I retire

Amy- Way to go reaching your goal

Jeanne & RJadams- We all have days like that.

Jane- If it is weather related I understand. My knees have been throbbbing.

Cathy- Alittle is better than none.

BirdieM- I use a web site CaloriesperHour.com It has alot.

Jam- Best of luck with SS
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Pam,
    Hang in there. I know that many of us on this board share in your frustration. You have done such a good job overall with your weight loss. I didn't get to the gym for three days with our weekend schedule and I feel like a stuffed balloon. My eating wasn't that bad but when I don't move,it really shows.

Today I am drinking lots of water...I had lots of decaf coffee (which I count as water) over the weekend but I don't think it is the same in my body. Going to the gym as soon as I finish our yoga planning for this week.

Have a good day,
    Sally
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for making me feel so welcomed!
    Michelle asked about my fitness routines- mainly I workout with a trainer 2X weekly and the rest is martial arts- Jeet Kune Do 2X week/ TaeKwon Do 2-3 hours/week- Otherwise I try and walk the dogs once a day. I gained most of the weight I'm trying to get off about 8 years ago. I went thru menopause then quit smoking . I put on 50 pounds. I've lost 20-25 of it 3 years ago but have had tremendous trouble trying to shed these last 25. I could also prob lose another 25 after that but I'll think about taht after I lose this 1st 25!
  • cathys01
    Options
    Happy Monday, Ladies - if there is such a thing!!

We have a nice, cool day here today but they are calling for rain for the rest of the week and weekend :sad:

Amy: Congrats on being so close to your goal, that is amazing:bigsmile:

Cynthia - Welcome :smile:

Jeanne3651 - I hope you make allright with the doctor's appointment :flowerforyou:

Mary - You are so busy that you will soon meet yourself coming :happy:

Natalie/Pam: Don't worry, you will take the gain off again soon. I am starting off again from the beginning but don't worry, it will happen :wink:

Jam - 2 of my 3 sons also suffer with the migraines with 1 of them having far worse symptoms - his symptoms are almost stroke like, he cannot speak or anything when he gets them, he is almost paralyzed. He was told because there is such a family history of migraines that is why he gets them so bad, but fortunately he does not get them very often. Your son should not be told that he needs to live with them, there is medication that you can take daily to make them try to stop from coming, we have just not found the right combination for me (even after all these years) but your son, should ask them to try something and if this doctor does not, he should try another doctor. The best medicine for preventing migraines, I have been told is Topamax and that is what I take every day. I am on a large dose but you start out small. I think I have maybe been on Topamax for too long that is the problem, my body has gotten used to it, I have been on it since about 2003.

Anyway, Ladies. Hope you are having a good day.

Talk to you later.

Love, Cathy xx
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great welcome, ladies. I have a hard time remembering names and normally have a pad and pencil when I read posts, but not this time.

I have a friend with severe headaches that is getting experimental treatment right now, as in shots to the head. I think it is a similar thing used in botox. She has to cycle in and out of it, but it has been a great relief for her during the time she can get the shots. Otherwise she has constant migraines. Keep looking until you find the best treatment for you.

As for literally working your booty off and not getting the satisfaction at the scale, remember we are not linear machines. It can take a while of fat to release, or water to release, or whatever it is. It's best to look at your weight trend over a much longer period than a week. Monthly averages help me. You'll need to remind me of this at a later date as well, lol.

As stated in my first post, I am a full time student. But it's graduate school so I'm not always at class. I do have class Mon - Wed from 4:00 - 6:45, and then one class online. I'm pretty busy reading for those classes, plus having to read tons of research on various education factors. I'm also relearning to play guitar, used to love it when I was a teen and it kind of slipped away from me. Plus it will keep my hands busy and make it more difficult to eat in the evenings, lol.

Oh, a yoga studio that I really liked just had a Groupon, 15 sessions for $46. I'll be using that at the beginning of the new year and can't wait. I know I'll be too buys to commit to it until then, but sure am looking forward to getting into yoga again.
  • Pam3
    Options
    had a great workout 80min binking(27miles) and 50min weight session....honestly i could have done more cardio(frustrated)...but after my workouts i am much more calm and reading all the posts really helped too...the big picture is what i need to continue to keep in mind...

@sallycc and @cathys01 thank you for your encouraging words..

@jam...good luck with your husbands disbility

@natalie...this is a new week...we can do this

@technoswami ...welcome ...sounds like you are very busy....you're right about the keeping the big picture in mind, thank you

have a great evening all:flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good Evening!
    just a quick post.Went to the dr the back injury is worse then he thought originally.the knee is the arthritis and weather changes.
    Dr is awaiting for the approval of an MRI for a definite diagnosis.based on my pain level and inability to sit and bend,he`s thinking a small fracture of the tailbone and possibly disk damage.I`m on stronger pain medicine and told to rest and let the body heal.I was thinking if I push myself,it would heal faster,found out I`m doing more damage.
    So I`ll post when I can as it hurts to sit even with pillows.
    On a good note,i`m finally under 200 lbs again.The dr did increase my calories and said for now,my body needs the extra protein etc to heal.So The wt loss is on hold.
    thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.I`ll pop in when I can.
    HUGS jane
  • Pam3
    Options
    Good Evening!
    just a quick post.Went to the dr the back injury is worse then he thought originally.the knee is the arthritis and weather changes.
    Dr is awaiting for the approval of an MRI for a definite diagnosis.based on my pain level and inability to sit and bend,he`s thinking a small fracture of the tailbone and possibly disk damage.I`m on stronger pain medicine and told to rest and let the body heal.I was thinking if I push myself,it would heal faster,found out I`m doing more damage.
    So I`ll post when I can as it hurts to sit even with pillows.
    On a good note,i`m finally under 200 lbs again.The dr did increase my calories and said for now,my body needs the extra protein etc to heal.So The wt loss is on hold.
    thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.I`ll pop in when I can.
    HUGS jane

jane so sorry to hear about your back and knees,...i have suffer from both and now also the hip......rest is the best for you now....take care and good luck:flowerforyou:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did 45 min of training games on the Wii and then 15 min of balancing games. I get bored so fast! Tomorrow (Mon) I'll do an hour of the extreme pump.

Gonna go make dinner for most of the week so all I have to do is heat it up.

Pam - It never ends, no matter how old the kids are, I'm up until they get home. Hey, I was in my 50's, living in my third house, had three children, and STILL whenever I went to visit my father I was told "now call when you get home". One time I didn't call the minute I got home because our cat was hit by a car and killed, my father was upset that I didn't call! It never ends!

Cathy - I hope you get some answers about your migraines. Altho I've never had a migraine, from the people I know who have had them they are bad. ((((hugs))))

jane - hope you feel better fast. Back pain is no joke.

Cynthis - Welcome! There's always room more and more and more

Amy - Yeeaaa for you! <doing a happy dance>

jeannie - I had to laugh when you said that you didn't know red could be so bright. I hate to see that, but really, sometimes it's a help (as long as there aren't three digits). How did you like "the help". I've heard so much about it, I'd really like to go see it but I know that Vince feels it's more of a "chickflick" and won't go. I have a "going to the movies" pocketbook. Honestly, it's a mini-suitcase but it looks like a pocketbook. I take snacks with me into the movies. Yes, you're not supposed to. But I still do, and when the lights go down, no one knows the difference.

Off to take the extreme pump class and then senior practice bowl for 2 hours (it's free!). I can usually get in 3 games during the practice. They like 4 people on the lanes. Well, when you're getting it for free, you can't complain too much. It is nicer to be able to have two lanes just to yourself, but I can also understand their point. Tomorrow (Tues) I'll do a downloadable spin workout then there's a board meeting of the Newcomers. Vince has to go for his MRI so I'll take his report with me. We usually pay mahjongg on Tuesdays but now we need to have someone who lives in the community there to use the clubhouse so I don't know if we will.

Pam - every morning I take the body test on the Wii. From yesterday to today, it says I gained 1 lb. I was within calories, you know that I exercise. A lot of it has to do with daily fluctuations, when did you last go to the bathroom, those sorts of things. Honestly, I really don't pay that much attention to the number that the Wii gives me every day, I go more by what the number is in my weekly weigh-in. From last week to this I didn't gain, and I didn't lose. But at least I didn't gain, so that's a positive. Since you're working out so much, maybe you need to either cut back on the duration of your exercise or up your calories?

Minerva - big congrats on quitting smoking. That's an awesome feat.

jane - feel better fast. Keep us updated

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    I’ve been gone for the weekend to a women’s spiritual retreat in a beautiful wooded setting by a lake. I didn’t log food or exercise on MFP and I cheated by having my hubby log in for me on the day I couldn’t get to the computer so I wouldn’t lose my log in streak.

I used one of the techniques from “The Thin Commandments” to govern my eating. It’s called “boxing in and boxing out”. I “boxed out” all the foods I would not eat at all
    white bread, deli meats and cheese, potatoes, candy, sugary foods. I “boxed in” a few foods that I would eat only over the weekend but not eat them at home----cashews, peanuts, whole wheat toast and peanut butter, extra fruit, raisins, lasagna.

There was plenty of time for exercise. I got up at 5:00 and walked for an hour before everybody else got up and then walked the trails with small groups when there was free time. On Friday my pedometer recorded 18,000 steps, Saturday 38,000 steps and Sunday 21,000 steps.

This morning my weight was up about four pounds which I think is mostly water retention and lots of heavy food. Today I am back on my regular healthy eating plan and the dogs were delighted to have me take them for our usual long walk this morning.

I bought a fairy tale pumpkin yesterday. They are also called Cinderella pumpkins because they look like the one that turned into a coach in the story. I will use it for decoration on my front porch for awhile, they bake it, and freeze the cooked pumpkin to eat as a vegetable during the winter.

today was cold and damp enough that hubby built a fire in the wood stove. this is the first time we've used the stove in our new hoeus. It warmed the whole house :bigsmile:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Hello, All!

I am in Jackson Hole with my girlfriends and am having a great time...very sleepy but wanted to check in quickly. did pretty well yesterday avoiding the temptations sitting around, but not so very well tonight...too many snacky things! At least we walked over an hour this morning along the Snake River, I passed on some cake at my friends house, didn't have a margarita at happy hour, but I did have some malted milk balls while we were playing bridge tonight! Don't know why...I don't even really like them!?:grumble: Tomorrow is a new day, right?

Barbie: Your retreat sounds lovely...I like the box in and boxed out idea of foods. I should have boxed out the milk balls!

Welcome to our new members...I look forward to getting to know you. this is such a great place for support!

Sorry not to touch base more...I am so tired. :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: Good night, dear ladies. Hope everyone has a good rest of the week, Kackie
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends! I am headed into a crazy busy day. School all day, run the clock at the varsity volleyball triangular, then head to a friend's home to plan a program for the campfire at a women's retreat that I am headed to on the 7th. After I get home, I still need to finish sewing 3 more school bags for kits for Church World Service. Supper will be catch as catch can, and I will try not to let it be hot dogs or nachos at the game. I brought some grapes and pretzels to try to avoid that temptation. I'd better jump into the action ~ see you all tomorrow!
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Morning all, about to start my day once I finish this post. Got on the scale for week 1 of MFP and am down 4.5 lbs, nice :happy:

@Jane, sorry about the back injury, it sounds so painful. Yay for being under 200 but listen to the doc.

@Barbie, <snort> at having your husband log in. You had a good excuse and I hope the retreat was restful for you. The walks sound lovely.

@Kackie, Jackson Hole has one of my favorite brew pubs, Snake River. I love that area.

@Mary, sounds like you have a plan for tonight!!

Today is about catchup on reading and writing response papers. At least I don't have class today. It's interesting how they mingle technology with the regular classroom. My stats class has a quiz today so we get to take it online at home. It is open book/open note. But most importantly I don't have to drive to campus, yay!!.

Okay, headed out to the elliptical. Today is 50 minute with 40 sec intervals every 10 minutes, starting at 5 min in.

Cynthia
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Wish I had time to read like I use to. But, I just love this post. I will read more someday.

I wish all a happy day. Sometimes it's hard to be happy and sometimes it is so easy. I am trying so hard to keep my chin up and not get so depressed. I can't believe how my life has change. I was such and up person, never felt like this. It is sometimes a struggle to get through the day, but, I am doing it.

Went to the gym today and I had all I could do to not cry. AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!!!!

My husband was with me and I should be happy more, but I'm not. I'm losing weight again and that keeps me going. this posting keeps me honest and it is good therapy for me just to let it out.

I have no job, no pay, cause I left my job to care for my parents, It's been two years now. Mom is gone, Bosco is gone and my Dad needs constant checkups daily. Thank God I have a very supportive husband. Love him dearly.

I am going to a Career Center in the afternoons to learn some computer skills. Keeps me busy.

Sorry for the rant.

Kathy (plantlady)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Tues.To you all.
    Doing what the dr says.Not crazy about the pain medicine,helps with the pain some,but don`t like how it makes me feel.
    But I think that`s the idea.Make me slow down and rest.Started my 1st day of increasing my calories to more protein and fiber.It was hard to add calories instead of decreasing them.
    Hope you all have a good day.And for those who are struggling with health issues or financial or whatever,you`re in my thoughts and prayers.
    Take care
    HUGS
    jane
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Phew, sometimes it's hard to keep up with an 80 year old! We've been celebrating my dad's big birthday this weekend and have finally said goodbye to the last of the forty-odd family who came down for the party. Was lovely seeing them and lovely seeing them go!

It was great fun though but I will be glad to go to work in the gallery tomorrow .... for a rest!

I got so many compliments about my weight loss - always a boost, although my favourite auntie begged me not to lose any more. I am trying to maintain these days, but struggle sometimes to stop my weight from dropping. I don't change my ticker straight away now.

I hope everyone is doing well. My love to you all, and hi to our new ladies.

Amanda x