What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Strength session with trainer this am. Total body work.
    This afternoon a friend and I rode a 35 mile route, though I didn’t finish it. Broke a front spoke at mile 31 so he finished then returned to pick me up. It was a nice aerobic paced ride til the breakdown, 16mph average
  • kqqpb8kq2q
    kqqpb8kq2q Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am in north Florida, so my workout today was putting plywood on my windows and cleaning up the yard so that old kids bicycle does come crashing though someone’s window.

70 minutes

782 calories (per Apple Watch)
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Managed to get into the gym today. A bit late because of work so I shortened it slightly. Today was full body plus lower body assistance. But cut the assistance a little.
    • Front squat- 5 sets of 5
    • Bench press- 5 sets of 5
    • Dumbbell row- 5 sets of 8
    • Hamstring curls- 3 sets of 8
    • Leg extensions- 3 sets of 10
    • Ghetto Glute Ham Raises- 3 sets of 4

Heaviest squats I have done since my back injury, but still light. Back was fine, although it didn't like the machine stuff at the end. Never really used machines for the legs much- so getting used to it. Overall it was a decent session.

I managed to get in a swim the day before yesterday as well- about 20 minutes. Tomorrow I will either swim again or do a treadmill walk.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Catching up here. I do a regular short early morning elliptical. Extra elliptical work on Saturday but nothing else. A short bike ride on Sunday. 25 minute run outside, late in the evening on Monday. Today I rode the bike to the pool and back, swimming 1600m. Mostly front crawl but included 100 IM, 100 flutter kick w/board, and 100 fr w/ pull bouy, as well as some awkward technique drill lengths. Then this evening, another 25 minute run outside just after sundown as the air started to cool.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Seated Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 4x10
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    Felt absolutely terrible for the last 24 hours, but somehow roused myself to the gym. Full Body + core today:
    • 3 sets of 5 conventional deadlifts
    • 5 sets of 5 barbell overhead press
    • 5 sets of 5 super-strict chinups (chest to bar, slow eccentric down to full stretch)
    • 4 sets of 8 snatch grip shrugs (because why not)
    • 3 sets of 8 chest-supported rows
    • 3 sets of 12 cable crunches
    • 3 sets of 5 hanging leg raises
    • Bonus Sumo deadlifts for fun

I completely messed up OHP today- I was meant to do week 2 of month 1 of 5/3/1 but I had a mental issue, and, well, never mind. Overall the session was easy and light, which is kind of the intention of today especially as my back is still a little iffy. But it went well. Did some Sumo deadlifts for fun at the end and they went up shockingly easily. Probably do a few every week from now on, see if I can pull some significant (for me weight) in the future- I guess I am built for them.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Quick leg workout for me. 2 warmup sets on squats and then:

1x failure leg extensions then took the 3 steps to my squat rack and then:
    1x failure (well, almost, no way I was getting another) backsquat and then immediately:
    1x failure body weight squats

Then I tried not to puke for 30 mins.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Dang, more rowing: Around 7k for the first real row in a single** this season (rec single, not racing single; easy to moderate steady state).

** I took out a rec single that was badly set up for me (tall person had just docked it) for about 3' to demo river turns for a newbie during the learn to row class. River turn = back with one oar while rowing with the other so the shell spins on its center. Other than that, I've been rowing quads (4 scullers) and doubles (2 scullers).
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Daily early morning elliptical, still. Only 15 minutes or so while the coffee is brewing. I figure it replaces the exercise of walking a dog, without the clean up. :smiley: I tried the 4 minute run to 1 minute walk for 40 minutes on Wednesday. The heart rate recording traced a nice saw tooth pattern but stil trended up almost as high as straight running. Tried just walking outside at a brisk pace for half an hour yesterday. I was up too early this morning so, instead of tossing around trying to get another couple hours, I was at the pool to swim when the doors opened. My apple watch daily movement ring was almost closed by 7am. Maybe something else later? Lots of day left!
  • williamsonmj1
    Options
    Got to the gym for some cardio. Incline treadmill walk for around 42-43 minutes, bike for 10 minutes. Fine.
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Rowed bow of the double again with one of the guys in stroke, mostly moderate steady state with some technical work. (Who am I kidding? It's always pretty much non-stop technical work on something, because rowing in shells is like that. :D .)

It was more like 8k this time rather than the usual 7k, because we did a double loop upstream rather than a full boathouse-upstream bridge-downstream bridge-boathouse loop. (The water ski team was practicing and we can usually agree to split the river, with us upstream, them downstream where their buoy course is.)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    Did an hour on Thursday of elliptical hills before my first graveyard shift, and this morning did another hour of elliptical hills after my second (and final) graveyard shift. Kept the intensity moderate: RPE 6 on the first, RPE 7 today. According to the machine, I burned almost as many calories today doing unchanging moderate hills as I used to do with hills which varied from low- to high-intensity and back, with time spent as high as RPE 9. So easier workout...far easier breathing...just as many calories burned... yep, this will be my new standard for the time being, until I grow bored with it, lol.

Little tidbit, I login to the elliptical to track my workouts, and it told me I just passed 500 miles worth of elliptical workout since I started tracking at the start of the year. Go figure.
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Back from my week off, I have spent far too much time travelling in my car the last week and my back is paying the price unfortunately!

Today I did a 3 hour yin yoga workshop, turned out to be a really nice way to ease myself back in after a week off. Some intense hip and back stretches which were very much needed.

Probably not many calories burned but I don't worry too much about that with yoga.
  • williamsonmj1
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Full body plus gettin' mah pump on:
    • Warmup
    • Front squats- 5 sets of 3
    • Bench press- 4 sets of 10, 1 set of 8
    • Chinups- 6 sets of 5
    • EZ-bar preacher curls- 5 sets of 11
    • Cable tricep pushdowns- 5 sets of 11
    • Incline DB bench press- 2 sets of 10, set of 8, set of 6
    • Side planks- 15 seconds each side, 3 sets

Pretty good session. Top set of front squats was about my bodyweight, which is a nice benchmark coming off a loooong break and nursing a back injury. Everything else was good although I fried my chest and arms doing bench and that affected some of the other stuff.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Did an hour on Thursday of elliptical hills before my first graveyard shift, and this morning did another hour of elliptical hills after my second (and final) graveyard shift. Kept the intensity moderate: RPE 6 on the first, RPE 7 today. According to the machine, I burned almost as many calories today doing unchanging moderate hills as I used to do with hills which varied from low- to high-intensity and back, with time spent as high as RPE 9. So easier workout...far easier breathing...just as many calories burned... yep, this will be my new standard for the time being, until I grow bored with it, lol.

Little tidbit, I login to the elliptical to track my workouts, and it told me I just passed 500 miles worth of elliptical workout since I started tracking at the start of the year. Go figure.

That is the insight way too few people have (IMO): Similar calories, lower fatigue penalty, less impact on total-workout-schedule recovery.

The fitness impact question is more nuanced, but the fitness usefulness of L/MISS or moderate intervals is non-null.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Yet another row, another double loop upstream (just under 8k) because the water ski team was in the downstream buoy course again. Me in bow of my Pocock double, my 30-something y/o former Big 10 champion rower buddy in stroke. I s*cked, don't want to talk about it. 😆🤣
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Just horse riding and a small walk today. Focused on positioning and posture more than speed today so not much of a workout except stretching out my hips!

Back in the gym tomorrow for the first time in a week and a half, looking forward to it but have also switched up my routine with some new exercises and also increasing weights on others so gonna be a tough one!