What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    I took the whitewater kayak out and paddled about ten miles on a somewhat local river. Mostly class 2 with a class 3 thrown in for good measure. The water was at a juicy level. Quite fun. I think I only got in my whitewater kayak one day last year. I still remember how to do it, and I really love that boat. I should get it out more. It's like dancing with the river.

This trip was to get a friend out who I've been trying to get out for a long time. I loaned her a boat because the one she had was way too big. She liked it and found one for sale cheap. We were going to get out a couple weeks ago, but then I got a job and had to focus on getting ready for my first trip. We rescheduled for today. We finally had a plan! But then there was a family medical emergency. ANOTHER family medical emergency. She's been going through a lot. Her father in law went into the ER. So she was thinking she might not paddle because her head wasn't in it. She still wanted to make us breakfast. But instead the other guy who had decided just yesterday to join us brought a tandem whitewater canoe, so they paddled that. He's a great teacher; they did great. One other person joined us in a creekboat. I work with the person I was trying to get out, but so far just as a volunteer. That said, we both work part time as outdoor instructors for the same city. The other guy in the canoe is also an instructor there. Kind of fun to get out and play with your co-workers.

I got home, unloaded boats and gear, put things out to dry. Cleaned some stuff. Loaded up dive gear for tomorrow. Got a shower and shave. Leftover carrot cashew ginger soup is reheating on the stove for supper. Tomorrow the aquarium. Tuesday back down for a work training. Then I get a few days off before I go work doing a kayak class Saturday and Sunday. This retired person seems to be working more than expected..... I even talked to my friend about taking on some other work for their organization because she just has too much on her plate, and more just got dumped on it. Way bummer.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,276 Member
    Options
    Upper Body

Bench Press 10x3x68% 1RM
    Cable Row 4x10
    Machine Decline Press 3x10
    Machine High Row 4x10
    Seated Arnold Press 3x10
    DB Curl 3x10 (Twist Curl, Hammer Curl, Concentration Curl) <<superset>> DB Lying Skullcrusher 3x10
    Cable Woodchoppers (Low, Mid, High) 3x10
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    A couple dives in the aquarium. One was more energetic than the other. I forgot how much people enjoy watching us work, waving to us (and getting waved back to) and taking our pictures, especially with us behind their kids. They seem to enjoy watching us as much as they enjoy watching the sharks.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Leg Day

Squats 5x10
    Leg Press 4x10 <<superset>> LP Calf Press 4x15

Only time for an abbreviated workout today, had to get home and get the lasagna cooking as it takes a while.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Question for more experienced gym goers: I've been consistently going to the gym, using the weight machines. I've been doing 3x10 for sets/reps. Would 4x10 be better? I push the weight upward anytime I feel like it's getting easier.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Question for more experienced gym goers: I've been consistently going to the gym, using the weight machines. I've been doing 3x10 for sets/reps. Would 4x10 be better? I push the weight upward anytime I feel like it's getting easier.

I'm not THAT experienced. In fact, I rely on great people here to help me out. So take what I write with a grain of salt.

I would start by moving up to 12 reps per set. When that gets "too easy," add a little weight. Try to get eight to 12 reps. If you don't have good form on those those last reps, drop the weight back. Focus on having good form.

Also keep in mind what your GOALS are. Doing heavier weight for fewer reps is a different tool than lower weight and more reps.

I would increase reps and/or weight. I would not add more sets.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I'm not THAT experienced. In fact, I rely on great people here to help me out. So take what I write with a grain of salt.

I would start by moving up to 12 reps per set. When that gets "too easy," add a little weight. Try to get eight to 12 reps. If you don't have good form on those those last reps, drop the weight back. Focus on having good form.

Also keep in mind what your GOALS are. Doing heavier weight for fewer reps is a different tool than lower weight and more reps.

I would increase reps and/or weight. I would not add more sets.

I'll bet one or more of the knowledgeable lifter folks on the thread (like @nossmf, as maybe the most regular here, among others) will comment eventually. I'm not that experienced either, don't even lift much anymore TBH.

I also tend to use a narrow rep range (usually 10-14 in my case) times 3 sets, adding weight when set 3 gets a bit too manageable.

FWIW there is one case where I do add sets: When I'm nursing some imbalance, injury, or similar risk, but feel like it's safe to add sets (or occasionally reps per set) but risky for some reason to add weight.
  • nossmf
    Options

A lot will depend on your goals. If you are working to bulk up with more muscle, or preparing for a competition of some sort (bodybuilding, sports, etc) then adding a fourth set has its place. If you are mostly just looking for improved overall fitness, maybe a little stronger to make the rest of your life a little easier, then 3 sets can be enough.

As mentioned by @mtaratoot one method of increasing intensity is increasing reps per set, though that has its limits as well, or else the world's professional lifters would be doing hundreds of reps per set. (I once did 100 reps in a single set of squats as a personal challenge, but do NOT recommend that to anybody else, least of all me!)

I put together this list of ideas for how to increase intensity, which might mean more reps, or more weight, or more sets, or more workouts per week, or a whole bunch more. Give it a perusal, see if anything stands up in your eyes as worth trying, give it a shot for a couple weeks. If it feels good, keep it; if not, there are plenty of other options to try. Just limit yourself to trying one new thing at a time, in part to avoid getting overwhelmed (and potentially injured), in part so you know if you like the addition or not...if you try three new things and aren't happy, do you dislike all three, or only one?

If you have any questions on how to implement any of these ideas, please ask away, either here, in the other thread, or in PM if you feel self conscious.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I did a short body weight total body strength training workout found on Fitnessblender. It was my first strength training workout in a while, I'm trying to get back into it.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Just limit yourself to trying one new thing at a time, in part to avoid getting overwhelmed (and potentially injured), in part so you know if you like the addition or not...if you try three new things and aren't happy, do you dislike all three, or only one?

So much support this!!!

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 896 Member
    Options

If your trying to build muscle, then it all depends on your weekly volume for the specific muscle group and how many total sets you are performing currently
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I did another fitnessblender 30 minute workout, my abs are already sore but in a good way! Planning on a 2 mile walk after dinner as well.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    This was yesterday but I thought y’all would appreciate it.

Long long day at husband's medical appointments at VA. Freaking exhausted when I got home.
    Set the meds out for the morning. Then forced myself to get on the NuStep.

I chose to set it at the lowest setting, and wanted to just do my bare minimum of 2.5 miles. (VA wasn’t much walking, but it was a lot of wrangling husband and dealing with medical details)

I put my podcast on (Some More News) and just kind of zombied through the motions with my eyes closed.

Every once in a while I would peek at the miles. 2.03

Peek again in a few minutes. 2.03

Keep peddling. Half asleep.

Peddling..
    Peek again. Podcast has been going for a while...

I finally noticed the mileage wasn't budging.
    I had set it to pause when I stopped to use the bathroom and brush my teeth.

I forgot to unpause it.
    I hit the "resume" button and praise the lord and pass the biscuits.... The NuStep kept counting in the background.
    Folks. I did 4 miles.
    Half asleep, on the easiest setting.

Yes. It took 72 minutes to sleepwalk 4 “miles” because easiest setting.
    Points to NuStep for making the safest exercise machine in existence.
    ryiid0wbwg16.jpeg

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

A lot will depend on your goals. If you are working to bulk up with more muscle, or preparing for a competition of some sort (bodybuilding, sports, etc) then adding a fourth set has its place. If you are mostly just looking for improved overall fitness, maybe a little stronger to make the rest of your life a little easier, then 3 sets can be enough.

As mentioned by @mtaratoot one method of increasing intensity is increasing reps per set, though that has its limits as well, or else the world's professional lifters would be doing hundreds of reps per set. (I once did 100 reps in a single set of squats as a personal challenge, but do NOT recommend that to anybody else, least of all me!)

I put together this list of ideas for how to increase intensity, which might mean more reps, or more weight, or more sets, or more workouts per week, or a whole bunch more. Give it a perusal, see if anything stands up in your eyes as worth trying, give it a shot for a couple weeks. If it feels good, keep it; if not, there are plenty of other options to try. Just limit yourself to trying one new thing at a time, in part to avoid getting overwhelmed (and potentially injured), in part so you know if you like the addition or not...if you try three new things and aren't happy, do you dislike all three, or only one?

If you have any questions on how to implement any of these ideas, please ask away, either here, in the other thread, or in PM if you feel self conscious.

I am almost 6 months out form a vertical sleeve gastrectomy, so weight loss surgery. I am down almost 130lbs.

My goals are foremost to maintain muscle mass as I continue to lose, and increase strength (which I definitely feel as if I am doing). I am not so much interested in bodybuilding as I understand it.

So what I am hearing is, I don't need to add a 4th set, so long as I continue to increase weight within the set range I am using, as I am able.

• DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Two 10 min. walks today; about to go for a third one, so a light day.
    But yesterday I hit the gym and did 15 min. on the bike, then 20 min. various freeweights and abs, then the requisite stretching. Sometimes I think my left leg muscles are getting worse instead of better. Probably time for another PT visit.

If you are a regular on this thread and we're not already MFP friends, feel free to send a request. Thanks!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,382 Member
    Options
    Two 10 min. walks today; about to go for a third one, so a light day.
    But yesterday I hit the gym and did 15 min. on the bike, then 20 min. various freeweights and abs, then the requisite stretching. Sometimes I think my left leg muscles are getting worse instead of better. Probably time for another PT visit.

If you are a regular on this thread and we're not already MFP friends, feel free to send a request. Thanks!

@discustank5, I'm a crapitudinous MFP friend, more of a forum gal TBH. I accept FRs, but never send them, because I know that about myself. But I'm following your progress here, and cheering for you. You are doing SO WELL: Great progress!
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    [quote="

[/quote]

@discustank5, I'm a crapitudinous MFP friend, more of a forum gal TBH. I accept FRs, but never send them, because I know that about myself. But I'm following your progress here, and cheering for you. You are doing SO WELL: Great progress! [/quote]

Aww, thanks Ann.
    It's a funny thing: I've got maybe a dozen "friends" on MFP but none of them comment on my daily workout #s / calorie counts that the site reports on the home page. I thought, "I should get more people to comment," but then I saw some guy saying the same thing on a different thread. Did I friend him? No, I did not. Too intimidating. So there's that.

Forum friends count, too. :)
  • nossmf
    Options
    So what I am hearing is, I don't need to add a 4th set, so long as I continue to increase weight within the set range I am using, as I am able.

Precisely. Or if you cannot increase weight, try slowing the reps down, taking 2 seconds to move the weight, then three, and so on. By the time you can do a full 5-count, I can practically guarantee you can increase the weight.
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the thread, @drv123!

Question about the workouts you posted. In both situations you performed the large multi-joint compound exercise (squat, bench press) AFTER the single-joint isolation exercises. Conventional wisdom is to perform the heaviest, most technically-demanding exercises early, while your muscles are still fresh, unless you have a specific reason to change the order. Just wondering what your goal is, why you chose to do them in this order.

Thanks! I did them in that order because I have no idea what I'm doing!

So far I've liked doing the compound exercises at the end as a way to wrap things up and burn off any energy I have left. On the days I've done it the correct way I can definitely lift/push more weight on the compound movements because I'm still fresh though.

I've decided my goals are making my day to day life easier, like I can get up off the floor, lift myself up, etc. So I may switch it up.

On another note - ran my first official 5k race last weekend. It was great, I finished about middle of the pack and it was a fun hilly course right around dusk so we were all given headlamps to light the way. Didn't set a PB but had a great time.