What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've gotten serious about the gym this week, going nearly every day if not for very long.
    Today's workout, besides walking my dog: 12 min. elliptical trainer, then 12x2 skull crushers with a 15 lb weight, 12x2 reverse crunches (feet and hips off the floor), 15x2 squats with 10 lb dumbbells. Then 15 min stretching (PT's orders). I find stretching to be sooo boring but if I want to run again, I'll need to commit to two sets / day. Sigh.
  • DiscusTank5
    edited April 12
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Given the choice, I always work out first thing after waking up in the morning, no breakfast, just a caffeine pill, an Emergen-C/creatine drink, and go.

That used to be my preference too--well, not the creatine :). I like running on "E".
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    While we're on the topic of gyms: I (48F) get self-conscious working out with the light range of dumbbells while all the guys (and a couple girls) do the heavy stuff. If they had a closet where I could do my exercises, I would use it. I go to my university's gym (free!), so of course it's full of college students. But to me the most inspiring people there are the 70 and up crowd. If I'm lucky, I'll be one of them some day.
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    While we're on the topic of gyms: I (48F) get self-conscious working out with the light range of dumbbells while all the guys (and a couple girls) do the heavy stuff. If they had a closet where I could do my exercises, I would use it. I go to my university's gym (free!), so of course it's full of college students. But to me the most inspiring people there are the 70 and up crowd. If I'm lucky, I'll be one of them some day.

You shouldn't feel self conscious, we are all there for self improvement. Most of us are pretty nice and will help you out and talk gym hours endlessly.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Leo_King84 wrote: »

You shouldn't feel self conscious, we are all there for self improvement. Most of us are pretty nice and will help you out and talk gym hours endlessly.

Thanks @Leo_King_84! My gym is pretty friendly. I've noticed there's an old guy who chats up the college boys about their lives, career choices, etc. He's unofficially mentoring them between sets, and it's sweet of him. Also, his wife died and he's kinda lonely.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    It's been an interesting weekend. I crunched my car (and someone else's) late afternoon Friday, which left me discombobulated.

I did do a 60+3' stationary bike ride later in the evening, thinking it would help burn off some of the fight or flight hormones, which did help, but I still got literally zero minutes of sleep because my mind kept whirling about car issues. (I'd called in a claim, but can't follow up with the adjuster or find a body shop until business hours Monday).

Saturday morning, my rowing club did an event at the Y where we gave rowing machine mini-lessons as part of an exercise sampler event they were having. I machine rowed intermittently during that, but didn't keep track of any stats. That afternoon, the university women's rowing team had an open house at their new training facility near the river, which was no exercise at all for me, but I guess exercise adjacent? So fun to see all their new space and equipment. They have many Concept 2 RowErgs, some BikeErgs and SkiErgs, plus some new RP3 dynamic rowers . . . and of course boats, but I didn't do that part of the tour, having been in the boathouse many times previously. They're fundraising to build new rowing tanks on the lower level. They do also lift (lots, and heavy), but do that in a training room on campus still.

Rest day today, though finishing my taxes wasn't particularly restful. I think my heart rate went up when I started having network issues at e-file time. :D
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's been an interesting weekend. I crunched my car (and someone else's) late afternoon Friday, which left me discombobulated.
    Rest day today, though finishing my taxes wasn't particularly restful. I think my heart rate went up when I started having network issues at e-file time. :D

A car wreck then taxes in one weekend?!? Oh Anne, I'm sorry. Take care of yourself.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    I walked my dog, then took a bike ride down to my local coffee shop, read for an hour plus, saw an old friend unexpectedly and got caught up on their life, then biked back home. Probably 25 min. of biking total. This is exciting because it would have been such a typical day for me BEFORE my colon cancer diagnosis and surgery.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    My rowing club did another volunteer day at the community garden, which serves a local food pantry among other good causes. Today's "workout" was around 2.5 hours of steadily scuffle-hoeing weeds, digging clumps of grass (which doesn't scuffle-hoe well), putting the weeds in buckets and dumping them in big containers a ways away, plus some raking and related stuff. It'll do. :)

We had a lovely day for it, sunny and 60s F (around 17-18 C)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,036 Member
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x3, 3, 3, 8, 15
    Cable Row 5x5, 5, 5, 6, 10
    Machine Decline Press 5x6, 7, 8, 9, 10
    Machine High Row 5x6, 7, 8, 9, 10
    Seated BB OHP 4x10, 8, 5, 15

Got sick mid-bench of heavy triples, backed the weight off and repped out. Need to rethink before next week.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 5x5 <superset> Leg Press Calf Extend 5x15
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Late afternoon med appointment that started late, but I didn't want to waste the remains of a beautiful day (mostly sunny, high 60s F, around 20 C). Therefore, slightly shorter bike ride out on the paved trails, easy pace (except the hills ;):D ): 15.5 miles, 10mph average moving speed, about half Z2, a little Z3, quite a bit of Z1.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I spent the weekend learning caving techniques, such as how to bolt rock; how to move big rocks out of the way (violence is the answer); and how to survey. There was rescue training on the Sunday, but Joe and I got bored so did a quick trip to Slaughter Stream. It's an interesting cave; it's not got not many formations but its's Dolomite limestone. So it had loads of fossils.

Monday was climbing; I was quite good. I got a load of v3s and a v4. (This gym is relatively sandbagged to other London gyms at the moment.) It was a training session so we concentrated on volume; I did loads of routes in the 2 hours.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    30 min. bike ride in 3 stages: home to coffee shop; coffee shop to work; work to back home.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Yesterday and today both, 60'+3' stationary bike. Yesterday, big storm here, high winds, golf ball sized hail in some spots locally (not where I was), tornado warnings. Today, too busy during most of the day to bike outdoors (they decided to total my car, so I was running around dealing with that), then rain later in the day.

Yesterday, I just got on and biked without much energy or attention to heart rate. Ended up with 87W average, average HR 122, 27% Z3, 70% Z2.

Today, an hour sounded long (it'd been a challenging day), so I thought I'd keep it easier pace and keep HR down (but it wanted to rise, not surprising). Ended up with 80W average, average HR 121, 2% Z3, 95% Z2.

Bodies are weird.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Full Body

Squat 5x10
    Bench 10x3 @ 62% 1RM
    BB Row 4x10
    Seated BB OHP 3x10
    BB Curl 3x10
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    2 (20) min peloton cycling classes + 5 min cool down ride this morning + 45 min hot yoga class over lunch.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Currently my only regular physical activity (apart from walking/hiking) is rowing.

I row 10k meters/day, 5 days/wk on my Concept 2 rower in two 5k meter sets which each take about 35 mins and burns about 250 cals.

So, I burn about 500 cals/day, 5 days/wk or a total of 2500 cals/wk, doing this, which I've now been doing regularly for the past 5 years.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,217 Member
    Options
    Paddling.

About 19 miles.

Only saw 15 Bald Eagles because the trees are leafed out now and only saw those flying or in snags. Gorgeous day.
  • dexy1403
    dexy1403 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today I did YT's Tiff x Dan's Shred III Day 28 (30 Min. Build Back & Biceps @ Home + Abs - Dumbbell workout); Cathe Friedrich STS 2.0 (Mish Mosh #1 BP Back & BP Biceps); 1.24 Mile Walk; 10 min. stretch.
    Awesome workout!