60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The scale drives me crazy. If I have it out I get on it constantly. I had to put it out of my bathroom and I am now trying to weigh myself weekly. I totally agree that I know immediately if I gained because I don’t feel comfortable in my clothes. Good luck to you!!!
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    Agree with Trekkie. I have a love/hate relationship with the scale. I weigh weekly, if that, and let my clothes tell me about my weight. But that’s me. You have to find what works for you! Plenty of advice and support here. You Got This!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    @ThisMagicMoment …I am feeling the same after weighing daily for years. I don’t think the daily weighing is helping me, so trying something different…weighing monthly. Wish me luck I don’t gain! (But gaining even with daily weighing…so?) Still log my food tho.

Good luck with monthly weighing!

I also gain just as easily when I'm weighing daily, so figure I might as well experiment, and see if I can cut down a little on the weighing frequency. Right now, I think I'm going to try weighing once a month, or twice at the most. I can always change my mind and go back to daily weighing.

In fact, that's probably exactly what will happen because I've had the habit for so many years. A year or so ago, I managed to go three weeks without hopping on the scale, but by that time, I was so nervous that I had gained a lot of weight, that I simply couldn't take "not knowing" anymore. I didn't gain a lot of weight, but it still made me nervous.

I bought a new scale a few months ago, but it seems to be a piece of junk. If I hopped on it twenty times in a row, I'd get about twenty different readings, so I'm not sure why I bother with it anyway.

The way my jeans fit tells me whether I'm going up or down, so why don't I just go by that instead of being frustrated every day by the number on the scale?

Frustration, stress or other emotions related to weigh-ins seem like a rational reason to reduce weigh-in frequency, to me.

You'll notice that several of us who are long-term daily weigh-ers (and happy with it) mentioned the weigh-in being hum-drum, just a data point, non-stressful, etc.

If that's not you, I think it's not essential to weigh daily, especially if your jeans' fit gives you the feedback you need to keep your weight where you want it. Realistically, once in maintenance, we need to do something noticeably dramatic behavior-wise to gain much in a month, anyway.

I'd often encourage someone new to data-managed weight changes to weigh daily for a while if it's not too stressful, in order to understand their own individual fluctuation patterns. There have been times when if I weighed only weekly, and in maintenance maybe even if I only weighed monthly, where I'd think I'd gained fat if I happened to select an atypically low start day to weigh in, then an atypically high one later.

The tradeoffs are different in maintenance, though, and you've weighed daily for a long time it sounds like, so you presumably already understand your personal fluctuation patterns pretty well.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    By the way, welcome to the new participants! I think @fabgeekmom, @simlovgin96083, @lizhumphreys2013 are all new to the thread, and I fear I may've missed greeting others by name, but happy to see everyone taking the reins, driving in a positive direction, and joining us here in 60&up-ville. :flowerforyou:
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    Do any of you use the Happy Scale app? It gives the average. You can go into settings & disable the up/down arrrows it gives after each weigh in. I'm in maintenance & gave myself an 8lb range
  • AnnPT77
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    Do any of you use the Happy Scale app? It gives the average. You can go into settings & disable the up/down arrrows it gives after each weigh in. I'm in maintenance & gave myself an 8lb range

Happy Scale is good, but I think it's only available for Apple/iOS.

There are other similar apps that give a person a statistical smoothing & projection. There's Libra for Android (which I use and like), Trendweight (IMU one needs a free Fitbit account, but not a Fitbit device), Weightgrapher on the web, and others.

It's useful to realize that they're just making statistical projections (estimates) about trends. It's not a magic crystal ball. I remember one guy here on MFP who was angry that one of these weight trending apps didn't tell him his "true weight". :D (Personally, I don't think we even have a single "true weight" - more like a current range, and a longer-term trend (up, down or level).
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    I bought a new scale a few months ago, but it seems to be a piece of junk. If I hopped on it twenty times in a row, I'd get about twenty different readings, so I'm not sure why I bother with it anyway.

What kind of surface is your scale on? Having it on a rug could cause a fluctuation. If the little rubber feet get fur under them, so can that. If it's a digital scale, low batteries can also cause readings to be off.

Or maybe it is a lemon; exchange it for one that works. I've been happy with mine for many years, and it wasn't very expensive. When I used to have access to a balance in our fitness room at work, I'd sometimes weigh myself right before I rode my bike to work, fully dressed, then weigh when I'd get to work. My scale was always consistent. I think it was a half pound off from the balance, but the same half pound every time. I actually have a second scale, and it's also quite consistent but about a pound lower than the one I use every day. When the one I use finally reaches the end of its life, I'll magically lose a pound the next day even though I know my actual mass is pretty much right between what the two scales tell me.
  • ThisMagicMoment
    ThisMagicMoment Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well, so much for that. I'm a daily weigher, and no matter how many articles I read about "ditching the scale", I most likely won't.
    Like others have said, it's just too interesting having all that data. Yes, I do understand my fluctuations, and hopping on the scale is usually just something I do.

I was just toying with the idea of reducing the number of times I hop on the scale as something different to do, but I realize that it makes me more nervous not "knowing my number" than seeing numbers I probably don't like every day. Weighing really does turn into a difficult habit to break, but I suppose it isn't something I need to worry about anyway.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I’m finding some inconsistency in my relationship to the scale. I did get a new one recently, after realizing my ancient one, which I rarely used, was way off (10 lb below my doctor’s office reading!). Also, I have not-great vision and really couldn’t read the tiny numbers. Not sure about the new scale, because my bathroom floor tiles are a bit textured, so the numbers change if I move the thing a few inches. Finally I found a level piece of wood to place underneath, so I think I’m getting consistent, if not totally accurate, data from day to day. But the daily change has been negligible lately, so it’s not much of a source of inspiration and I might switch to weekly for a bit, just to see how that feels. I’m still feeling my way along with my food and exercise situation, and I expect my attitude about the scale’s value is reflecting that.
  • karlschaeffer
    Options
    I weigh weekly, my BH weighs daily. Agree with Anne, we’re all cults here and hopefully we all can figure out what works for us.
  • karlschaeffer
    Options
    I weigh weekly, my BH weighs daily. Agree with Anne, we’re all cults here and hopefully we all can figure out what works for us.

Adults not cults.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain from the bursitis. I just finished a month of physical therapy and I am sooo much better. I started water aerobics which is also helping. After 2 and a half months I am finally going hack to line 💃 dancing. Hoping you feel better soon!!
  • car_west
    car_west Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am so glad to see this group. I just joined last night I started the FP4H group and living alone I need the support and prayers.
  • fabgeekmom
    fabgeekmom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I finally lost .5 pounds! I think I have been dieting since at least 1975. I’ve been more successful on MFP than I was on WW. I only have 5 pounds to lose.