STARS 9 WEEK HOLIDAY CHALLENGE (CLOSED GROUP)

Options

Replies

• tartz66
    tartz66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    MONDAY 9/26/11 : Since we are all at different points in this weight loss process, what has helped you to be the most successful in weight loss, exercise, or staying within your calories so far?

I am still struggling with this. Last week was the first time I achieved my goal. I managed to go to the gym M-F and I stayed with-in my calories. Honestly, what I think that helped me stay motivated was MFP! I kept logging my food and exercises even if my choices of food were not the best choices. For example....last week I had a Mcdonalds vanilla milkshake and I logged it after I drank it not realizing that I had just consumed 540 calories. I definately did not make that mistake again! I also feel that making myself go to the gym helps me to stay focused and motivated and once I go; I feel so much better that I did. Working out helps me not to make bad choices with my food because I don't want to ruin the calories that I just burned from working out. Keep logging, keep posting and we will all succeed ladies! LET"S DO THIS!!!! Terri
  • Tiffany517
    Tiffany517 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    MONDAY 9/26/11 : Since we are all at different points in this weight loss process, what has helped you to be the most successful in weight loss, exercise, or staying within your calories so far?

I'm still working on this... I think the part that has played most with me would be the exercise part, my diet isn't really the best. Some of the time i am under my calories with eating back exercise calories, but i don't have the greatest choices of food. I started this joureny once before and i really didn't change the foods i ate just the amount of food it was and well course all the chocolate i was eating i stopped!!! and used it as a reward.
  • 6eighteen11
    Options

For me it would be my husband joining me in my weight loss journey. I'd be as motivated as I could be, but when I was sitting there eating a salad and he was making a pizza, the temptation to cheat on my diet was a problem. And on top of that, he would come home and plop himself down in front of the TV. How much fun is it for me to work out when I know he's upstairs watching something I wish I could be watching?

But he hit his own realization that he needed to change, too, when he put on his Packers t-shirt for the game two weeks ago (the same one he was wearing just last February) and it was too tight. We've started biking together, and he even spends time on the elliptical while I work out to my DVDs in the same room. We plan healthy grocery lists and stick to them, and don't eat out unless we know we're going somewhere we know we can make healthy choices. It's only been 2 weeks of this and I can already feel my motivation levels spiking!
  • prizmaa
    prizmaa Posts: 62 Member
    Options

The first thing that has helped me has been eating clean as much as possible. I know I can't do it 100% of the time, but I can do it most of the time and it has really helped to cut out the sugars and simple carbs.
    And the other thing is being accountable to someone. When I first started on this website, I was skeptical about looking for an accountabitlity partner, but I decided to give it a try. It has helped me so much to have someone to report to about how you're doing and talk about struggles you may be having. That's why I think this challenge is such a great idea, being paired up with partners and having that daily contact is so important! :)
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Well since I wanted to lose weight so I could keep up with my grandbaby (before he was even here) I think seeing his precious face most everyday keeps me going! I want to be a fun, active grandma and seeing him helps remind me of that plus just keeping up with him daily.
    As for ecercise - we go for a walk everyday (M-F) either in the neighborhood or the mall and we love that time together.
    I love MFP and I really love this challange - I hate to let others down so it keeps me motovated.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options

What has helped me the most???? Well my friends here on MFP! This web-site has been WONDERFUL! I have also met a great woman on here that I get my support from (shout out to you WENDY F! aka WONDER WOMAN!!!) and we share a lot in common. I am also feeling like this challenge group is going to help a great deal to get through this journey I am on.

I am not very successful with what I east but I am successful at documenting my food on here. I am getting better with the food but it's definately baby steps! The exercise is wonderful. What gets me going is the fact that I love the program I am on. Chalene Johnson is AMAZING and I am doing her Turbo Fire program. Every day I can't wait to do the next day! That is except for yesterday, just didn't want to get off the couch. Then I thought of my teammates on here and I didn't want to let them down. So I got my lovely exercise outfit on (thank goodness I'm in the basement where nobody can see me!) and burnt over 300 calories. It felt sooooo good!

WIth determination and each others support we will ALL get through these next 9 weeks!

Cant' wait for tomorrow's question!

Take care everyone!

Rhonda
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Since we are all at different points in this weight loss process, what has helped you to be the most successful in weight loss, exercise, or staying within your calories so far?

Staying within my calorie range particularly logging every morsal that passes these lips. It is just too easy for me to get really busy and not be aware of how quickly the calories can rack up. The mindless snacking is a killer to losing weight. I like knowing where I am during the day and can add in a little more exercise if need be.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options

With staying within my calories, the thing which has helped me the most has been eating large volumes of low calorie foods as much as possible. I see people at work and people in restaurants when I go out to each look at the volume of food that I am eating. I can just see them thinking, "If she didn't eat like that, she wouldn't be overweight..." Little do they know that it is BECAUSE I eat that way that I am losing weight - 40 pounds so far! I don't feel deprived when I have 3ish cups of vegetables with 3/4 cup of rice and 3 oz. of shrimp on my plate - as a matter of fact, I have a hard time eating it all at times! Or, a HUGE salad with a small amount of a medium to low calorie dressing (the entire salad runs around 100 calories or LESS!) as a companion to a typical meal. If I make healthier, lower calorie foods, I can eat a LOT of food and not feel hungry!

For exercise, the most benefical tool has been my gym membership. I am fortunate enough that my employer pays for a gym membership for me and my co-workers. Without that, I would have a hard time finding the time to workout being a single parent with no alternative child care. Taking Zumba classes has really gotten me out there socially, and while I am not quite a social butterfly, I am talking to acquaintances on a regular basis. I have strangers coming up to me and telling me how they follow my moves in class and have noticed how much weight I have lost...and ask how I have done it! That is a huge motivator for me to keep with it!
  • jereedy1089
    jereedy1089 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First off, sorry everyone that I have not been on here in the last 4 days or more, I have been really sick but doing better now. Ready to start back over again! Its a new week! Now to my question and answer

Monday 9/26/11 : Since we are all at different points in this weight loss process, what has helped you to be the most successful in weight loss, exercise, and staying within your calories so far?

For me, many things have helped me be successful on this journey to my weightloss goals. The first thing I have accepted before I began this process is....TAKE IT SLOW. In the past I have always tried to do things the quick results way and then the weight comes right back on as quick as it came off. So the key for me is taking a slower approach, learning to lose the weight but also maintain the weight that has come off.

The second thing I decided to do which was different from before was to change my eating habits and lifestyle first. And although My Fitness Pal has been a great tracker, I try not to get too hung up on the calories, and more so focusing on the amount of carbs, fat, protein, sugar I intake than calories. If the food is coming from mother nature you shouldnt have to count your calories. I have done and continue to do alot of research through reading books, magazines and just talking to people about what works for them. The biggest thing I have also learned is what may work for one person, may not work for you. Everyones body is different. I try to eat every 2-3 hours to keep my metabolism moving. I also typically only eat organically grown, all natural, no chemicals or pesticides produce, meat and grains. That makes a huge difference as well. The biggest food that has helped aide me in my weight loss are my green protein shakes. I use an all natural whey protein with organic bananas, home grown kale, organic spinach and water. Honestly theres all kinds fun smoothies-shakes you can make and they are extremely healthy for you. Foods I typically eat are low fat cottage cheese, larabars, blueberries (in the morning only), apples, strawberries, ezekiel bread, white albacore tuna (from costco), organic chicken breasts, tilapia, salmon, egg whites, red peppers, spinach, tomatoes, spicy black bean boca burgers...those are just some examples of foods I eat. I do not eat alot of fruit though because fruit has alot of natural sugars. And if I do eat fruit I try to only eat it in the mornings or lunch. I also write down what I eat in a journal, the amount of carbs, sugars, protein, SODIUM, and fat in the food I eat as well.

The third thing that has helped me with my weight loss that I am going to be doing more of is exercise, specifically weight lifting and strength training. I find that doing a HIT workout for 30 minutes or less is more effective for me than doing 30 minutes of cardio on the elliptical or treadmill, unless I am doing intense interval training. I have been reading alot of oxygen, muscle and fitness hers, self, shape magazines for tips, techniques, and exercise routines as well. I created a fitness binder by cutting out pages from those magazines. My binder consists all kinds of workouts that train certain muscle groups that I can take with me to the gym or use at home. That has been extremely motivating and encouraging for me as well. A DVD that I always tell people about is the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, its very challenging and very effective! Its not easy at all but it wil deliver results! I am starting that for the second time this week so wish me luck!

Hope this helps anyone!
  • ChatSournois
    Options

Well, I'm going to think back to the time when I actually did lose the weight and use the same things now. The main thing that worked for me in the past was making a list of lunches/dinners for the week and then just buying what I needed while I was shopping. I still had to buy snacks & treats for my partner & son but I made sure that I got flavours that I think are disgusting (like cheesey crisps or custard biscuits-yuk). I stuck the list up on the fridge and followed it each day.
    At the time, I walked everywhere as my son was in a pram & I could easily walk for at least 90 minutes a day. I can see that I need to step that up now.
    I liked in Weight Watchers that you got little silver '7' stickers for your card when you lost 7 pounds and that you could easily see the weight coming down if you looked at your information card (I'm like a kid in school,lol). So, I think this challenge will be good because I'll be able to see the difference on the weigh-in sheet every week.
    And finally, it helped me in the past to have some kind of treat night to look forward to. I used to eat really healthily all day until my Weight Watchers weigh-in and then when I got home that night, I would have a treat like some pizza. I'm doing that now and Friday is the treat night in our house..so it's just a case of finding healthy treats.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Monday 9/26/11 : Since we are all at different points in this weight loss process, what has helped you to be the most successful in weight loss, exercise, and staying within your calories so far?

logging and daily workouts seem to be doing the trick, although I had TWO rest days this week because my knee has been hurting and I think tis the jogging. and now my HEEL hurts and I have no idea how I did that. Gah.

For staying within my calories I don't do anything special - I pretty much just cut out 'treats' from my life. I used to have a LOT of treats ...such that they weren't really treats. I used to get a pastry or dessert or a fried side dish probably 7 times a week. Or more. I just used to eat a LOT more and I've cut back on that. I don't have problems stopping myself from eating for the most part though. I've just learned that I cant' have a treat every single day - I have to make it a rare-r occassion, and I needed to stop overeating altogether.
  • tessacope2
    Options

Accountability is key for me. And that is why I've come back to MFP. Logging food and exercise keeps me on track and focused. Now I just need to stick with it. I read somewhere that after 14 days of doing anything, it becomes a habit. I'm on day 6 so almost there!
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options

In the past it has been very hard to be successful with all of the above. In the past week I just have been reminding myself that whatever it is I'm craving is not worth it. So far so good, but it has only been a week. I am hoping that joining this challenge will help me stick with it this time. I'm hoping I see some real results by the end of this 9 weeks so that I will be able to stay motivated to continue. At this point, I am just really hoping that the accountability of joining this challenge and not wanting to let my team down will lead me to success :)
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options

My last weight loss success was three years ago, so first I will talk about what has kept me successful for these first two days. Really, it is YOU GUYS!!!!! I am just LOVING this group and I think about you guys all day and pretend that you are there cheering me on when I make a good choice. Like many of you, I don't want to let my team down, so that motivates me. I'm not a competitive type (I wish that I was) but what gets me wanting to contribute and do my part.

I am LOVING reading all of your answers. I have already gotten so many ideas about eating clean, staying away from processed foods as much as possible, exercising...I love it all!

In the past, what made me successful was setting goals for myself and imagining what it would be like if I met those goals. For example, I planned to go to a Bret Michaels concert. (I love him. I realize he is quite gross, but I adored him as a teen, and now he has just turned yucky. Anyway...) I wanted to look good for the concert so I thought about that concert every day. The next month after the concert I planned on what I could wear to my next concert, and again, it was totally motivating. When I started loosing more and more weight, I started picturing myself pregnant, and in order to be pregnant, I needed to lose weight. That's what I am doing again...Picturing myself running around with my little girl (I hope she runs someday!) and pregnant.

I can't wait for tomorrow's question. You ladies rock! And to the lady who started this challenge...THANK YOU! It has done much more for me than helping me lose weight. It has given me hope and has helped me to keep my depression at bay.
  • luvmybee
    Options
    See the next post. Oops.
  • luvmybee
    Options
    All I am reposting the team list as an image.

6185605752_52bf5d1169.jpg
    Team by starsnyc21, on Flickr

Thank you so much for putting this here! I saved it on my computer. Is it one of your pictures on your page, so we could look at it there?
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have to catchup on my QOD's
    Sunday's What downfalls have you encountered with your weight loss?
    I would have to say that the intense lack of support that I recieved at first was terrible.I still don't get the support I need sometimes and it makes me sad. Another downfall is the lack of success in the other areas of my life. It makes me think I might be putting too much emphasis on this sometimes. I M PLnning on keeping optimistic by doing other things in my life so I don't make this my entire life, no matter how much I love it.

Monday's
    What has helped me stay on track?
    I found that no matter how much I work out if I don't learn to eat the right way, it won't matter. And I have also learned to eat more and be more active. Not really excercise more but be active where I wasn't before.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    QOTH Tuesday: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?
    1. I want to wear a bikini and look great.
    2. To be healthy.
    3. TO have the confidence that I need to get me through other areas of my life.

Thing I will do:
    Make a modeling portfolio because it's something I have never done that i have always wanted to do.
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options
    QOTD Tuesday: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?

Love the question!
    1. To feel better about myself.
    2. To be able to wear my pants without the fear of taking someones eye out if my button flies off!!!!!
    3. Just to look better gosh darn it!
    Once I lose my weight I'm going to get off my wallet and buy a pair of LuLu Lemon pants! My *kitten* will deserve it!!!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    QOTH Tuesday: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?

1. To not embarrass my kids with how big their mom is.
    2. To help control my PCOS and thyroid issues if at all possible.
    3. To live as long a life as possible.

I will take the kids to a water park and not want to die of shame the entire time while in a swimsuit.