WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2023

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,818 Member
    edited September 2023
    Lisa: Kels has certainly had a lot to deal with. I asked DH about the shut down. That must be so tough for those affected, especially in the present financial climate. Kudos to Kels and Co to have thought ahead.

I think many of us got to like it when we were in lockdown during Covid. It was actually a lot less stressful. IMHO many of our ailments are exacerbated by stress.

Rita:Hope it pans out for your son. It’s okay to distance yourself from the negativity of your relatives. In fact in some cases it’s an absolute necessity.

I have a relaxed weekend in prospect. Just a short trip to our local shops this morning, and a visit to DED tomorrow for afternoon coffee. DYGS has gone back to Uni in England, but we will probably see DEGS at his mums tomorrow.

I have already written a piece for Creative Writing on Monday, and prepped ahead for my Monday Painters beginners. I am really enjoying passing on my expertise to enthusiastic learners.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,467 Member
    Saturday --

Harvesting more honey today. We have a very full, heavy pot of honey and comb currently being pressed. This batch smells and tastes more flowery than the previous batch. In an urban area one box can differ from another, one frame can even differ from another, because of the variety of pollen and nectar sources.

Harvesting potatoes! It's just the beginning. I brought in enough for about a weeks' worth of meals.
    But the potato area was very weedy so I spent quite a bit of time out there removing weeds.

Then I spent a little while clearing the dead fronds from the red hot pokers. :)

This is the first warmish day of spring! I actually had to break out the shorts!!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,467 Member
    I think many of us got to like it when we were in lockdown during Covid. It was actually a lot less stressful. IMHO many of our ailments are exacerbated by stress.

I loved the COVID lockdowns. The best part of the past 5.5 years!

And you're absolutely right about ailments and stress. I strongly suspect my CKD is stress related.

I have already written a piece for Creative Writing on Monday, and prepped ahead for my Monday Painters beginners. I am really enjoying passing on my expertise to enthusiastic learners.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

☘️ Terri

Well done!

M in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,595 Member
    We've had lovely warmer weather after the couple days of rain. Next week will be summer again. Love it. Lots to do and nice warm days in the 70's to accomplish things. :)

Barbie - I too am pretty much done with tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes I still have on the vine are cracking. I picked a few of the larger slicing types-just starting to turn red - and they should continue to ripen. It was a wonderful tomato season this year, making up for last year. Winter squash also picked and hardening in the shop. Sounds like Jake has a nice pumpkin crop.

I saw an article this morning that right now, after pulling up squash vines, or in my case pulled the rest of the container red beets, there's a chance to get a fall crop of snow peas planted. I found some seeds in my stash so will see if I can get something going, will soak them overnight. The local hardware carries Territorial Seeds and are having an end of the season close-out sale, will stop by next week and see what they have left for planting next year.

Lisa - I'm going to try the sweet/regular pink potato mash. Thank you for the suggestion! Hope Kels and family do OK with the shutdown if it comes. Seems like we go through this every few years.

Rita - crossing fingers your son's job works out and people go back into neutral corners. I was raised in a family that often did the blame thing - I think back in shame at some of the dumb things I said that weren't necessary and just caused more pain. Two things come to mind - "If I can't say anything nice don't say anything at all" and the Barb's "never miss an opportunity to keep my mouth shut." Great ideas going into old age. :) Hope your BP stays at a good level from here on out.

Tracey - good luck with the drywall project. Sounds like you are doing great with your school work. :)

Shuleran - welcome. <3 Hang in there, several of us here have been in your shoes. I see YouTube videos for chair yoga and upper body weight training that might keep you motivated while you are limited with regular exercise. I'm sure you'll get PT after your surgery and they can likely help with that too. :)

Regarding exercise, I decided for now, if I can simply get more movement in while I can work outside, plus get at least a mile walk in, and add in a walking video, or a few minutes with the weights, or even 15 minutes on the vibration plate or dancing to some tunes on the radio, etc., I am satisfied with that. I looked further into the Wellen workouts for Osteopenia and Osteoporosis - they have some exercises on YouTube for balance that are very good. We don't have to be perfect, ladies, just stay as active as we can and try not to sit for a long period of time.

About not wanting to go to town - I seem to dread it too. For one thing, I think I'm still rebelling against all the years I HAD to go to town for work. Once I get there, I do enjoy some social interaction, often running into friends at stores and catching up for a few minutes, or even talking with complete strangers. :p Then I can escape! But I'm always glad to get home to Rosie and the chickens. I think Terri is right - the pandemic helped make us OK with staying at home, plus for me, I was uncomfortable leaving DH alone for a long period of time because he worried so during his final years. It's still a habit.

Planning to walk with my neighbor this morning and see what's up with her. We kind of planned to walk yesterday morning but she never confirmed, I rec'd an email from her last night that she'd been "off the radar" but today was OK. Her little brother passed away a couple weeks ago, he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer and chose assisted suicide, which threw the family for a loop and since she's the oldest, all the relatives have been contacting her to talk about it and it's wearing her out. :(

That's the catch up. Make it a great weekend!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,701 Member
    Good Saturday,
    Colonoscopy for DH went well. Removed 12 polyps though. Now he has to repeat every three years. I dressed for cold office (sweatshirt, cami, no bra). The air was stale inside, so I sat outside. Good thing not much traffic there cause the sweatshirt came off. All in all yesterday was a good day. Laundry done, sheets changed, chicken in crockpot then deboned, deer tips for dinner, kitchen cleaned, and made fantastic work progress. 👌

Short work day today. Do have to finish up a couple of more things but hope to enjoy the weekend not too stressed. I really need to catch up on home paperwork. Haven't caught up checkbooks in a couple of months. DH still likes the registries as easier for him to see.

Rita Hugs. I have to distance myself from my mother as she is so negative. Continue to make the choice to block out the negatives in your life. We are here for you!

Welcome Shuleran . You are here so that is a great step. There is lots of support here. Like Lisa said, I have to quit saying I can't and I don't. Exercise doesn't look the same for any of us. Some ride. Some run. Some walk. Some do chair exercises. Being here helps.

Gotta get ready for day. Still eating everything in sight except sweets.... 😋...weird for me. Two more days on med.

Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,530 Member
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,148 Member

About not wanting to go to town - I seem to dread it too. For one thing, I think I'm still rebelling against all the years I HAD to go to town for work. Once I get there, I do enjoy some social interaction, often running into friends at stores and catching up for a few minutes, or even talking with complete strangers. :p Then I can escape! But I'm always glad to get home to Rosie and the chickens. I think Terri is right - the pandemic helped make us OK with staying at home, plus for me, I was uncomfortable leaving DH alone for a long period of time because he worried so during his final years. It's still a habit.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

:) This is the way I feel about going somewhere. I am great at errands and interacting with people. I just don't want to be bothered with leaving the house and getting in the car. I am happy at home and have plenty to do.

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,806 Member
    @Shuleran , welcome! Just remember that disgust with yourself isn't helpful either, so turn that page and let it go if you can. If it seems easier said than done, just stay with us as we move to the October thread late tonight. Barbie will post a new October thread to start a clean slate for all of us to keep talking here, as we do every month. You'll find the link here in the thread. There has already been lots of advice for you on the recovery time - I had a knee replaced a few years back, and there is a lot of non-weight-bearing exercise that is an option. You've still got the vast majority of your body to work with while the knee surgery is healing, the important thing is to keep moving.

Machka - You're looking great - and the honey looks absolutely icky and sticky! :smiley: Hope it jars up just wonderfully, I'm sure it will. So pleased your bees left behind that gift, and I hope you are able to get another colony established this year.

Tracey - I was welling up with tears talking here about the coffee talks with Mama. She's been gone almost 25 years now, but the grief can still swamp me. Which would annoy her no end, by the way, she wasn't a big fan of emotional displays.

On me being a big fat dreader, I don't think it reaches the level of agoraphobia, and I'm genuinely not panicky or in distress, I just don't want to go! I love being home and doing what I choose when I choose, and the only trip is walking down the hill to get the mail. :smiley: It doesn't matter what it is that has to be done - I feel the same way about parties, doctor's appointments, long car trips, shopping in large stores, pretty much anything that isn't here. Don't want to.

If I wasn't perfectly willing to exercise here or do the sweaty work of gardening, etc., I'd think it was laziness, but mostly I'd just rather stay home... :smiley: As someone else said, when you throw in the pandemic lockdown, my own issues with unexpected bathroom visits, and just generally being sick for a couple years, you really do find out what's important--and it's all here.

Corey's ambition this weekend is to get the brush and trees around the little stable cleared and get it back in the sunshine. He's still drinking coffee in bed, so the temperature will be up into the low 90s before he's ready to get moving. I'm just going to count it as my resistance work for today, as I'll be dragging brush, which means moving cut trees around to get them tied onto the little tractor to get them dragged over to the burn pit. Sweaty work, but I'll be happy when it's clear and not dark in that stable area. I'll take some before pics here in a minute, got to put my rubber boots on, it's SO wet from the morning dew right now.

Not sure why that reminded me - has Joy popped in of late and I missed it? Hope all's well in her world...

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,704 Member
    Allie - what a sweet picture of Miles. That one needs to be printed and framed.
    I hope that Carmine can get some help somewhere. Self harm threats are frightening.

Rebecca - my oven needs a good cleaning too. Maybe I’ll do that this week. I have a few extra days off coming up.

Rita - I hope you are able to ignore some calls and texts. It sounds like you need a break.
    You shouldn’t be blamed at all!

Lisa - thankful your family is safe, what a stressful event.

Machka - I think doing nothing for me is when I’m sitting watching tv or scrolling on my phone. I do this too often of late.

Barbara and Lisa - I hadn’t thought about my reading and responding on here as a visit, but it’s so true! I love the analogy.

Lisa - I miss those coffee gabs, I was never able to have them with my Mom. We just didn’t have that type of relationship. My MIL though is the reason I started coffee. I still absolutely love her coffee more than anyone’s and all it is is Maxwell House instant. I don’t know if it’s just the memories it brings to mind or her water, either way it is the best.
    Now I’m homesick. 😂

Allie - does insurance cover any of that cost?

Margaret- I think you have beautiful words for Allie’s Carmine. I hope she is able to find some peace soon.

Heather - I hope you have a nice visit. My DH always doubts himself and then complains when it’s not perfect (in his eyes, not mine), I hope Johnny isn’t too hard on himself.

Rita - I don’t understand how family can be negative towards another member. My DH’s family is like that sometimes towards our nephew. The mistakes he made over a decade ago and as a teen are how they look at him now as a 32 year old. He’s come a long way, and I think they should be proud of him.
    I hope your son continues on this path.

I finished another session today, 95% for a final grade.

The next two weeks is a bit of a break. I’m off Mon, Tues, Wed. Thurs I take Suicide Intervention, Fri - Non-Violent Intervention.
    The week after I only have 2 days.

Today we put drywall up in the dining room. We still need to do the hallway. We’re going to try to get most of that done tomorrow before our friends wedding.
    I need to decide on a paint colour. I’m thinking white. I want it to be bright.

A decision for another day.
    Tracey in Edmonton

Aaack! Come clean mine!😂😂😂 The fact that at the last house while cleaning the oven there, when we were moving out, well I lifted up the bottom heating element. Now in other homes, I did that, no problem, but that home the heating element didn't swivel up so I blew out the connection with a loud pop and spark. I am not sure how this oven operates and I just don't wanna even know about it. It really scared me. I know I need to jump in with both feet sort of thing, but I don't wanna! I will let some random cleaning lady on the island do this task.😁👍🏼💪
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Margaret-I like both songs you will be singing. I have never done a solo but I do enjoy singing.

Rita-good news regarding son. Can't add to advice others have given regarding family.

Rebecca-Interesting food approach right now. I am getting back to more precise tracking-I stop and things go up! Staying in the ball park helps (even if logging is not 100% perfect).

Lisa-good for you fitting in exercise at different time. Right now I am switching walks to after work instead of preferred early morning due to lack of light-we can live through it!

Allie-the cost of that program is a bit ridiculous. Do you get Silver Sneakers or some such program with your insurance? Perhaps one of the local senior facilities has a trainer available you could pay much less for. You know what to do for food from MFP.

Shuleran--welcome. We can use every day to start over-what matters is we keep trying.

Tired after this week-think combination of work, Covid aftermath and a UTI. No big plans for weekend so that is good. I did get my new Apple Watch set up. Giving old one to DIL who has a series 3, sot my 6 will be an upgrade for her. Realize with old one that perhaps I had not been taking advantage of full cellular function. Going to try it out this morning.

Off to get a bit of a gentle workout in. Every movement helps!

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

Its a weird approach I will admit it. I am even leaving the rice cooker on the counter so I can steam veggies, make rice and whatnot.👍🏼
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • Whidislander
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Harvesting honey ...

wonkfvno1sp4.png
    jjse0k970xhn.png
    ezb5c9wq1rk1.png
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/

Machka in Oz

How positively beautiful! Its golden! Nature has the best colors.😁💖
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,086 Member
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,588 Member
    edited September 2023
    Today’s gratitude: woke up with no shin pain.
    Yesterday’s gratitude: Joe made it safely home the long way, Dr. is happy with pressure and Joe doesn’t have to go back for six months.
    September average weight 131.0 = less than August’s 131.7 so still creeping in the right direction. Monthly summary tomorrow.
    Stumbled on new TV series “Irrational.” Liked it, reminiscent of “Bull” using psychology to defuse hostage situations or get to the truth in criminal investigations.
    Machka ;) not much land here to break the westerly winds either and it’s a long way to Eurasia but ok yes now I get it. There really is a whole bunch of empty ocean west of Taz ;)
    not much landhwyktz8rdbgf.jpg
    long way to Asiaz8m97genag5w.jpg
    ok now I get itymddk1jq048k.jpg
    Yes Spider is a flavor of solitaire. I waste too much time watching TV but yesterday I used the time to brush Tumble. Wish Shadow fit on my lap…:laugh:
    Lisa ((hugs)) ”…missing yesterday's exercise was a mistake - every joint hurt this morning…“ doncha’ just hate that form of motivation? “excep the bathroom part :laugh:
    @Joy1580vb has popped into my mind too in recent days. Hope she’s just busy with harvest/end of season activities.
    Allie $8-$10K? Yikes!
    Margaret thanks for the “The Tools” by Phil Sturtz recommendation. Will look it up after I finish Organized Enough. Struggling with it as I can only read it on my iphone (Hoopla) and I much prefer holding a hardcopy book in my hand. Now if it were available in an audio book. . . then I could listen while actually decluttering :laugh: :noway: :laugh: Wish your solos were available on YouTube or FB or Zoom.
    Barbie what you said about following the (healthy) directions consistently. It’s a challenge every day. Today I decided to treat myself with tea the way I used to have it, Lemon Lift with sugar. Ugh. Too bitter even with 6g sugar. Back to the Sweet and Spicy unsweetened.
    Rita ((hugs)) vent here that’s what we’re here for. I’m thankful that at least they are physically far away, how much worse it would be if they were always nearby. Whooshing you strong boundaries. Thankful to hear your son got re-hired. Praying he passes the physical. Back to work would be the best thing for all.
    Rebecca “squid” :sick: :noway: :laugh: Eating with chopsticks doesn’t slow me down. When I broke my right wrist the first time, forks and spoons were a struggle with my left, but chopsticks, heck, I didn’t even realize I was using my left, just naturally baled it in! :love: Eli’s smile and Wow, Athena looks so grown up!
    Vicki, Heather, Barbie, Rebecca, Tracey, Terri, Lanette, Kylia yours to Rita, Amen, sisters, amen.
    Tracey con VERY gratulations on your high grade! You really are doing well.
    Welcome @Shuleran ! Can you forgive yourself and be proud of starting over? Do any of the seated / chair exercises appeal to you to help keep the activity habit going? ((hugs)) and whooshing good thoughts for successful surgery and quick, complete recovery.
    Ginny yours to Shuleran, truth!
    Lanette thanks for the Wellen exercises and snow pea reminder Hopeful ours will produce until/unless we have a snow. I blush to remember the dumb, unnecessary, hurtful things I’ve said. [sigh]
    Kylia 12 polyps? Glad they caught them.
    Looks to be a few beautiful days so will take advantage of the softened earth to do some weeding before/and/or/after dog group.
    Whoops, where does the time go? Tumble just announced that it’s way past TummyTime so get with it Ma’!
    09/29: Move: 2 sets PT w/D, line dance class, Jeopardy walking. Steps:7903
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=21 CI<CO net=626
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AD, AF, ptT, ptS, ‘nother load laundry, brushing Tumble and Shadow while listening to TV. Wt:

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    September: Move more, fuel better (less sugar), live mindfully with people, dogs, open heart and mind before mouth. Never miss an opportunity to keep the mouth shut!
    2023: Be of good cheer.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,214 Member
    2023 Self-Care September 2023

Word of the year: appreciate. Today I appreciate books.
    Meditation: daily. 28/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%,

93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 23/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) 1/8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min 2/20

Rita
    Stop B12
    Switch DHEA to every other day on sept 6
    Kev
    Add folic acid, once a day
    Add magnesium to 3x a day
    Up Berberine to 3x a day

Foods to avoid:

Barley
    Bell peppers
    Chicken
    Clam
    Egg white
    Eggplant
    Ginger
    Rye
    Wheat
    Winter squash

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%)
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 5784, 9858, 8414,6805,(7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 2/2 —(800%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 213/208—(733%) should be 189 by November 1)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)72/94 (800%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4 (500%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 23/23 (681%,100%)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 38
    /12 (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 9/12—(900%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (900%)
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0, 500%)

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met
    October met —
    November met—
    December met—

1. Find time for self-care. It’s not selfish. It’s essential. Making time!
    2. Notice the things you do well, however small. I will. Talking to campers, meeting dogs, electronics.
    3. Let go of self-criticism and speak to yourself kindly. I will try!
    4. Plan a fun or relaxing activity and make time for it. Did this already! Went for a long walk this morning.
    5. Forgive yourself when things go wrong. Everyone makes mistakes. This will be hard because I tend to blame myself for everything.
    6. Focus on the basics: eat well, exercise, and go to bed on time. Will Do!
    7. Give yourself permission to say ‘no’.. I’m doing this more often now.
    8. Be willing to share how you feel and and ask for help when needed. I will try to remember to ask for help when I need it rather than struggle and get frustrated.
    9. Aim to be good enough, rather than perfect. This needs to be a mind change for me. Whenever I do something, I get upset if it is not perfect. I need to make it a point to accept what the result is while doing my best.
    10. When you find things hard, remember it’s ok to not be ok. This is apt for today.
    11. Make time to do something you really enjoy. I hope to go ‘window shopping’ today. Did this and colored.
    12. Get active outside and give your mind and body a natural boost. Went for a 20 minute walk then the rain started.
    13. Be as kind to yourself as you would to a loved one.
    14. If you’re busy, allow yourself to pause and take a break.
    15. Find a caring calming phrase to use when you feel low. “Breathing in,I am relaxing. Breathing out, I am relaxed.”
    16. Leave positive messages for yourself to see regularly. Sticky notes, here I come!
    17. No plans day. Make time to slow down and be kind to yourself.
    18. Ask a trusted friends to tell you what strengths they see in you. Forgot to do this.
    19. Notice what you are feeling without any judgement. Doing that this morning.
    20. Enjoy photos from a time with happy memories. This sounds like fun! I do have my pictures rotating on my TV as a screensaver but need to go through those.
    21. Don’t compare how you feel inside to how others appear outside.
    22. Take your time. Make space to just breathe and be still. AHHH Meditation
    23. Let go of other people’s expectations of you. This is hard, but I try.
    24. Accept yourself and remember that your are worthy of love. I need to tell myself this often.
    25. Avoid saying ‘I should’ and make time to do nothing. I try.
    26. Find a new way to use one of your strengths or talents. I’ll have to think about this one.
    27. Free up time by canceling any unnecessary plans. Well I only have 1 planned thing, the monthly Friends Group Meeting, so won’t cancel that.
    28. Choose to see your mistakes as steps to help you learn. I try to do this, but sometimes it is hard to see the mistake I made first.
    29. Write down 3 things you appreciate about yourself. 1. My patience 2. My tenacity 3. Teacher.
    30. Remind yourself you are enough, just as you are. I am enough just as I am!

RVRita in Roswell, NM [/spoiler]
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&amp;target=https://caring-mindfulness.thinkific.com/courses/mindfulness

Mindfulness begins with paying attention on purpose.

Serving size Potassium content % of the Daily Value (DV)
    Dried apricots 1/2 cup (190 grams) 1,100 mg 23%
    Cooked lentils 1 cup (198 grams) 731 mg 16%
    Cooked acorn squash 1 cup (205 grams) 644 mg 14%
    Cooked potato 1 medium (167 grams) 610 mg 13%
    Canned kidney beans 1 cup (260 grams) 607 mg 13%
    Orange juice 1 cup (236 mL) 496 mg 11%
    Banana 1 medium (115 grams) 422 mg 9%
    Sirloin beef steak 1 ounce (85 grams) 315 mg 7%
    Milk (1% fat) 1 cup (236 mL) 366 mg 8%
    Natural Greek yogurt 3/4 cup (214 grams) 240 mg 5%
    Tomato 1 medium (123 grams) 292 mg 6%
    Brewed coffee 1 cup (235 mL) 116 mg 2%

Try this today: Aim to have 2–3 potassium-rich foods each day. For example, a banana for breakfast, 1/2 cup (130 grams) of kidney beans at lunch, and white potatoes on your dinner plate.

Personal freedom is mine for the taking. No matter how close the ties of love and concern that bind me to my family and friends, I must always remember that I am an individual, free to be myself, and live my own life in serenity and joy. From ‘One Day At A Time, ALANON.

“When I know I am free within myself, I will be better able to give loving thoughts to others.”
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,214 Member
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    51ar5ijbg56m.jpeg
    Rita I saw this and thought of you 💜

I knew it! It really did sound like it was aimed at me. Thank you Vicki!

RVRita