Would you do Keto for life or Mediterranean for life?

Options
Mediterranean Diet or a strict Ketosis Diet

Would you do Keto for life or Mediterranean for life? 22 votes

Strict Ketosis Diet
9%
NagasadowwwMacLowCarbing 2 votes
Mediterranean Diet
90%
kshama2001qpmomma1awrice1970BarbaraHelen2013Gisel2015Summersigh2015saintor1Beruskonibill1592017herblovinmomLietchievanessen59MamaBear5445fabgeekmomFattyohfatsimonabagrkellbubblesseptember192023JLRxxsarahjc1477 20 votes

Replies

• herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean Diet
    I find the Mediterranean diet more sustainable for long term health at least for myself. I did a keto diet back in 2016 after transitioning from a hcg diet and it did help me lose another 20lbs but I struggled eating that many animal products everyday every meal. With the Mediterranean diet you get to add stuff in rather than cut out. That mental shift alone makes me feel more in control, restriction is sometimes necessary but being able to eat up to a higher carb limit gives me more freedom for life changes along the way, like a birthday. When my doc recommended Mediterranean diet, it was more of a swap your white rice for brown whole grain in a smaller portion, eat more fish, use olive oil instead of vegetable oil. It wasn’t an all or nothing approach, it’s stuff I can add into my lifestyle slowly over time, less aggressive sure, but that works for me.. for longterm changes.. and I can say I feel the healthiest I’ve felt in at least a decade.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The obvious bias is obvious, I'm glad you've found a diet that works for you.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,542 Member
    Options
    Not biased at all, right? For me: neither. I eat a pretty healthy diet with lots of southern European and Asian food, and even more fusions I whack together from scratch.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean Diet
    Ketosis is definitely out for me, so I guess Mediterranean is the only remaining option 🙃
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I wonder if there's any people on a ketogenic diet that live in the Mediterranean and eating Mediterranean foods? Inquiring minds would like to know. :#
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I wonder if there's any people on a ketogenic diet that live in the Mediterranean and eating Mediterranean foods? Inquiring minds would like to know. :#

Sure--it's highly possible. My BIL ( a cardiologist) and his wife both did (do) Keto now and again. We all know when because they have trouble going out for pizza with the rest of the family. :D:D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,842 Member
    Options
    How about neither?

I vote "no".

I can achieve my health, fitness and weight goals without doing either. Why should I overcomplicate?

If one of those makes it easier for you to manage your body weight, nutrition, and performance in line with your goals, do it - it's perfect. If not, neither is essential.

There are a variety of ways to manage body weight, get adequate nutrition, and support athletic and daily life performance. Finding one that fits personally is IMO where the magic is.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,542 Member
    Options
    How about an ever changing diet of mainly healthy food with the proper macros and calories?

This is the way!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    How about an ever changing diet of mainly healthy food with the proper macros and calories?

This is the way!

Let's start a thread!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,842 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

This is the way!

Let's start a thread!!!

Hmm, a thread with mainly healthy food with proper macros and calories (maybe situationally flexible on the macros, especially the carbs)?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

Izzat maybe close enough? ;)
  • MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Strict Ketosis Diet
    I wouldn't wanna be stuck with only 2 choices lol. I don't like sticking to any 'diet plan', I rather try to figure out my body's needs.

But if I had to choose one of the two presented, definitely Keto.

Keto is closer to what I do now (low carb/high fat); for me it is way more sustainable because:
    - I'm a carb addict and I don't get hunger/cravings/desires to binge anymore; it is very liberating to break out of the grip of an addiction
    - I find it mores satiating
    - my blood sugar has stabilized and diabetes is almost reversed
    - it has gotten me off most meds at age 54
    - lowers inflammation, which helps with arthritis & sarcoidosis

I tried Mediterranean once when it first became a thing and did not find it enjoyable, nor have I found success on similar diets. It would not be sustainable for me because:
    - any kind of grains, including whole grains/brown grains, make it hard for me to stop eating
    - when I'm always hungry it's very difficult to stay in a calorie deficit
    - too many veggies give me indigestion, diarrhea, and cause inflammation
    - they want you to limit red meat, saturated fats, and full fat dairy; I use to do that, but putting these things into my diet has helped me tremendously and I wouldn't want to go back.

Every body is different. What's important is to find what works for you.

• MacLowCarbing
    MacLowCarbing Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Strict Ketosis Diet

I would think so, it's really not that different. Both promote the consumption of real foods and avoiding processed foods & sugars.

People on Keto eat most things that are on the Mediterranean diet recommendations, just less carbs & more red meat/whole dairy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I can't vote because "None of the above" would be correct answer for me and is not an option

I don't follow any particular diet, either now or for life
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    No.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Those are definitely not mutually exclusive options.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    True - they are not mutually exclusive.

it is also presented as a false dichotomy - ie as if those are the only options, when obviously they are not.

the poll probably should also have
    both of the above
    neither of the above.
  • september192023
    september192023 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean Diet
    Med diet, for sure. More flexibility with foods, still mostly low-carb. I am not giving up bread 100%.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean Diet
    Those are definitely not mutually exclusive options.

A quick google shows carb macros for the Mediterranean diet to be between 40-60%, while Keto to be 5-10% carbs, so I'm confused as to why you think Med and Keto are not mutually exclusive.

"Mediterranean diet" should be read as how it is typically understood. The option was not Keto Med, which is is in the same category as Vegan Keto, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Fattyohfat
    Fattyohfat Posts: 51 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Mediterranean Diet
    Done both lost weight with both. But found Mediterranean to be easier to follow, tastier, and easier to dine out with.