GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,607 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Whew! Finally finished! I've known about this thread for years, but never opened it until now. Started reading, got 10 pages in and debated jumping ahead to the end, decided instead to read EVERY. SINGLE. POST. Took me two days to do so, since I read it at work and could only get a few pages at a time during breaks between meetings. Very glad I did, as I was able to live the drama of watching progression, the making and breaking of records, the preparation for the strongwoman competition, the very positive vibes from (almost) every poster (compared to the occasionally nasty vibes from some other threads in MFP). The only real irritating part was I couldn't post my two cents at random intervals into conversations which took place months/years ago. Well, now I get to make a few comments, which may seem random but are, in fact, directly associated with one or more moments throughout this thread...

I am solidly in the "up at crack of dawn to lift" camp. As in 4:30 alarm so I can be at the gym when it opens at 5. Part of this is I simply am a morning person (complete opposite of my wife). Part of this is so I can get my workout in before work, as I know after work won't be time between commute, cooking dinner for my family (I'm the chef), helping my wife and daughter with their homework (wife close to completing her college degree), and a little alone time with my wife before bed (watching TV, keep this thread PG-13, lol). Part of the reason is the smaller crowd at that time of day. But I've also kept a journal of every workout I've done for the last 14 years, and have actual proof that I simply perform better in the morning. If I hit the weight room in the afternoon, my weights drop about 5-10% from my morning numbers; if I wait until the evening, it's more like 25%.

Back when I was a powerlifter (I'll talk about me later), I remember ramming straight into a brick wall when trying to squat 315. I could get 310, but something about that third plate per side was just a mental block I could not overcome. So I tried something different...instead of pushing for a 1RM every leg day, I spent three months dropping the weight to 225, and just repping the blazes out of it. I'm talking sets of 10, 15, 20, 25. At the end of that three months I did a set of 100, where I could rest as long as I wanted between reps but couldn't re-rack the weight until I had finished all 100. (Longest 20 minutes of my life, believe you me.) Took a week off, and tried my 1RM again. Turns out, my max had in fact increased, and I was able to hit 315...for 10 reps. Turns out my max had leaped up to 365! Do I recommend doing a set of 100? Only if you're a glutton for punishment like I was, but the point is I gained over 50 pounds on my max without ever actually lifting close to my max, but instead through use of sub-maximal loads.

Speaking of mind-over-lifting, knew a guy at the gym who was equally convinced he could never bench 225. I knew how strong he was, figured he didn't need to wait the 3 months like I did on squat, so I offered to spot for him one workout, but only if he allowed me to do the weight loading during his warmup, he had to just remain lying down the entire time. He looked at me funny, but agreed. He looked at me even funnier when I started loading his bar, not with 25's or 45's, but a whole bunch of 5's and 10's, and not in any particular order, but a random smattering. He completely lost count trying to add it all up, and just accepted my promise he was lifting the right amount. I, of course, had kept very close watch over how much I loaded, and after one set where he banged out 3 very clean reps, I had him stop and do the math with me. This man, convinced he could never do a single rep at 225, had just done 3 reps at 245! He never asked me to spot him again, but I saw him a few years later benching 315, and I just smiled and turned away.

When I first began lifting, not only was I overweight, but I was also clearly the weakest person in the weight room. Not just weakest man, weakest PERSON, as the ladies were all outlifting me, even ones half my size. I was determined not to quit, but I simply knew that I didn't belong lifting. So, I fooled myself. Sounds bloody corny, but I wore sunglasses inside the weight room, cut the sleeves off my shirts into makeshift tanks, loaded my music player with angry heavy-metal music (I'm normally a country guy) and literally looked at this person in the mirror and said (not out loud), "Meet Joe Cool, he loves to lift, he belongs here." Did this for about 3 months, until some combination of losing weight, increasing weights lifted, and simple familiarity with the place allowed me to remove the shades and acknowledge that I was the one standing there, right where I belonged. (Kept the music and the shirts.)

In 14+ years of lifting, I have been injured three times seriously enough to be forced to take time away from lifting. Two of those times were during deadlifts, and both occurred during the initial pull off the floor. I love deadlifts, but at age 46 I have to admit I'm more prone to injury, and the same injury today will take longer to recover than a decade ago. In talking about the situation with a personal trainer buddy, he recommended trying rack pulls, since I could do 90% of the same ROM and avoid entirely the initial floor-break which has been the source of my problems. I have since fallen in love with them, and without that initial break I'm definitely able to load up the weight considerably heavier; the other day I did 5x5 with a weight 40 pounds heavier than the weight which injured my lower back for a single rep the last time I tried deadlifts.

I'm out of time now (time to enter "rush hour" for my hour+ commute home), and this has already grown long enough. But I wanted to say hi, kudos all around, loved the read, I've now added my little contribution to previous conversations, and tomorrow I will do my obligatory "about me" post. All words, no GIFs I'm afraid. My gym has a no-recording rule to respect privacy of others who may not want to be recorded.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through and share your thoughts! It's been nice to go back from time to time and would be so awesome to have others contribute more too. Still, we've had some good discussion over the time it's been up and some awesome gifs shared!

Look forward to hearing more from you!
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,396 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Here's a question members of this thread may have had to learn to deal with: tennis elbow. I don't know if it's because I switched from powerlifting (sets of 1-3) to traditional lifting (sets of 10-12), or my age, or an accumulation of time spent in the weight room, but last November my right elbow grew very painful, I lost 90% of my grip strength, something which developed over the course of about a month. Fortunately I'm ambidextrous so was able to keep doing everyday things like eating, but when it didn't go away after taking a week off from the gym, I did my research, and diagnosed myself as having developed tennis elbow.

All the online research said the recommended therapy was to start with significant time away from whatever was causing the issue, meaning time not lifting, possibly a lot of time. I ultimately took about 4 months off, filled my gym sessions with cardio (joy), lost a lot of weight and a fair bit of strength (though less than I'd feared). My elbow wasn't quite 100% pain-free, but it was close, and over the next few months the pain went away completely.

Fast forward to a couple weeks back, and my left elbow started showing the same symptoms. Stopping lifting for another 4 months did NOT appeal to me, so I made a few changes to my routine: 3 sets instead of 4 on hypertrophy days, underhand pulling when possible (since it somehow doesn't bother my elbow, while pronated does), cutting out heavy bis/tris work, keeping only the moderate-weight. I think it's working, as the pain has been slowly going down, but it's proving a long slog.

Have any of you fine folks had to deal with tennis elbow? What did you do to account for it? Did you take time off, change up your routine, or simply pop an aspirin and forge ahead?

I have had this about same time last year.
    It could have been a combination of my desk work, combined with lifting and my bowling (according to my physio)

I got myself a brace that puts some pressure on it, but will limit your ROM and a Thera-Band FlexBar to use each day to strenghten it.
    4bmjch4w64d9.png
    3q0f6z6592gf.png

After 2 weeks i already started to get improvement, and i was painfree after 5 weeks already
    u0d1mnb1bjmz.png
    e2uy4isxlabk.png
    fma673268mjg.png

On my gym workouts, i just did light work (about 30-40%)
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Intro time! My name is Mike, and I'm addicted to lifting. (Hi, Mike.) As a kid I was a scrawny, big glasses nerd capable of repelling all females from a dozen yards away. But I could run, and earned my letterman's jacket in both track (100m, 200m, 400m) and cross country (5km).

Fast forward 15 years, I just got kicked out of the military as part of their force-wide down-sizing. Had a wife, 4 kids, a mortgage, and no income, along with being overweight from having worked a desk job for years with little time to exercise. Between my arthritic knees (thanks, mom), extra 60 pounds around the middle (thanks, tater tots and soda), and living at high altitude where the air is thin, a return to running seemed a bad idea. A buddy tried to cheer me up from a growing depression, not through drinks on the town, but by taking me to his gym as a guest to try to find something I could do to get active and take my mind off my problems. Tried a variety of cardio, swimming, basketball, nothing clicked until we went to the weight room. I was highly skeptical, but from the very first set picking up a dumbbell and doing curls, there was no turning back. As I pointed out in my previous post, I didn't feel comfortable surrounded by all these in-shape peeps, and I couldn't afford to buy a home gym setup, but there was no way I was giving up this newfound love. It's just immensely cathartic to look at a cold block of iron and proclaim to the universe, "you will move because I will it to be so." Throwing around iron released so much pent-up angst and anger, my family immediately noted the difference in my attitude upon my return home, so with my wife's agreement I got a membership to the gym so I could keep lifting, even though we were worried about food and mortgage payments. But I got hired to a much better paying job less than a month later, and so life continued.

The nerd in me wanted to learn as much as possible, so I pored through every magazine article and website I could locate. Unfortunately, much of the information I gleaned was later proven wrong, or at least not applicable to an average lifter like me. But over time I learned what tidbits to keep and what to ignore. I also have tried a variety of lifting regimens:

Full body 3x per week
    One body part per day, 6 days per week
    Wendler 5-3-1
    Strong Lifts 5x5
    Madcow
    PPL (Push, Pull, Legs)
    At least a dozen routines straight from a magazine's pages

Most of the routines I tried lasted for 6 months or less, as I kept bouncing from one routine to another, trying to find the one which would help me lift ever heavier. My guess is there was a small part of my brain remembering being a wimp as a kid, so once I started actually having muscles and moving appreciable weight, it became an addiction to somehow snuff out that memory of the old me or something. Point is, while I built up to a decent level of strength (my Big 3 of bench, squat, and deadlift at one point combined to 1185 at a bodyweight of 193), it also left me a tad reckless and vulnerable to injury. Such as when I tried to bench a weight beyond my ability; I finished the lift (285 PR), but tore ligaments in both shoulders, narrowly avoiding surgery and having to swap lifting for rehab for the next 6 months. Or the pair of deadlifts which tweaked my lower back, one of them keeping me bed-ridden for two weeks and heavily modifying my lifting for the next six months to not reaggravate it.

Eventually I migrated into my current routine I built for myself, based off the PHUL (Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower) platform. It goes like this:

Monday - Upper Power
    Bench Press 5x5
    Cable Row 5x5
    DB Press <superset> DB Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 3x5

Tuesday - Lower Power
    Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 5x5
    Cable Crunch 4x10

Wednesday - Cardio (one hour elliptical, it's easy on my knees)

Thursday - Upper Hypertrophy
    Incline Bench Press 3x10
    Machine Fly 3x12
    BB Row 3x10
    Pulldown 3x10 (one set each of hands facing away, middle, and towards me)
    Face Pull 3x10
    Machine Lateral Raise 3x12
    Machine Curl <superset> Machine Pushdown 3x10
    Perloff Press 3x15sec

Friday - Lower Hypertrophy
    Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    BB RDL 3x10
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Seated Leg Curl 3x12
    Seated Calves Extend 3x12
    Farmer's Carry 3x40s

Saturday & Sunday - Off

This lets me keep lifting relatively heavy (but without pursuing the dangerous 1RM) while hitting all the peripheral muscles each week and keeping each session to an hour or less. Any given day, I can reduce the weight used on any lift by up to 10%, no questions asked: some days, you just don't have it going for you. (If this happens in consecutive weeks, I drop weight permanently and have to "earn" it back.) Other days you feel like a beast, but rather than lift heavier, I do more reps. When I can do a lift for required reps plus two for every set for two consecutive workouts, then and only then do I increase the weight on the third workout.

Feel free to give feedback about my workout plan. The nerd in me is always looking to learn more. (I may no longer look like the scrawny geek I used to be, but I can talk your ear off about Star Wars/Trek, LOTR and Marvel with the best of them, lol.)

Firstly... Star Trek, LOTR, and Marvel are A++++ in my book. I need to watch Star Wars front to back because I know I'd love it too, but it's been a long time since I've seen it. I HAVE watched every episode (at least once) of Star Trek TNG, Voyager, DS9, Picard, Star Trek (the remake one with Tripp). You are in good company apparently! haha

Secondly, I figured I'd mirror some of your experiences. I started off self taught... youtube videos, asking online friends for form checks and strangers too. Eventually I met someone local who heard I liked to lift and he hooked me up with some classes on the big three - deads, bench and squats -- and I fell in love. I did compete in one official match (and my numbers were so small, but huge for me lol) and one unofficial match.

I did a lot of stronglifts 5x5. I found that it was great until I started maxing out and then I started dreading the workouts because of the knowledge that I'd fail. I couldn't get over the mental block and often would push the lift over form because my ego didn't like the idea of failing. I'd get injured, stop lifting altogether, feel like I was weak, miss the lifting and repeat. Eventually a friend saw my struggle (again) as I neared my 5x5 squat max and she gave me a copy of the plan she did. It's not perfect for me, but it HAS been a game changer. It's the same basis for the one that @Minion_training_program uses and is based on a 7 week structure. Week one starts of with lower weight (say 75% of max) and higher reps (8+) with the last set (or two) always AMAP - push as far as you can go. You never fail, you just do your best and that changes every week. By week 7 you are working at 95% of max, doing 2+ reps and still AMAP. Week 8 is a deload and then test of 1rms (if you want). You then use those 1rms as the basis for the next 7 weeks.

I struggle with consistency - sometimes 2x a week, sometimes a week between lifts, sometimes I'm on fire and get 3-4 sessions in. I know without a doubt I would do so much better if I could get 4 sessions a week, but my life is just too complicated and I'm always flirting with burnout, so I rest a lot more than others. Still, I AM seeing progress (even if it is slow).

I have a trick I like to do, whereby I target my AMAP reps to work out to slightly higher (if possible) than my current 1rm. It helps me know if I am growing (even though it's theoretical).

For instance... Last night was squats. I'm on week 3, so it called for 4 sets of 6 reps at 75% of 1rm, with the last two sets amap. My current 1rm for squats is 230, so 75% is 172.5.
    I did sets 1 and 2 at 6x175. I then went onto https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator and entered 175 x 10 to see the estimated 1RM calc (which was 233). Since I WANT to get to 240, I targeted a goal of 12 reps for my third set... and got it. It was hard, but rewarding.

I play that game every week and it keeps me motivated. I also never (really) feel like a failure and feel free to back off the reps if I feel form slipping or just too weak. I haven't been injured since.

Anyhoo... that's a lot of words, but I figured I'd share. I appreciated what you shared and thought I'd let you know it wasn't too many words for me. I have no advice as to your program because I'm just winging it with my "borrowed" plan, but I feel that as long as you are lifting, are pushing for progressive overload (more weight or more reps), then you are winning.

Also.. I started doing yoga almost every morning for 15-25 mins a day and it's also been huge for muscle tightness, recovery and flexibility. I think that, too, has been integral for my lack of injury.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Here's last night's session...
    nb7p94nswbos.gif
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,472 Member
    Options
    Upper body power day this morning (a crowd favorite), and making good progress lately. As I said previous, I don't go up in weight until I can get all sets for target reps +2, which on power day means all five sets for seven reps. My bench today I got 6 reps first four sets, 7 reps on the final with gas in the tank, so I figure another week (or two) and I'll be able to increase my bench weight for the first time in a few months.

Meanwhile, I did smash the 5x7 threshold on BB OHP, so next week I'll tack on 10# and see where I'm at. If I can get at least 4 reps per set I'll keep it; if even one set gets only 3, I'll back off 5# (which will still be heavier than what I'm using now).

I tried the suggested "pistol grip" but it didn't last long, as my heavy working sets just couldn't keep a grip with only three fingers. I'll try again on Thursday's hypertrophy day, when the weights are moderately heavy. Wasn't an issue today with my elbow/grip anyway...I've determined my grip is just fine when my wrists are pointing up or in, it's only when facing down that there's an issue.

Which actually reminds me of another question I have: for anybody who does face pulls, how do you have your wrists aligned? Where is the knot at the end of the rope...by your thumb or by your pinkie? It feels much more comfortable with the knot by my thumb, but I think I get better rear delt activation with the knot by my pinkie.

Saw a video over the weekend which had me dying laughing, tears and everything. There's a professional strongman from some eastern European country who likes to spoof unsuspecting lifters. In this video, he dressed up in janitor coveralls to hide his figure, and wandered around with a mop pretending to clean, occasionally jumping into somebody's routine to show them off without seeming to do so. For example, two guys were doing bent-over BB rows with 315, seriously strong dudes. This guy walks up, very humbly excusing himself to clean, and picks up the bar...with one hand...while he "mops" under the bar, all while talking with a normal voice, no grunts or straining apparent. He does a few reps rowing this weight...mind you, 315 with a SINGLE HAND...before moving on, all casual as can be, leaving these two guys to pick up their jaws from the floor. Wish I could link it here...it was embedded in an email...but even days later I chuckle just thinking about it.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options
    Upper body power day this morning (a crowd favorite), and making good progress lately. As I said previous, I don't go up in weight until I can get all sets for target reps +2, which on power day means all five sets for seven reps. My bench today I got 6 reps first four sets, 7 reps on the final with gas in the tank, so I figure another week (or two) and I'll be able to increase my bench weight for the first time in a few months.

Meanwhile, I did smash the 5x7 threshold on BB OHP, so next week I'll tack on 10# and see where I'm at. If I can get at least 4 reps per set I'll keep it; if even one set gets only 3, I'll back off 5# (which will still be heavier than what I'm using now).

I tried the suggested "pistol grip" but it didn't last long, as my heavy working sets just couldn't keep a grip with only three fingers. I'll try again on Thursday's hypertrophy day, when the weights are moderately heavy. Wasn't an issue today with my elbow/grip anyway...I've determined my grip is just fine when my wrists are pointing up or in, it's only when facing down that there's an issue.

Which actually reminds me of another question I have: for anybody who does face pulls, how do you have your wrists aligned? Where is the knot at the end of the rope...by your thumb or by your pinkie? It feels much more comfortable with the knot by my thumb, but I think I get better rear delt activation with the knot by my pinkie.

Saw a video over the weekend which had me dying laughing, tears and everything. There's a professional strongman from some eastern European country who likes to spoof unsuspecting lifters. In this video, he dressed up in janitor coveralls to hide his figure, and wandered around with a mop pretending to clean, occasionally jumping into somebody's routine to show them off without seeming to do so. For example, two guys were doing bent-over BB rows with 315, seriously strong dudes. This guy walks up, very humbly excusing himself to clean, and picks up the bar...with one hand...while he "mops" under the bar, all while talking with a normal voice, no grunts or straining apparent. He does a few reps rowing this weight...mind you, 315 with a SINGLE HAND...before moving on, all casual as can be, leaving these two guys to pick up their jaws from the floor. Wish I could link it here...it was embedded in an email...but even days later I chuckle just thinking about it.

Of all the splits if done I prefer PHUL as well followed by UL POWER + PPL 5 day split - I’m finding it hard to fjnd the same consistency with my home gym as when I went to a public gym which i didn’t see coming - I don’t have all the equipment I really want so I have to modify some things - at least that’s the excuse I’ve come up with - thinking of joining another public gym around the new year - well done my friend
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

It's ANATOLY... he's the best! haha he has a tonne of these vids :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP8JDg-HloQ

Options

It's ANATOLY... he's the best! haha he has a tonne of these vids :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP8JDg-HloQ

Yeah those vids are awesome

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,711 Member
    Options
    Re: tennis elbow….. I am flabbergasted.

I did an aerial silks class this weekend that basically involved hanging or swinging either by hands, or upside down by knees or with feet up in the air with hands hanging down.

Back, elbow and shoulder pain significantly improved.

I guess it was simply gravity and letting arms and shoulders and neck swing free and loose.

Makes sense. A favorite yoga instructor showed us that if you stand on a block or stair and swing knee and then hip loosely, it helps with pain.

I’m adding aerial silks into my regular rotation for that reason alone. Turns out there’s classes all over the darn place. Who knew?

• nossmf
    Options
    Nice leg drive!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Nice leg drive!

Thank you!! :smiley:
  • nossmf
    Options
    Yesterday was heavy bench day, and I finally banged out all sets +2 reps, meaning I got 5x7 at 225. Next week I up it to 235, will try to get at least 5x4.

Theoretically, based on being able to get 11 reps at 225 (last time I tested), calculators suggest I should be able to do 305 for a single rep, which would set a new lifetime PR. But I remember vividly how I got injured when I set that 285 lifetime PR several years ago, because I rushed it and didn't let my joints get stronger to keep pace with my muscles. I never intend to do that again, so this time I'm taking my sweet time increasing the weights. I still have a dream of benching 315 once, with that magical third plate per side, but I reckon I won't even try until I can do 5x5 at 275, which is going to take a while to reach. Maybe I'll set a goal of getting there by the time I hit age 50 in three years.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,711 Member
    Options
    My latest achievement is a broken toe.

But I did it on a flying trapeze. How many people get to say that, and not be making it up?!

I also got 5+ spins of my move ring yesterday, piddly *kitten* toe break not withstanding.

It’s not a lift, and my lifts aren’t worth GIF’ing anyway, no matter how happy or not I am with them, but it’s mine own achievement. 👍🏻
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,996 Member
    Options
    k37jvzknvvca.gif
    hoiy4i0mxnd6.png

Completed my first century ride on Sunday

This is awesome
    Options
    Yesterday was heavy bench day, and I finally banged out all sets +2 reps, meaning I got 5x7 at 225. Next week I up it to 235, will try to get at least 5x4.

Theoretically, based on being able to get 11 reps at 225 (last time I tested), calculators suggest I should be able to do 305 for a single rep, which would set a new lifetime PR. But I remember vividly how I got injured when I set that 285 lifetime PR several years ago, because I rushed it and didn't let my joints get stronger to keep pace with my muscles. I never intend to do that again, so this time I'm taking my sweet time increasing the weights. I still have a dream of benching 315 once, with that magical third plate per side, but I reckon I won't even try until I can do 5x5 at 275, which is going to take a while to reach. Maybe I'll set a goal of getting there by the time I hit age 50 in three years.

I will be rooting for you to get that third plate per side
    I have a feeling it won't take you 3 years
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,043 Member
    Options
    k37jvzknvvca.gif
    hoiy4i0mxnd6.png

Completed my first century ride on Sunday

Nice work my dude
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    My latest achievement is a broken toe.

But I did it on a flying trapeze. How many people get to say that, and not be making it up?!

I also got 5+ spins of my move ring yesterday, piddly *kitten* toe break not withstanding.

It’s not a lift, and my lifts aren’t worth GIF’ing anyway, no matter how happy or not I am with them, but it’s mine own achievement. 👍🏻

Your poor toe!!! I broke my baby toe once and I can still fee the pain when I think of it! But man... what a badass way to do it! HAHA

As for your "lifts aren't worth GIF'ing anyway".... I SAY POPPYCOCK! All lifts are worth GIFing. :) So are your yoga feats and anything else you are proud of. I say share it. Let us celebrate with you!

Hope the toe feels better!
  • nossmf
    Options
    Your story beats my broken toe story. I was barefoot in my house, helping my infant son learn to walk, him holding onto my hands as he hobbled forward. At one point I was swinging my leg forward, just as my son unexpectedly stepped to the side, his foot planting right in the path of my leg. I tried adjusting my swing to miss him, almost succeeded, but my little toe slammed into the back of his heel with a resounding "crack." My wife came running into the room to find her infant son standing, staring down at her husband rolling on the ground.

Military was nothing but sympathetic...they gave me some extra strength ibuprofen, signed a waiver excusing me from running in formation for two weeks, and sent me back to work same day.

Almost two decades later, that toe remains bent almost double.