WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 950 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I mentioned "Variety" in my Highlights List ...
    bc7a8hkchaj4.png

Stores: There may be roughly the same number of stores, but there was different stuff!! That was fun. :)

TV: I couldn't tell if there was freeview because the place we stayed had cable (or whatever it is). Nevertheless, it was nice to watch some different shows.

Music: If I'm not watching TV in the evening, I've got music on, and I've got a ton of music. However, that music video channel brought back a lot of memories. Music I hadn't heard in years. Same with the radio station in the car. We don't have a lot of radio stations here, and most are modern pop. In Canada, I found a station with older music ... again memories!

One area there was less variety was in the world of department stores. There was Walmart. And when I had a browse through the clothing section, there wasn't much selection. I can do much better here. But that puzzled me because I recall more variety in previous years. Does everyone shop online now?

But a couple questions:
    - what is with all the medication ads on TV???? They're hilarious! "If you're suffering from headaches, see if HeadacheEX is right for you". And then the low fast-talking voice comes on, "HeadacheEX isn't right for everyone and may cause blinding migraines, tension headaches, cluster headaches, sore neck and jaw. Talk to your doctor." :lol:

- what is with all the scent ads? Apparently clothes, furniture, carpets, houses, and everything smell bad and need products sprayed everywhere to make them smell better. :tongue: I almost started feeling self-conscious! :tongue:

Just a couple things that stood out to me. :smiley:

Machka in Oz

Shopping-Yes, people buy online now. It's a conundrum. If you want to shop at a store, they don't carry your size or the products they have are styles that fit the masses. I.e., boxy t-shirt types. I tried buying a nice dress at a mall a few years back and all the dresses were designed as if they were made of grain bags...boxy with no account for curves or flattering lines. So, we buy online.

Stores say they don't stock it because we buy online. We say we buy online because they don't stock it.

Decision fatigue is real. I get it at Bath and Body Works (store full of scented things) and Victoria's Secret.

Probably was not a freeview in the hotel. They show those types of programs on cable by default. Hotels often have a few channels of variety if they offer cabl.

Meds-Several years ago in the U.S. the government started allowing pharma to advertise directly to the public, with the caveat they crammed all the side effects into the ads. The lists are long, hence the quick-talking disclosures at the end.

By the way-This works. We were watching the World Series and an ad came on for a new medication that is non-hormonal that addresses symptoms of menopause; namely hot flashes. I took note.

Noticing these differences is part of the fun of travel! I even love watching TV in languages I don't understand. In Germany, I like watching sitcoms I know and listening to the different voices of the actors dubbing them. Jerry Seinfeld sounds far different in German. :wink:

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    My only odd food craving, I think, is vienna sausage. Occasionally, I just want that taste and texture. Well, that and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. My current and final husband, the cook, utterly refuses to buy or cook either one... :neutral::D

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

You're probably better off that Corey won't cook those things. I used to love Vienna Sausages, but now the sound they make when you take them out of the can due to the goo they are packed in makes me cringe.

Tina in CA

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,486 Member
    Options
    Carol - The picture of the lake is lovely... such a peaceful scene. Hopefully filled with fond memories for your family.

Rebecca - Ditto from me on the scents.

Went to town yesterday to pick up some leather work gloves for Corey at Sam's Club, and stopped in at Goodwill. Picked up four frames and a small shadow box for some pieces I'm working on, including that clock. Decided not to try framing it in clay, as I found the frame that had the mat and the size I wanted for the clockface for $5. Below is the piece the clockface was originally installed in before it fell off the wall, and I may yet use that for something else.

6eojxsmeih9i.png

That old frame has character definitely! You could always put the months on the top, and families names, then the month you're in in the round part with a place to put the names. Hooks?
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,486 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    Heather--Glad your visit is going well. I am finding I get real upset and inpatient and I am working on it. Keep telling myself to breathe and enjoy the minute. Love the group picture. How special to have since long freindship. I dislike phones at the table and broke DH of it by getting up and moving to another table. Said if he was going to mess with the phone I was going to just eat by myself. I do that with my kids also. So far only have to do it once and they will not do it again.
    Tracey--I understand the recluse part. When my son was a couple years old I did not go out of my house for almost 2 years. Spent my time cleaning over and over. I find again Iam having to push myself to go anywhere. DH is a big help. I hope your DD is getting the support she needs. Pray your DH is okay.
    Kylia--I am not sure what is the cause, but I have been having times when my heart feels funny and my heart rate will be 180-193. It doesn't happen often, but at times when I am trying to go to sleep or sitting watching TV. I keep thinking I should call the heart doctor, but it doesn't happen regular enough to track if I was to wear a monitor. My luck it would not do it until I take it off. You take care also.
    Rebecca-- I agree about the scents. How did we ever live without them before. I feel just a waste of money.
    Lanette-- <3
    Another windy and cold day here. Wish it would rain or something.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3

Lol yep. I mean when did clean clothes have to have a scent anyways? The only scent I wish I had on my clothes is the scent of sunshine, and fresh air.🤗💖🌞
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    I buy unscented everything. Scents are chemicals and really bad for you. Even scented candles . Carcinogenic.
    Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    My only odd food craving, I think, is vienna sausage. Occasionally, I just want that taste and texture. Well, that and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. My current and final husband, the cook, utterly refuses to buy or cook either one... :neutral::D

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

You're probably better off that Corey won't cook those things. I used to love Vienna Sausages, but now the sound they make when you take them out of the can due to the goo they are packed in makes me cringe.

Tina in CA

My son used to like them- I always rinsed them off before giving them to him. Mac and Cheese- his favorite that he makes for himself at least once a week but cooks it the way I taught him- add real cheese and some garlic powder to it

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,889 Member
    Options
    ;)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 2min 29sec, 60elev, 3.0ap, 78ahr, 94mhr, 6.23mi= 580c
    Strava app = 763c
    Walk home to gym- 11.41min, .54mi= 54c
    Strava app = 66c
    Treadmill jog- 19.20min, 113ahr, 195mhr, mile 1 @ 6.1sp, next 1/2mi @ 6.2sp, next .45mi @ 6.5sp, last .10mi @ 7.0sp, 9.40 min mi, 2mi= 211c
    Walk gym to store then home- 16.30min, .74mi= 77c
    Strava app= 91c

Total cal 922
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I buy unscented everything. Scents are chemicals and really bad for you. Even scented candles . Carcinogenic.
    Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Some are still made with lead wicks too, even though it is illegal in the US. Some imported ones have them.

I buy unscented everything too.
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

[/quote]My son used to like them- I always rinsed them off before giving them to him. Mac and Cheese- his favorite that he makes for himself at least once a week but cooks it the way I taught him- add real cheese and some garlic powder to it

[/quote]
    I know what I'm making tonight--mac and cheese and garlic, and chickpeas in there hits the spot too. Thanks for the idea!
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    My son used to like them- I always rinsed them off before giving them to him. Mac and Cheese- his favorite that he makes for himself at least once a week but cooks it the way I taught him- add real cheese and some garlic powder to it

[/quote]
    I know what I'm making tonight--mac and cheese and garlic, and chickpeas in there hits the spot too. Thanks for the idea!
    [/quote]

You are welcome!!
    Sometimes my son adds a can of tuna for a "tuna casserole" but usually just mac and cheese.
    Son doesn't cook a lot of things but is doing more especially when his girlfriend comes over and they cook together. Their favorite is mabo tofu. They are 25yrs old and both still live at home. Too expensive to move out even with them both working full time

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Regarding the scents -- there was one Febreze ad that had people spraying this stuff on everything in the house, and around ... and I kept thinking: "Why don't they just open a window?"

When we came back to our place after a month away, it smelled a little bit dusty like a place that hasn't had air movement in a month, so the first thing I did was to open a window. Outside smells great because we've got all sorts of flowers in bloom out there, so I let some of that into the house. :)

Our yard is kind of an extension of our living area and we often have the doors and windows open so that we go in and out like how we would go to another room.

And yes, with laundry, I get detergent for sensitive skin which doesn't have much of a scent, then hang dry everything. I did a load yesterday and hung it outside.

I use a eucalyptus detergent if something has a strong smell I don't like or if it has been in a bin downstairs a while.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited November 2023
    Options

I LOVE Mac and Cheese.

The best I've had was in Scotland. I was living on Mac and Cheese and Millionaire Bars for a while. So delicious ... but not good for the weight.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    I had a chat with one of DH's best friends on Sunday. Hadn't heard from him in a few years, he knew DH was in failing health. So he asked how DH was and I told him the condensed story of DH's final months and passing. He was sorry to hear of course.

After the conversation ended, things seemed to shift a little for me. I can't explain it. Somehow there was a sort of closure I hadn't achieved yet. I realize I'm looking at the future with fresh eyes today if that makes any sense.

Enough prattle, lol. Make it a good day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I'm glad that was helpful for you. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I mentioned "Variety" in my Highlights List ...
    bc7a8hkchaj4.png

Stores: There may be roughly the same number of stores, but there was different stuff!! That was fun. :)

TV: I couldn't tell if there was freeview because the place we stayed had cable (or whatever it is). Nevertheless, it was nice to watch some different shows.

Music: If I'm not watching TV in the evening, I've got music on, and I've got a ton of music. However, that music video channel brought back a lot of memories. Music I hadn't heard in years. Same with the radio station in the car. We don't have a lot of radio stations here, and most are modern pop. In Canada, I found a station with older music ... again memories!

One area there was less variety was in the world of department stores. There was Walmart. And when I had a browse through the clothing section, there wasn't much selection. I can do much better here. But that puzzled me because I recall more variety in previous years. Does everyone shop online now?

But a couple questions:
    - what is with all the medication ads on TV???? They're hilarious! "If you're suffering from headaches, see if HeadacheEX is right for you". And then the low fast-talking voice comes on, "HeadacheEX isn't right for everyone and may cause blinding migraines, tension headaches, cluster headaches, sore neck and jaw. Talk to your doctor." :lol:

- what is with all the scent ads? Apparently clothes, furniture, carpets, houses, and everything smell bad and need products sprayed everywhere to make them smell better. :tongue: I almost started feeling self-conscious! :tongue:

Just a couple things that stood out to me. :smiley:

Machka in Oz

Shopping-Yes, people buy online now. It's a conundrum. If you want to shop at a store, they don't carry your size or the products they have are styles that fit the masses. I.e., boxy t-shirt types. I tried buying a nice dress at a mall a few years back and all the dresses were designed as if they were made of grain bags...boxy with no account for curves or flattering lines. So, we buy online.

Stores say they don't stock it because we buy online. We say we buy online because they don't stock it.

Decision fatigue is real. I get it at Bath and Body Works (store full of scented things) and Victoria's Secret.

Probably was not a freeview in the hotel. They show those types of programs on cable by default. Hotels often have a few channels of variety if they offer cabl.

Meds-Several years ago in the U.S. the government started allowing pharma to advertise directly to the public, with the caveat they crammed all the side effects into the ads. The lists are long, hence the quick-talking disclosures at the end.

By the way-This works. We were watching the World Series and an ad came on for a new medication that is non-hormonal that addresses symptoms of menopause; namely hot flashes. I took note.

Noticing these differences is part of the fun of travel! I even love watching TV in languages I don't understand. In Germany, I like watching sitcoms I know and listening to the different voices of the actors dubbing them. Jerry Seinfeld sounds far different in German. :wink:

Tina in CA

We rented a 2-bedroom apartment through Airbnb, but they did have a cable package. So I could see that there could be hundreds of channels available, but I could only access some of them.

I enjoy noting the differences between places too. :) I didn't think I'd notice much of a difference going to Canada, and in some areas, there wasn't ... but 6 years is a long time, and some things stood out to me a lot more than they might have done if I had continued to go to Canada once a year.

Going to New Zealand, on the other hand, was like going to a softer, kinder Australia ... with a different accent. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I am singing my happy song and doing my happy dance for you! What a wonderful trip! So happy you and your DH were able to take it and brava to you for making such wonderful travel arrangements! So well thought out! Your airbnb hosts sound like a dream! For me, that would be the "weak link" in the arrangements. the possibility of poor airbnb accomodations. So happy everything worked out, you had time for everything AND relaxing, and made the journey there and back again!
    Hugs to all. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

The Airbnb was a weak link. I had enquired about a few places via Airbnb and another source. One looked really nice on the site, with a good price, but when I enquired about it, the person raised the price and even when I did a screen shot of what was on the site, he would not back down. There was another I was considering, but I just didn't have a good feeling about it. So I was apprehensive about what we would get.

But there were other weak links, like the rental vehicle and the Air NZ skycouch option.

I had a lot of anxiety in the days leading up to departure!!