Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,651 Member
    Options
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,517 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Rebecca - When someone (especially DH) tries to tell me my reaction/opinion is wrong, I just lean forward and say it very loudly again. He doesn't like it, but it shuts him up.
    'I happen to like/feel ......' ....very loudly and determinedly. Practice it in the mirror. You are you. Just up the volume until they get the message.
    Then you can say, 'That is my opinion. Can we change the subject '.
    People rarely try to tell me how to live my life, but John occasionally disagrees with me in a way that triggers me. So I just speak much louder. The huff he gets into is his problem. He always gets over it.
    Nobody tells me how to live my life. Occasionally P, my difficult friend tries to explain something to me, ;) but I use the same technique. Leaning forward is good. I can see my other friends, G and B, do a slight smile and wince a bit. P gets over it too. :p

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I opt for a quiet approach.

I don't raise my voice unless someone is talking over me ... usually someone in customer service who is on the other end of the phone. Or unless I am angry.

People don't usually tell me that my reaction/opinion is wrong. That very rarely happens.

But on the rare occasion when it does happen, I do what a friend of mine taught me many years ago.

I nod, look like I'm paying attention and taking it in, and enthusiastically say, "I hear you."

For me (and my friend), "I hear you" means, I acknowledge your opinion and acknowledge the fact that you want to be heard. But I will disregard everything you've just said and will forget about it all within the next 5 minutes.

I've expanded on "I hear you" over the years.

Sometimes I enthusiastically say, "Now there's an idea!" ... an idea I am going to disregard immediately.

Or "Well now, that's a thought" ... not a brilliant thought, and not a thought I'm going to give another thought about, but it is indeed a thought.

Or "That's something to think about" ... when I'm laughing about it with someone else who understands me better.

I think only once or twice I've broken out the "you do you and I'll do me".

People often just want to be acknowledged for their so-called bright and possibly well-meaning ideas. My method accomplishes that. I acknowledge. Then I move on. Minutes later, I couldn't tell you what their idea was because I wasn't really listening to begin with and it didn't matter to me.

Machka in Oz

Those are all brilliant responses! Next summer could indeed be quite the positive human experiment!💖🤗👍🏼
    Thanks for your input!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

.walk w/family- 1hr 58min 7sec, 105elev, 3.08ap, 77ahr, 95mhr, 6.14mi= 560c
    Strava app = 752c *lucy went in the buggy*
    Walk home to gym- 11.06min, .53mi= 59c
    Strava app = 65c
    Rowing machine- 30min, 44aw, 102ahr, 135mhr, 4500meters/2.8mi= 232c
    Walk gym to stores then home- 18.06min, 3.40ap, 1.06mi= 200c
    Strava app = 130c

Total cal 1051

• pipcd34
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,319 Member
    Options
    Tracey - You did a great job with Rodger. I'm sure he will feel lightened by it. What would men do without us?! :)

Looking forward to seeing Edie this afternoon. :D<3

It's turning cold at last. Blue sky though. Beautiful morning light.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Gratitudes:
    Friday: Joe serviced the hot tub and had it ready for me.
    Thursday’s Was it Lanette, Lisa or whoever recommended Robert Maurer’s “One Small Step Can Change Your Life” ? Many thanks! Just started reading on Library2Go Oregon’s OverDrive and can see how it will help me adapt and adjust my routine.
    Day two of rest, no walking, no dancing, only “spa PT” and compression socks. Is it helping? Maybe. Am I afraid I’ll fall back into my lazy, sedentary ways? You betcha.
    Belated welcome @VeebsKale in Ontario ! And convery gratulations for taking off those pounds and building your strength. Well done!
    KJ belated best birthday wishes!
    Rori :love: the cute goobers ;)
    Rebecca ditto what others have said. Your pics show you are lovely, without makeup or fancy hair, just as you are. :heart:
    Welcome @ChrisBow1963 from South Wales! That’s a great work benefit.
    Rosemarie so glad to hear of your great time at the beach with son and DDIL. Decorating the Christmas tree often brings me to tears, bittersweet memories, loss and love. ((hugs))
    Ginny yours to Rebecca,”… she just doesn't speak your love language! Cherish the good parts. “ well said.
    Allie :love: the pics of Miles and his dog.
    Lisa ‘…Egg is walking right through the other walls…” Sounds like a Heinlein title ;)
    Tracey :love: the snowman/Christmas tree tic tac toe sets. You are so very very creative! So glad Rodger opened up a little and gave you the opportunity to listen. ((hugs)) to you both.
    Kylia :love: the family pics. Your eldest’s apple fell not far from your lovely tree ;)
    Gina con VERY gratulations on both the moderate eating and taking off two more pounds. Well done!

11/24: Move: one set “spa PT” w/x&a. Steps:3633
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-9 CI<CO net=181 vits=0.5
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, one load laundry, hymns. Wt:
    11/23: Move: Zero sets PT. Steps:2600
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-6

CI<CO net=88 vits=0
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, reconcile savings, pay Penney card, , ptT, ptS, Thanksgiving feast with T, Wt:131.8
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    November: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings, start meditating. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.