I have to succeed for my dog

Options
AIP4ever
AIP4ever Posts: 58 Member
edited December 2023 in Introduce Yourself
I have been putting it off for years.

I was diagnosed with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2014) and back then I wanted to lose weight and actually did. An incurable disease, an autoimmune disorder. It’s a special nightmare 'normal' people can't understand.

I have been on a daily dose of Prednisone for eight years besides other meds that can also cause weight gain. I have gained 100 pounds, but it's not just the meds fault. I have stopped moving. If it hurts, you just don't want to move.

I was always a 'foodie', loved to eat, and could eat myself into a frenzy. In the last years, it got worse.

2015 I weighed 215 pounds and I just saw 345 lbs on my scale. I go up and down, but never under 200. It's like I have given up.

This is my last and final try to get healthier. I will live by the AIP lifestyle for 180 days. AIP=Autoimmune Protocol = a very disciplined diet to calm down the inflammation in my body. Later on I can add some food back, slowly and step by step, to eliminate everything that causes more inflammation.

The fact is: My body attacks me. The fact is: I am tired of it.

So I am here because I NEED TO try this one more time. Millions have done it before me and they have succeeded. I wish to be one of them. If not, I will give up and declare defeat and I will order a hover-round and accept disability and more meds.

I want to do this, and it would be easier with friends by my side.

We got a puppy a year ago; the dog found us, and he was left abandoned. He is happy but he would be happier if I could walk him every day. While he loves the backyard and his 'sister', he needs more. I am doing this for my health and our dogs.

I am fun and normally a very optimistic person. I have researched my disease and its relationship with food for years. For me, any weight loss will be a side effect. It’s all about health now! Still, I would like to see the 215 on the scale, perhaps by next Christmas.

It's now or never! I am not waiting for the Holidays to pass. There will always be special days that will give me just another excuse to fall off the wagon -and in my case, falling off the wagon is painful.

I bought a desk peddler which I will try to use every day and I am planning on starting chair yoga in a couple of weeks, when the pain might be less of an issue.

Anyhow! Wish me luck as I wish you all luck and determination and, of course, a Happy Holiday Season.

Replies

• Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,934 MFP Staff
    Options
    You've got this, for you and your dogs!!
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Losing weight will actually help with your RA, as there will be less pressure on your joints. I know the struggle, I have it and a few other auto-immune diseases as well. The medication doesn't cause weight gain itself (aside from the some steroid fluid) but the prednisone can make you hungry enough to eat for a small country, and the pain makes it difficult to exercise, and the mental drain makes it hard to stay focussed on trying to help yourself.

But don't do this: If not, I will give up and declare defeat and I will order a hover-round and accept disability and more meds. If you have a setback (and you probably will), dust yourself off and start over. Never declare a "last attempt".

I get it. It adds extra challenges. And while you will never be "well", you can make yourself yourself less unwell. It won't be easy. Be kind to yourself, accept you will have ups and downs, and set backs. And enjoy your dog. Dogs are the best medicine (IMO)
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude, and I believe you can succeed.
  • tremayne230716
    tremayne230716 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You Got This!!!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    We talked about weight loss and dog walking on the last page of this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10183999/weight-loss-after-menopause/p5
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    @kshama2001 I didn't want to hijack the thread, but it hasn't had much action. Yes!! Siberian Husky puppies are a crazy amount of work. We were clueless, decided to adopt from a neighbor fostering her who was quite anxious to find her a home. We took one look at her (now named Zinnia, like the flower, because she is bright & beautiful) and said, "Yes! We'll take her!"

Nevermind that we've never owned a dog. Knew nothing about the breed (other than: gorgeous!). We had a couple days to prepare, and gave ourselves a crash course in huskies. Priority #1 is exercise. The first month was brutal, we didn't know what hit us. Now we are almost 4 months into owning Zinnia and so in love it's ridiculous. And boy! Do we exercise! My husband is a cyclist and is teaching her to run alongside the bike over trails (with a harness.) We walk multiple times a day, sometimes running to keep up.

Did we see this coming at the age of 60?? Why no, we did not. But it's good to switch things up in life, and we truly can't imagine life without her now. She's 8 months old and began puppy kindergarten yesterday. The adventure continues! I've lost so much weight none of my pants fit... sometimes I wonder if this is all some kind of happy fever dream, lol

Start slow, and in a shorter time than you think, you'll be taking long walks :smiley:
  • AIP4ever
    Options
    @kshama2001 you get it that have RA? It's not just the weight that holds me back, it's the fact that my joints especially the small joints on my feet and hands, get attacked by an autoimmune disease that leaves many crippled. Or perhaps you are only interested in your own story and highjacking other posts?

• AIP4ever
    Options
    Thank you everybody. It's day 4 and so far so good. I am still in the beginner phase of AIP, lot to learn. I feel hungry, but stick to it. The pain is still the same, but it seems I am moving easier. Also, the scale shows 5 pounds less, which is nice.

Thank you for the encouragement and the kind words. Be healthy!
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    AIP4ever wrote: »
    @kshama2001 you get it that have RA? It's not just the weight that holds me back, it's the fact that my joints especially the small joints on my feet and hands, get attacked by an autoimmune disease that leaves many crippled. Or perhaps you are only interested in your own story and highjacking other posts?

As someone who has dealt with multiple autoimmune diseases, I feel like the advice kshama gave... start slow and work your way up, is excellent advice. I understand it's difficult, but even if you start by just walking a few steps down the driveway, it may move you in the right direction towards your goal of walking you dog. Mild, "easy" movement is one of the best things we can do for our bodies outside of being conscious of what we eat (which you're clearly working at! Good for you!)
  • aspenz2522
    aspenz2522 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Set small achievable goals for yourself.
    You got this!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

That was actually someone else's post that I quoted because it was dog-related and I found it very inspirational, and was hoping others would as well.

Don't get me started on my own joint issues or we'll be here all day :lol:

Here, maybe this story of the disabled veteran who was told for 15 years he would never walk unassisted again will hit the spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXOo8D9Qsc

• Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

deleted. Don't want a warning from admin
  • AIP4ever
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That was actually someone else's post that I quoted because it was dog-related and I found it very inspirational, and was hoping others would as well.

Don't get me started on my own joint issues or we'll be here all day :lol:

Here, maybe this story of the disabled veteran who was told for 15 years he would never walk unassisted again will hit the spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIXOo8D9Qsc

I saw this, and it's very inspirational. For me, it's all about the pain level and I have Vertigo, which messes with my balance so I need to get it all under control. The balance, the pain, and the ability to move -again.
    I have talked to a personal trainer, and thought a professional might be helpful and he helped a lot. First build up endurance, lose a little bit of weight, perhaps 50 pounds, continue chair yoga and start using very light weights to build up strength, IF the pain and the stiffness of my joints allow it.
    It's going to be a long lasting journey -perhaps forever.
  • AIP4ever
    Options

deleted. Don't want a warning from admin

Oh, the drama!
  • AIP4ever
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

As someone who has dealt with multiple autoimmune diseases, I feel like the advice kshama gave... start slow and work your way up, is excellent advice. I understand it's difficult, but even if you start by just walking a few steps down the driveway, it may move you in the right direction towards your goal of walking you dog. Mild, "easy" movement is one of the best things we can do for our bodies outside of being conscious of what we eat (which you're clearly working at! Good for you!)

you have dealt with multiple autoimmune diseases? Wow, that's past tense. Did you cure them all? That's wonderful considering there are no cures.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

you have dealt with multiple autoimmune diseases? Wow, that's past tense. Did you cure them all? That's wonderful considering there are no cures.

Sigh. You're soooo amusing. *Has* means began in the past and continue on into the present. Did I say I cured them? No. Don't put words in my mouth.