60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Just read this, thought I'd post for other's comments. I"m personally planning to enjoy the things I like, but in moderation and portion size. Lucky me, I will be at my daughter's house and have to fly back home, so no leftovers to tempt me.
    Thanksgiving "food" for thought:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/doctors-reveal-damage-thanksgiving-food_l_653aba36e4b01b411813a2d9

Wishing everyone an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday. :)

• SbetaK
    Options
    Wow, this thread must be on everyone's back burner with all the holiday happenings going on. How did everyone do over Thanksgiving? I gained 5 pounds over the few days, but all gone again, was mostly water weight from consuming more salty items than usual. (Mmmmmm stuffing n gravy) And I did a 5K Turkey trot, surely helped. I got to leave all the leftover cheesecake and pies because I had to fly home, so lucky there, haha. All the wonderful festivities with delicious food this time of year is a struggle for all of us, I hope those who enjoyed themselves just remember: don't kick yourselves in the behind for your indulgences, just go right back to what has been working for you when you can!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    Wow, this thread must be on everyone's back burner with all the holiday happenings going on. How did everyone do over Thanksgiving? I gained 5 pounds over the few days, but all gone again, was mostly water weight from consuming more salty items than usual. (Mmmmmm stuffing n gravy) And I did a 5K Turkey trot, surely helped. I got to leave all the leftover cheesecake and pies because I had to fly home, so lucky there, haha. All the wonderful festivities with delicious food this time of year is a struggle for all of us, I hope those who enjoyed themselves just remember: don't kick yourselves in the behind for your indulgences, just go right back to what has been working for you when you can!

My Thanksgiving evaporated, in a sad way.

I'd planned to go have Thanksgiving dinner with my SIL, BIL, and their kids for the first holiday together since the pandemic started. They're wonderful people who kindly "kept me" after my husband, their brother, died in 1998, because they know I don't have immediate family of my own. (We live in different parts of the state, and travel plus mixing geographic microbes seemed like a bad plan, since they're over 80 with health compromises, I have early stage COPD, and some of the folks they invite to join in were not IMO suitably cautious.)

Unfortunately, my SIL got rushed to the hospital a couple of days before the holiday with a serious condition, and was hospitalized and struggling through the weekend. She's home now, and seems to be improving, thankfully.

The result though, was that I spent another holiday home alone. That isn't doom-y or upsetting for me, other than concern about her of course. But it did mean - since I was not inspired to cook something special - that I treated it like just another day, eating and exercise-wise.

This time of year, I usually attempt the Concept 2 Holiday Challenge, which is 200k on their rowing machine, or 400k on their stationary bike, or a combination, between US Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. I normally schedule it as 6 days, in recent years alternating row and bike. It's about 40-45 minutes of moderate intensity on either machine, manageable but challenging (for a flake like me) to keep up the consistency. So far, I'm at 49k and change of the 200k, split between the two machines. About to hop on the rowing machine for today's increment, in fact.

How is everyone else doing, Thanksgiving celebrants or others?
  • SbetaK
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your SIL, glad she is home where healing might be more peaceful. I've spent many a Thankgiving alone (working so others can have off) and as long as you keep busy, or have something to focus on it works out ok.Easier to stick to your routines. Your exercise plans sound great! This time of year I get really busy and have to consciously make time to exercise. But it feels so good afterwards and makes me glad I took the time to do something. Got our first snow yesterday, guess winter is here. I live on an island so it gets wet and slushy with our marine environment. it's still so pretty when it first comes.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to say hi to everyone. Busy with holiday stuff, so eating and exercise are a bit of catch as catch can. Got a 6 mile walk in yesterday. We’re supposed to be having some nice weather into the weekend. Trying to maintain mindful eating and minimize the holiday poundage. A few folks on my feed are doing push-up and planks challenge. Going to do that after New Years. Y’all be good!
  • bethe
    bethe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Posting after a long time away. Anyway, my main source of exercise right now is walking. I got an opportunity to try a free 12 mile mission with Conquerer Challenges, so started with that today. Haven't done the CC before because each mission has an entry fee, but what a great concept! Maybe it will keep me motivated and perhaps I'll purchase future missions. The missions track your progress on a map, includes way-station "postcards", and at the end you get an actual medal. And the real benefit (beyond health) is the program goes toward planting a designated number of trees and collecting designated pounds of plastic ocean garbage based on the miles you walk/run/swim/row, etc. Lol - The one I really want to do is Hadrian's Wall because I'm such a Roman history buff, but that one is 90 miles long so it would take me awhile.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,493 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone! Back at it tomorrow.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone! Back at it tomorrow.

Heard that. Time to buckle down and do this.