Winter blahs

Options
The cold weather makes me want to hibernate. I’m a bit concerned as it’s only December.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,959 Member
    Options
    ...and, this is an issue...why?

I mean, yeah, everyone wants to stay indoors and stay warm, but what is the problem with that, and if it's a problem - then find a solution. I eat more over the holidays and exercise less. I think that's probably fairly common, but certainly not everyones' experience. You can join a gym, do online exercises, work on good nutrition.
  • 5nnpnvxb7c
    5nnpnvxb7c Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What!? The winter is the time to grind 😭. Sleeping in sounds nice and all and the grey weather kind of induces that feeling but take the opportunity in being locked inside and work on yourself!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    How cold is it were you are? My coldest run so far was at -1C and I hiked up a local mountain at -10 windchill. Lets be honest, if it was stormy and rainy all winter I'd be feeling really meh and would stay in. But this weather is actually mostly ok.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it's fairly normal. I usually take November and December to just kind of relax and enjoy the holiday season. I still go for a walk pretty much everyday, but I don't do a whole lot more than that. I like having my fire going with some hot tea and a cozy couch and good movie or show this time of year. Come January I get back into gear which unfortunately means a couple of months of indoor exercise (not my favorite), but it's only a couple of months. We start getting spring teases mid February or so around here.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I've got clothing ready so I can keep skating on the weekend, if it's not wet or too windy. And I have weights and an indoor bike at home, so I'm covered anyway.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I don't enjoy my Winter fitness activities even close to as much as my good-weather ones. It gets quite cold, icy, and snowy here every Winter. (Temperatures usually down to -10 to -15 F (-23 to -26 C) at some point(s).)

Mostly, I make a plan for my Winter workouts, then day to day act as if it isn't something I make a decision about, it's just something that I *do*, much as I might do laundry or grocery shopping. That mostly works.

It helps me that I love my Summer activities so much I'd do them even if they weren't good for me (but they are). So, some of the reasons I stay on track are:

* I don't want to start over from fitness level zero come Spring
    * I can work on some of the skills I need for the summer stuff, in addition to the conditioning
    * After being active for a long time now (years), I recognize that I gradually get grumpy, moody, stiff, depressive, etc., if I'm inactive for more than a few days
    * I'm already old; I don't need to also be (more) incapable
    * I want to stay independent and capable (out of assisted living facilities!) as long as possible

There are other reasons, but those are a few.

Other than the occasional walk when it's not brutal outside, it's all indoor stuff. I like to hibernate, too. Pre-pandemic, I went to spin classes a couple of times a week. Now, I pretty much just work out at home. I've accumulated a fair bit of equipment over the years, which is nice, but a lot can be done at home, even in an apartment or single room, with minimal equipment.
  • Miller_laine
    Miller_laine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My Psychiatrist told me to get do light therapy to give me more motivation and lift my mood. Hope this helps!
  • menardfrancine24
    Options
    When it cold I don’t feel like doing much out doors but I’m forced to walk the dogs so I walk about a mile with them Some days it’s 29-32 YouTube has great exercise videos.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    mcc66 wrote: »
    The cold weather makes me want to hibernate. I’m a bit concerned as it’s only December.

Lack of Vitamin D.

Try adding some Vitamin D Light Therapy bulbs in the house or in the winter add Vitamin D to your diet. Studies have shown that upping your Vitamin D during dark or winter months, will help improve your mood and energy.

You can google if you like.

Good luck!
  • Genevie8
    Genevie8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hate the winter too! I love to walk outside but I can't do this colder weather. I just ache. So I'm back to exercising indoors, and looking for days in the 50's which we sometimes have in winter. I can't let them get past me, I need to make myself get out there. ha
  • Thegreenbeliever
    Thegreenbeliever Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are tons of workouts on YouTube. Use the indoors if it’s too cold and demotivating outside! Hang in there, keep your eye on the prize.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    h29v8trt8i5v.png

~ Alfred Wainwright – he of the many walking books.

I'm only applying this to walking. And while I will walk in drizzle, I haven't bothered getting gear for rain. But it exists!

Sure, I'm more motivated if it is at least in the 50's (F) and sunny, but fortunately, I don't rely on motivation.

Between forcing myself (if needed) to get out there, and taking vitamin D and Wellbutrin, seasonal affective disorder isn't really a thing for me any more.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    When it cold I don’t feel like doing much out doors but I’m forced to walk the dogs so I walk about a mile with them Some days it’s 29-32 YouTube has great exercise videos.

My husky and I would have loved those temperatures. Unfortunately for both of us, we were in South Florida. In the yucky summers, I forced myself to walk him just before sunrise and right around sunset.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited January 1
    Options
    Yeah, winter is hard. All my favourite places to walk and run are quagmires from months of rain, and each day I have to plan for the windows of time where it’s not raining, and it’s not dark, and I can get out.

(Yes, I have all the appropriate gear to go out in the rain, but I still find it unpleasant for many reasons).

I’ve got some strength and flexibility workouts I do when I’m stuck indoors, but honestly I’m mostly just taking a lot of naps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I guess I'm a "real" Canadian. I love winter and getting out in the snow to snowshoe, cross country ski, skate on the world's longest skating rink (it didn't open last year due to climate change and we've had above average temps so far so it's not boding well) even walking the dogs is more invigorating. I must confess, however, that I'm not brave enough to cycle outdoors once the snow flies. It's all about dressing appropriately (it occasionally gets down to -40 here) and finding activities that you enjoy.

The picture below is from a 10km run a few years ago when it was about -36C outside....

gcuuy3kye40r.jpg

• kshama2001
    Options

I guess I'm a "real" Canadian. I love winter and getting out in the snow to snowshoe, cross country ski, skate on the world's longest skating rink (it didn't open last year due to climate change and we've had above average temps so far so it's not boding well) even walking the dogs is more invigorating. I must confess, however, that I'm not brave enough to cycle outdoors once the snow flies. It's all about dressing appropriately (it occasionally gets down to -40 here) and finding activities that you enjoy.

The picture below is from a 10km run a few years ago when it was about -36C outside....

gcuuy3kye40r.jpg

You're my hero!

In the 70's in Massachusetts, I skated every winter. For a long time now, there's been no winters consistently cold enough to completely freeze the ponds.

I wasn't able to snowshoe at all last winter - usually I can do it at least a few times.