GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    My mother was paranoid about me getting injured playing contact sports when I was in school, so no football or wrestling. To be fair, at the time I was a string bean which would likely be snapped in half if I did try out for the football team, but it still irked me to be told "no" rather than allow me to come to the same conclusion through discourse. She did allow me to join the track and cross country teams, where I earned my letterman's jacket.

I don't blame her. My bf loved his football days, but those concussions came at a cost. Docs have told him that it wouldn't be surprising if he died of an aneurism or stroke before he's 65. Too much brain trauma. :(
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I too was told no football growing up. Played baseball for about 10 years (up to high school) and basketball for a few years in elementary school. Captained our quiz team to 3 conference titles, did a number of science competitions and played trumpet in concert band... boy was I cool or what.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I too was told no football growing up. Played baseball for about 10 years (up to high school) and basketball for a few years in elementary school. Captained our quiz team to 3 conference titles, did a number of science competitions and played trumpet in concert band... boy was I cool or what.

Super cool to me! :smiley:
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    I was captain of my school's scholastic decathlon team, came just shy of winning state and going to national my senior year. (Would've won handily if we had travelled the night before and stayed at a hotel, rather than getting up at 3am to drive same-day and compete while short of sleep. Never forgiven my coach for that decision, lol.)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options

Band kid? Oh hell yeah you were cool.

We were cooler in the drum line, though. Sorry, dude.

My oldest used to cartwheel everywhere rather than walk. One day she cartwheeled from the living room to the kitchen, kicked her little sister square in the noggin, and knocked her out cold.

She thought she had killed her sister.

That ended the cartwheels. For about 24 hours. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • nossmf
    Options
    My daughter would say the color guard beat the pants off of the drum line. Just saying. Her words, not mine.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options

Well sports over here in high school is totally different than in USA i think.
    Here people just do sports, but not linked with school, like football/baseball/basketball or anything else basically.

We did however had chess classes, after regular school ours, so that was cool
  • HungryCatapilar24
    HungryCatapilar24 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Well sports over here in high school is totally different than in USA i think.
    Here people just do sports, but not linked with school, like football/baseball/basketball or anything else basically.

We did however had chess classes, after regular school ours, so that was cool

We have a local high school that’s a sports college and they do focus on sports talented kids
  • nossmf
    Options
    I was an avid bowler all growing up, had my sights on going pro at one point, but because of the uncertainty in income I opted to go to college instead, which led to the military and becoming an engineer, forever wondering if I truly had the right stuff to make it as a pro. Anyway, I digress, reason I brought it up is my school did not have a bowling team, so I made arrangements with the local bowling center (the owner was my personal coach) for coaching, practice lanes, only thing the school needed to do was sign on the line to approve. Which they did...AFTER I graduated. (Not that I'm bitter or anything after all these years, oh no...)
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    OH MY QUAD, my legs are STILL sore from Monday's sesh. Still... going to try and lift today (I already did half an hour of snow shoveling lol).
  • nossmf
    Options
    That'll teach you to not take prolonged time off from lifting, lol. Seriously, avoiding DOMS is a major driver in getting me into the gym some days.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    That'll teach you to not take prolonged time off from lifting, lol. Seriously, avoiding DOMS is a major driver in getting me into the gym some days.

I know... I earned this punishment. 🤪
    Options
    I was an avid bowler all growing up, had my sights on going pro at one point, but because of the uncertainty in income I opted to go to college instead, which led to the military and becoming an engineer, forever wondering if I truly had the right stuff to make it as a pro. Anyway, I digress, reason I brought it up is my school did not have a bowling team, so I made arrangements with the local bowling center (the owner was my personal coach) for coaching, practice lanes, only thing the school needed to do was sign on the line to approve. Which they did...AFTER I graduated. (Not that I'm bitter or anything after all these years, oh no...)

Bowling for life!
    I wish bowling over here was as big as it is in USA

I am a certified trainer/coach for 6 years now on ETBF level 2 (same as gold level USBC coach in USA)
    One of my pupils made it to national team U18 and is a rising star.

I live for bowling, and wish there was made to be a living in it, on the training/coaching level.

I am not as good as i used to be, since i hardly play tournaments anymore, but still averaging 200 in house league, and we play on challenge patterns, not the easiest ones either.
    I had to stop on professional level after a shoulder injury when i was 19 years old and going for my first EC. After 3 months off, i looked into becoming a trainer, and love doing it.

Bowling is a ever evolving sport, with all the new equipment, lane conditions etc.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Parker Bohn III 2 times now here in The Netherlands, and have had training from him as well during a clinic day.
    Also met Sean Rash, Jason Sterner, Jon van Hees in the first clinic back in 2015. Great guys, and learned so much from them. They hardly visit over here, so was a real honor meeting them.

I hope to one day meet Norm Duke as well, as he was my biggest (pun intended) idol when i started bowling.

Sorry about the babbling about bowling when this is a gif thread, but when it comes to bowling, i can talk for day's
    Options
    OH MY QUAD, my legs are STILL sore from Monday's sesh. Still... going to try and lift today (I already did half an hour of snow shoveling lol).

Oh, i hate when that happens.

Still sore from that 5/4/5 on that 85% squat from Tuesday as well, but went for deadlifts on Wednesday anyway, and today is accessory work, but gonna adjust a little to make it upper body accessory work, and no legs today
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options

That hug is for the snow shoveling, not the quads.

I saw a snow shovel once. I think.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

5mcxbwf1vxdi.gif
  • nossmf
    Options
    Boggles my mind when I see people train bench, squats and deadlifts on the same day. Sure, they are all together on competition day, but train together? I get tired just THINKING about it! lol
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Boggles my mind when I see people train bench, squats and deadlifts on the same day. Sure, they are all together on competition day, but train together? I get tired just THINKING about it! lol

I tried that first, in the thought that if I just did that and some accessories 2x a week, I'd still keep the lifts going and not lose ground. But it's just too many sets and time after you warm up to heavy weight.

I am still trying to figure what i want to do for my workouts, but now Im leaning towards bench/squats and bench/deads with some accessory work.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

You are right... It is a LOT to do all three... And the last one often suffers. 🤪
    edited January 15
    Options
    Pretty happy with my workout today
    Today was the start of week 6, so close to end of my 7 week cycle.

Doing squats at 90% of my 1RM and even though i could have hit better depth, this still felt pretty good.
    Definatly not perfect form, since my upper body shifted forward, but the weight itself moved pretty good

This was my second set of 4 out of 3 sets.
    88l3npbokx7s.gif
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    This is pretty common in beginner programs. With consistency you train out of it pretty quickly though.