STARS 9 WEEK HOLIDAY CHALLENGE (CLOSED GROUP)

Options

Replies

• tessacope2
    Options
    QOTD Tuesday: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?

1. To look in the mirror and like what I see
    2. To be a better wife...if I feel good emotionally, I can be a better partner.
    3. To have more energy

I'm going to the Gap and buying a pair of size 10 black pants...which is what I wore when I graduated from college 10 years ago!!
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    QOTD Tuesday: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?

1. To be healthier.
    2. To be a better mom.
    3. To be more active.

I have not really chosen a single activity or action I would like to do once I lose the weight. I am focusing mostly on getting the weight off one pound at a time right now.
  • luvmybee
    luvmybee Posts: 58 Member
    Options

1. my baby girl-she has special needs and needs a healthy mama to handle all of her appointments and such
    2. I want to stop feeling tired. I feel tired constantly.
    3. I want to have another baby. I can't do that at this weight.

Once I lose it, I plan on trying to get pregnant again. I would also like to get family pictures done. We don't have any pictures of the three of us.
  • tartz66
    tartz66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    09/27-2011 QOTD Tuesday: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?

1. To wear form fitting clothes without any bulge
    2. To feel confident and sexy
    3. To feel healthier and lean

I haven't given that much thought yet. I am just looking forward to all the yearly events that comes around that I get so angry at myself for because I feel too fat. For instance....To be able to wear a cute Halloween costume, to wear a sexy dress for the holidays, to wear cute shorts and tanks in the summer. I am simply tired of wearing bubble tops and baggy sweat shirts to hide the fat. So, I guess my answer would be to go and buy a new wardrobe!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    QOTH Tuesday: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?

1. I want to be healthy, so I can better care for those I love.
    2. I want to regain what was once an athletic body.
    3. I want to feel more confident. Seems I have lost that as my weight has gone up.

My goal is to do a sprint triathlon.
  • Tiffany517
    Tiffany517 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    09/28-2011 QOTD, Wednesday: Have you resolved any emotional issues connected to your weight? And What's the biggest one you have over come, if any?

I know with me there is still some emotional issues like self confidence that is still there, and sometimes it brings old feeling back and i just want to give up all over again. It's all a work in progress and with quite a few pounds left to go still, It's an issue.
    I used to be so unhappy about everything. Everything was always neg. But i have changed this somewhat or so i would like to think that i'm starting to see positive in situations and people.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    09/28-2011 QOTD, Wednesday: Have you resolved any emotional issues connected to your weight? And What's the biggest one you have over come, if any?
    You ladies are asking great questions. I know off hand that I have many emotional issues related to my being overweight.

1) My whole life up until now, food has been a source of comfort for me. Sometimes when I'm feeling drained or depressed I find myself wondering back and forth to the kitchen looking for something to comfort me. This makes me feel out of control and in past years I was never able to stop and recognize this action whereas now I see what I am subconsciously seeking and I mental try to refocus my energy on something else. Working out has helped me a lot in this area.

2) I also recently realize that I am emotionally uncomfortable with positive attention. This is crazy I know but true. When I was 30 lbs down at the beginning of summer, I was freaked out and anxious when people would give me compliments or men would give me a lot of attention. It was like I didn't think I deserved the attention let alone wanted it. Even when I see overweight people on TV or in movies showing affection and having affection shown towards them, it makes me uncomfortable. Obviously this is related to how I view my worthiness, one of the many things I need to overcome.

I picked up this book "A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever". I think it will help me overcome these emotional demons.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    QoTh: Have you resolved any emotional issues with your weight and if so what are they and how did u overcome them?
    Answer: I have dealt with some emotional issues. I never thought I was pretty and I just wasn't one of those girls that got told it alot. i always felt like I had to be larger than life to get noticed. I started to love myself at the size I was and then I made a change. I started to appreciate what I was doing for me and I started to see success in other areas of my life.

I just used my excercise to release the demons that I had inside me about myself. It was my stress reliever. At first it was a hassle now I love it.!
  • RhondaLeeRoss
    Options

Off hand I can't think of any specific emotional issues......but I'm sure there in there!

I'm not blaming my mother because I am a grown adult now so the only one to blame is myself! But as a child I was told with anything that I couldn't do it, or I wouldn't stick to it, I was a quiter, etc...etc.... That is partly why I think I may have failed or gave up with the whole exercise weight loss thing. Then I met a friend that told me I am worth it, and I can do anything I put my mind to. This friend is also a BIG influence in my journey towards God! 9 weeks later I am still going strong with exercising 6 days a week (1 hour/day) and I'm lovin' it!!!! I love that the blouse I put on today is lose and the last time I wore it the buttons were ready to pop!

The biggest issue I need to overcome is the whole eating right. I was never made to eat my fruit and veggies as a child so it's never been a habit for me. This is my biggest struggle now.

Mind over matter ladies (and gents if there are any in this challenge)!!! The food isn't the issue! You mind is the most powerful part of your body, use it wisely!

Not only am I praying for myself in this weight loss journey, I'm praying for each and every one of you as well!
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Hmm, this is a tough one. I didn't gain weight because I was eating poorly. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't perfect. But, I actually gained the weight because I got PCOS and my body didn't know how to process carbs (so they just turned to fat). One thing I had to deal with while changing my lifestyle was figuring out how to change the carbs to something my body could handle. I grew up on the east coast, and it is customary to have a piece of bread with every meal. I had to figure out how to break that mindset and move forward.

I do have insecurity issues. I have always been insecure, no matter what weight I have been at (160 or 210). I am still working on this, but I feel like the older I get, and the more I lose, the better I feel. But, as soon as I am around people that are smaller than me, I revert back to an insecure wimp. :( Last night is a perfect example. I was at the gym, had a great workout, felt amazing and even a bit thin. Then a girl that was about the size of my pinky came and stretched next to me. All I could see was the fat rolls around my stomach that happen when I am stretching. It ruined the entire workout for me. I am still working on this character flaw and hope that some day I will truly be happy with myself and stop comparing myself to others. Because I will always be a larger (not fat, just not petite) girl.
  • 6eighteen11
    Options

YES! In May 2010 I graduated from college in Minneapolis and the next week moved with my then-boyfriend to Columbus, Nebraska for a job he took. I have never lived more than 1.5 hours away from my family, and I moved there not knowing anyone, but hoping to make it a positive experience. We tried the bar scene a few times, but there just weren't people our age up and about in Columbus. With a job I hated, no friends or family within 7 hours and not much to do in Columbus, I quickly fell into a pattern of sleeping in late then spending all day on the couch eating whatever I wanted. I kept telling myself, "you're just homesick, these sad feeling will go away in time." They didn't go away, and I decided it was Columbus that was dragging me down. When I got a job (a job that is basically 100% suited for what I went to college for) in Lincoln, I was THRILLED. My fiance and I moved to a small town in between and I knew things would turn around. I had a great job, my co-workers were my age and liked to hang out, I was back working in a big city, I was deep into wedding planning and loved the little town we live in. So why did I still feel like crap? It only took about a month in my new surroundings to fall back into the exact same feelings I had in Columbus.I cared even less about my diet and working out, and finally just gave up. If working toward my wedding wasn't going to motivate me, nothing would. I mean, I was barely motivated to get out bed every morning. The wedding came and went and about one month later, it finally clicked in my brain that I was depressed. I'm a newlywed, shouldn't this be one of the most exciting times in my life? I saw a doctor right away, and was diagnosed after about 5 minutes of talking through my feelings. Feelings, which in retrospect, had been building up for over a year, that I just pushed aside, thinking they'd eventually go away.
    Through a combination of diet, exercise and medication I am feeling more optimistic and energetic than I have in a LONG time. I'm back to the mindset that I deserve a good life, and I'm going to do everything I can to gain it back!
  • tartz66
    tartz66 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

For me, I am still working on this everyday. I have always been very insecure about my body image. I have always wanted to be something I'm not. Unfortunately I have passed this down to my 12 yr. old daughter. She is also very insecure and not happy in her own skin. I thought I was being discrete and you would be surprised how much our children pick up on. I think the media is a lot to blame when it comes to our self confidence and body image. Everywhere we look, everything we read, everything we watch are these perfect airbrushed celebrities. We have it made up in our minds that we are supposed look just like them and if we don't we beat ourselves up over it.

So, my priority is to turn the negative into something positive. Instead of focusing on the things we don't like about ourselves, try to focus on all the things you love about yourself. I do this everyday with myself and my children. I always remind myself and my children how amazing, talented, and beautiful we are. For example....When I drop my daughter off at school every morning I always compliment her whether it is her outfit she is wearing or the way she did her hair or simply her good attitude. Middle school is tough these days. We thought we had it bad; I couldn't imagine going through what our children go through these days. There is a lot of drama, a lot of jealousy, and a lot of bullying. I see the things going on FB and kids are really cruel! I always, always remind my children to not get involved with all of the drama. I remind them to always be nice, never judge, and to always stick up for the child that is being bullied. These kids that are being bullied and made fun of are the ones that grow up having a low self esteem and no self worth.

Ladies, if we are feeling this way about ourselves, don't you think our children are feeling it too? Let's break the cycle and focus on getting healthy, loving ourselves, and teach our children how to love themselves. Compliment yourself, compliment your child, compliment a stranger. You will make their day that much better and WE ARE WORTH IT!!!!!
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options

Definitely. I can step back and assess WHY I want to eat now. Usually it's some emotional trigger. I'm not all the way there yet, but I'm so much closer. Replacing eating with instrospection has made the biggest difference. I feel like I'm more self away and in control. My biggest emotional trigger was frustration and contention. My work can be chaotic and I'm more of a peacemaker and would be spending all day trying to no join the melee. As soon as I'd get home I'd want to raid the pantry. Now when things get charged up, I usually go outside for a 10 minute walk. It gets me out of the situation, I get a break and it keeps me even tempered.

I also know that I'm good enough the way I am. My size/weight, etc. doesn't define me anymore. I believe my husband, too. He's been one of the biggest reasons I've changed as much as I have.
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Someone else mentioned this and to some I guess it does sound crazy but I have issues receiving compliments regarding my weight loss. There have been times when someone has said something about me losing weight or looking good and I would go home and binge eat. I have really worked on this - I am not there yet it still makes me uncomfortable sorta but I accept it and go on and I don't go home and eat.
  • jereedy1089
    jereedy1089 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    9/28/2011 QOTD: Wednesday: Have you resolved any emotional issues connected to your weight? And what's the biggest one you have over come, if any?

I totally agree that this is a tough question and also somewhat complicated.

I have always battled with my insecurities and I am on my way to overcoming them. I believe every single woman has them or has defeated them. Mine began when I was really young, probably 6th-7th grade. It was all about fitting in with the cool crowd, wearing limited too clothing, and being on the "A" Team in sports. I became extremely insecure and pressured.
    The weight issue did not start until my sophomore year of highschool though. I started to gain weight when I stopped playing sports and being active. Sports had changed drastically from when I was a kid. It wasnt about being a "team," it was about who is the most popular and therefore the best player. I knew I was a great player but it just wasnt the same so I quit all sports. That was HUGE!

I played soccer and many other sports from when I was 5 to when I turned 16. Going from all of this to completely putting on the brakes, I immediately gained weight. And it continued to slowly pile on as the years have gone by because my body is used to constantly being active. So over the last 6-7 years my weight has gone up and down about three times but it has never stayed consistent. Either I dropped 20 pounds but then put it all back on within a year. So this is the last and final time, I need this to stick and be a lifestyle change not just another diet.

When I think back to when I weighed even 10 pounds less than I do now, I was so much more confident, my insecurities started to disappear and I was happy. I did not care what people thought, all I knew was that I felt great and looked great! To me its never been about the number on the scale because I will and have always been the girl who looks small but weighs 160 pounds on the scale. I know my body composition and I have accepted that I will always be curvy with broad shoulders, a tiny waist, and a big butt and thighs. lol thats just the way its going to be. So my biggest challenge that I promise I WILL overcome is truly believing that I am beautiful and that this is the way that I was created no matter what I weigh!
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. I have been moving and I have not been able to really be on MFP. But I would like to catch up! (My partner and I are getting to know eachother though!) Yeahhhh NICCA90!!!!!

Saturday 9/24/11: What made you decide that now was the time to start your weight loss journey?”

The hospital I work for offered a pilot program for a non surgical weight loss program. Since I’ve been really thinking about doing surgery to lose weight, I figured this would be the last straw. I was accepted into the program in May and didn’t start until July. I saw a girl in the program who looked like she lost a ton of weight when she really didn’t lose that much. The difference in the way she looked motivated me. So I jumped onto MFP and decided to start with logging. Well, I started logging AND reading people’s stories and WHAM! I got fired up! And my journey thus began!

SUNDAY 9/25/11 : Can you identify any weight loss 'downfalls' that you are prone to and if so, what can you do to curb them over the next nine weeks?

I eat what everyone around me is eating. In the next few weeks, I am going to focus on planning my meals! And I am going to buy lettuce and tomatoes for home. So if nothing else, I can at least have a salad! I am also in need of drinking MORE water. All of a sudden I am having a hard time drinking water, when I never use to.

MONDAY 9/26/11 : Since we are all at different points in this weight loss process, what has helped you to be the most successful in weight loss, exercise, or staying within your calories so far?

So far, it has been a little easy for me in the eating department because I went from junk food to (gulp) (gulp) (gulp) heal…. (gulp) uhm… h-e-a-l-t-h-y food. That made the weight loss pretty steady. I also went from couch potato to up and running! For me it has been a matter of going from dead to alive… I’m surprised at how much weight someone can lose this way… 

Tuesday 9/27/11: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?
    1. To wear clothes I like.
    2. To feel this energy that I am now starting to feel.
    3. To accomplish a goal. This is probably my only goal that doesn’t depend on anyone or anything else but me. If I don’t have money, I use nature. If I don’t have a partner, I use my ipod. If I don’t have motivation I use MFP. If I don’t have internet I use my phone. If I don’t have … it doesn’t matter, I will find something to use to get me to my weight loss…

When I lose my weight I am going to buy me something SEXY and I am going to WEAR IT!

9/28/2011 QOTD: Wednesday: Have you resolved any emotional issues connected to your weight? And what's the biggest one you have over come, if any?

I have been able to see that the heat doesn't kill me. I can handle sweating. I can handle getting REALLY hot. I can handle it and gain from it. I love to SWEAT now. ... when I'm working out! It helps me to lose weight! :)
  • legacysh
    Options

Like most of you have responded, emotional eating is a big thing. I eat because I am bored. I have a very busy chaotic life, by choice! When I have downtime, I don't know what to do with myself and find that I hang out a lot in the pantry. Once I fall into that trap, the rest of the day is shot to hell so to speak. I also eat for loneliness. I am not lonely, but sometimes I get a huge feeling of loneliness. It comes from living far from my family, having a tough relationship with my only child since I divorced his father and sometimes even missing my ex.

I gained all my weight after my son was born. His Father was in a traumatic accident, and I was left at home with a new baby and husband who needed a lot of care. I quit doing anything active, quit being involved in any activities that boosted me and I started to eat. I got up to 283 pounds before I took control.

I think now that I obsess over my weight. The more I obsess and let the emotions get the best of me, the more prone I am to fall off the wagon. The good thing is that I can see myself doing it now. I'm not totally oblivious to my behaviors. I can catch myself most of the time and correct the behavior. Sometimes I don't want to. But being on this site makes me more accountable for that syndrome and helps keep me honest with myself.
  • Kaesize6
    Options
    QOTH Tuesday: What are your top 3 reasons for losing weight and what is one thing you are going to do once you lose it?

1. I want to have healthy children, and have a great pregnancy when its my time.
    2. Confidence in doing athletics & dancing ( I have always had an inner desire to be athletic & dance as a child which only grew with age. However, I was insecure about my weight and was never able to live out my passion. :-(
    3. I want to wear clothes and NOT PULL or TUG ON MY SHIRT- I WANT TO BE COMFORTABLE IN MY OWN SKIN AND CLOTHES!
  • ChatSournois
    Options

Well, I always have this saying 'Life is too short'..and that was all very well and good when I was skinny and young. Now, if I have a bad day-I think I need a treat to boost my spirits and if I have a good day-I think I need a treat as a reward.
    I need to realise that treats should be limited until I reach my target.
    I definately over eat when I am stressed or tired. I am trying to sleep early each night during the week lately to see if it makes a difference.
  • Kaesize6
    Options

When I am taken out of my comfort zone (schedule being broken, going away for a few weeks, in my most comfortable surrounding), when I am stressed, When I am sad, I turn to junkfood for some sort of calm. I hate it! I also have such a weak spot for anything sweet, and I just almost always give in to temptation. I swear, if i lay off of sugar i KNOW i will lose all of my desired weight!

I don't know if I have necessarily overcome any of those bad habits yet, but I can say that I have stopped eating meats which was alot easier than I thought.