Life is better after 50

Options
So I’m back again, and looking for new friends and accountability partners.
Cleaned out my friend list and am looking for the 50 and up crowd.

My story - I am experiencing all the joys of a 52 year old woman. I have recently been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Disease that on top of menopause make losing weight a struggle!! At the advice of my doctor, I am trying intermittent fasting.

In the same boat? Then let’s be friends! Let’s tackle 2024 together!!

Replies

• gigila72
    gigila72 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Gigila72- I'm 51 1/2 and could use more MFP connections!
  • itsker56
    itsker56 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Going through a lot of stress. Recently diagnosed with high blood pressure and diabetes. Trying to eat healthier and lose weight. Need motivation. Thanks
  • danyxx2421
    danyxx2421 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm brand new here. I'm Danielle, 52 and dear goodness need to lose some weight and figure this new season of life out....let's be friends.
  • Genevie8
    Genevie8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm getting back to MyFitness doing it on my own. I've been on a plan through our insurance but now that changed and I am not allowed on that program any longer. I lost 14 lbs, but I have so much more to go. It did get me back to exercising 5 days a week so that was good. I need accountability friends here
  • MCFNY
    MCFNY Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Started to take better care of myself in August and now it is December, I'm down 13 lbs. My blood pressure is back to normal (low sodium is key) and my glucose / sugar levels are back to normal (completely cut sugar and wheat out of my diet). Some days are better than others but I'm trying! Got 7 more pounds to go and I will officially have lost all my 'covid' weight gain (pandemic packed 20 pounds on my already overweight physique)
  • Shemo14919
    Shemo14919 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just returned back to MFP. I am 51 and the struggle is real!!!

I am looking to lose about 80lbs to be at my best overall health. I had weight loss surgery almost 20 years ago and lost over 170lbs, but then after getting married, having kids and living through some very stressful situations, I have put about half of it back on. It is time to get back on track.

I really struggle with getting bored and annoyed by having to track everything all of the time, but I know that is the only way that I am actually successful in this journey. Looking for accountability, motivation and support.
  • NCGatorJen
    NCGatorJen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just turned 52 last week and the struggle is real. I’ve spent too much time trying to figure out my issues and not enough action. Ready for a change and breakthrough.

Would love to be of support and to be supported.
  • angipep
    angipep Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm doing 5:2. Add me as a friend I'm not sure how to lol 😆
  • teresamitchell1125
    teresamitchell1125 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m 55! I think I’m through all the fun that comes along with menopause and I have the extra pounds to show for it. I need some daily motivation from others that can relate!
  • Rconda
    Rconda Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 9
    Options
    I'm 54, and just returned to MFP. I am also finding that menopause makes things more challenging, but this excess weight that keeps piling on year after year is also extremely challenging to live with. I could use a few accountability buddies and would love to help cheer others on along the way. I don't know how to add friends yet, but please feel free to connect with me.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    There's a whole little group that's populated by those of us Seasoned Citizens over fifty. You can find it at https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group.

It's been kind of quiet over there lately, but if more folks come and play, it will pick back up again.
  • brandijo71
    brandijo71 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello- 52 here. 53 in August. Low thyroid- arthritis and the M word - all just bad enough to be annoying!! 😁. I have some fabulous grandchildren I need to keep up with and it’s not 100% about the number on the scale - but about feeling good. I don’t want to just watch my grands grow- I want to participate! Feel free to friend me!
  • Dean_IsStayinLean
    Dean_IsStayinLean Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and just stopped by to say - It can be done! I'm in the best shape of my life after coming back and working hard with MFP about 18 months ago. Always happy to encourage others on their journey! (PS - it does not stop at goal weight!)
  • MujerVieja72
    MujerVieja72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 51, just joined My Fitness Pal. Kind of got an idea what I need to do to get rid of about 57 pounds or so. I've been going up & down my whole life since childhood. I too am post menopausal. Good luck to you. I wish you well.
  • jimdavidson5507
    jimdavidson5507 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    60+ and a real challenge.
    Restarted couple days ago and welcoming new friends.
    Off to have a look at the group link in thread.

Feel free to add.
  • lawmaria
    lawmaria Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hi I just had bloodwork and I am officially in menopause. I had perimenopause for the past few years. The weight gain and bs is bad.
  • IslandGal3
    IslandGal3 Posts: 234 Member
    edited January 29
    Options
    Good morning everyone. 52 has been a tough one. Lost my dad to cancer. Had surgery on my knee twice. Adjusting to this new normal. Growing older has it challenges, but I’m not going down without a fight!
  • JTS2008
    JTS2008 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, I don't know how this works but lets see if it helps. I am not 50, not for another 10 months. My Goal is to lose 50 pounds before turning 50. I want to do this by eating less food during meals. Sounds easy, but I'm just having a hard time with it. With 3 kids (1 physically handicap), 60+ hour work weeks, less than 6 hours sleep, constant money issues, parents getting older, my sit down for food is my favorite part of the day. I'm feeling that I'm getting older, I've developed arthritis in my hands, my back hurts a little bit more, and my stamina has decreased. I don't talk to anyone about this, because they give me the I don't care vibes. To them I just the funny fat dad. I'm inspired by so many things this world has to offer, so I guess I'm just looking for a little more inspiration.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,281 Member
    Options
    Hi all 61 and working hard to lose the last few pounds but boy is it hard. Add me if you want.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    @JTS2008

I'm sad to read about all your struggles. Congratulations for making the decision to take control of one aspect of your life. I hope your 50s are better than your late 40s for sure!

Losing five pounds a month is likely a reasonable goal. It's about one pound a week. To do that, you need a 500 calorie per day deficit (eat 500 calories less than your body uses). If you haven't yet, go through the Guided Setup to get a daily calorie consumption target. Then use the food journal to track what you eat. Log every single thing you eat and drink. Log accurately, honestly, and completely. Observe your results after several weeks or a month. If your results don't match your expectations, you can make small changes to your approach.

If you don't have a food scale, invest in one. It's the best way to monitor your consumption. If you don't do that, you don't really know if you're eating less at meals. What you eat matters too. Logging what you eat can help you figure out what makes you feel full and stay feeling full, especially if you take notes.

With all the demands of your limited time, you may not have much time for exercise. You can for sure lose fat without exercise. If you can make some time in your day to take care of yourself with some exercise though, it might help your overall well-being. It can for sure increase your physical health and fitness, and many people find it helps manage stress and other mental distractions.

Let us know how it's going.