WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    edited January 28
    Options
    Ginny - interesting the kids might move back. I can see how that could change your plans a little. Yes, things work out like they are supposed to for sure and I'm finding hasty decisions aren't the best anymore unless there's no other choice. Let us know how you like that vest. I wore it again yesterday for a 10 minute house walk and out to the mailbox and back. Definitely affects balance a tiny bit. I put folded washcloths under the shoulder straps, which helped a lot.

Pip - can't wait to see the finished bathroom. Will you put up more mirrors? Drywall looks great. Sorry you cut your hand.

Kylia - I'm so glad you have the cardiologist appointment coming up. Seems like you haven't had any episodes for a while? Also good that your DH is tuning in on some good health habits.

Tracey - When my mom died, I got one of her diaries. She didn't write a lot other than the weather, but comments like "the combine broke and it rained" bring back a flood of memories. Nice that there's drywall and ceiling progress at your house. :) Yes, I need to think of a reason to go see Dr. Lisa and quiz Kelly more about her dad, lol. ;)

Betsy - you'll be coming back to chilly nights and sunny days this coming Friday, but nothing like Wasilla weather. Nice that you got to spend time with your grands. How's your sis doing?

Allie - isn't it fun to see those photos of when we were so young? The hairstyles, the clothing. We were pretty hot back then, lol.

Annie - sounds like a nice lunch with Craig. So good for you to get out. Please remind me - is your dad walking everywhere these days or is he still driving?

Machka - so happy to hear you and your DH are getting your energy back and participate in the bike rides.

Tina - thanks for the info on shiitake mushrooms. I'll pick up a few at Safeway next time I'm in town if they look good.

Rebecca - Nice that you got to spend time with your friend. So important.

Yesterday, the rain slowed down and I let the hens out a couple times on a supervised walk to keep them away from the flower beds along the house. :D They ate grass and found bugs and worms and got to stretch their wings a little. :) Then they obediently followed me back to their run where I'd tossed a little scratch. Maybe with Almy now missing, they figure they'd better mind when I tell them recess is over. :p

I'm thinking about a chicken tractor that's easily moved for this summer so they can spend at least part of the day out scratching. I have the wire fencing, just need to tack something together. Maybe Roger has some ideas. ;) Those Omlet ones like Allie's friend has are nice but I don't think I can justify the cost, especially since the girls already have a run and a nice coop. A day spa with a nesting box is that I have in mind, lol.

A couple things:

<3 James Clear talks about having things handy when forming new habits. As I sit here, I can see the weights on the little table in the breakfast nook, waiting for me to pick them up and walk after I eat. I wonder if that walking habit would have been successful if I'd have kept tucked them away in a box out of sight?

<3 Kelly McGonigal talks about how exercising with others positively benefits our brains and increases the brain's ability to recognize joy. I remembered when I'd go to the gym with my friend after work and walk the treadmills and spend time in the circuit training room together. Wonderful time together and really cemented our friendship. When I retired, that stopped, but the tight friendship has continued. Daily walking with my neighbor during the pandemic definitely benefitted us physically and emotionally. Something to think about. I'll start looking for more opportunities.

Reminder here to get info to me today or early tomorrow if you want to be included in the Weekly Check-In.

Better get crackin'. Catch you later.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im awake ,and just catching up with you all.. its going to be a cold rainy/ snowy day here today ..another day to get a couple more things done..
    Fresh sheets on the bed and tidy up the kitchen counters.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Lanette my dad drives a little bit. I try to keep him from driving at night or in poor weather. He goes to church or McDonald's, which are both in town maybe two miles away. We have trouble with the battery on his car because he doesn't drive it enough. But the day is coming when he shouldn't drive at all, and then he will get more restless.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    me2c2ho49ecm.png

6 of those don’t apply to me
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Lisa - I hope you and Corey get to enjoy the sunroom lots this weekend. It’s good Home Depot stepped up.
    I have several ideas running through my head currently about getting my house the way it would work better for me.

Heather - Congratulations on getting the book published.

Ginny - I find things usually do work as they are meant to.

Annie - can you put a gps tracker in his coat? My friend has some that she used for her tortoise, it’s about the size of a quarter and she tracks it from her phone. At least you would know where he is. You could stitch it in a collar or hem and he wouldn’t even know it was there. Maybe even put it in his shoes. I think they are supposed to be used for luggage, but if it works.
    The grief and stress of your Mother’s passing has probably accelerated your Dad’s decline.

Kylia - I used to stress so much about my DH’s health. My friend whose DH was having some very serious issues told me that I was not his Mother and he had to be responsible for his own health.
    It took me a long time to settle my brain into that thinking, but I have and it’s helped my health doing so.
    I don’t know why, some men are so hard to get to take care of themselves.
    I let his doctor nag him now and he has really made some good changes.

Rosemarie - I can understand both sides of that with your grandfather. We had a couple of residents try to leave the home I worked at. One left in the middle of winter and was found down the street. We had a system called wanderguard where the doors locked if any resident wearing the ankle bracelet went near it, this particular resident had never tried to leave before. I can understand why they want to go home.

Lanette - is nurse Kelly’s dad a handsome widower? 😉

Rita - I hope you find a place you and DH would enjoy.

Betsy - I hope to see Alaska someday.

Rebecca - outings with friends are the best.

Pip - did you just pull the mirror off or did you try to heat it or anything? We want to do the same in our bathroom.

Machka - I stole that meme for my FB. I have friends that will enjoy it.

The first coat of mud is on the wall and the ceiling repair that’s been needed since Oct 2022 has been repaired. He will come back tomorrow for the 2nd coat.

Rodger had a longer day than expected bringing my friends camper home for her. When they arrived back I went with her to get some things out of the trailer and also into the trailer. She didn’t have room in her truck for her sweet dog so he is here pouting and sad tonight. He is such a sweetheart, I’m going to miss having him around for his personality but not for his fur!

I organized some photos today for Kaitlyn’s scrapbook. I need to really put some more thought into it yet, but if I can figure out the pictures I want I’ll have an easier time doing the album.

I thought I may clean out my hope chest and organize it today, but that’s where all of the family history stuff including my grandmother’s and mom’s diaries. I opened one of Grammie’s randomly and found where she bought her wedding dress she called it a “green velvet seethrough, it was almost a wrap style dress but sewn instead of a tie for the waist. I wonder if that’s what she was describing. I forget the date exactly but it was January 1941. She also bought her hat and coat that she was wearing in the picture I shared at the same time. She mentioned another notebook that had the prices of her purchases. I decided I wasn’t in the mood to sort that today because it’s always a bit emotional for me so I left it as is.
    I did clean the coat closet out and organized it a bit today. The biggest area now is the bedroom.

I’m currently sitting here thinking o could probably go to bed. I am tired for some reason this evening.

Tracey in Edmonton

Pulled it off. Condo was built in the 80s so the glue was dry
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Ginny - interesting the kids might move back. I can see how that could change your plans a little. Yes, things work out like they are supposed to for sure and I'm finding hasty decisions aren't the best anymore unless there's no other choice. Let us know how you like that vest. I wore it again yesterday for a 10 minute house walk and out to the mailbox and back. Definitely affects balance a tiny bit. I put folded washcloths under the shoulder straps, which helped a lot.

Pip - can't wait to see the finished bathroom. Will you put up more mirrors? Drywall looks great. Sorry you cut your hand.

Kylia - I'm so glad you have the cardiologist appointment coming up. Seems like you haven't had any episodes for a while? Also good that your DH is tuning in on some good health habits.

Tracey - When my mom died, I got one of her diaries. She didn't write a lot other than the weather, but comments like "the combine broke and it rained" bring back a flood of memories. Nice that there's drywall and ceiling progress at your house. :) Yes, I need to think of a reason to go see Dr. Lisa and quiz Kelly more about her dad, lol. ;)

Betsy - you'll be coming back to chilly nights and sunny days this coming Friday, but nothing like Wasilla weather. Nice that you got to spend time with your grands. How's your sis doing?

Allie - isn't it fun to see those photos of when we were so young? The hairstyles, the clothing. We were pretty hot back then, lol.

Annie - sounds like a nice lunch with Craig. So good for you to get out. Please remind me - is your dad walking everywhere these days or is he still driving?

Machka - so happy to hear you and your DH are getting your energy back and participate in the bike rides.

Tina - thanks for the info on shiitake mushrooms. I'll pick up a few at Safeway next time I'm in town if they look good.

Rebecca - Nice that you got to spend time with your friend. So important.

Yesterday, the rain slowed down and I let the hens out a couple times on a supervised walk to keep them away from the flower beds along the house. :D They ate grass and found bugs and worms and got to stretch their wings a little. :) Then they obediently followed me back to their run where I'd tossed a little scratch. Maybe with Almy now missing, they figure they'd better mind when I tell them recess is over. :p

I'm thinking about a chicken tractor that's easily moved for this summer so they can spend at least part of the day out scratching. I have the wire fencing, just need to tack something together. Maybe Roger has some ideas. ;) Those Omlet ones like Allie's friend has are nice but I don't think I can justify the cost, especially since the girls already have a run and a nice coop. A day spa with a nesting box is that I have in mind, lol.

A couple things:

<3 James Clear talks about having things handy when forming new habits. As I sit here, I can see the weights on the little table in the breakfast nook, waiting for me to pick them up and walk after I eat. I wonder if that walking habit would have been successful if I'd have kept tucked them away in a box out of sight?

<3 Kelly McGonigal talks about how exercising with others positively benefits our brains and increases the brain's ability to recognize joy. I remembered when I'd go to the gym with my friend after work and walk the treadmills and spend time in the circuit training room together. Wonderful time together and really cemented our friendship. When I retired, that stopped, but the tight friendship has continued. Daily walking with my neighbor during the pandemic definitely benefitted us physically and emotionally. Something to think about. I'll start looking for more opportunities.

Reminder here to get info to me today or early tomorrow if you want to be included in the Weekly Check-In.

Better get crackin'. Catch you later.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

We bout new light fixtures and mirrors that will hang
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited January 28
    Options
    Thanks Rita! So happy you found it!
    This is the Kindle cover. :D
    pm997fmzhbzr.jpg
    And I had to make a few tweaks, so this is the paperback cover.
    l0321w0gfqwa.jpg
    I've ordered my author copies, so will have it in my hands by the end of the week. I know the paperback has a rogue blank page in it, but, to be honest, by the time I saw it in the Preview, I was so close to lauching it, I couldn't summon up the energy to go back and fix it, so I let it go. Done is better than perfect.

Predictably, I was very tired today. ;) I had a delicious nap and feel much better. :p I'm still taking the turmeric daily, but I think I'm giving up on the gluten free. Now I'm not totally preoccupied with getting my book out, I'm going to get checked out by the doc and dentist.
    Salmon for dinner tonight, with Persian rice and quinoa (from a packet), raita, and green beans. Looking forward to it already. Will be alcohol free tonight with a very nice AF beer. I have three months to go to our Spring cruise, so am looking to trim a few pounds. I've just had cottage cheese with turmeric stirred in. :p

Annie - Do you want to start another book? If you do, then go for it. It might keep you sane while you deal with the hugely difficult problem of your dad. <3

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Today is: Daisy Day! I might try drawing one, its just that my attempts at drawing anything hasn’t come out real well yet. But practice is helping! And there is no way I can do without Internet today! Everything, including my music and the television are run by the Internet. It would be too quiet!! 🤫

7ec7c38oi089.jpeg
    939fyg9y5z8j.jpeg
    ckyde3qeq2co.jpeg

p2hcdhm65mzk.png
    RVRita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    This is the back of the paperback, with a bit of biography on it. I'll put it in a spoiler.
    i5nhf2bhsu2o.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Allie- Cute picture!
    Lanette- DD (Lauren) and her family ended up postponing their move to Michigan, until May of 2025. :( She gave me this information in November and, although I understand the need for them to do this, I found the news really depressing. I was SO looking forward to no more trips to Texas (except to help them pack/move) and having those boys close so I could see them whenever I want. BUT...it is for the best. There ended up being a few repairs that needed to be done on the house before they could list it for sale, and then they had a couple of pricey car repairs. So the financial squeeze would have made their final few months in Texas extremely stressful and with no wiggle room financially if things went sideways. So, another year in Texas for them. They are coming for a visit in March, though!

I have been busy this weekend getting end of year (2023) paperwork done, end of month paperwork done, and cleaning and prepping for the next two weeks. I won't have time to do any of it next weekend, as I will be building the egg carton spaceship. Last time I built it, it took a good 8-10 hours. That was back in 2020. I had better knees. lol I am thinking that I might build the first few rows of egg cartons with the cardboard "floor"on my dining room table, then transfer it to the living room before it gets too large to move.

I will be starting the squat challenge tomorrow. I will alternating between a sumo squat, a basic squat, and a plie squat. Those are the easiest on my knees.

I am learning how to listen and not try to fix things for my DH. He has told me before that he is just venting (usually over his health/chronic pain) and he isn't saying that he needs to go to the doctor or he doesn't need me to "fix" anything. So, I have been consciously trying to be attentive, make eye contact and just listen. This morning he got angry at my face. lol I guess I had a look of disbelief. ??? I assured him that I believe him and was listening, but tbh, I was also trying to problem solve as I listened. That could explain the look. I try. It is a work in progress.

This has been the first week this month that I didn't lose any weight. I have also had lower back pain and ultra sensitive nipples, which tells me it is most likely my "week" even though I no longer get my period. I still seem to get the symptoms, sometimes. Next week will probably be a big drop in weight. Here's hoping!

Well, I have been off and on my computer this morning. Doing a bit of physical work, then hopping back on the laptop for paperwork. Trying not to spend too much time in one spot. I better sign off and post this before it is tomorrow. lol ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Heather- Just ordered your book! I am so happy for you and your cover pic is WONDERFUL! As for the "rogue" blank page...perhaps it was your creative subconscious, leaving a place for we, readers, to create something artistic? lol Truly so happy you have finished this trilogy. What a journey for you! <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Heather,[/b congratulations on your successful book launch.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Lanette, I keep forgetting to mention Ally’s passing. Even though you said the chickens weren’t “real” pets, I’m sure it was difficult. I do think that laying her to rest somewhere that she can be a participant in the circle of life was very appropriate.

Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to any new gals out there!

Evelyn on soggy Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    I got up and basically finished cleaning my place .
    Counters clean,and dishes done,Dan will stop and take my garbage out..
    Will have to do my pills in a bit..but thats nothing.