๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€***JANUARY 2024 WEIGHT LOSS CHALLENGE***๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Options

Replies

• AllyNorth
    AllyNorth Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot Thank you for this information! I looked into TrendWeight (I do use a fitbit) but see that I need a smart scale. My scale is not smart. Not sure if I want to invest in new equipment. (Though I do enjoy all the data.)
    @AllyNorth

Thank you for the kind words!

A personal example: My scale weight this morning was up 1.6 pounds from yesterday. Stepping back for context, it was down 1.8 pounds yesterday from the day before. I didn't believe yesterday's number. It was a very weird anomaly because I expected it to be UP from muscle repair from a strength training session. Go figure. Maybe it was glycogen? Because I had a carb craving yesterday and fed it. Even just looking at today, yesterday, and the day before, the number has dropped, but only 0.2 pounds. That's reasonable, and I don't even really believe THAT.

The weird part is that my trending weight is down 0.7 pounds over the two days, and I don't totally believe that either, but only because it incorporates the anomaly. It will level out in the coming days. I am down two pounds since last Wednesday by my weight trend, and I do actually believe that.

There's some online tools that will do the math for you. I use TrendWeight. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to enter your data on the Fitbit website if you don't use a Fitbit, and I don't. One thing I do like besides the visual appeal of the graph they present is that you can superimpose your trend from 28 days prior. This gives all users a quick view of how they compare to a month ago, and it gives women who menstruate a measure of how today's trend compares to a previous month during the same portion of the cycle.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    @mtaratoot Thank you for this information! I looked into TrendWeight (I do use a fitbit) but see that I need a smart scale. My scale is not smart. Not sure if I want to invest in new equipment. (Though I do enjoy all the data.)
    @AllyNorth

Thank you for the kind words!

A personal example: My scale weight this morning was up 1.6 pounds from yesterday. Stepping back for context, it was down 1.8 pounds yesterday from the day before. I didn't believe yesterday's number. It was a very weird anomaly because I expected it to be UP from muscle repair from a strength training session. Go figure. Maybe it was glycogen? Because I had a carb craving yesterday and fed it. Even just looking at today, yesterday, and the day before, the number has dropped, but only 0.2 pounds. That's reasonable, and I don't even really believe THAT.

The weird part is that my trending weight is down 0.7 pounds over the two days, and I don't totally believe that either, but only because it incorporates the anomaly. It will level out in the coming days. I am down two pounds since last Wednesday by my weight trend, and I do actually believe that.

There's some online tools that will do the math for you. I use TrendWeight. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to enter your data on the Fitbit website if you don't use a Fitbit, and I don't. One thing I do like besides the visual appeal of the graph they present is that you can superimpose your trend from 28 days prior. This gives all users a quick view of how they compare to a month ago, and it gives women who menstruate a measure of how today's trend compares to a previous month during the same portion of the cycle.

You absolutely do NOT need a smart scale! I don't have one. You do have to take an extra step. It's a little tiny pain in the *ocelot* but I still do it. You have to enter your daily weight manually. Visit https://www.fitbit.com/weight. I don't even HAVE a Fitbit (I use a Garmin device), and I just go there every morning and plug in the number. Over on the right side; looks like this:
    ghlctf8ik8nx.png

To get to that part of their website without going directly to it, from your Fitbit dashboard, click on "LOG," and then you'll see the tab for "Weight."

Also, I have a Google Sheets spreadsheet I'm happy to share that you can populate with your own data. I even built a graphing feature into it, but the one on Trendweight is nicer. I actually also have a different sheet for people who only want to weigh once a week, but I think to get the most benefit from a weighted moving average, you should weigh every day. Feedback is better.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,859 Member
    Options
    @AllyNorth

No, as @mtaratoot said, you do NOT need a smart scale. I use trendweight.com every single day. I just make sure that I log into my fitbit first and self report my weight. Trendweight will automatically link to it when you've got your account set up. It's so easy and so very useful.
  • Farmeress
    Farmeress Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    @takinitalloff - okay, thank you! I'll give it a whirl.
  • ronicaw57
    ronicaw57 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Female, 6 ft.
    [MFP Highest Weight: (8/20/18): 264.4]

January Start Weight: 166
    January Goal Weight: 164
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 160-165 (Maintenance)

January 1: 166
    January 9: 165 (-1 lb)
    January 16: 164 (-1 lb)
    January 25: 164 (-0 lb)
    January 30: 163 (-1 lb)

January Total Weight Loss = -3 lbs
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    @ronicaw57 You are more than 100 lbs down! What an achievement, congratulations!
  • jlwalker6
    jlwalker6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @jlwalker6 Congrats on entering a new (weight) decade! I hope your hip feels better soon, that sounds painful. Glad your Fitbit is back in proper working order and that your sense of humor is intact ๐Ÿ˜

Thank you! My hip is doing MUCH better :) Now let's see if I can figure out how to keep from doing that again on roller skates. Lol
  • jlwalker6
    jlwalker6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    January Start Weight: 265.4
    January Goal Weight: 261
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 185
    January 1: 265.4
    January 8: 260.2. Not sure how that happened, but it's very encouraging! I must have been retaining some water somewhere because I was eating at maintenance trying to heal from being sick--craving lots and lots of oranges. At my goal for my HealthyWage challenge so i need to keep it up for the official weigh in. I plan to buy myself some roller skates with the prize money. I used to love skating as a kid; you couldn't keep me off the skating rink or out of the swimming pool if there was one nearby. Weird how when we get older we forget about things that brought joy and excitement to our lives. I didn't make resolutions this year, but as I have entered my forties, i have decided to prioritize my own health, mental health, and happiness. With roller skates :) See you all next week--lots of love!

January 15: 260--been really hungry the last few days. I wish there was a way to track that on Fitbit the way you can track mood and look at the trends like in the menstrual health section (hint hint, Fitbit developers who may be reading this)

January 22: 259.8 and grateful that the ice has melted and my Fitbit no linger thinks I'm dead. I tried taking the trash out, my legs flew out from under me on my first step off the porch and I strained my hip muscle. ๐Ÿซ  I just learned that there are things you can put over your shoes to stop that from happening. lol
    January 29: 260.2. I finished my HealthyWage challenge and won the $500! Ordered my roller skates and gear (Sure Grip Fames in pink with Oasis wheels, Moxi Thick knee and elbow pads and Triple 8 certified sweatsaver helmet, if anyone is interested in that stuff. Also some fun rainbow laces. ๐ŸŒˆ Pumped about getting some Fundae wheels for my birthday also :))). I haven't been this excited about anything in a while--definitely going to do another HealthyWage bet (as soon as my celebratory pancakes settle). Money is a WAY better motivator for me than a nebulous idea of future health. A meteor could land on me tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜‚ Give me the money so i can have fun NOW!

January 31:
  • v1832155
    v1832155 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In Nov, I started at 160 lbs.

January Start Weight: 159.5
    January Goal Weight: 157
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 145

January 1: 159.5
    January 8: 158
    January 15: 158.5