What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• MachOne4
    MachOne4 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    wheels1872 wrote: »
    Push outside in my wheelchair

Well done Wheels1872. We all do whatever we can. And it all counts buddy.

:)
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yoga this morning and boxing class this evening.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,209 Member
    Options
    After I walked downtown to get mail, I went down to the disc golf course to play a round. I did it "speed golf" style. I don't really have a baseline for Speed Golf yet, but maybe today is my "par." The idea is to time your round. Then next time you play, you have to add a stroke for every minute slower or take a stroke off for every minute faster. I'm setting myself up for failure because two groups let me play through which means I was faster than if I had to wait. Getting behind other groups will slow me down in the future. This time of year, there's fewer people, especially mid-day on a weekday. It used to be Tuesdays weren't good to go for my local course because they had a weekly tournament. The moved that to Saturday. My time for the round was right at 60 minutes.

It was warm enough I <gasp> wore shorts. It wasn't as warm as a couple days ago, but I just wanted to wear them. I was quite the fashion statement with my shorts, knee-high neoprene muck boots (there's water on the course, and I want my discs back if I throw one in), and a warm hat & raincoat.

I was 13 over par. Clearly I'm not that good of a player, but I still enjoy myself. There are still some trees standing after the ice storm. While I didn't hit every single one.... I did hit quite a few.

I want to go play some other courses, but this one is just so close it's super easy. There's another course not too far away, but it's currently underwater as the river is up. Another one that's a really challenging and diverse course should not be played alone unless you like losing discs. Spotters required. There's another one not far away that I should head out and play soon. I could even bike if I really want. It's about ten miles, but there's an off-street path most of the way and bike lanes where there's not a path.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    Lower Power

Rack Pull 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 5x5
    One-Leg Press 5x5 <superset> Leg Press Calf Extend 5x15
    Roman Chair Knee-Ups 4x20

Knee was grumpy over the weekend, so wasn't sure how my first leg day of the week would go. Turns out just fine, since by the time I got to anything involving deep knee bends (leg press) my joints were warmed up enough to be good to go. Friday's squat session starting off the second leg day may be different, but I've got three days to recover before then, so here's hoping.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

I got four trees complete - the Bartlett pear, the Chojuro Asian pear, the Stella dark red cherry, and the Italian Prune plum. . . to go ahead and do annual maintenance on the raspberries. Last years primacanes and the excess of last year's floracanes (this year's primacanes) are in a pile at the end of the row. I still have to get to the grapes and the blueberries as well as a few shrubs and, if I want, the flowering cherry. The flowering cherry can wait until after the bloom is done, and now that I think about it, I will start bringing branches inside to force in about a week or so.

I would so enjoy seeing a picture of your orchard!
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    Sunday was a day off exercise, so I did a 10 mile walk around Frensham Little Pond.

In my world, a 10 mile walk is definitely exercise! The picture was beautiful--thanks for sharing.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Today featured 62 degree F weather and sunny skies, so hubs and I walked our dog for 45 min. outside on the trail near our house that leads to a recently-opened kayak park.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    5 mile treadmill 🏃🏾.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    edited January 31
    Options
    Rowing machine, 3 x 2k with 2' easy row/drink in between, 3' CD. Negligible Z4, mostly Z3, 2:30.1 pace and 20 spm average on the pieces. 7050m overall.

After that, another dumbbell mostly-push circuit, very slow and still light, but slightly heavier light.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    City men's league basketball game yesterday so took a day off lifting.

Today was a push day.

3x10 DB bench
    3x10 DB Incline Bench
    3x15 machine flys
    3x12 tricep pushdowns
    3x12 DB lateral raise
  • DiscusTank5
    Options

I got four trees complete - the Bartlett pear, the Chojuro Asian pear, the Stella dark red cherry, and the Italian Prune plum. . . to go ahead and do annual maintenance on the raspberries. Last years primacanes and the excess of last year's floracanes (this year's primacanes) are in a pile at the end of the row. I still have to get to the grapes and the blueberries as well as a few shrubs and, if I want, the flowering cherry. The flowering cherry can wait until after the bloom is done, and now that I think about it, I will start bringing branches inside to force in about a week or so.

There's only three trees in what I'd call an "orchard."

Looking through some old posts here, I found a few fruity pictures:

In this one, the blooms are past their prime, and it's overcast.

Thank you for sharing those! Cherries from your own garden = swoon.
  • mtaratoot
    Options

There's only three trees in what I'd call an "orchard."

Looking through some old posts here, I found a few fruity pictures:

In this one, the blooms are past their prime, and it's overcast.

Thank you for sharing those! Cherries from your own garden = swoon.

If I get them. That year was an anomaly. Some years the wet spring means none fruit - the bees just aren't out when the flowers are open. Other years the birds get more than their share. I told the birds once that they could have the ones up high and I would take the ones down low. They didn't honor their part, so I made the tree shorter and try to shoo 'em off.

Then lately we have an invasive insect called the Spotted Wing Drosophila (Drosophila suzukii). Unlike most fruit flies who go for rotting or overripe fruit, this evil little *kitten* goes after unripe fruit. When I pick cherries, they usually have a little hole in them. I have to eat them or process them in the food deyhdrator or something within a day or two or they are nasty mush.

One fun thing is to stuff jars full of cherries. All that will fit. Seeds and stems and everything. Then pour in some brandy. Not the good stuff, but not super-cheap. Then put it in a cool dark place for six months. In winter, you can take out a jar, drain the brandy (now cherry brandy), get the fruit as dry as possible, and dip in melted chocolate. The chocolate gives just enough sweetness. Some people use sugar in the brandy - not me. They will last for a few years in the jars. Last year I pitted some. I never got around to dipping them yet. I probably should do that. Everybody loves them. They make great gifts.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Customary hump day 10k.
    miyxswgn7133.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    edited February 1
    Options
    Back to the gym today.

I took the suggestions I got from @nossmf to heart. I'm sure it's beneficial.

First I walked downtown, stopped at the post office, then met a friend at a coffee shop that doesn't actually serve coffee. I won't go in to that. Walked home, did a few things, and went to the gym instead of the disc golf course.

I added a third set to all my movements. At first I thought I might just add it to some, but I just went ahead and took the time to do 'em all. My goal was 15 reps per set. I added some weight on the second and/or third if those 15 were pretty easy. Some movements just kept the same weight the whole time, and even then I couldn't get 15 reps on the second and/or third set. The day consisted of:
    • Ten minute warmup on treadmill at fast walk pace.
    • Deadlift on Freemotion machine - Started at the middle weight from last visit, then increased on second set and again on third set. Completed all reps.
    • Goblet squats - Started with the same weight from my last visit, and increased weight on third set and completed all reps.
    • Dumbbell lunges - Increased weight on third set and completed all reps.
    • Chest press machine - Dialed the weight down just a bit from last visit. Could not quite complete all reps on third set.
    • Seated row - Started where I left off last visit, increased weight on second set and again on third set. Did not complete reps on third set.
    • Pec fly machine - Same weight as last visit, only was able to complete 11 reps on the second set and 7 on the third.
    • Lat pull machine - Started where I left off last visit, increased weight on second set. Did not complete reps second or third set.
    • Dumbbell curl to overhead press - Started where I left off last visit, increased weight on the third set. I was able (barely) to complete all reps.
    • Triceps press on cable machine - Started where I left off last visit, increased weight on the third set. Completed all reps.
    • Lat raise machine. Same weight as last visit. Unable to complete reps on second or third set.
    • Cool down 15 minutes on treadmill.
    • Two sets in the sauna - 18 minutes and 9 minutes with a shave and shower in between.

Adding the third set extended my time on the floor by only 15 minutes. I'm usually resting only 60 seconds between sets. I'm skipping the rest between curls and triceps pull-down because the area I do them is so close together, and they are complimentary.

I felt good after I was done. I am curious how I'll feel tomorrow. I think that even though I pushed myself some, I didn't push so hard I'll be uncomfortable. I'll find out in the morning.

Tomorrow I'm going to meet a friend to celebrate his first day of retirement, and I hope he'll want to go for a six mile loop hike up to a peak that's near his house. It's all on forest ROADS, not trails, so it should be clear. It will be weeks or more likely months before all the trails are cleaned up from the ice storm from a couple weeks ago.

Comments/feedback/ideas welcome.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike day, the standard 15k + 3' cool down, took about 40 minutes. Moderate intensity at 109W average including the CD, 70% Z3, 25 whole seconds Z4, remainder below.

Steady state charts look boring.
    7ixo7d1sxu8i.png
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Climbing, 3 hours.

Good fun. I was stronger than normal. I was good at thuggy, strength based climbs; normally I find them hard, but they've been easier the last few sessions.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 3x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • nossmf
    Options
    @mtaratoot I enjoyed reading your account, think everything looks good. Two minor suggestions:

First, instead of having a hard-rep goal, set a rep-range. For example, instead of "15 reps or bust" where you feel bad if you don't reach target, use "12-15". If you can get 12 reps, keep the weight the same for your next set. If you fail to get 12 reps, drop weight slightly (5-10%) for the next set. If you get 15 for every set, mark your log with a star or plus sign. If you again get 15 the next time you do the same workout, then you are ready to increase the weight for the third workout. Keep changes small...5 lbs for upper body, 10 lbs for lower body. (If you have fractional plates of the 2.5 lb variety, they can be used instead, especially when you start to get heavy.)

Second, some days you will feel like an animal, and the weights feel easy. Other days the exact same weight you know you did last time will feel like a ton of lead. For this reason, any given workout I allow myself to drop the weight used 10-25%, no questions asked, no feeling bad...it was just a day I didn't have "it" in me; next time I may be back to normal again. I will, however, add a small minus sign next to my log notes. If I have to drop the weight in consecutive workouts, I may not have been ready to go to that weight, and will permanently lower my goal weight until I can again earn it back up (see above paragraph how to do that). (Note: by "consecutive workouts" I mean having to lower the weight on the same movement...lowering bench press today and squat tomorrow doesn't trigger, but lowering squats this week and next does.)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Much thanks another time @nossmf

We for sure have extra small plates we can stack on top of the stacks inside most of the machines. I've been doing that for the triceps pull-down because I was wanting 35 pounds and the plates went from 30 to 42.5 pounds. I took the five-pound weight off when I moved up for my third set.

My goal is 15 reps, but I'm find with 12 to 15 any day. I did actually dial down weight on one movement for the reason you suggested. I don't feel bad if I can't get to 15 reps, but that's my goal, and I do strive to hit that. If I leave the weight for another set and only get eight reps? I'm fine with that. It's still doing me some good.

The two bits of good news this morning:
    • I know I'm doing better than probably most people my age with respect to giving a spit about my health and fitness. I know that even if I can't get to my goals for a strength workout on any given day, I'm still progressing. For sure I'm not regressing. I think the past month has got me closer to where I was when I left the gym last spring/summer for my active season. I think I may just stick around at a lower volume this year instead of stopping.
    • I can mostly tell that I moved some stuff yesterday, but I am not the least bit SORE. I'm hoping my friend who has his first day of retirement today will still want to go for a six mile hike up a local peak near his home to celebrate.

Another odd observation is that I expect the scale to go up after a strength workout. I assume that my body is repairing the "damage" I did and building back better. The last two times I did a strength workout and was even moving up weights and/or reps (and this time sets), the scale has dropped as has my body fat percent. Could just be random noise.

I'm sticking to it.