What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Getting the itch to return to regular activities. Will meet with my favorite personal trainer this evening to put together a plan for the offseason.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Rowed just under 8k in bow of the quad. Hit a rock. On the bank. 100% my fault: Rock wasn't navigating.

Walked just under 6 miles, or maybe I should say ambled (3.1mph moving average), because I stopped to take photos of all kinds of fungus, leaves, bark, patterns, moss, and more.

This evening, supervised open rowing, which is not a workout, but it added a few thousand extra steps carrying boats and such, and put me well over 20,000 steps for the day: Not bad for someone who's normally sedentary (like 2-3000 steps daily) in the offseason.

That rock, though. That's strike 3 for the season. 🤬😢🙄😬🤬 No one else wants to bow. Thinking I should abdicate.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    Options
    Day 24 EPIC I (full body workout / supersets)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Yesterday I managed to get two workouts in, which is rare.

At noon, since I was home alone (BF at the office) I ran 3km on the treadmill (23 minutes). Not the greatest run, had to do a walking interval.

And then before dinner I did some strength training:
    Landmine deadlift 4 sets
    Barbell bench press 3 sets
    Cable lat pull-down 2 sets
    Barbell shoulder press 2 sets
    Cable rows 2 sets
    I'm barely making progress, not surprising since I'm not training regularly enough and my program likely isn't the best either. I really should try and put something better together.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    Options
    Today was a cardio-only day, first time in several months (I've been diligent about keeping up with my lifting, but cardio has suffered of late). Elliptical machine to the heart-rescue!
  • Lietchi
    edited October 2021
    Options
    A long treadmill run today, 9.25km in 1h11min. Great run, no walking breaks and I probably could have continued for another few kilometers. Funny how 7.8kph was a good speed for a long run today, but yesterday I needed walking breaks at 8kph, barely faster.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Easy 35 minute trail run at lunch. Slow paced run, just enjoying perfect fall weather.

I'm very excited to resume working with my personal trainer next week. She is very disciplined in her approach and always gives me the "naked truth", often very bluntly.

Yesterday, after looking at my notes, plus an RD's eating plan that we've both used in the past, she said: "I have Good news and Bad news. The Good news is I can easily and gladly provide as much challenging work as you can handle, leading to the results you are looking for. " (I know she will)

Then, she tapped her finger on my proposed eating plan and said: "The Bad news is that you'll never reach your weight reduction goal unless you are "all in". So, my rule is that we don't start any training until you promise me that your head is 100% in the game, including food prep and logging. Am I right?"

As usual, she is dead right.

• dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Morning bootcamp.. evening planning on some stretching or yoga...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yoga and jumprope. Broke out the weighted ropes today. Fired up my shoulders...
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Day 26 EPIC I (full body strength workout - complexes) & 20 min abs workout (Caroline Girvan)
  • dethstar77
    dethstar77 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Ran 10K in the morning... thinking about doing some stretching Yoga tonight
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I walked 2 miles at lunch.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Jumped on the bike for an hour after work and got in a 16 mile ride. Losing daylight quickly, so evening rides are shorter.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Skipped yesterday. Still not feeling 100% from my dental surgery. Slowly getting better.

Did 7K today on the rower. Brisker than normal steady state but not fast.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Rowed 6779m in THREE SEAT of the quad. One of my fellow rowers, bless her, volunteered to learn to bow. (She asked that I sit in front of her . . . well, one seat stern-ward . . . so I could give her suggestions, which I was happy to do.)

It was so! luxurious! to be able to focus on my own technique almost totally. (Usually, when in bow, watching, steering, and calling changes takes up a lot of mental bandwidth.)

I think I maybe even had an insight on something that's been bugging me for *multiple seasons*: My puddles** are unusually turbulent, frothy. Why, I've been wondering? I think I have a theory now, and something to work on to confirm or invalidate it. Yaaay!

** Puddles: Visualize that you place your oar in the water, pry the boat past the oar (not so much pull the oar through the water next to the boat - oar stays close to same spot WRT bank). The force of the oar tends to build up water on the oar face (stern-ward side), and create a bit of a valley on the bow-ward side of the oar. That valley or concavity behind the oar is the "puddle".

Deep and smooth puddles would be good, an evidence of strong, smooth power application. Mine have been turbulent or frothy instead of smooth - potentially a power application problem. It's been vexing me. I noticed today that left (starboard . . . yes, really, because we're going backwards) is smoother, right (port) is more frothy. In sculling, in US rowing, the left hand sits a little sternward and a little above the right hand. I think my hands are just a tiny bit off, so the left hand is perturbing the right one, making the right blade move up and down in the water.

Maybe I can improve this! Yay!

ETA: Yes, I am 100% geeking out here . . . ! 😆
  • Lietchi
    Options
    No workout yesterday, but I managed to get 11k steps in.

Today some strength training:
    3 sets landmine deadlifts
    2 sets barbell bench press
    2 sets cable lat pull-down
    2 sets barbell shoulder press
    2 sets Bulgarian split squats
    2 sets cable rows
    2 sets dumbell side raises
    And then some hanging exercises, trying to build up to pull-ups
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Did another brisker than I usually do row today. 6K, then 4K more after a brief break. Even did 1K unstrapped. I used to do most of my work, years ago, unstrapped. It's more of a struggle now for some reason -- likely my hands aren't as fast as they should be on the return. Not sure. Either that or my core isn't what it used to be.

Regardless, planning on doing more strapless work this Fall, Winter and Spring. Even if it's not perfect, it assists with form and teaches you not to waste momentum (only rowers will likely get what I'm saying).

I don't know if it's been the days off or I'm finally feeling the effects of the strength training at the gym, but my muscles aren't really fatiguing nearly as quick. I'm rowing at mid and even low 2:20 paces and feeling strong and fresh, even after 40/50 minutes. Progress? I dunno, but for now it feels good. Maybe just the fact that it's 20 degrees cooler!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yoga...
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @Ann, yes, you are geeking out here, lol! Good stuff. I now know that I want deep, smooth puddles when I row!

I met two friends for an uncharted trail run for about an hour today in a local wildlife management area. Foliage is nearing its peak around us, so the woods were glowing at sunset. Only saw two MTB riders during the whole run.

Think its time to get back in the pool tomorrow.