What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Was it a bit discouraging to be so slow after doing a triathlon several months ago? Yes--but I'm not going to stop.

And THAT is the spirit that allows you to complete triathlons in the first place!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    prduk2000 wrote: »
    I am restricted in time as I work 9-5 and not social hours. To ensure consistency I am following a triathlon plan with Trainerroad. If I don't die during any of the sessions I will let you know how I am getting on. Best wishes to everyone.

Welcome to the group. Great idea to follow a training plan. I've used Trainerroad's cycling workouts in the past and found them very helpful. You will get definitely stronger on the bike if you simply follow their plans for the duration of the program. How long is the program you're following? (12 weeks?)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I got back to the gym today for the first time since my colon cancer diagnosis on Dec. 19th (and surgery the 21st). I walked on the treadmill for just over half an hour at 3.0 mph. Was it a bit discouraging to be so slow after doing a triathlon several months ago? Yes--but I'm not going to stop.

DiscusTank5, So sorry to hear of your health issue, but so glad to have you back! Don't worry at all about a slow start. Plenty of time to regain strength and come back better than ever. Looking forward to updates as you resume training. I'm guessing that by the spring, you'll want to put a race on the calendar as a motivatonal tool. Again, welcome back!

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    I sneaked in a five-mile walk before the next batch of freezing rain hit. It was still slick outside, but it's going to get much worse before it gets better. It resembled a hockey rink in places. This looks like the frozen surface of a lake, pond, or stream, but it's actually glare ice on a road:

5yg02p9opotf.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    @DiscusTank5, welcome back (from one cancer survivor to another)! Re-starting gradually is hard, but a good plan. Wishing you speedy progress - sensibly speedy, of course. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Stationary bike, 15k + 3' CD again, took 39 minutes and change, 111W average over the whole thing, 75% Z3, remainder below. Followed with 3 sets of 15 cautious body bar squats to a low stool (because of the funky knees and a historical tendency to tip backwards when squatting :grimace: ), some dead hangs, and a couple of chin-up negatives (s*cky ones).
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Half an hour of ankle, calf and hip physio, followed by half an hour of upper body and core work to balance things out.

Then, at lunchtime, a 7km jog through my local woods that went repeatedly up and down the steepest slopes. My Samsung health app reckons I did over 1,000 ft of ascent, and while I think that’s an overestimate, I don’t think it’s much of one. I even got up the really steep, eroded path without dropping into a walk; admittedly I was virtually jogging on the spot at times, but I’m still proud.

Ow. My legs hurt.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I did another 5.05 mile walk today on a slightly different route. It was much warmer. There was precipitation, and it was not frozen as it was falling. The inundation on the river path was mostly gone. Where there had been water there was instead odd sheets of ice hanging off trees seemingly defying gravity. Lots of down trees to climb over.

The melt-off has started a bit, and it's about to start in earnest. I may awake to mostly clear streets. The news says this is the worst ice storm we've had in 30 years.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @DiscusTank5, welcome back (from one cancer survivor to another)! Re-starting gradually is hard, but a good plan. Wishing you speedy progress - sensibly speedy, of course. :flowerforyou:

Thank you so much, Ann! I went to the gym again today with the hubs and our kids because it was yet another snow day here in NW Arkansas. I walked for about 20 minutes but felt a little dizzy. Hard to admit that even at that low level of working out, I may have been over-doing it. Probably will skip the gym tomorrow in favor of lounging around the house / taking a nap.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I sneaked in a five-mile walk before the next batch of freezing rain hit. It was still slick outside, but it's going to get much worse before it gets better. It resembled a hockey rink in places. This looks like the frozen surface of a lake, pond, or stream, but it's actually glare ice on a road:

5yg02p9opotf.jpg

Wow! I've never seen that IRL.
  • DiscusTank5
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    [quote="

DiscusTank5, So sorry to hear of your health issue, but so glad to have you back! Don't worry at all about a slow start. Plenty of time to regain strength and come back better than ever. Looking forward to updates as you resume training. I'm guessing that by the spring, you'll want to put a race on the calendar as a motivatonal tool. Again, welcome back!

Thank you so much, Djproulx!! I am glad to be back and on this side of the surgery. I admit to thinking about a late May / June tri. The thing is, I've got to see how my body handles those stinkin' chemo pills before I start training.

I miss my bike but really don't want to risk a fall and another hospital trip. And TBH, January is not really the month for out-of-doors biking anyway. So I'm waiting (sort of) patiently.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 3x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Lazy day: Casual walk with a friend . . . indoors, because it's still cold and sloppy here. Then a really short stationary bike ride because of needing more days with meters for my current C2 challenge, but I was tired.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Short walk. Just 5K. Reverse direction of what I've been doing. I had to backtrack several times on the river path when I ran in to inundation. There's several little trails linking the river path to the path that's above it. I just had to turn around, go back to one of those, walk up, then go back down the next one and continue on the river path until I had to turn back around. The river is coming up. It's forecast to come up about two more feet before sunrise to the "Action Level." It will rise from about 48,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) now to about 57,400 cfs tomorrow.

I stopped a few times to enjoy the scenery, and once to peel off some moss-covered bark from a tree that had fallen into the path that was covered with licorice fern. I brought it back and will find a place to encourage it to grow here.

I didn't make it to the gym. I did get the ice off my car and went to buy produce. The main roads were clear, but all the folks that have been holed up were out driving poorly, so I just decided to get home. I'm planning to go relatively early (for me) tomorrow before I meet a friend who's coming over the Cascades where he moved to for the weekend. We'll go walk down at the south end of the park beyond where I've been walking this week. Right past there is a steep hill, and that wasn't going to happen in the ice. We'll walk out to the City Limit. If we want to go farther, we can do some short loops in the park. The lack of elevation gain will be easy for him; he's not in great shape. Also, I know we won't have to fight the mud like out on some other trails, nor will we have to climb over, under, and through down trees.

Tomorr
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    My main workout was last night... I did barbell bench press, deadlifts, leg press, leg extensions, seated leg curls, and assisted pull ups and dips.

Tonight I'll do 30 mins on the exercise bike. :)
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x15
    Roman Chair Knee-Ups 4x15
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    A walk (about four miles over an hour and a half) AND a leisurely bike ride (about eight miles in about 55 minutes) to check out all the flooding in the area.

63xf5oc05z3n.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I have to admit, I'm struggling a bit with fatigue lately. I think it's some combination of trying to slightly increase total exercise, my ongoing (permanent) sleep problems, and maybe a bit of SAD.

Today, I probably should've rowed, but I stationary biked again, and at a slightly reduced intensity (106W average) for 15k with the usual 3' CD. It's better than doing nothing. I need to get in some more strength exercise this week, but I wasn't feeling it today. I'm slipping. :grimace:
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @AnnPT77

Take care of yourself. Get some rest if you need it. Maybe your body is fighting something, and not just dealing with these dark days. You might not even notice if it's doing a good job. Feed it well and read a good book.

Something more intense would have been good for me too, but the sun was out. I take advantage of that when I can, and holy cats I've noticed last winter and this winter that my seasonal funk is so much less intense now. It's partially the ability to just get outside, and also (I think) the elimination of the stress of suffering fools (but not gladly).
  • MujerVieja72
    MujerVieja72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So what I do is just try to stay active all day long as I've been reading that too many hours of sitting is just not good for a person in many ways.

I try to get up and do random spurts of indoor walking all throughout the day.. some dumbbell exercises as well as different arm circle type exercise in 2 minutes intervals.

Just basic stuff that I do on a contium.