GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    Bench is often a disappointment for me. I'm trying to tweak my form (keeping powerlifting in mind) and still don't see much in the way of gains. Last night I was doing sets at 95% of 1rm. Even though my current bench 1rm is 125, I have been using 130 for my calcs. So I guess 3 sets of 2 isn't bad.

Still, I'm not sure if I'll get 130 (even though I reeeeaaaallly want 135!)

Overall the set went well. The weight moved quite nicely and I feel like I'm back to where I was when I left off... If not a little stronger.

I envy you men and your impressive bench numbers! You all rock!

9ioun5zynf18.gif

Well i envy those leggings and squat depth!
    And from the back, it looks heartshaped in the middle?
    Is this your Valentine gif(t) to us Sandy?

Haha yes. It was my Valentine's day outfit. I rarely wear those tights out because they draw waaaaaay too much attention to my... Errr... Squat depth. Lmao. I paired them with my relationship status shirt for the perfect outfit!

Of course... Noone at the gym said anything because I haven't made any friends yet. (too shy) hahah

d0t4eo7keule.jpg

So... Happy Valentine's Day! ❤️
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    For the past two years I’ve focused on incline presses vs flat. Wanted to see where I stand on flat press. This weight (295) moved slower than I’d like. I took the negative too slow for sure. I enjoy reading y’all’s posts in here.

I'm striving to work up towards that lift, and you simply, on a whim, decide to toss it up without a spotter because you're that confident you could do it??? Way to make the rest of us feel weak, my man! lol
    And from the back, it looks heart shaped in the middle?

I thought the same, but wasn't brave enough to be the first to put it in writing, lol.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,101 Member
    Options
    I mentioned last week I would likely change up my incline bench press due to shoulder discomfort using the 45 degree station at my gym. I setup a variable bench (set to 30 degrees) in front of an adjustable squat rack and worked rapidly through my warmup sets no problem. Got ready for my first working set at 185, and immediately two facts presented themselves:

1. ZERO shoulder discomfort whatsoever
    2. The weight which I had to strive to finish my reps last week felt positively light, so light that I increased the weight on each of my other two working sets (205, 225) and still banged out all my reps

I understand the physics and biomechanical advantage of different angles allowing better muscular leverage, all the science. But all the science doesn't prepare you for the degree of improvement encountered. Kicking myself for not making this change weeks ago when I first thought of it!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Bench is often a disappointment for me. I'm trying to tweak my form (keeping powerlifting in mind) and still don't see much in the way of gains. Last night I was doing sets at 95% of 1rm. Even though my current bench 1rm is 125, I have been using 130 for my calcs. So I guess 3 sets of 2 isn't bad.

Overall the set went well. The weight moved quite nicely and I feel like I'm back to where I was when I left off... If not a little stronger.

9ioun5zynf18.gif

Well i envy those leggings and squat depth!
    And from the back, it looks heartshaped in the middle?

Haha yes. It was my Valentine's day outfit. I rarely wear those tights out because they draw waaaaaay too much attention to my... Errr... Squat depth. Lmao. I paired them with my relationship status shirt for the perfect outfit!

Of course... Noone at the gym said anything because I haven't made any friends yet. (too shy) hahah

d0t4eo7keule.jpg

So... Happy Valentine's Day! ❤️

Love it! My daughter said she loves your shirt
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options

9ioun5zynf18.gif

Great lifts! I think your bench form looks good here.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    For the past two years I’ve focused on incline presses vs flat. Wanted to see where I stand on flat press. This weight (295) moved slower than I’d like. I took the negative too slow for sure. I enjoy reading y’all’s posts in here.

I'm striving to work up towards that lift, and you simply, on a whim, decide to toss it up without a spotter because you're that confident you could do it??? Way to make the rest of us feel weak, my man! lol
    And from the back, it looks heart shaped in the middle?

I thought the same, but wasn't brave enough to be the first to put it in writing, lol.

Yes I did do that lift that on a whim. It was at the beginning of my push workout for the day. I actually expected that weight to be a bit easier. I have been focusing on incline press for some of the same reasons you mention in a later post in this thread. Chest muscle and shoulders joints both feel better with a slight incline for me. My weight is slightly higher on the incline press and wanted to see how much would transfer over to the flat press.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    edited February 16
    Options
    How is it possible that you are stronger on a incline bench compared to a flat bench?
    My incline is about 70% of my flat...

My legs are still sore from Wednesday, but still stoked about my new PR

Well today i am going to test my 1RM on bench.
    Goal is 72kg which would mean a increase of 4 kg.

But frankly, i take everything above 70kg. Feel kinda scared on doing the 1RM on bench, because i feel like my body is weaker there compared to 14 weeks ago, dunno what it is, just feels that way.

Got my microplates with me, so i can increase by 0,25kg as well

Plan right now
    Warmup 10x20 (BB)
    10x45
    6x55
    3x60
    1x68 (current PR)
    1x70

And after that, i will have to see. Depending on how it moves (or doesn't)
    If i fail at some point, i allow myself to try for a second and third time. After that, the previous weight is a 1RM if i still fail
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    How is it possible that you are stronger on a incline bench compared to a flat bench?

But frankly, i take everything above 70kg. Feel kinda scared on doing the 1RM on bench, because i feel like my body is weaker there compared to 14 weeks ago, dunno what it is, just feels that way.

Plan right now
    Warmup 10x20 (BB)
    10x45
    6x55
    3x60
    1x68 (current PR)
    1x70

If i fail at some point, i allow myself to try for a second and third time. After that, the previous weight is a 1RM if i still fail

Gus, I’m sure it’s simply due to having a pec minor focused routine for so long. I had a slight pec tear in 2021 and a complete AC joint separation in my right shoulder from the police academy in ‘03 so a slight incline on the bench feels better on my shoulder. I also feel a pec minor focused routine creates a more aesthetic chest for me.

Sounds like a solid plan. If you’re shooting for the 1RM PR and this plan doesn’t get you there, you may want to try going for it first after you’re sufficiently warmed up.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options

Plan right now
    Warmup 10x20 (BB)
    10x45
    6x55
    3x60
    1x68 (current PR)
    1x70

I always struggle with finding that perfect ramp up for testing 1RMs. I have done a bunch of googling and asking of friends and this is what they tend to recommend:
    6-10 reps @ 50%
    3 reps @ 80%
    1 rep @ 85%
    1 rep @ 90%
    1 rep @ 95%
    1 rep @ 100%
    1 rep @105%

But IDK if that has done me any favours with my bench tests.

I tend to start all my lifts with 10x65lb (50%) and 5x95 (73%) and then I wing the rest LOL. (When your bench is so low, the increases are pretty minimal. :-P)

according to the above "plan" my 1rm tests for bench should be:
    10x65
    3x105
    1x110
    1x115 (well 117, but I don't have micros)
    1x125
    1x130 (100%)
    1x135

I might be inclined to add another set in between the first and second for more warm up.

TLDR... I have no idea what I'm doing and am open for suggestions! LOL
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon people

The good news is, i got a new PR
    I started like i said, warmup 10x20 (BB), 10x45, 6x55, 3x60

After that, i first went for my previous 1RM, 68
    See below
    u5janvwuyhp5.gif
    I noticed when looking back, that i moved the weight forward a lot, so tried to focus on not doing that for next one

Next was 70kg
    ue5r5zrrctw9.gif

This felt and looked much better than the 68, so already had my new PR

Since it moved pretty good, i thought of shooting for that 72kg right away
    c1vt64dm737q.gif

It doesn't look very clean, and i struggled a lot, and felt like it took an hour to push it up, but i got it up!

Then wanted to try 74kg.
    First try, i could not even unrack it, because it was too low (you can see i have long arms, so unracking it, would mean to get it pretty high up already.
    So i adjusted the rack 1 notch higher and tried again

546jlmx920l4.gif

Big fail on that one!

Rested for almost 6 minuts, to give it one more try

wvnfgts6robn.gif
    I thought i almost had it, but unfortunatly not

Wanted to try 1kg lighter for 1 more try

So here is 73kg
    927bcykwjr33.gif

I was close, so freaking close, but again had to bail

Still 72kg as new 1RM and a increase of 4kg

My elbow did start to hurt after that 72kg, so that might have something to do with it as well, but overall i am pleased!

• KickassAmazon76
    edited February 16
    Options
    Good afternoon people

See below
    u5janvwuyhp5.gif
    I noticed when looking back, that i moved the weight forward a lot, so tried to focus on not doing that for next one

Next was 70kg
    ue5r5zrrctw9.gif

c1vt64dm737q.gif

It doesn't look very clean, and i struggled a lot, and felt like it took an hour to push it up, but i got it up!

Then wanted to try 74kg.
    First try, i could not even unrack it, because it was too low (you can see i have long arms, so unracking it, would mean to get it pretty high up already.

546jlmx920l4.gif

Big fail on that one!

wvnfgts6robn.gif

So here is 73kg
    927bcykwjr33.gif

My elbow did start to hurt after that 72kg, so that might have something to do with it as well, but overall i am pleased!

Firstly... CONGRATS ON THE NEW PR!!!

It does seem like the ones where you touchdown lower on your sternum might be pulling you out of your upper body lock, so then you have to fight harder with lower pec muscles than you normally bench (not sure if I said that in a way that makes sense)... to rephrase - the lifts where you touch your chest a bit higher up seem to be a lot more stable, controlled and powerful.

Given that you are doing your maximum, there will always be some form breakdown, so the rep where you met your PR looks REALLY good to me! You fought and pushed and I am pretty sure it'd be a 3 white light rep in a comp, so again, CONGRATULATIONS!! (eta... except for the fact that comps make you wait at the bottom for an eternity - they're sadists that way)

It's hard to celebrate the PR when you wanted to go higher, so please don't beat yourself up on your "almost there" reps. You'll be hitting those VERY soon.

Great work Gus! You're killing it!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Good afternoon people

See below
    u5janvwuyhp5.gif

Next was 70kg
    ue5r5zrrctw9.gif

c1vt64dm737q.gif

Then wanted to try 74kg.

546jlmx920l4.gif

Big fail on that one!

wvnfgts6robn.gif

So here is 73kg
    927bcykwjr33.gif

Congrats on the new PR Gus. Love the effort on the 74 and 73 kg lifts.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I also feel a pec minor focused routine creates a more aesthetic chest for me.

I feel the same about incline vs. flat; I get way better pec activation with inclines but my shoulders are the inverse to yours. If I do heavy barbell inclines or OHP my shoulders complain so I stick to dumbbells for those. I'll have to actually record some lifts one of these days instead of just lurking. I did a full re-arrange of the gym over the holidays to let the Mrs. and I workout better simultaneous so I'm not sure how filming will go with the lighting on my side of the rack.

I've also been more hypertrophy focused for some time so I haven't even considered PR attempts since the fall Garage Gym Comp. May will be here before I know it though. I'm getting towards the end of my winter bulk. Trend weight is up to 180.9 lbs compared to 171.3 on Thanksgiving and starting to feel uncomfortable. Unsure how much further I take it. I'm scheduled for a deload next week and have a short work trip to Denver so I may shift to maintenance next week or the week after. I've also never been one for full on rest weeks/periods but I'm seeing/hearing a lot more about active rest periods being beneficial lately. I did basically take a whole week off when I had covid about a month ago, but that was in the middle of a meso.
  • steveko89
    Options
    Good afternoon people

See below
    u5janvwuyhp5.gif

Next was 70kg
    ue5r5zrrctw9.gif

c1vt64dm737q.gif

Then wanted to try 74kg.

546jlmx920l4.gif

Big fail on that one!

wvnfgts6robn.gif

So here is 73kg
    927bcykwjr33.gif

LFG! Way to get after it, dude!
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

I feel the same about incline vs. flat; I get way better pec activation with inclines but my shoulders are the inverse to yours. If I do heavy barbell inclines or OHP my shoulders complain so I stick to dumbbells for those. I'll have to actually record some lifts one of these days instead of just lurking. I did a full re-arrange of the gym over the holidays to let the Mrs. and I workout better simultaneous so I'm not sure how filming will go with the lighting on my side of the rack.

I've also been more hypertrophy focused for some time so I haven't even considered PR attempts since the fall Garage Gym Comp. May will be here before I know it though. I'm getting towards the end of my winter bulk. Trend weight is up to 180.9 lbs compared to 171.3 on Thanksgiving and starting to feel uncomfortable. Unsure how much further I take it. I'm scheduled for a deload next week and have a short work trip to Denver so I may shift to maintenance next week or the week after. I've also never been one for full on rest weeks/periods but I'm seeing/hearing a lot more about active rest periods being beneficial lately. I did basically take a whole week off when I had covid about a month ago, but that was in the middle of a meso.

I look forward to possibly seeing some of your lifts. It almost feels as if this thread don’t belong in chit-chat but it’s my favorite here. I’d also be interested in seeing the programs you guys write.

I too rarely ever push for my max or to reach a new 1rep PR. I focus on hypertrophy with a constant progressive overload regimen.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

I look forward to possibly seeing some of your lifts. It almost feels as if this thread don’t belong in chit-chat but it’s my favorite here. I’d also be interested in seeing the programs you guys write.

I too rarely ever push for my max or to reach a new 1rep PR. I focus on hypertrophy with a constant progressive overload regimen.

That just made my day! :smiley: I have really enjoyed what it's evolved into and am so glad to be able to "listen" to the info you guys share!
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    This thread needs to stay right here where I can comfortably lurk
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

Hopefully one day you’ll toss a gif in here 😁
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options

Hopefully one day you’ll toss a gif in here 😁
    One day. I know everyone here is supportive & encouraging but I still feel weak & fat 🙄
  • steveko89
    Options
    I’d also be interested in seeing the programs you guys write.

My program right now is based heavily on the Renaissance Periodization Men's Physique 6 day full body template. I was able to find an old spreadsheet of it floating around the internet a few years ago. I tried running it as written and it was too much volume to practically deploy at this phase of life, at least that version was. I pared it down to 3-4 sets, start with 85% 10RM and add 2.5% per week, RIR progress of 3, 3, 2, 2, 1, deload. I sometimes take a sixth week at 1RIR and 4 sets if I'm still feeling good after week 5. I also watch quite a bit of their youtube channel and really like Dr. Mike's approach. An older version of their diet template and cliffnotes from the RP Diet book is also the basis of my macro and meal timing plan.

My last 1RMs logged on 11/5/2023:
    Bodyweight: 171.2 lbs
    Height: 6'1"
    Back Squat: 335 lbs
    Deadlift: 405 lbs
    Bench Press: 275 lbs

405 was my lifetime PR for DL, I once hit 300 on bench a few springs ago but was very focused on doing so.