What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    Back to stationary bike, 15k + 3' CD, 105W average overall, a little over 40 minutes, only got up to middling Z3 so not too intense.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've been taking a break.
    I've been having some weird physical symptoms, multiple rounds of Xrays, CTs, blood tests, and more (with no useful insights from any of it), and reached a point of feeling pretty exhausted despite sleeping lots, so I decided to take a few days off.

Ann, I feel this deeply (and big hugs / best wishes they figure out what's going on, and soon).

Today I had a PET scan (following surgery to remove a stage II tumor from my colon in Dec.) and they posted my lab results to Healow. I peeked--and to my layman's eyes it seems like good news. I'll hear from my oncologist tomorrow.

Got home and took a 20 min. walk around the block. February sunshine is a welcome novelty.

Thank you, @DiscusTank5! Yes, I think for many of us with this kind of history, there's a little extra . . . poignancy? . . . to this kind of testing and anticipation of results. Whatever the right word is, I'm sure you understand the concept. (I always read the reports as soon as they post, too. ;) )

PET scan is probably the one thing I've never had (so far), though I've had so. many. tests. PET's a big deal, I know.

It's particularly hard soon after the initial diagnosis/treatment, I think. IME, the anxiety effect does gradually lessen as the initial phase gets smaller in the rear-view mirror.

I hope your oncologist will confirm your reading that it's a good result: That would be great. I'm beaming positivity rays at you from here, right now!
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I hope your oncologist will confirm your reading that it's a good result: That would be great. I'm beaming positivity rays at you from here, right now!
    [/quote]

Thanks for the rays, Ann. She confirmed that the PET found no sign of cancer anywhere in my body ("no hypermetabolic activity"), and I'm very thankful.
    Truthfully, I'm also a bit grouchy that the next step is starting a 6 month regimen of chemo pills to prevent recurrence, starting this next week.

Two walks today: one shorter one in the cold morning and one longer one at noon. The sun was almost hot!
  • jackybeertje
    jackybeertje Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I went to orange theory
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    I was going to hike in the foothills, but the forecast said winter storm coming. Uh... Not for me. Walked to town to get my mail, stopped by the bike shop for a part I needed, then went by the thrift shop and found a great deal on some lead SCUBA weights. I tossed them in my backpack so got a mini strength day too... Not really. It was just 16 pounds of coated bricks, but that particular pack isn't great for carrying weight. I also grabbed a few other things and walked down by the river on the way home.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I went climbing yesterday. I got a bit carried away in a 3 hour session, going as hard as I am capable of. It actually wasn't a brilliant session, although I got two v3 projects.
  • drv123
    drv123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    drv123 wrote: »
    Oh also I managed to do my first pull up. Decided to give it a go as I walked past the pull up bar.

I love how you just threw that in at the end, like it's no big deal. But nailing that FIRST pullup, and on a whim? I foresee lots more in your future!

Thanks, I haven’t tried since but it was cool just being able to do one. I gave myself golfers elbow a few weeks ago so not trying to overdo it with pulling exercises.

Today was 23 minutes on the stair climber then some cable rows (light weight due to the elbows) and squats in the smith machine.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,008 Member
    Options
    Upper Hypertrophy

Incline Bench Press 3x10
    DB Bench Press 3x10
    BB Row 4x10 (2 sets pronated, 2 sets supinated)
    Pulldown 3x10 (1 set each hands over, under, neutral-grip)
    Face Pull 3x10
    Cable Lateral Raise 3x10
    Preacher Curl 3x10 (3-second negatives)
    Cable Pushdown 3x10 (5-second negatives)
    Perloff Press 3x15sec
  • nossmf
    Options
    drv123 wrote: »
    Thanks, I haven’t tried since but it was cool just being able to do one. I gave myself golfers elbow a few weeks ago so not trying to overdo it with pulling exercises.

Had to deal with tennis elbow which impacted my grip strength. (Still recovering from the latest bout.) You may be able to work with pulls if you vary your wrist rotation. Often a pull with the wrist pointed down (thumbs pointed towards center of body) can cause discomfort, where the same pull but with the wrist twisted either 90 degrees (thumbs towards head) or 180 degrees (thumbs toward shoulders) allow the motion to be completed comfortably. Not always, but might be worth a try.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I rode my bike for two blocks today: the mini-ride was my first since my cancer surgery in Dec. Also walked across campus from the building where I teach to the library and back (10 minutes?). Sunshiny and seemed like spring (although here in NW Arkansas we refer to this kind of weather in Feb. as "false spring").
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I drove about a dozen miles to a friend's house where we hiked about five miles along forest roads and trails. Just under 1000 feet of elevation gain. I came home with some fresh goose eggs.

My gym is only about a dozen blocks out of the way on my way home, so I went for a strength workout which will give me a rest day tomorrow before I paddle on Saturday. I might go for a short hike tomorrow up to a high point with views where I can look down to the river where I'll be the next day, then on Saturday I can look up through a clearing and say, "Hey, I was right up there yesterday!"

I changed up a couple things on my workout. Instead of the converging chest press machine, I grabbed a couple dumbbells and did bench presses. That was kind of fun. I increased weight for my biceps curl, but skipped adding overhead press to the movement. For grins, three pull-ups before my cool-down. Obligatory visit to the sauna of course.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Stationary bike again so I could watch more visual journaling instructional videos. (I'm still behind.) I stupidly somehow hit the wrong button on my watch, so lost the Garmin data for the workout, except what the bike grabbed via Bluetooth. That would be most but not all of it. Sigh. I estimate the calorie burn from the bike's average watts, so that's OK, anyway.

It was 15k + 3' CD again, took about 40 minutes, 112W average overall. Highest HR the bike grabbed was right at the top of Z3, and it looks like I hit Z3 about 8' in, so around 80% of the workout was in Z3.

Didn't workout yesterday; still having some difficulty with fatigue for - I believe - reasons not associated with exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Thanks for the rays, Ann. She confirmed that the PET found no sign of cancer anywhere in my body ("no hypermetabolic activity"), and I'm very thankful.
    Truthfully, I'm also a bit grouchy that the next step is starting a 6 month regimen of chemo pills to prevent recurrence, starting this next week.

Two walks today: one shorter one in the cold morning and one longer one at noon. The sun was almost hot!

@DiscusTank5, that's fabulous news. PET is pretty definitive, IMU.

I'm sorry about the drug regimen being necessary, but hope it won't be too bad for you. I did have to take (serially) a couple of different drugs after my main cancer treatment, too, but didn't experience much in the way of the side effects I'd heard others report from taking them. I know that with a different type of cancer, you'll be prescribed totally different drugs, but hope you'll also have no or minimal side effects while taking yours, too.

You're doing such a nice job of working your way back into being active, which is great. I know exercise mitigates both drug side effects and risk of recurrence for the kind of cancer I had . . . I hope it may be similar in your case. Better general health habits can't hurt, for sure! Wishing you all the best going forward.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    My Garmin device is really good at figuring out what exercises I'm doing in the gym. It's far from perfect, but it's actually surprisingly good. I started going in to correct the data on the website to help me keep track. Well, now I discovered another good tool that has me thinking.

The website shows primary muscle groups targeted, secondary groups targeted, and groups that aren't targeted. It has shown me that I need to add something for my calf muscles, abs, obliques, adductors, and maybe my traps. I think for sure I'll work planks and dead bug back into my routine.

I'm saving up for a new bicycle, but maybe I should also save a few bucks to get one or three sessions with a trainer to help me develop a good routine for the next year or two.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Lower Hypertrophy

Squats 4x15
    BB Step-Ups 3x12
    Leg Extension 3x12
    Lying Leg Curl 3x12
    Calves Extend 4x15 <superset> Cable Crunch 4x10
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Still stationary biking rather than machine rowing so I can catch up on visual journaling videos. (If I row while watching video, I end up short-changing technical attention, so groove in sub-par body mechanics. Biking is technically easier.)

So, repeat the 15k + 3' cool-down I usually do, at a slightly more relaxed 102W average for 41 minutes. In fact, this was soooo relaxed that it was 74% Z2, and the 21% Z3 never exceeded 74% HR max - pretty relaxed. That's OK.

I'm about to say something off-thread-topic about workout intensity and sweat, so I'll put it in a spoiler.
    Sometimes people on MFP say that they think they were working out really hard because they were sweating hard, only to have other MFP-ers tell them sweat rate isn't a good gauge of workout intensity.

Here's some evidence. Like I said, this was a pretty mild workout. But I'm one of those heavy-sweat people. When watching video, I put a big pillow on the bike handlebars, and lean on that, quasi aero style, with my tablet on the pillow between my forearms. The pillow is in a plastic bag, then a cloth laundry bag, with an old bath towel wrapped over the whole thing so there's a couple layers of that on top.

Here's a photo of my forearm sweat-prints on the laundry bag and inner towel layer, after the 41 minutes of very moderate-intensity ride :D :

jkp0skj74fks.jpg

So little intensity, so much sweat! 🤣 (And there were two fans on besides, one on the ceiling, one straight ahead of me.) If you look closely at the gray laundry bag, you can see a white salt outline from previous workouts. No, I don't wash it every time. Waste of energy.)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Paddled nine miles in the cool, rainy weather with four other people. Same place as last time, but a slightly faster pace. We went out for tacos afterwards.
  • drmwc
    edited February 19
    Options
    Wednesday
    Climbing, 3 hours. Meh session. I tried hard, but wasn't very successful.

Friday
    Swimming. This was before work, so I only had time for 750 metres.

Saturday
    Caving.
    4 hour trip. It was just a gentle nimble around Ogof Ffynnon Ddu (OFD) top , as it had been very damp and this bit of cave doesn't flood

Sunday
    Caving.
    A 5 hour trip, also around OFD top. This was more strenuous and more fun than Saturday, with more climbs, squeezes and traverses.
  • drmwc
    edited February 19
    Options
    I forgot to mention to mention pull-ups, as they've had a few mentioned in the thread recently. I got quite good at them in lock-down (but not good enough to do a muscle up or a 1-armer.) I could do 2 reps with +25kgs, or 15 reps with body weight total fairly easily.

I haven't trained them for a while. So I did a few sets to see where I was; I have got weaker at them. I did 3 sets of 7, and my from felt like it was about to degrade so I kept it at 7. I'll do them around daily from now to build back up to 15.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Walked five miles with a friend. Cooked soup. Did a couple 16-ounce curls with friends later.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Upper Power

Bench Press 5x2
    Cable Row 5x5
    Machine Decline Press 5x5
    Machine High Row 5x5
    Seated BB OHP 5x5
    Cable Woodchoppers 3x10 (High, Cross, Low)