WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thank you for another month!
    Lisa, congrats on paying off the house! I also chuckled while reading your spoiler stuff, you’re absolutely right, gotta laugh about it, the crying just takes too much out of a body!
    Barbara, please add me to the well wishers list for Katla, using my photo or whatever you need is fine with me.
    There was more, but I have to get to an extremely early morning appointment. I will fill you all in eventually! It’s not serious, so no need to worry!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island where I don’t know what the weather is as it’s still dark!
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Good morning, my dear hearts, from the slightly less chilly dawn of a new month in the Arkansas River Valley, and thank you, Barbie, for ushering us into March and another clean start,

Barbara - Thank you for organizing and following through with the Katla communication. I hope it finds her well.

A correction for a mistake I didn't notice in time enough to fix the error - we paid the house off last July, not "yesterday." Was going to say "It feels like yesterday," and somehow left off the rest of that context! It does feel that way, and was a mental and emotional triumph and a huge milestone for me and Corey, but it was not actually yesterday. 😊

Heather - I hope your tests show something easily fixable. Pain gets exhausting very quickly, especially when it is unrelenting.

The organ recital:
    One more medical thing today and then done until next week Weds. and Thurs. It's been interesting because I've had two doctors tell me lately that there is no "magic band-aid," for something. It used to be a "magic bullet," so one assumes they were looking for something less... violent. 👀😀🙃 As I think I've said before, it puts me in mind of my childhood and my belief that Band-aids WERE magic. If there was a box of them in the bathroom, I would walk out covered with them. My mother had to hide them.

The X-ray this afternoon is, I think, the last of the hoops to jump through to start the Stelara. The estradiol cream came in and I began using it on Tuesday. These feel as if some of the barriers in the obstacle course are being conquered. One heart stress test next week, then the heart ultrasound the first week of April, and the last obstacle surmounted to either move forward with the stroke preventer or take another path. I will see the orthopod again in two weeks to see what, if anything, can be done for the pain in my knees.

That is, as of this writing, the last of the big obstacles. Trying to juggle Crohn's disease, 24-7 A-fib, post-menopausal atrophy, and knee issues all at once is no fun--but I have for the time being at least, conquered anemia that was complicating everything, and gotten my overall health in much better shape. I've felt an awful lot worse than I do right now. I'm grateful to feel better, and the rest will be what it is.
    Goals were a mixed bag for February:

❌ Stay in maintenance range - 150 - 155 - Nope - Started out at 156.1, and ended up at 156.5. Not happy that it's above my maintenance range, but am happy that it's not as far above that range as it got mid-month.
    ✅ Stay on budget - Doing much better in February. Helped that we got our federal income tax refund in. :smiley:
    ✅ Get healthier - I think so. I ended up doing yoga three times so far this week (about to do my fourth this morning). Got on the elliptical twice this week, 2.5 minutes the first time, five minutes the second time. Started hand stretches on Wednesday, plan to continue those daily, and was able to write the alphabet with my toes this morning to help stretch my ankles and start getting them back to flexible. The Crohn's symptoms have conditioned me to run for the bathroom the moment I move, and it's finally slowed down enough that I have time to stretch. Hopefully, it will not just continue, but get even better.

And my goals for March remain the same:

✅ Stay in maintenance range - 150 - 155
    ✅ Stay on budget
    ✅ Get healthier

Time to get moving - Corey will be calling soon for my "good morning" call...

Love y'all!
    Lisa in AR
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Barbie ... thank you for leading us into March!

Carla from Ohio ... Welcome!

Heather ... like Machka, I wondered if the Doppler test is also looking for clots. I hope the test gives you some answers.

Machka ... Other than white and black, the company that will provide my processor only has hair colors. So I have chosen a color that matches my hair ... GRAY!! But when I'm ready to bedazzle the thing, they showed me companies on Etsy and other on-line shops have unlimited "skins" to cover the device with.

Rosemarie ... After your comments about enjoying your son's dog, I too wondered if you might enjoy one of your own. My implant takes place at the end of April.

Annie ... I believe CICO has its benefits too. Even though I fast and "listen" to my appetite, when things are going off plan, I head right back to CICO to remind myself what portions look like.

I did end February lighter than when I began the month, but the number on the scale is still one I bounce around. So the intention in March is to bounce away from that number in a downward fashion! Lighter at the end of March than where I am today.

This has been a long month and I am glad to see March. It's supposed to get warmer and that's always a good thing.

Beth near Buffalo

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie...

I am doing better when I eat out with Family and friends...When I went out to Chinese Buffet with son I chose the dishes that were mostly veggies and no breaded or fried foods..,

I tried the yogurt but did not cover it well enough overnight and our house I think is too cold to make this work. I found another way where in the last step you put the jars into a bath of warm water and then cover with a thick blanket. I will also have the starter yogurt at room temperature before adding. I used the failed attempt like buttermilk in gluten free pancakes and I did make some chocolate pudding with it adding less sugar than the recipe called for.

Today I will go out with friends for lunch and will get soup and salad.

I miss Katla too!

Beth Sending good thoughts for your upcoming surgery.

AprilContinued prayers!

(((Allie)))
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    KJ congratulations on your weight loss! Good job!

Annie in Delaware
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: all you wonderful, wise, funny, compassionate women. Thank you!
    Thanks Barbie for the fresh start. :love: “…now is the time to express my gratitude for having and doing enough.”
    Machka 1500 lightning strikes? WOW.
    Beth from 70F to 23F in a matter of hours? Yikes!
    Lisa “paying off our house yesterday” VERY well done! What you said about mental satisfaction more than financial reward, but still huge. Big high five. Admire your attitude about all the tests, does Corey say you glow in the dark?
    Heather admire your “going with the flow” and really like the results. What’s the Doppler test?
    Margaret what you said about the fight or flight hormones/chemicals, and calming meditation.
    April no need for sorry, what Lisa said. Anything you can do to support your own energy (pray, cry, hug a tree, meditate, sing) will spill over onto your son. ((hugs)) and prayers.
    Kim, yours to Allie, well said.
    Vicki I am so glad I’ve retired and no longer have to cope with the mandatory computer updates. :rage: Happy birthday to your DH and to you tomorrow. Hope it’s a fun and restorative weekend, and favorable results from the dermatologist and heart doctor.
    Tina “…There is always something that needs to be fixed, replaced, or changed and most of the time, those things are not cheap.” Truth!
    Rosemarie do you think you want a big cuddly dog of your own?
    Ginny “neighbors taking care of neighbors” is the silver lining to all those natural disasters.
    Debbie sorry didn’t realize internet was so expensive there. Yow! Wish I could wave a magic want and instill some gratitude and consideration into your MIL.
    Kay would you remind me of your general locale?
    Tracey I look forward to your insights from the research project.

Will hold the Katla project until Monday, to give everyone who wants to the chance to opt in. Will share whatever if/when I hear back. Scrolling through all your smiling faces I can feel the love and support you each pour out to this group. Thank you.
    So far:
    u0i8rq0x4v1w.jpg
    kfrg3kq5g6gy.jpg
    2/29: Move mins- wii:12 PT:17 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:17 Jeopardy walking:17 Steps:5997
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=3 CI<CO net=39 vits=0.67
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, ptT, ptS, Wt:131.8
    Feb summary and March plan tomorrow.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    February: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.

Barbara, AHMOD. Please keep me on the list to your letter to Katla. I looked for your name in my friend’s list but didn’t find it!! I will send you a friend request so we can PM if we like.

RVRita
  • kevrit
    edited March 1
    Options
    February wasn’t as good as I’d hope. Setting my sites on March to improve!! Losing my watch, and all the medical, which is not done yet! Has put me in a slump. All better now and weather improving so…. My turn!!
    RVRita

Words of the year: simplify, empowered, and authentic.

SIMPLIFY—make (something) simpler or easier to do or understand.
    EMPOWERED—give (someone) the authority or power to do something.
    AUTHENTIC—.
    of undisputed origin; genuine.

I will be authentic and empowered while working to simplify my life.

Walking goals off this month due to medical issues, switching between watch and Fitbit, and surgery.

1. Do 12 different crafts this year: color, draw, sew, candles, crochet, knit, bead jewelry,, make cards, origami, scrapbook, macrame, loop looms 4/12 -100%
    2. Walk average of 7250 steps a month 1/12 100%, 61%,
    3. 30 minutes activity 23/23days a month 100%, 100%
    4. Journal 17/23 days a month 100, 74%
    5. Meditate 27/28 days a month 100%, 96%,
    6. Family phone calls 15/12 monthly. 100%,100%
    7. Save $1000 for emergencies by depositing $50 a month into savings and not touching it. 1/12 0, 100%
    8. Research and apply for senior independent living in Roswell, one a month. 2/12. 100%, 100% Spreadsheet started for comparison
    Peachtree village 866-882-3746 2. Sunny Acres Senior center 855-430-2394. 3. Sunset Villa 866-956-0235 3. Rio Vista senior housing 877-843-7557 4. Roswell summit apts. 877-853-5446. 5. Sunset 1600 apartments 877-867-8105 . 6. Cielo de Oro senior 877-874-4734 6. Wildwood apartments 877-876-4096. 7. Willow Trace 877-881-2933 Local senior housing advisor 877-304-7152 Rental houses $800-3,000 for 1-2 bedrooms
    9. Drink 8 days a month or less. 0/8 100%, 100% -7 months sober!
    10. Read 12/24 Books this year. 100%
    11. Weigh less at end of month than at beginning. 1/12 100%, 0,
    12. Complete at minimum to week 5, the 9 week squat challenge starting 1/23/24. weeks 6/27 weeks 3 sets a week for 9 weeks. 100%, 100%

January Completed — 92%,
    February Completed —-58%
  • kevrit
    Options
    Today is: Lots to think about today! Smile while Yapping, and giving a random compliment to someone today. Have a beer for me!! 7 Months sober for me!!
    x65cux3dvddi.jpeg
    3vv2onm25638.jpeg
    krlqcdokqj7a.jpeg
    kpty69wputpw.jpeg
    s9ltf3f50c5v.jpeg
    bpgc45inatlg.jpeg
    sloykw67q5mh.jpeg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    KJ - Wow, that is a great weight loss! Congratulations. <3

I'm following the same principle with the cuddle sessions as I am with my painting, and my writing. Just do what feels good. You don't have to have a destination, just a starting point and a method of exploration. The one step at a time principle. With all these things I don't always feel like it at the beginning, but the trick is to take the first step, put a mark on paper, write one sentence, take pleasure in one touch. Before you know it ........
    Focus on the process, not on a result.
    I almost never want to get started on the things that give me the most pleasure. It all seems overwhelming and too much trouble. Even going on a cruise, or holiday. Going out, almost anywhere. But I know it's always worth the trouble. However hard it seems.
    A blank sheet of paper is terrifying. Too dizzying in its possibilities. But making just one mark, one word, one touch, one item in a suitcase, dictates the next, and then you are on a roll. Action creates momentum.

Salmon for dinner tonight, with fresh spinach in crême fraiche, and a few sautéed potatoes for John. Friday night is wine night, and we have a lovely bottle of something white in the fridge. Recorded Maigret to watch.

My son should be nearly at his dad's by now.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Heather have you read Mallarmé's poem (original is in French) about the swan stuck in a frozen lake? It's about writer's block. I'm so impressed that he could take something so frustrating and make it beautiful. I just sit and mutter. Or like today, as I clean up a bit in lieu of studying, I find a distraction. You make beauty in your paintings and your cooking and your travels.

Annie in Delaware
  • Dia_R
    Dia_R Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I saw the doctor today for a routine follow-up appointment. She was pleased that my weight was down 7 pounds from last month. I am officially pre-diabetic, so we discussed medications to help me with weight management. She said most insurance companies won't approve Ozempic unless you are diabetic, which would have been her first choice. She prescribed Vyvanse, which is approved for Binge Eating Disorder and tends to depress appetite and reduce impulsive eating. She wants me to stop by and weigh monthly at her office, for monitoring. And of course she wants me to continue to log my intake and be active. It is hard to stay motivated.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Barbara-I posted in last month, forgetting the date switched, but if you haven't sent the note to Katla, please include me. What a wonderfully nice thing to do.

Tina in CA
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, Happy March 1st!

Barbie - thank you for that very nice intro to March. I guess we're officially heading into spring here, or will be in a few weeks. Longer days, maybe more sunshine, warmer nights.

At the dentist yesterday for a cleaning, all was good. My hygienist is a nutrition and health research deep-diver too, so I loved hearing her talk. The time always goes too fast, lol.

Chilly weather for the next week or 10 days, so getting my woodpile rearranged.

Ortho doc's office called yesterday, the clinic X-Ray machine isn't working so I need to stop by the hospital before the appointment and they'll take care of it. I might just do that early tomorrow or Sunday morning when I run in to grab a few groceries. The hospital is normally pretty empty at that time of the day.

Make it a fabulous weekend. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    This is one place I'll be going to in May on our cruise. :D It's the Museum/Art Gallery in Bilbao, Northern Spain. The building was designed by Frank Gehry, a Canadian, and it is his 95 th birthday. It's been on my bucket list for years, so I hope my legs are up to it!
    Got this pic from Instagram.
    n6bahzavnodj.jpg
    Tried to fill in the online form from the doctor, but found the link had expired. The other link she sent me is just to print out a form, which I already have, and am completing. So, all good.
    This afternoon is scheduled cuddle day.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx

This building looks remarkably close to the Los Angeles Philharmonic building (Walt Disney Concert Hall). So I looked it up and yep, also Frank Gehry. It's a lovely venue for the symphony.
    WaltDisneyConcertHallr.jpg

Tina in CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
    re katla: throw me in there
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: all you wonderful, wise, funny, compassionate women. Thank you!

Debbie sorry didn’t realize internet was so expensive there. Yow! Wish I could wave a magic want and instill some gratitude and consideration into your MIL.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    February: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.

Everything is crazy expensive here. That price for the internet is with the bundle of cable and phone with it- alone would be even more. We have high speed so ours is I think over $300 a month(dh has to have high speed)