WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited March 13
    Options
    Good morning, all, from my Arkansas River Valley sunrise,

Sleep eluded me last night until nearly midnight, but that often happens on the nights before medical appointments. The moment I closed my eyes last night I began running scenarios in my head of what the orthopod could or would say today, and couldn't get my mind to hush up. When that happens for very long, it's best to just get up. You want your bed to be a place where you sleep, not a place for mental uproar.

Allie - I'm sorry the UTI won't let go. They're horrible, and affect so much more than just the infected area. Looking at Miles' hair - is he a redhead? Or is that just the light in that photo?

Heather - So glad you found a night's sleep in one bed! Every one of those is a good step. Hope there's some progress toward diminished pain from your sports clinic visit.

On going out to eat, with or without husbands - we seldom go anymore at all, but not because of different eating styles. The pandemic broke us of the habit of eating out - we used to go out every few weeks for dinner, and then on one weekend morning would go eat breakfast at a favorite restaurant. Then I started getting sick, and then retired, so our income dropped precipitously. We haven't eaten out at a restaurant in at least six months. I think we really both are enjoying the creativity of expanding our pantry and freezer and trying different things.

Cooking stuff:
    Meatball smashed sliders: Last night was an experiment with meatball sliders--ground beef and pork with added panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, spices, egg, a small amount of cream, and fresh parsley, baked in the oven. We sauteed the onion and garlic, and then I threw that, along with the parsley round and egg, into the mini-food processor and pureed the mixture with about a tablespoon of cream and added it to the mix. For half of them, we wrapped the meat mixture around garlic cheese curds. The good part is I mean the "we," part. He always gets a little twitchy when I'm in his kitchen, so I enlisted him as a sous chef. 👨🏻‍🍳😍👀 It was fun.

Note - to keep fresh parsley around, when I buy a bunch of it, I chop it all up reasonably fine. Then I spray a muffin pan with cooking spray, and in each space, I add a tablespoon of parsley to a tablespoon of water and freeze them solid. Then I put all the frozen rounds into a ziploc bag and keep them in a freezer. Means we always have fresh parsley around.

Evie - Speaking of which, thank you for the chicken recipe! It sounds really good, and I can see how the honey would add to it to keep the chicken pieces very moist and tender.

Anyway... I did my two hours of work outside yesterday and my yoga+ with crunches, knee pushups, stretches, etc. Will do my yoga now, and then decide what else for today.

Hope it's a good day for all...
    Lisa in AR

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Rosemarie--Hope your mini vacation is everything you want. Sounds relaxing for sure.
    I am so ready for the weekend. Work has been crazy. I am doing 4 days a week for the next month and see how it goes. Hoping my staff will show up.
    Sounds like we are in for storms later today and tonight. Rain, Wind, hail. It is crazy.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Ginny - I'm playing catch-up here. What a nice photo of you and the grands. Glad everyone could get together.

Rosemarie - going to the B&B sounds like a fun adventure. Have a great time.

Tracey - I'm sure you are right about leaning forward over my laptop and doing other chores makes my upper back hurt.

Regarding husbands who don't want to leave the house.... here I thought mine was the only one. I'm grateful for the times we had when he WAS adventurous. I wonder if this anti-social behavior contributes to men's shorter lives. They still have us wives but they tune us out, lol.

Barbara - nice that Joe waited to include you in the walk. Awesome that he feels like getting out and being active, it's so important. How is your shoulder doing these days?

Pip - glad that Alaska cruise is booked, you and Kirby will have a good time. Now that you have your enhanced driver's license, no problem crossing borders. ;)

Heather - glad to hear you were able to extend your sports clinic visit. A shame you need to wait a couple weeks to get an idea of your hip condition from the X-Rays. I've heard what we think about expands and I think that's true. Now I notice my sore toes and achy calf and ankle all the time. Grrr.

Vicki - glad you and your DH weren't hurt when that deer collided with his truck but what a hassle. So sorry it happened to you. I would be rattled for a while. We have a lot of deer along our country roads, they hide in the bushes and trees and like to jump out at the last minute. :#

Kylia - miss you and hope you are doing better. :p

Annie - You are going to have a busy day with the phone calls. It's so frustrating when we can't understand our doctors, don't blame you for wanting to switch. I also worry, when speaking to folks whose first language isn't English, that they also don't understand ME! I'm so proud of you with your increased time on the bicycle and walking. Good idea setting small goals and losing around a pound by Easter - you can do it. You are on the right track. I've read many diet books in my life, and generally picked up a few tips that worked even if I couldn't carry through with the whole plan the books present. Good luck. <3

Yesterday I watched a few more Jason Fung videos. Interesting science about food order - eating fats and proteins first, then saving carbs for last and how it helps lower blood sugar and contribute to weight loss. That and delaying breakfast - going 12 or 16 hours without eating - kicks up the fat burning. Here's the food order video if anyone is interested. A little over 8 minutes.

When I saw Dr. D last week about my foot, he mentioned using Voltaren. I picked up some gel at Walmart a couple days ago and finally sat down to read the box. Too many warnings and it can take up to a week to kick in. :# Good grief. It's going back to the store and I'll pick up some Aspercreme, I see they make some with lidocaine. Hope that helps. There's no noticeable swelling on that foot at the end of the day, but still achiness during the day like arthritis - yet none showed up on the X-Ray. Crazy. I'm still thinking nerves.

We're supposed to see sunshine today, I'm ready. :p

Make it a fantastic day. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Law has changed, u need a passport book or passport card, I already have mine.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,490 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: really good second sleep. Joe going willingly to the ENT.
    Joe has an MD appointment coming up, postponed because he didn’t know he needed bloodwork. He’s inspired to scale back on the brandy and up the activity. Finger’s X’d!
    Lisa meant to comment on the frustrating text you received. Poster child for the communication disconnect in our medical system/offices/staffs. Makes me crazy too, especially when they don’t even listen to themselves, just cut and paste recommendations that conflict with each other. :rage: Grr.
    Machka your and Rowan’s smiles say it all. Yay!
    Rosemarie wishing you tons of fun and safe travels.
    Annie please give yourself a pat on the back after each phone call… and maybe a little “exercise snack”. Know how draining phone calls can be, a few minutes on the bike will perk you right back up.
    Heather sleep is so crucial to healing, glad you got some good rest and extened the physio appointment time.
    Lanette the shoulder is better but still ouchy, thanks for asking. In a way I’m glad it still hurts, would feel foolish going in for the mri next week if it was all better ;} Think you’re on to something about antisocial husbands and their shorter lifespans. “…but they tune us (wives) out” Amen, sister AMEN. Hope the aspercreme with lidocaine gives you some relief. If it’s nerves, have you considered alpha lipoic acid supplements? No need to pay the $$ for Nervive, any alpha lipoic acid will do. My MD recommended it to me, but I can’t tolerate it, get heartburn. Joe takes it and it seems to help him. Did Fairy get a congratulatory treat for her accomplishment?
    Barbie, your father’s “successful dieter” response made me snort my tea. Well done, Dad!
    Pip you need a passport to cruise Alaska? Do you go through Canada?
    Joy congrats on the increased activity and lighter weight. Your trip sounds like great motivation.
    3/12: Move mins- wii:14 PT:18 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:30 Steps:4714
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=0 CI<CO net=323 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, ptT, ptS, laundry, filing. Wt:133.6
    Beautiful blue sky day, but a bit chilly. Time to get up and get goin’. Need to clean out the car for trip to car repair (brakelight) and shopping. If that warms me up enough might even tackle discarding the dead plants cluttering the potting table. Michele, thinking of you! :laugh:
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    March: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    edited March 13
    Options
    Barbara - glad your shoulder is doing better but that MRI should give direction. Thank you for the Alpha Lipoic Acid recommendation. I checked it out on Amazon, sounds like folks with pain much like mine were getting relief. Sure worth a try. I took an Ecotrin aspirin this morning and it has helped some. But hate taking these NSAIDS for even a short while, even the lowly aspirin. Tummy complains quickly. Crossing fingers the ALA does the job. It looks like it also helps with blood sugar?? I might kill 2 birds with one stone, who knows.

Fairy lets me know either when one of the other hens is on the nest she wants or she has actually laid an egg. :p My house is pretty soundproof yet I can hear her loud cackle, lol. She's a loud talker.

Barbie - your dad's comment was priceless and spot on. I've copied it down in case I ever have to use it.

Pip - you made me curious about the Enhanced Driver's License. I looked up it up on the WA licensing website - looks like it still works for land and sea border crossings to/from Canada and Mexico, but not air travel. Need passport or something higher security. I also looked at the Homeland Security website - evidently there are only a few states that issue the EDL like Washington's, and CA isn't one of them. Is that what you meant? I'm not planning on traveling far so it's no big deal to me but good to keep up on all of this.

Joy - that 2 mile scenic walk in Newfoundland sounds great. Bet you'll be in shape for it. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    MFP has been very Wonky today. Could not get into my bookmarks because it said that there was a cloudflare timeout ;) This came from a site called Vanilla. :#

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Barbara - glad your shoulder is doing better but that MRI should give direction. Thank you for the Alpha Lipoic Acid recommendation. I checked it out on Amazon, sounds like folks with pain much like mine were getting relief. Sure worth a try. I took an Ecotrin aspirin this morning and it has helped some. But hate taking these NSAIDS for even a short while, even the lowly aspirin. Tummy complains quickly. Crossing fingers the ALA does the job. It looks like it also helps with blood sugar?? I might kill 2 birds with one stone, who knows.

Fairy lets me know either when one of the other hens is on the nest she wants or she has actually laid an egg. :p My house is pretty soundproof yet I can hear her loud cackle, lol. She's a loud talker.

Barbie - your dad's comment was priceless and spot on. I've copied it down in case I ever have to use it.

Pip - you made me curious about the Enhanced Driver's License. I looked up it up on the WA licensing website - looks like it still works for land and sea border crossings to/from Canada and Mexico, but not air travel. Need passport or something higher security. I also looked at the Homeland Security website - evidently there are only a few states that issue the EDL like Washington's, and CA isn't one of them. Is that what you meant? I'm not planning on traveling far so it's no big deal to me but good to keep up on all of this.

Joy - that 2 mile scenic walk in Newfoundland sounds great. Bet you'll be in shape for it. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

We live in ca, the enhanced license doesn’t work going to Canada. The passport card works going to Canada. It doesn’t work going to Europe, for that you need a passport book
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 58min 30sec, 61elev, 3.03ap, 83ahr, 97mhr, 6.09mi= 567c
    Strava app= 746c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 35.54min, 108elev, 124aw, 21.3amph, gear40, 49arpm, 104ahr, 126mhr, 12.72mi= 232c
    Strava app= 253c
    Zwift stats- 35.55min, 108elev, 123aw, 48arpm, 21.22amph, 12.7mi= 254c
    Other- trim/lower height of front and back hedges, 29.32min= 139c

Total cal 938
  • pipcd34
    Options