Replies

• teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,487 Member
    Options
    Carol, Allie and Michele, I’ve been having the same problem with getting to the mfp community section and my bookmarks for the past two days. Machka says the community threads are hosted on a separate platform called “Vanilla” from the calorie counter/food database portion.
    Heather you’re seeing it as a “solvable issue,” what a relief!
    Likewise Lisa, well done for doing all the right things, but a little disappointed that no quick fixes on the horizon. Bravo to the md for the severely worded request for correction.
    Allie fingers X’d for the extraction. Must have been hard, being phobic and working in a dental office . . . :Love: the sMiles and Alfie pics.
    Michele ((hugs)) to Vince. When my shoulder troubles started, I was told “It was just ready to go… you could have just been reaching for a fork” Would Vinc watch Bob and Brad YouTubes? They do a great series on shoulder pain and rotator cuff injuries.
    Sue good luck with the nasal rinse. Joe finds them unpleasant but effective.
    3/13: Move mins- wii:15 PT:16 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:20 Jeopardy walking:58 Steps:8281
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=11 CI<CO net=741 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, MiniPetMart, Post Office, gas. Wt:133.4
    Time to snooze. Long day tomorrow,
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    March: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    Options
    When I saw Dr. D last week about my foot, he mentioned using Voltaren. I picked up some gel at Walmart a couple days ago and finally sat down to read the box. Too many warnings and it can take up to a week to kick in. :# Good grief. It's going back to the store and I'll pick up some Aspercreme, I see they make some with lidocaine. Hope that helps. There's no noticeable swelling on that foot at the end of the day, but still achiness during the day like arthritis - yet none showed up on the X-Ray. Crazy. I'm still thinking nerves.

We're supposed to see sunshine today, I'm ready. :p

Make it a fantastic day. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I use Voltaren Emulgel on my arthritic feet from time to time. Seems to work quite quickly and the main warning is "do not use for more than 2 weeks at a time".

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    edited March 14
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The next thing in my book asks for 100% commitment. I can give them 95%. But that means one cheat day every three months, not every time I go out. So if Easter is a cheat day, then April June and July will be the diet plan. Okay.
    I get annoyed when different facets of life ask for 100% effort. My family is more important than my diet, and I will likely go to my Aunt's and overeat for Easter. But I can minimize the damage.
    I am more of an eat and forget type than an all diet all the time type. Like Gretchen Rubin and others have said, habits are the key ( for me).
    Annie in Delaware

When I lost weight in 2015, it was a 100% effort. For 15 weeks, I never went over my calories and I lost 15 kg.
    The great thing was that when I figured out what I could eat and how much exercise I needed to get, I just simply continued to eat and exercise ... and I could put it out of my mind. It was under control. Even on holidays and celebrations, I stuck to my calorie limit.
    I went on to focus on my job and university.

But it is definitely harder when there's something emotional we need to focus on.
    M in Oz

Further on the barrier that emotions present ... prior to my husband's accident it was much, much easier to exercise.

We met while exercising, on a long, long distance bicycle ride. We got to know each other while exercising. Cycling together is what we do. We have cycled individually occasionally, but mostly together.

After my husband's accident, he couldn't cycle for a while and since he has started cycling again but not nearly the distances or speeds or over the terrains we used to cycle. I could have gone out on my own and continued to cycle, but I didn't. And now I'm as out of shape with my cycling as he is. Only, I want to cycle, and he's kind of iffy about it, so we don't. I could cycle on my own ... but the whole thing is fraught with emotion. If I say I'm going for a ride whether he accompanies me or not ... emotions, all kinds of emotions. So I don't bother.

I do walk at lunch or when he is napping because I can do that on my own and it doesn't present the same emotional response in my husband. But if I want to go for a walk after work, he feels like he should come with me, but doesn't really want to and so ... emotions. So I don't bother.

It's been difficult, it makes me sad, and I haven't been sure what to do about it. I'm just happy whenever I or we do get out and exercise.

Machka in Oz[/quote]
    Machka, Barbara, Heather, and more I'm sure: When it comes to what I no longer do because of Corey, I try to remember what he stopped doing because of me, and particularly since I got ill. He loves the long drives in the country that Barbara mentioned, but I haven't been able to do that in years, due to my body's demands on me, and he won't go without me. He quit smoking because I did, and then quit vaping because I did. He enjoyed them both, and had I not stopped, he certainly wouldn't have.

For me - it's just not possible for me to do the solo things I enjoy when he's here, like crafts and writing. It's always more fun to be where he is. We're both beginning to get better at letting the other one go and do, like grocery shopping. I try to make sure he gets that solo walk out to the orchard and around the yard when he gets home from work. It's part of his disconnect from the day's work, and truly enjoy the time while he's at work and I do what I choose. I guess I'm saying it's a balance.

Lisa in AR

Unfortunately there is not much balance in our situation.

He hasn't stopped doing anything because of me. That was one of the things I enjoyed about us ... we were both into getting out there and doing stuff! Neither one of us wanted to stop the other from doing something, we'd be in there doing it together.

However, he has stopped doing a lot because of his brain injury. The brain injury took his job, his memory, his ability to cycle long distances, his ability to walk distances and different terrains, his energy, much of his motivation, his ability to see projects through, a portion of his cognition, the ability to deal with things, control over emotions and so much more.

Because of his brain injury we have cut way back on doing many things WE enjoyed doing together like travelling, being active, attending events and all sorts.

And I have stopped doing a lot of things out of deference to him.

I don't blame him ... the brain injury is not his fault. It's one of those horrible things in life you never expect.

It's possible he misses doing all the things we used to do too, but it's hard to tell.

But, I am very thankful for days like today when he wanted to ride his bicycle with me ... and hopefully our plan (because he is part of it too) will work to allow us both to be more active. I hope to update you all by the end of the month.

Thankful for the little holiday we just returned from.
    Thankful that, although we've had to cut back on travelling because of my husband's brain injury, we can still travel some.
    Thankful that my husband still wants to travel!
    Thankful that I was able to spend lots of time walking up and down the beach, wading in the water etc.
    Thankful that my husband and I were able to cycle a little bit. A little bit is better than none. :)
    Thankful for the lovely hot muggy weather.
    Thankful for being able to read and rest.

5jg7sjn9xmkd.png

On cycling ... my passion, my life ...
    Way Back When
    I started cycling when I was 6 years old and have been cycling since. My father was a cyclist with a basement full of bicycles which he rebuilt, fixed and maintained. We often rode together as a family and rarely travelled without the bicycles. Cycling was an important part of growing up.

When I got into my teens, I started focusing more on track and field (running) and less on cycling. Then when I started college and got into the workforce in my early 20s, I pretty much stopped cycling altogether. But not for long!

The Beginning
    On April 29, 1990, at the age of 23, I started cycling seriously. That first ride was a grand total of 2 miles long, and I had to take a break after the first mile … I was much more out of shape than I thought! For the next few years I put on about 1000 miles a season, and thought I was doing really well.

Then I started increasing my distances, and in the summer of 1994, I rode my first imperial century (100 miles in a day) –- alone. It was so difficult and painful that I said I would never do a ride that long again.

The next year I rode Jasper to Banff (the Icefield Parkway – Canada) in 3 days, which had been a goal of mine since I was 17, when my father did it. I loved it!! And that would have to be when I really started to cycle! Cycling had taken hold and had become a passion!

I did another imperial century (100 miles in a day) in 1997 -– alone again -– but this time I rode smarter and ate better, and it was not a problem. I did centuries just about every year until 2018 … usually several each year.

The Racing Years
    In 1998, at the age of 31, I decided to try racing!

I figured I was pretty fast, but had no one to compare myself with because I did most of my cycling alone. I still remember my first race – a very hilly course (for Manitoba), cold, raining, on a borrowed bicycle with Time Trial (TT) gearing. I DNF’d.

For the next 3 years I struggled to train to develop speed – and I was successful to a certain extent, but it was a lot of work. I tried out road racing -– and always got dropped. I tried crits -– and did OK with them. I even won a few! But I hated them because of the high risk of accidents. And I tried TTs -– and did OK, and liked them. In my 3rd year of racing, I only rode TTs.

What’s Next
    Meanwhile that year, 2000, I had been riding some longer distances on my own -– centuries and 200 km rides exploring the neighborhood, and I really enjoyed those. So I began considering devoting my time to touring instead of racing.

I looked into touring over the summer, but it just wasn’t quite what I wanted to do. Late in the year, I remembered that I had cut out an article from the newspaper about something called “Randonneuring” quite a few years earlier.

Randonneuring?
    I dug the article out, reread it, and decided that was what I wanted to try. It took me a couple months to track down the club in Manitoba -– they weren’t well advertised -– and in the spring of 2001, I decided to try my first 200K (200 kilometres in 13.5 hours including all breaks) brevet. If it went well, I would do the 300K (300 kilometres of cycling in 20 hours including all breaks) … but I wasn’t committing myself to anything.

About a month before the 200K, I tore the rotator cuff in my left shoulder, and the only bicycle I could ride was my heavy Mongoose mountain bike because it didn’t require me to put weight on my left arm. So, I rode that first 200K with my mountain bike! I was very tired, but I enjoyed the ride and decided to do the 300K. I rode that on my road bicycle, was much less tired than I had been on the 200K.

After feeling so good on both the 200K and 300K, I decided to do the 400K (400 kilometres of cycling in 27 hours including all breaks), that went well too, and next thing I knew I was on the 600K (600 kilometres of cycling in 40 hours including all breaks)! I was hooked! I loved long, long, long distance cycling! I also did a few more centuries and 200K rides on my own throughout that year, just for fun!

Going Long!
    I had heard about the Rocky Mountain 1200 (in 2002) and the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 (in 2003) that year. 1200 kilometres of cycling with a time limit of 90 hours including all breaks!! I really wanted to do the PBP, so I decided to use the RM1200 as a test ride since it was in my country and close to relatives.

I had a plan all worked out for training over the winter prior to it – but that plan came to a screeching halt on November 1st when I dropped a pot of boiling water on my left foot which resulted in a bad 3rd+ degree burn.

I was off my bicycle and off my feet entirely for the next 3 months – so much for training! I couldn’t even lift upper body weights because as soon as my heart rate increased, my foot would swell and become very painful. But the first shoe I tried on when most of the dressings were removed was a cycling shoe! And at the end of February 2002, I finally got back onto my exercise bicycle, and started working diligently to get ready for the RM1200. That experience made me even more determined to do it than ever.

I completed the Rocky Mountain 1200 in 2002, the Paris-Brest-Paris 1200 in 2003, the Great Southern Randonee 1200 in 2004, and the Last Chance Randonnee 1200 in 2005. I have completed brevets of one sort or another every year since 2001, and I’ve also had the opportunity to tour parts of the Australia, Canada, the US, Europe, the UK and Asia. In 2005 and 2006, I raced 24-hour Time Trials which I also thoroughly enjoyed!

This chart shows the total number of each length of event I did up to and including part of 2018.

36i7sm8zmgo8.png

But cycling long distances was so much more than just turning pedals.

It was fun, adventurous and challenging. It was difficult and pushed me beyond what I thought I could do. It was rewarding, fulfilling. It was my life.

I met wonderful people, many of whom I still count as friends. Best of all, on the 2003 Paris-Brest-Paris, I met the man who would become my husband and we got to know each other on several other long events and training rides in various parts of the world. Cycling long distances was a key part of our relationship.

And Now?

In 2018, my husband had a workplace accident which resulted in a severe traumatic brain injury. Thankfully we are still cycling, but not like we did.

We are still participating in the type of cycling that was our lives by organising and volunteering.

I keep thinking that one day, maybe, I'll try my first 200K again ... my first 200K in 6 years. And I'll begin again ...
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Machka yes six months from now I will wish I had started dumbbells again today. I'm getting closer.

Lanette and Barbara, thanks for your encouragement with the phone calls. I did well on closing the credit cards, but still have medical calls to make.

Well, reading your posts when I wake up early takes my mind off of whirling fears, but I can never remember my comments, especially if I go back to sleep.

Today's book section talks about how the first two bites is the best part, and sometimes you can toss the rest. Hmm. It's very hard for me to throw away food. Once it's on my plate, I feel honor bound to make a good faith effort to eat it. At least I understand that part of myself, and so I'm very careful about what I put on my plate.

It seems like the advice in this book is not new. But I am following it to encourage me to stay true to my priorities.

So eat thoughtfully, my friends, and have a great day!

Annie in Delaware

• Anniesquats100
    Options
    I just bought myself some 4 oz bowls to control portions and a new nonstick skillet to reduce oil. Yay! Now I have to make room!

Annie in Delaware
  • Julieann404
    Julieann404 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    Ginny ~ What a great photo of you and the grands! I know you all will have a wonderful visit.

Rosemarie ~ Gibbs garden is a beautiful place to go in the Spring. I have not been there but have seen photos of all the flowers that are grown there.

Heather ~ John has made a great card for BiBi! She will love it. John's writing and artistic talents are outstanding. Glad you are able to move better.

Barbie ~ I agree with your thoughts on the diversity of talents that so many of the ladies here exhibit. Sometimes I feel bad that I don't have much to offer mainly because I live a very quiet life. But, I love reading about every post and learning what all is going on.

Julie ~ In what part of the US are you located. I assume somewhere in the Northeast since you mentioned the Amish custom regarding DST.

Carol in GA

Carol, Yes I am in upstate NY (Elmira) but also a "snowbird" in Bradenton, FL:-)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im up and fed the cat and will call and make an appointment for Alfie at the Vet ,his hips or legs are sore and he is having some issues.
    Right now he is snoozing under the covers.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,908 Member
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Allie - I agree with Tracy. I don't think a birthday should be tied to behavoir. You give a birthday present because you love that person not because of how they act.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA

:) I agree with this. Love is not filled with a lot of conditions and hoops to jump through.

• Anniesquats100
    Options
    Barbie yes I am also an abstainer. That is a great book, partly because it allows for all sorts of people.

Annie in Delaware