Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    But...

Okay. I don't have TV and I don't look at the news.

Ya'll - WHY are people stripping grocery shelves? Are we being locked into our houses? Do they think it is going to blow over in a week? Are all the food supply chains being shut down by the government? I don't understand...you guys are kind of freaking me out but I don't really know why.

giphy.gif

Looking at the news (credible) during what is likely the start of a pandemic is probably a good idea. No need to panic, but being informed, and being prepared, is a sensible thing to do. Then you won't have to panic when you realise everyone around you is sick and you can't buy food because all the stores are closed (because all the staff are sick) :)
    What do you consider "credible" news?

I'm not Nony, but I prefer to get my news from NPR. At the start of the pandemic, they had many epidemiologists on.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Wherever Nony is, I very much hope they are well.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    When to get the new Covid-19 vaccine to maximize your protection
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/14/health/new-covid-vaccine-timing-wellness/index.html
    Your exposure to the virus does not depend on when you schedule your vaccine,” said Dr. Tochi Iroku-Malize, a family physician in New York and president of the American Academy of Family Physicians. “The virus is not waiting for you to go get your vaccine. So get the vaccine now, as soon as you’re able.”
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people don't do simple things.

Regarding flu shots, that was me for a lot of years. I felt sick after receiving it one time so for years afterwards I didn't get them. My so-called justification was "well, I've never had the flu." My husband had never had the flu either but he consistently got his every year. Then something like 8 years ago, we both got influenza A. He had very mild symptoms but I was significantly sicker and missed a week of work. I've gotten the flu shot every year since.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the flu for the past 30 years. I've only had it twice in my life. I am generally very healthy. Usually I don't bother with flu shots. So far I've missed Covid. I got the Covid shots because my husband is high risk and I have gotten flu shots a couple of times for the same reason. I tried last year but my doctor got distracted and forgot to give it to me. My husband's doctor insisted on the annual flu and pneumonia vaccines but hasn't pushed him to get the Covid booster after the first one. My husband is a skeptic and keeps saying he won't have any more Covid shots but I'm hoping to wear him down before his next doctor's appointment. He trusts his doctor and I think that if the GP says it is worth getting he will. When the boosters were only effective for about 2 months, there didn't seem to be much point. With a new strain, maybe.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I also read that they say you should get the shots in the same arm as last time, but I don't remember which one I used. :D

I sleep on my left arm. After getting the first shot in my left arm, and it was very sore, I switched arms. That was easy for me to remember. However, lately I've been getting shots in my glute, because no soreness. I have to get this done at my doctor's - the person at CVS would not do this.

However, now I'm rethinking this.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-shots-same-arm-may-elicit-better-immune-response

"...Our study indicates that ipsilateral vaccinations generate a stronger immune response than contralateral vaccinations," said researcher Laura Ziegler in a Saarland University press release.

More research needs to be done to confirm these findings, the authors said, but they suggest the effect might be due booster vaccination drainage by the same lymph nodes used for priming.

That's interesting, but if I had a reason for wanting to change arms, I don't think I'd be overly swayed by a single study that only measured immune cells two weeks out. Also, I'd want some data on whether the lower number found with using opposite arms was insufficient -- no point in trying to boost the immune response if the lower number is completely sufficient to do the job.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I also read that they say you should get the shots in the same arm as last time, but I don't remember which one I used. :D

I sleep on my left arm. After getting the first shot in my left arm, and it was very sore, I switched arms. That was easy for me to remember. However, lately I've been getting shots in my glute, because no soreness. I have to get this done at my doctor's - the person at CVS would not do this.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-shots-same-arm-may-elicit-better-immune-response

"...Our study indicates that ipsilateral vaccinations generate a stronger immune response than contralateral vaccinations," said researcher Laura Ziegler in a Saarland University press release.

More research needs to be done to confirm these findings, the authors said, but they suggest the effect might be due booster vaccination drainage by the same lymph nodes used for priming.

That's interesting, but if I had a reason for wanting to change arms, I don't think I'd be overly swayed by a single study that only measured immune cells two weeks out. Also, I'd want some data on whether the lower number found with using opposite arms was insufficient -- no point in trying to boost the immune response if the lower number is completely sufficient to do the job.

Also, on a related note. I thought I read yesterday that the latest Vaccine is a "new vaccine" and not a booster. If that's the case, it is a little more like starting from scratch.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    My husband just got the RSV, since he is 60+ and has heart issues. He'll get the COVID one as soon as it's available.

My workplace always offers flu shots in October...I'm wondering if they'll also offer the covid at the same time. I've read some conflicting reports about whether or not it's a good idea to get both on the same day. It won't hurt you, but might make both less effective? I don't know...I might space them out by a week to be safe.

Regardless of which shots I do, I never do them at the same time. But that's the experimentalist in me. I only want to play with one variable at a time. If I have a reaction beyond injection site pain, I will know what it is likely associated with. This is also why I clearly know I have felt like cr@p after each of my four COVID vaccinations. Makes it harder to motivate myself to want the next.

I have done the flu already. Zero reaction to it, but I did change sizes of my body. I always do left arm injections, but I am trying out changing to my right. I don't recall if I said it here or on facebook, but I seem to deal with left breast pain seemingly after my COVID vacinations. That breast had a lovely case of shingles 30 years ago, and I had left breast pain for about 10 years following. I'll be a bit more open to vaccinations if I can stop triggering months of breast pain, and not have another expensive "emergancy" diagnostic mammogram like in 2022. Maybe it's unrelated, but at least I am trying to work it out.

Try getting the shots in your glute. You may have to get this done at your doctor's office rather than a pharmacy.

I found this compelling to not worry about the same arm thing:

• kshama2001
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people don't do simple things.
    Regarding flu shots, that was me for a lot of years. I felt sick after receiving it one time so for years afterwards I didn't get them. My so-called justification was "well, I've never had the flu." My husband had never had the flu either but he consistently got his every year. Then something like 8 years ago, we both got influenza A. He had very mild symptoms but I was significantly sicker and missed a week of work. I've gotten the flu shot every year since.

Prior to 2020, my last flu shot was when I was in the military and had no choice. I got very sick after the 1990 shot, and didn't get another one or the flu for 30 years.

But in 2020, when epidemiologist were begging people to get flu shots, I listened. Also, if I did get the flu, I didn't want to have to seek treatment and be exposed to people who might have COVID.

I've gotten the flu shot every year since. No reactions other than a sore arm, except for last year, when I switched to my glute, and had no soreness.
  • SModa61
    edited September 2023
    Options
    @kshama2001 Glute is an interesting idea. I would have to research who would be willing to do this. I doubt CVS or Walgreens would be game. :P

Adding - picked up our Paxlovid. We were shocked that not only was our doctor willing to prescribe for our trip, but insurance covered it fully and it was free. It will travel in my airline personal item.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @kshama2001 Glute is an interesting idea. I would have to research who would be willing to do this. I doubt CVS or Walgreens would be game. :P

Adding - picked up our Paxlovid. We were shocked that not only was our doctor willing to prescribe for our trip, but insurance covered it fully and it was free. It will travel in my airline personal item.

Yeah, the nurse at my CVS was not willing, despite there being a shot room with complete privacy, and me trying to sell it with a comprehensive explanation. You have an even more compelling reason, but might also run into resistance at a pharmacy.

Great news on the Paxlovid!
  • SModa61
    Options

Yeah, the nurse at my CVS was not willing, despite there being a shot room with complete privacy, and me trying to sell it with a comprehensive explanation. You have an even more compelling reason, but might also run into resistance at a pharmacy.

Great news on the Paxlovid!

I'm guessing that it is the dropping trow that the pharmacist does not want to deal with. Think about it. If they do it for you or me, they should do it for others, and who knows who those "others" might be. :P
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 736 Member
    edited September 2023
    Options
    … nvm found it….
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    Well, I have COVID :angry: That's what I get for going back to work :lol: Four people were sick before me - only one said he had COVID, and properly isolated and masked. This was at the beginning of last month. I don't know if the other three tested. I wasn't going to test, because it felt just like a cold, but I had tests so tested, and voila.

My PCP is overnighting me Molnupiravir. She said there have been many complaints of rebound COVID with Pavlovic. I had asked her if I she take it, and she was like "Sure" so it's not like I'm getting it due to strict medical necessity and now I am having second thoughts. Anyone else take it?

I was so sorry to read this, @kshama2001! How are you doing? I hope that at worst you're experiencing a light case, manageable.

I can't shed any experienced light on the drugs, because so far I've dodged getting Covid (AFAIK!). (I'm sure than not having one of those job-thingies has been helpful in that :D . )

When I first spoke with my new-ish PCP about what to do if I did test positive, she said she'd not recommend Paxlovid, but would probably give me some kind of steroid (I think inhaler) if it seemed to be moving into my chest. But I think that's because one CT scan suggested I might have early-stage COPD and for sure even routine respiratory things seem to move to multi-week persistent cough for me. She cited the rebound potential of Covid as one reason behind her thinking.

I hope you're doing OK and will be back to 100% again soon!