WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    @Machka you describe my DH to a T in the spoiler. Only, he is getting worse and worse. Will your DH improve with treatment? Mine will not discuss it or get medical help at all concerning this. He is also going deaf and has TV and police scanner on loud competing with each other all the time. Drives me nuts!

RVrita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Lunch went well. It was great to see my old friend. But I was disappointed with my meal. It was very meagre, much more like a cheap deal lunch portion. Enjoyable, but not ample. She had vegetarian, which looked better. Coming back was hard going, but I made it. :#
    On the way there we passed the very posh chocolate shop where they make the truffles in the window. We know the kids love it there, so I bought three faces, cow, sheep, pig, for Easter. So that's sorted. :D

Now for a nap!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Today is: On Freedom of information AND book smugglers, I don’t believe books should be banned. In fact, if you ban it, I will read it to find out why. Most have not been read by the entity banning the book! IE.. Harry Potter was banned in TN. I read them and just finished “Flowers in the Attic” and in the middle of part 2 “Petals in the Wind”. And will look for more. Just because I don’t agree with what the characters are doing/saying, they are characters and not REAL people or telling me to do it!! I like seeing both sides of an argument and deciding for myself! Don’t tell me what I can or cannot read or watch!!!

b9yfz3ktwcjn.jpeg
    c4fdjdj95utw.jpeg
    zw1znu6icn5n.jpeg
    mku8edp9e48y.jpeg
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,340 Member
    Options
    Debbie - what a shame about that car and the messed up warranty and tow truck fiasco. Hope you made it to your mom's safely and enjoy your time there.

Tracey - glad everything is done and you have earned your certification. <3 I love hearing about what you are learning, I think a lot of people would benefit from understanding children's (mis) behavior. Also glad you were there for your friend's mother, what a sad situation.

Machka - you look formidable in your fencing outfit. The symphony sounded very nice, glad you enjoyed it. Sorry about your DH's dog hanging onto a bone behavior. Mine was always a little testy that way and actually got better as his dementia progressed.

Rita - thank you for all of the computer info. That sounds like just the ticket. I'm sending the teleporter down to pick you up immediately (as soon as I get it that is, so don't hold your breath :( ) and you can I can go computer shopping. So sorry to hear about the family troubles and stress, and that of your DH's behavior as well. Are you still able to get your walks in?

Had a nice lunch yesterday with T and R, it was great catching up with them. But, we tried out a new restaurant, food wasn't that good. White bread type sandwich with run of the mill deli turkey meat, pale tomato slices, one slice iceberg lettuce. $12. My tummy felt "off" all afternoon.

R shared that a very popular little restaurant in a neighboring town was going to close in a few weeks. Rent was hiked tremendously, landlord doesn't want to fix A/C (the claim to fame for this place is its bakery so it's an inferno during the summer.) And the place has had to close early several times recently because of no employees. People don't want to work at even $20 or so an hour? We truly live in strange times. :o I get it though. Patrons are probably grumpy because of the high food prices, maybe having to wait because of short staffing, and the staff that shows up has to take the brunt and likely aren't getting tips through no fault of their own.

Thanks to all of you gals who shared experiences with Apple Macs. I've been watching YouTube videos about how to set up a brand new HP out of the box. Doesn't look too scary, kids in first grade can probably do it these days without watching videos. :p I plan to take my current laptop back to Staples this week and have them figure out the McAfee anti virus mess. Great opportunity to watch and learn. ;)

Also, thanks as well for the mattress suggestions. A twist:
    Before lunch yesterday I stopped in a local furniture store, had a pleasant no-pressure sales gal show me some I liked at a good price. When I got home, I took a look at what I thought was the box spring but actually was wooden slats set on wooden slats, which will do fine.

As I was shifting the mattress, I saw the 2 toppers on there- a 1" and a 4". And I wondered what it would be like if I simply removed the 4". We put it on there several years ago to make it more cushy for DH's achy joints. The mattress already had a pillow top.

So I had a wrestling match with that 4"er but finally won :p and fastened a belt around it and put it on the guest bed.

I slept on the less-cushy bed last night. It was fine, it certainly wasn't any worse than the super cushy version and it's worth a shot. I have to find a home for the 4" topper, have some ideas.

My foot is getting better. I think cutting the walking way back and doing the back/sciatica exercises and stretching is paying off and solving part of the mystery. We'll see how this plays out.

It's going to be a warm, sunny day and forecast nice through Tuesday, so have a lot to catch up on here.

Make it a super weekend. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Thank you all for the love. It really helps to have a place to talk. This town doesn’t have an ALANON group, so have to do this online. I’ve not seen and ‘real’ conversations on there yet, just people talking about what their alcoholic other has done now. I need someone to guide me on coping.

Guess I’m letting other’s problems become mine. I shouldn’t do that, except, they affect me too.

RVRita

:) Do you have an Al Anon sponsor? Have you taken the Steps? That's where you'll find your coping skills, not by listening to people complain.

<3 Barbie

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: last evening’s sunset and the eyes to see it.
    Rosemarie your tulips pic made me smile, brightened my morning. As did your comment about meeting new people. Well done!
    Rori always joyful to see your smiling face and hear that you and Mars are safe and cosy.
    .Lisa that “…almost fell off my…” meme was a real tea snorter. “…when we can dismiss the emotion we invest in food. . .” an investment I’d like to withdraw… Thanks for the chunks of trees idea… lord knows we’ve got lots… ;)
    Heather. Edie’s comments, out from the mouths of babes… I can see her future as a pundit or social commentator ;)
    Tracey that is way too long to tolerate a boring presentation. You are tough! Con VERY gratulations on your certification, you sure earned it!
    Annie great victories, both on the scale and with your dad’s choosing to clothe before getting the paper. Well done! What you said about cabbage, adding some to my ramen really makes the “meal.”
    Kylia, I wish you could lovingly, unemotionally, calmly, excuse yourself from the family business and find other employment, but realize that with your husband’s disability that is unrealistic. You are in a hard place. ((hugs))
    Lanette well done on the stretches. It always amazes me how lright hip is so much tighter than right. $2700? Yah no.
    Welcome @crystalkolomeitz in Ontario!
    Barbie, yours and Annie to Allie training Siri . . . :devil:
    Rita ((hugs)) When your DH is talking to campers, can you stand a little behind and to the side of him, smile sweetly and shake your head? Maybe they’ll get the message and come to you later . . . You are in a hard hard place. It’s so scary to see someone we love decline. ((hugs)) Thanks for the Libre Office reminder. I really resist “subscribing” to cloud based M$oft software. When my Windows 10 laptop finally gives up the ghost I’ll try that, as doubt Win 11 will support my OfficeProfessional 2013 :cry:
    How could you not be affected by the problems of your loved ones? Hope your therapist has some coping mechanisms to offer to keep the “affecting” problems from “becoming mine.”
    @javaplace agreed about choosing love. What would you like us to call you?
    Anna ((hugs)) Good to hear from you. Agree about staying healthy, its importance and life interrupting.
    Debbie [sigh] sorry for the car trouble, really sorry that your DH is angry. Really sorry to hear about the warranty and the formerly reliable dealer. :cry:
    Machka Grieg and Sibelius are faves, envy you the Finlandia. I am so sorry for what you’re going through with Rowan but grateful for your sharing and insights. Bravissima for fencing.
    Michele Vince waiting for “vitamin e(xercise)” :laugh: Glad he’s walking at least. When he’s in enough pain he’ll go back to the PT exercises :devil:
    Allie what Machka and Barbie said about Carmine. I pray that Miles won’t feel the same way when the twins arrive. The Taliah you used to know and love is buried somewhere deep under Carmine’s scars. :heartbreak:
    3/15: Move mins- wii:0 PT:0 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:0 hike down to the beach and back UP with D:55 shopping:30 Steps:8549
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-28 dang that boba liquid candy bar!
    CI<CO net=104 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, Post Office, Freddie’s, recycling, reconcile credit union and brokerage accounts. Wt:131.6
    Been sitting too long and running my mouth too much.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    March: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    <3
  • javaplace
    javaplace Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: last evening’s sunset and the eyes to see it.
    Rosemarie your tulips pic made me smile, brightened my morning. As did your comment about meeting new people. Well done!
    Rori always joyful to see your smiling face and hear that you and Mars are safe and cosy.
    .Lisa that “…almost fell off my…” meme was a real tea snorter. “…when we can dismiss the emotion we invest in food. . .” an investment I’d like to withdraw… Thanks for the chunks of trees idea… lord knows we’ve got lots… ;)
    Heather. Edie’s comments, out from the mouths of babes… I can see her future as a pundit or social commentator ;)
    Tracey that is way too long to tolerate a boring presentation. You are tough! Con VERY gratulations on your certification, you sure earned it!
    Annie great victories, both on the scale and with your dad’s choosing to clothe before getting the paper. Well done! What you said about cabbage, adding some to my ramen really makes the “meal.”
    Kylia, I wish you could lovingly, unemotionally, calmly, excuse yourself from the family business and find other employment, but realize that with your husband’s disability that is unrealistic. You are in a hard place. ((hugs))
    Lanette well done on the stretches. It always amazes me how lright hip is so much tighter than right. $2700? Yah no.
    Welcome @crystalkolomeitz in Ontario!
    Barbie, yours and Annie to Allie training Siri . . . :devil:
    Rita ((hugs)) When your DH is talking to campers, can you stand a little behind and to the side of him, smile sweetly and shake your head? Maybe they’ll get the message and come to you later . . . You are in a hard hard place. It’s so scary to see someone we love decline. ((hugs)) Thanks for the Libre Office reminder. I really resist “subscribing” to cloud based M$oft software. When my Windows 10 laptop finally gives up the ghost I’ll try that, as doubt Win 11 will support my OfficeProfessional 2013 :cry:
    How could you not be affected by the problems of your loved ones? Hope your therapist has some coping mechanisms to offer to keep the “affecting” problems from “becoming mine.”
    @javaplace agreed about choosing love. What would you like us to call you?
    Anna ((hugs)) Good to hear from you. Agree about staying healthy, its importance and life interrupting.
    Debbie [sigh] sorry for the car trouble, really sorry that your DH is angry. Really sorry to hear about the warranty and the formerly reliable dealer. :cry:
    Machka Grieg and Sibelius are faves, envy you the Finlandia. I am so sorry for what you’re going through with Rowan but grateful for your sharing and insights. Bravissima for fencing.
    Michele Vince waiting for “vitamin e(xercise)” :laugh: Glad he’s walking at least. When he’s in enough pain he’ll go back to the PT exercises :devil:
    Allie what Machka and Barbie said about Carmine. I pray that Miles won’t feel the same way when the twins arrive. The Taliah you used to know and love is buried somewhere deep under Carmine’s scars. :heartbreak:
    3/15: Move mins- wii:0 PT:0 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:0 hike down to the beach and back UP with D:55 shopping:30 Steps:8549
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-28 dang that boba liquid candy bar!
    CI<CO net=104 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, Post Office, Freddie’s, recycling, reconcile credit union and brokerage accounts. Wt:131.6
    Been sitting too long and running my mouth too much.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    March: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.

👍🏻 @auntiebk Ava aka j(Ava)place
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    My sister had given my mom a gift card to buy garden flowers last May. Dad found it and bought pansies despite me telling him not to. To be fair, I told him not to because he would have to water them all summer, but the pansies won't last in the heat. And the rabbits might eat them anyway. But of course he wanted me to jump up and help him learn to plant. There are hours of weeding to do first, and I would need gloves and some tools, but we just stuck the poor pansies in a bed in between the tulips. That might work.

Annie in Delaware
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Lisa that looks great! I like the way the tree limbs twist through.

Annie in Delaware
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Lisa that is really cool! I never thought about the fridge as a "canvas" and even though we knew you were working on it, I could not image how it would work..... I really like it.

Kim in N. California
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did a yoga DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a pilates DVD. After exercise took a walk to this space park, I was just curious about it. It mostly has tributes to the Mercury program. But it was interesting just the same. The veteran’s park there is nothing. Then went and picked up some bisque from a lady here in Titusville. Stopped at the SPCA thrift and Brevard charities. Got more DVD’s that I don’t have, a pair of shorts that I’m not sure I like but at the price I decided to get them and I can always redonate them.

Called the gal whose flight was canceled to ask if she got another one. Well, she did. Early in the morning. Another lady took her to the airport. When I called, she was already at home!

Kylia – I’m with you not caring for eating out. So expensive and not that great. I’d rather be home and having not fantastic food, at least it isn’t costing me an arm and a leg

Annie – I’m so impressed how you’re adding more and more time to your biking and walking. Good job!

Rita – we have LibreOffice, too

Joy – pierogi with bacon and onion….thank goodness for waterproof keyboards

Allie – I agree with keeping the lines of communication open. Deep (deep, deep, deep) inside Carmine knows that your love her

I’ve been putting those medicated pads on the callous on my foot. This morning it felt much better but I can tell that it’s hurting some now that I’ve been walking (over 17,000 steps so far)

I have a feeling that Miles won’t feel “displaced” by the twins when they arrive. He’s young. Carmine was older when Miles was born

For the last few days, my left eye has had the feeling like when you get an eyelash in your eye. Sometimes my eye will tear. If this doesn’t go away by the time we get back, as soon as we get back I’m going to go to the eye MD. Boy, between the callous now the eye, I feel like I’m falling apart Update: I left church early so that I could get to the pharmacist before they closed. I was thinking that maybe I was having a allergic reaction to a preservative (I know that I’m allergic to thimerosol), but the pharmacist thinks it’s most likely allergies. Vince has some allergy eye drops so I’ll use them. She said that it should be better by Sunday. Sure hope so

Ava – welcome

Lisa – beautiful painting

Michele
    who sure hopes it’s an allergic reaction
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Pip - so sorry to hear you are not feeling well! especially hard to be away from home.....
    thinking of you.

Kim