WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Wow Rita quite the experience with dentists!

I haven't had much work by contrast, but I still don't like dentists.

Thank you Joy!

Annie in Delaware
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    edited March 22
    Options
    Annie A book I read years ago Emotional Genius by Karla McLaren. She has since revised this book to The Language of Emotions...in her preface she wrote ...take from this book what works for you and leave the rest on the table. Since then when I read or listen to someone I try to process what I learn in this way. What works for me may or may not work for someone else. The same is true for them. Sometimes there is conflicting information out there too. Sometimes there are many variables that cause the problem and to help solve the problem more than one solution needs to be used at once.

Two take points I remember from her is when there is a major conflict resulting in anger "What must be addressed and what must be restored" and depression often has more than one cause and it your body asking for a time out. Her view on emotions is that they are messengers.

Anger alerts you that there is a problem that needs addressing If it is ignored too long it damages boundaries with yourself and others if it goes into rage. It is often a boundary issue.

Depression alerts you to feelings of being overwhelmed and powerless. Oftentimes there is more than one cause of depression. It is your body's way of saying STOP! Your body and soul need time and tools to rebuild your energy stores and strength... to go from being overworked or a victim to one who is confident in their decisions and actions by learning to say no.

She had interesting meditations too. Like the current author I am reading she agrees about the importance of grounding yourself first when starting to meditate.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)Lisa, I scanned and organized my photos in small amounts over a year. I used one of my happiness commandments to suffer for 15 minutes so I gave myself permission to work in small amounts. It worked for me.

:)Annie, If you read Gretchen Rubin's books, listen to her podcasts, or read her blog, you'll find out all her "know yourself" ideas, things like are you an abstainer or a moderator, are you a sprinter or a marathoner, are you a satisfier or a maximizer. Those things helped me discover what suggestions would work for me and what wouldn't. I wrote a list of "happiness commandments" that I refer to often. They are posted on the refrigerator. I live by a vast assortment of spiritual practices and they are my choices and helpful.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,377 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Your patience and ability to spread a chore like photo scanning over a long time is something that I'm only just beginning to learn. The refrigerator painting took me nearly three months to add one color, one idea at a time... and I genuinely never got impatient with myself or the process. But then I still find myself working to exhaustion on things like photo scanning, or even just vacuuming, where I feel like I must vacuum the whole house or I'm not done. That kind of focus and ability to continue working on something until it was complete was part of my success in my working life. I'm beginning to cop to the fact that I don't have to do that now. Leaving four decades of that drive behind is harder than I thought it would be.

Betsy - Hope your sister's able to get her gut settled down and get to Alaska. But as someone who deals with colitis symptoms on a daily basis, I can say that the inability to be more than a few steps away from a bathroom is debilitating on many days. And unfortunately, those days are unpredictable. Figuring out triggers to avoid to keep the gut happy is just an ongoing battle. I gather it's a common issue with folks who've been through the medical interventions like your sis. Thinking about you both.

Gray and gloomy day... not my favorite. Watching the birds swoop in flocks, twisting and turning, in between the rain showers is lovely. Spring rain is the more usual reality here in Arkansas, but will be glad to see the sun this weekend if the little weather weasels are right. Trying to get ahead of the pain without noticeable success so far.

Later, my lovelies,
    Lisa in AR
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    Options
    Machka: (((hugs)))

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    Lanette - Proud of you... it always seems like these temptations come along for us when we're at a point that they look very tempting indeed. Roofs are such a pain, and any leak becomes a liability. Being able to walk in with knowledge is huge in these situations! Stay down your rabbit hole as long as you need to🐰! All that said - there is no perfect place, but my husband and I have agreed to not consider another one that has "potential." Potential ALWAYS means hard work and lots of it.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

One of the houses we looked at a while back looked lovely as we walked around ... except I knew I would want to change one area of it which didn't sit particularly well with me. We organised for a building inspector to have a look at it before we handed over any money ... and he found plastic buckets up in the ceiling/attic!! That rang alarm bells!! And in the part of the house I wasn't happy with, the current owners put up a fuss when he wanted to go under that section to see why the floors felt spongy. He wasn't able to check that. More alarm bells.

It's a mine field out there!!

M in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Went out to dinner with my old dental work buddies and then to.the high school play..personally i don't think it was worth 15.00 but it was a ok night non the less.
    Supposed to be a yucky rainy day tomorrow..and i closed silly cat out again lol.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,733 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,534 Member
    Options
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,944 Member
    edited March 23
    Options
    Nice pretty spring weather was nice while it lasted- rain is back.
    I did get two walks in today. One with MIL's dog Kobe- he loves his walks and looks forward to them.
    I also got to walk the wetlands-did rain a bit the last 15 min of the hour walk but that was ok because it cooled me down just enough.
    Thunderstorms are forecasted for tonight and tomorrow.
    Am ending the day just over 18,000 today
    Spring break is next week so no walking the wetlands planned.

Looking forward to a stormy day- no walking and no shopping, just staying home.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    <3