WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Machka thinking about you and all you have done for your husband. My mother would say you get many stars in your crown for being such a thoughtful, giving person.

Thank you Lisa, Margaret and Barbie. I am an abstainer, but I wasn't very clear on the rest of the choices. Knowing myself is harder than it seems! But yes I pick and choose from the advice in the book. Reading it every day reminds me to prioritize weight loss.

Although yesterday was a setback. I got upset that my car is giving me little shocks. So I'm taking it back to the dealer but they already say it isn't their fault. I was lucky to buy gas without incident.

We are getting a big rain here today. I could stay
    in and dye my hair.

Have a great day ladies! May you be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited March 23
    Options
    House inspections-I believe it is standard in US that home owners are not present during inspections and inspector can check out everything. I would definitely stay away from a house they wouldn't let me have thoroughly checked out.

Take care all,
    Ginny in Ohio

I was surprised to hear they were there because I also thought they weren't supposed to be there. The reason they couldn't look underneath the extension because the access point to the crawl space was in the main bedroom closet ... and the owners didn't want to move things out of the closet to let the inspector get at the access point.

What particularly puzzled me was that if they sold the house, they would have to be out in 30 days ... and they would have to move things out of the closet then! But they hadn't started packing anywhere in the house so it was all a bit odd.

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Annie and Margaret You are both doing so well and inspiring to us.

Betsy Healing prayers!

Tracey I love reading your posts since you have changed your life course. So creative, positive, and caring

Vicki YAY!!!

Machka Healing prayers for you as well! You are a brave and determined Lady. Thank you for sharing your journey with Rowan. It continues to help others (me included).

Beth Good job on eating times.

Lanette I am proud of you for looking and investigating. This offers options in the future.

Terri Healing prayers for you as well!

Caught up again.....Weather headache and arguments DH led to a very quiet Thursday night. I finished reading "Don't Forget Me" and started reading "All The Little Raindrops". Both thrillers/suspense. Both sucked me in! Finished second book last night! Work is crazy busy, but selling equipment which is awesome!

"Deferred decisions" .....I like that phrase! Paperwork is my biggest Deferred decision! Like Lisa I am all or nothing. This gets in my way sometimes.

Weight maintaining which is good as my choices haven't been the best. Winter weather back. It is a roller coaster that hurts my head.

So plans this weekend include paperwork and training online. After work today anyways.

Healing prayers!
    Feeling blessed to have you all in my life sharing, inspiring, and caring!

<3
    Kylia in wet and cold Ohio
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    I did twenty minutes on my bike and fourteen minutes walking! Yay!

Annie in Delaware
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    edited March 23
    Options
    Ginny We were getting water near a window by a down spout when we had heavy rain or melting snow...I put an extra 3 foot extension on the downspout and have not had a problem since. Until this was solved I put old towels down to absorb the water. Also had a dehumidifier running.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    Today is an OK day to hug your kitties and puppies!!

313jqm0uqopk.jpeg
    vrqgpbzdh1oe.jpeg
    gi84he7eqtpm.jpeg
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited March 23
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Machka - I'm so glad you found a dentist so quickly, hope all goes well. I remember when your DH had his accident, your life and struggles at the time. You became an expert on brain injury. The extent of his recovery has almost been miraculous. I hope he continues to be active and engaging for many, many years.

Home inspection- lots of red flags for that house you were considering - spongy floors and buckets in the attic - yikes!! It can be a minefield for sure. That reminded me - before we put the farm up for sale, we hired a licensed home inspector to let US know that had to be done to the farmhouse. He came up with quite a list - the most expensive was a new electrical panel but it had to be done. It was educational following him around and understanding what he was looking for. When we put the house on the market, we had the inspection report available and the list of what we had done which really sped everything up.

Lisa - I'm like you. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing when it comes to catching up on outside chores. :p And we often pay for it. I try real hard to limit myself to an hour, or less, and not feel like I'm a lazy bum.

My lawn maintenance guy, Alex, came by yesterday morning and we tramped around the back yard in the rain. His crew will stop by in a few weeks and take out some trees and bushes to make mowing easier. I'll have a more extensive summer project for them. I really like him. He's another kid I never had and speaks both Spanish and English. A genuinely nice person with a great reputation in the community. I'm blessed to have him and his crew available to help me.

Debbie - I envy you and your warmer weather when it comes to starting veggies. Nice that your mom will have a market for her produce, and that neighbor is available to help her with outside chores if I'm remembering right. Interesting your DH's Safeway is making those changes, I wonder why. Do you think he'll miss not going to work?

Tracey - glad your foot is starting to get better. Interesting about the dishwasher problems. I'm having microwave problems, I think something is wrong with the breaker that they keep going out. This is at the top of my list for the electrician. Loved the photo of your great grandmother, what a special thing to have. Nice about Jonah's friend. That tells me kids will really take a liking to you in your future job.

Annie - Do you think your car giving you shocks might be static electricity? You continue to impress me with your exercise. ;)

Kylia- so sorry about your weather headaches. Looks like a few more days of winter in the midwest.

Vicki - glad your staff is willing to step up and fill in the gap the bothersome employee left. You need to be able to take your time off.

Terri - glad you didn't do any major damage with that fall. Sounds like we are all getting spring fever with the seed starting.

Heather - I don't think John's reaction is unusual. My DH was the worst when it came to helping me or giving me much sympathy before or after my operations. He would get so silent and moody, and I hated even telling him about doctor visits! I wonder if it's because they have anxiety about their wives becoming disabled or even dying? Losing their housemates and helpmates maybe? You might be on to something about John reliving the loss of his previous partner. I do know I'm coping better without my DH than he would have coped without me had the tables been turned if that makes any sense. He even admitted that to me several times before he started going downhill.

Lisa - I'm impressed by that scanner. The one I have right now is the basic printer/scanner where I lift the lid, place the document or photo on the scanning bed, hold my mouth right and hope the wi-fi pulls it onto my PC. It's been fine for the few things I've needed to scan so far, but the whole thing will need to be replace one of these days. By the way, I sure miss the days before everything being wi-fi when I could attach the printer to the PC via a cable and it went smoothly.

Insulin resistance rabbit hole:
    I've spent the last week wondering how in the world I could have slid into prediabetic range when I was doing all the right things. Eating protein first. Walking for at least ten minutes after each meal. Avoiding or at least severely restricting added sugars. I suspect it turns out that I wasn't paying attention to total carbs.

I ran across this gal - Dr. Morgan Nolte. She's a geriatric physical therapist who immersed herself in the effects of insulin resistance after working with older patients who were suffering a lot of disease and disability caused by it.

I've watched a few of her videos and I think my suspicions might be right. I wasn't paying attention to carbs. In one of her videos, she says to cut carbs way back - 60 to 80 grams of net carbs per day. Try to eliminate the flour, rice, pasta, potatoes - starches that don't have much fat, protein or fiber. I know I was easily getting 200 gm or higher each day.

Here's a video of an interview she did with Dr. Ben Bikman, author of "Why We Get Sick". He mentions there are indicators of insulin resistance without taking a fasting insulin test. Skin tags. I've noticed a few on my neck this past few years. They are small, but I wondered about them - and the one Dr. Lisa removed recently that was growing on my eyelid.

Another indicator is the ratio of triglycerides to HDL. If it's lower than 1.5, it means a person is insulin sensitive, which is a good thing. It's doing its job delivering glucose at the right time in the right amounts and our cells are happy. If it's above 1.5, we are resistant. I'm at 1.55 based on bloodwork 1 1/2 years ago, when my triglycerides were 98, HDL 63. I have his book on order from the library and an appointment with Dr. Lisa this Thursday to get more feedback.

The video - a little over 1 hour. Apologies if it starts toward the end of the video - I didn't do that on purpose, that's when I switched over to finish watching it on my tablet and this laptop remembers it. Maybe you gals get it starting at the beginning. ;)
    New computer:
    Earlier this week I stopped into Staples to ask about them uninstalling the old McAfee and installing the new one soon. I mentioned that I was shopping for another laptop, thinking about not using McAfee and going with Avast instead. Got the lecture that people have all kinds of trouble, too many popups, most of the computer problems they fixed are due to these free things.

Same lecture when I said I wanted to go with Libreoffice instead of MS Office. Pop-ups, crashes, catching the house on fire, hens will quit laying, etc. etc. :p

I wasn't surprised. Will make an appointment to have them do the McAfee mainly so I can watch and learn.

There's a local computer seller and repair business has been going since the mid 90's. DH worked at the college with one of the former employees - maybe owner? I have a hunch that's how DH picked up a lot of info about putting a computer together and alternate anti-viruses and office software.

Their rates are reasonable and they have a good reputation. I might just walk out of there all fixed up with a basic laptop without all the aggravating bells and whistles I don't use. I see now Windows has downloaded a "co-pilot". Whatever that is. If I was 23 I'm sure I'd be overjoyed, lol.

Thanks to all of you for putting up with me and the possible new house. The more I thought about it, the more bad features came to light, and the more I realized that getting my current house ready to go on the market will be a herculean job. There are some things I'm just not ready to declutter yet - DH's stuff in the shop and shed - that will take time and research. Don't want to be hurried if I don't have to be. Love you all and appreciate your imput! <3

Better close. Lots to do this morning.

Make it a fabulous weekend!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Anniesquats100
    Options
    Lanette static electricity was my first thought. But I got shocked three times on three short errands on Friday. That's more than just static.

It's a rainy day and poor Teddy doesn't want to go out. I think I will read a book.

Annie in Delaware

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Rainy yucky day here..
    Hanging out with the animals..