WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Ugh not a good day at all..between the bed and the bathroom..
    Im hoping to be better in the morning because Im taking Doris to the Dr.
    Heather- sorry you have to have the hips done but you'll feel so much better,and onward and upward..
    Tracy doesn't have the faith I do.. so I will not worry about something I have no control over..and I'll put it in the good Lords hands.
    Kyle has Friday off.so he will be home to watch Miles ,so I won't be watching him..
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Ugh not a good day at all..between the bed and the bathroom..
    Im hoping to be better in the morning because Im taking Doris to the Dr.
    Heather- sorry you have to have the hips done but you'll feel so much better,and onward and upward..
    Tracy doesn't have the faith I do.. so I will not worry about something I have no control over..and I'll put it in the good Lords hands.
    Kyle has Friday off.so he will be home to watch Miles ,so I won't be watching him..

I think you should be going to the doctor. You haven't been well in some time from what you say in your posts.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Tracey - This will be all self-funded. I just can't wait years for the NHS. :o:# By cancelling the next cruise, we will have most of the money for the first hip. John paid for all of that cruise, but he is very happy for me to use that money as, in a way, it's already spent. :D I can find the rest when my savings account matures at the end of May. He will have to lend me it until then.
    The second hip, following on a couple of months later, I think I will have to fund myself, from the same savings account. This will nearly clear me out completely, unless we cancel the October cruise, for which we have paid a substantial deposit. After that, I will have not quite enough for next year's one, but John will help with that. Then I'm done. Skint. Brassic. No more cruises.
    I still think it's worth it though. I feel as if I don't have a choice. I can't function at all like this, and that makes John scared and miserable. He is proud that he has enough money to be able to help me.
    The operation is done on a spinal block, not a general, and they give you a sedative. :o I don't think you are very aware. You are up the same day, and might be home the next, or the next.

Ginny - I told him about the stairs and he said, No problem. The physios will check you can manage stairs before you leave! However, I can easily get my son to bring a single bed down to the study. There is already a sofa bed, but it's very low. There is a toilet with washbasin on that floor, plus the kitchen sink. A few days of strip washes won't kill me. They say , the more walking the better. I mentioned the 90°rule for bending hips that I saw online, and he said that was old fashioned. I think techniques have hugely improved. The op takes an hour, no external stitches.
    I am really keen to get going and excited! I know I will stick to the physio rules afterwards.
    My friend L did it, like you, on her own, and it was hard. I remember she was in a lot of pain at times. But now she is going on long hikes! I think it is brave to do it on your own. She had friends coming to stay, and the NHS provided some home help. But there were times when she was overwhelmed with pain and misery. It was complicated by the fact that she had just lost her long term partner from a heart attack/aneurysm, and was in deep grief.
    I am lucky to have John, and my son nearby for heavy stuff.
    So, onwards and upwards!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

If you got one done now, and got private health care, would you be able to use private health care to cover the second one?

The ship might have sailed on that because you know you need the second hip done and insurance policies don't like to cover a person for something existing.

Also, you'd probably have to wait a year before you could use the coverage.

We're thinking of changing private health care organisations but not right in the middle of all this dental work or we'd have nothing covered.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    8ztrpvgz8k0w.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    All about exercise!

A sedentary lifestyle may alter cholesterol levels and affect insulin function, bone mass
    • Researchers report that prolonged inactivity can affect people differently, based on their age.
    • They say the effects of a sedentary lifestyle include reduced insulin function as well as the loss of lean muscle and bone mass.
    • Experts say it’s important to understand the biology behind these changes so new targeted therapies can be developed.

Plus quite a bit about exercise and dementia.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/daily-20-25-mins-of-physical-activity-may-offset-death-risk-from-prolonged-sitting

Machka in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Heather-I saw protocol changes in the two years between my two hips, I think I was back to driving at the 4 or 5 week mark. Pain levels vary. I remember 2 week of decent pain (appreciated pain meds) then it toned down. Movement afterwards is good. Being in decent physical shape ahead of time is also helpful. Having the bed downstairs if you can would not hurt anything and expand your options. I didn't have the 90 degree rule either. The only thing they told me was to not plant my foot and turn. A bit later I was told not to squat and have my butt rest on my heels.

Allie-I agree with others-you need to get checked.

Tina-your location sounds perfect for the variation in vistas.

Rainy morning here today and the windy. Luckily it is in the 50s and 60s so spring temperatures are coming.

Off to stretch and get ready to go to office. Hope everyone has a good day.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Options
    Super busy day at work today.
    Super busy day in general!

Walked nearly 2 km
    Climbed 21 flights of stairs up and 29 flights of stairs down

Fell asleep on the bus on the way home.

Then spent quite a bit of time in the evening colouring.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,535 Member
    Options