WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER

Options

Replies

• Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Wish I had time to read like I use to. But, I just love this post. I will read more someday.

I wish all a happy day. Sometimes it's hard to be happy and sometimes it is so easy. I am trying so hard to keep my chin up and not get so depressed. I can't believe how my life has change. I was such and up person, never felt like this. It is sometimes a struggle to get through the day, but, I am doing it.

Went to the gym today and I had all I could do to not cry. AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!!!!!!

My husband was with me and I should be happy more, but I'm not. I'm losing weight again and that keeps me going. this posting keeps me honest and it is good therapy for me just to let it out.

I have no job, no pay, cause I left my job to care for my parents, It's been two years now. Mom is gone, Bosco is gone and my Dad needs constant checkups daily. Thank God I have a very supportive husband. Love him dearly.

I am going to a Career Center in the afternoons to learn some computer skills. Keeps me busy.

Sorry for the rant.

Kathy (plantlady)

i am sorry for what you are going through....i had a major depression about 10yrs ago that lasted a long time, i had therapy, i took meds and both finally helped me(my marriage was not going well, we finally divorce and menopause was near) all i can say is it will get better, exercise will help you so much(maybe as much as meds)feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Bump

Pam aka Cherubcrnp
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    barbie - that retreat sounds so nice and restful. Boy, you sure do a lot of walking! When you freeze the cooked pumpkin, is the pumpkin in blocks or is it mashed up?

Kathy - keep going to the gym! Honestly, when I feel down (one time I even felt like I was going to get physically sick), exercise helps me soooooo much. Whenever I'm feeling blue, Vince says to me "go to the Y, just go to the Y". I've cried in the pool, but swam laps and by the time I got out I felt better. It really does work. Sometimes it takes a while, but it DOES work.

I went over on the calories today. I made some of the banana chocolate chip muffins, and I had to have a few. Why did I do that to myself?

Well, I did an hour of spinning (a downloadable workout) today (Tues). Tomorrow (Wed) I'm going on a 2-1/2 mile bike ride with the Newcomers. The lady I'm supposed to ride with just called, asked me to meet her at 7:30 (yes. a.m.), so I should probably leave about 7. I'm looking forward to this bike ride. It's on a rails-to-trails. We went on one when we lived in PA and it was so very relaxing. I'm going to take some pumpkin seeds with me and some carrots. They said that 1/2 way down the mountain we'll stop for lunch. I'm bringing $20 for lunch (I don't expect to spend that much) and $10 for gas for the people who I'm carpooling with. I also have these two things (don't know what to call them) that a friend crocheted for me. It's this thing that goes over your shoulder and holds a water bottle. I'm a big water drinker, hope they have bathrooms on the trail....lol I'm going to take those water bottle carriers with me and keep the pumpkin seeds, carrots and money in a fanny pack. Then the Newcomers bowling league in the evening.

Played mahjongg today, maj'd twice!

Amanda - love your picture. You're looking so good.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ((((Kathy)))) You depression is understandable. It is hard taking care of parents, especially when you have a father who needs so much care. Acquiring computer skills should help, learning new things seems to help us humans, our minds like to be active. I'm glad you have such a great husband to support you during this time.

Cynthia
  • TrekkerCynthia
    Options
    Michelle, yay on the m'jong.

Amanda, wow, you've done amazing. Funny how family can think you are too thin, they get used to the fluffy you.

Hello to the rest.

Well, had to make some interesting changes to my food journal. DH decided to make a wine/butter sauce for the lobster ravioli tonight. Fine, planned for it, but did not know he was going to use 4 tbsp of butter for two servings!!!! Had to delete a strawberry smoothie. Not exactly a great trade, I know, but he doesn't cook that often.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to check in tonight. It was great to read all the posts.
    Welcome to the new people....this is a great place!

Had a busy day with unexpected craziness---starting with my husband calling at 6am with a flat tire on his way to work. It was a busy day and turned out good.
    At my Weight Loss Challenge tonight even my leader was a having a crazy day and left our scale at home. She had another one which weighed a lot lower so it looked like a nice loss....but tomorrow morning I weigh in on my scale at home for MFP.

I'll catch up with you all tomorrow.
    Have a great night!

Sally
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kathy, I'm am so sorry you are going through such a rough time.....exercise and learning something new and putting one foot in front of the other will help you walk through this time.....someone told me that you can't get over depression by lying on the couch, so you are definitely doing the right thing.:bigsmile:

:sad: Jane, I'm so sorry about your pain. Take it one day at a time and keep eating healthy even if the calories seem too high.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: JAM, I found that book "Switch" that you recommended. Our library had it. I read the first few pages and it's very engaging. I think I will like it and probably learn something useful.

:bigsmile: Amanda, I, too, have friends who think I'm getting too thin and I weigh the same now that I did a year ago. I just smile and go about my business.

:bigsmile: Michele, when the pumpkin comes out of the oven and gets scraped out of the skin, it is sort of mashed already. The first year, I put all the pumpkin through the food mill to make it smooth but now I just mash it a bit before putting it in in quart freezer bags. when we eat it, I open the freezer bag slightly and put the bag in the microwave and heat it on high and serve it with a little "I Can't Believe it's not Butter" . The Olympic Discovery Trail has port-a-potty type rest rooms every two miles or so but my friends who hike the trails in the Olympic National Park and forest tell me that they just go in the woods or bushes along the trail.

:bigsmile: Cynthia, I'm glad you joined the group. You are so supportive. Your husband sounds like a keeper (even if he does add butter to the food he cooks):laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Now I have to turn my attention to the DWTS results show. We voted the house phone, both cell phones, and the computer last night so we're very invested in the results :laugh:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    A quick good night after a busy day with my friends. Read posts and just have to make one reply:

Kathy(Plantlady): You are so right to "rant" here. And you have had a lot to rant about. I am impressed that you are going to the career center and learning computer skills. That is great! :flowerforyou: And getting exercise is also such a great help to your health, but physical and mental. Keep it up and know that we are all here for you! Your husband sounds like a gem too! Please take care and keep in touch here:heart:

Everyone else, have a good night and I'll be thinking of you all. Driving back to MT tomorrow! Kackie
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

:glasses: We've had a sunny few days over here in the UK, what a shame I've been at work, so missed most of it. I've got Friday off and all next week so I'm hoping it lasts.

:frown: Just started with a cold, so that has delayed restarting my exercise routine. I am trying to keep moving though. Once I get over this cold I'm going to make more of an effort. Feel a bit weak and lethargic today.

:smile: I went to see my grandson get another belt for kickboxing on Sunday, he's doing quite well, I'd love to see him actually do some kickboxing , I'll have to go to one his lesson one day to see him in action.

:huh: Nothing much has been going on with me, just the usual work, walking the dogs, and sleep! Feels like I'm on a bit of a treadmill at the moment. I suppose we've all been there haven't we. Think I need to get my work life balance in order.

:noway: Starting to think about Christmas, every 3rd Thursday I go out for a drink with my mum two aunts and mums friend, we usuall go for a Christmas meal in December and Jean mentioned it the last time we were out, so we'll need to get something booked soon. Even hubby has said I should by some stocking fillers the next time I go into town. I try not to start shopping too early, it takes all the fun out of it.:laugh:

I'm trying a new recipe that Jane at work told me about it's cooked savoury rice with two eggs beaten in and then baked in the oven for half an hour. (No idea what the heat should be???) going to do it on high - I'll let you know how it turns out - hardly any calories apparently.

Must dash - have a good Wednesday (Happy Hump day?)

Chat soon
    Viv xx
  • cherubcrnp
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Kathy, I'm am so sorry you are going through such a rough time.....exercise and learning something new and putting one foot in front of the other will help you walk through this time.....someone told me that you can't get over depression by lying on the couch, so you are definitely doing the right thing.:bigsmile:

:sad: Jane, I'm so sorry about your pain. Take it one day at a time and keep eating healthy even if the calories seem too high.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: JAM, I found that book "Switch" that you recommended. Our library had it. I read the first few pages and it's very engaging. I think I will like it and probably learn something useful.

:bigsmile: Amanda, I, too, have friends who think I'm getting too thin and I weigh the same now that I did a year ago. I just smile and go about my business.

:bigsmile: Michele, when the pumpkin comes out of the oven and gets scraped out of the skin, it is sort of mashed already. The first year, I put all the pumpkin through the food mill to make it smooth but now I just mash it a bit before putting it in in quart freezer bags. when we eat it, I open the freezer bag slightly and put the bag in the microwave and heat it on high and serve it with a little "I Can't Believe it's not Butter" . The Olympic Discovery Trail has port-a-potty type rest rooms every two miles or so but my friends who hike the trails in the Olympic National Park and forest tell me that they just go in the woods or bushes along the trail.

:bigsmile: Cynthia, I'm glad you joined the group. You are so supportive. Your husband sounds like a keeper (even if he does add butter to the food he cooks):laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Now I have to turn my attention to the DWTS results show. We voted the house phone, both cell phones, and the computer last night so we're very invested in the results :laugh:

I haven't seen DWTS results yet as I worked until 9PM, so I will watch the tape in the morning.

I had a repeat Sleep Study last night since I lost 30% of my body weight. The technician told me that at it was a good study. She gave me a print out of my dream states. They did order me a new mask since the one I have now is causing problems on my face which are quite problematic. They also changed my settings. So it seems that the study went well.

I am off tomorrow and have lots to do....something got spilled on the carpet, so I need to clean the bedroom carpet. Add laundry and the day will be full.

Pam aka Cherubcrnp
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning my friends.

I'm just popping in to say hi as I'm waiting for a delivery at the gallery.

We are enjoying some unseasonably warm weather in London. I say enjoying, it's actually awful when travelling on the tube. Impossible to know what clothes to wear.

I have a wedding reception to go to on Friday and haven't a clue what to wear. The party is on the River Thames, so it could get chilly in the evening. Maybe it's another excuse to go shopping (Yeah, like I need an excuse!) My UK size 8 clothes (US size 4) are now getting a bit big, in fact the trousers I am wearing today are hanging on me. My DH told me this morning that I now have no bottom! Charming!

One thing that made me smile. Once upon a time I used to use my bra as an extra pocket (especially when I wore a size 52ff cup!) I would put my mobile phone or even my credit card case in for safety when I wasn't carrying a handbag. Now that I'm in a 32c, there is not enough material to hide anything in! Even though my poor little boobs don't even fill up my bra these days.

Better crack on with some work. I have set myself a target of fast walking up the three flights of stairs in the gallery 25 times today. That should counteract the amount of time I have to sit on my bony bottom in front of the computer.

Love to you all.
    Amanda x
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - I am smiling at you giving up the strawberry smoothie for hubby's cooking. Sounds like a great trade to me! On the rare occasion that my husband cooks for me, I never complain, and just try to adjust things the rest of the day.
    Kathy - you are doing all of the right things to try to combat your depression. Just hang in there, and vent here whenever you need to.
    Kackie - Have a good trip. How long do you get to stay in Montana?
    I am still trying to find time for the exercise that I promised that I would do once this week. Between church activities, working volleyball games, and band rehearsal, I'm not sure when I will find the time. At this point, I am shooting for carving 30-45 minutes out of my busy weekend for a walk or something just so that I feel like I have started exercising again!
    Have a great Wednesday!
  • TrekkerCynthia
    Options
    Getting a late start to the day, but oh well. That's what being a west coaster in the US is all about.

Sally, bummer on the flat tire and funny how someone running a weight challenge would not have the right scale. :ohwell:

Barbie, yeah, we've been together 32 years now (since high school). He just can't seem to cook without a lot of fats, whether it be olive oil or butter. Thank goodness he doesn't cook often. And while I'm new to MFP I am far from new to the weight loss scene. Man, I have a lot of knowledge, just don't seem to apply it very well. :embarassed:

Viv, that's what weather does, great on the workdays, nasty on the days off. While I understand the need to make reservations for Christmas now, I'm with you on not wanting to shop for anything yet. ((((healing vibes your way)))).

Pam, interesting about the sleep study. Do they think you'll be able to get off the CPAP (or at least I think that's what you would be using)?

Amanda, hilarious about the bra purse. I'm weird in that my boobs don't really change much, even now that I"m more than 100 lbs overweight. That's why I hate shopping for bras at places like Lane Bryant. Ditzes don't carry anything below a C cup and I'm most definitely B (TMI, too soon?).

Okay, enough delay. I've got a full day ahead with the spin bike, shower, get some produce and calcium supplements or sweet potatoes (I'm tracking my calcium on MFP and am truly amazed at how much calcium those things have), and then study and homework.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    I wish I had more time to post. I am slowly losing what I gained back. I am involved in a challenge that is really working for me. I hope you are all having a great day.
  • grabbit97
    Options
    Good Wednesday to all of you...
    I went to the Ortho guy who did my surgery, last check up, cleared to swim, golf, walk, bike whatever... sounds good to me, and the pain is finally becoming less.. yeah.. still haven't figured out the sleeping thing, been up now for 8 nights, no sleep or minimal.. Lunesta did not work.
    Weight came down yesterday from the football game (3 lbs up), today i was back up a pound, but I ate some popcorn last night.. it's ok.
    Have a good evening..
    Natalie
  • cathys01
    Options
    Hello Ladies:

Happy Wednesday, although our day is nearly done, isn't it? Work is getting me crazy already; I so wish I could retire!!!!

Jane - So sorry to hear that your back is doing so badly and I hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:

Michele - I am like you at the movies as I take my own goodies as well :wink:

Barbie - Your retreat sounds great and you sure walked a lot :smile:

Cynthia - Your posts are great already. I love it :laugh:

Kathy - You sound like you are going through something right now that maybe you should talk to your doctor about. Don't let it go on for long but in the meantime, we are here for you :flowerforyou:

Amanda - So glad your family outing went well. Loved your story about your bra purse, that was great :laugh:

Kackie - Have a good trip :wink:

Natalie - Glad you are doing so well :happy: :happy:

I am travelling this weekend to go and see my son and DIL and little granddaughter who live about 5 1/2 hrs away. He is my youngest who is in the army. He is about to be sent off again on another mission for a few months so I want to see him before he leaves. Besides they have been so busy all summer I have not seen them in ages as he has been in training for this new mission. He can't tell us where he is going as he is in the Special Forces just that he is going and that he will back just before Christmas.

My boss has told me I can leave work a couple hours early on Friday so I could start my drive for the weekend.

Anyway, my Friends, that is about it for now. Talk to you later.

Take care, everyone,

Love, Cathy
  • randylevy
    randylevy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Well it's been quite a day. I've been cooking all day for the holidays. Brisket - done. Chicken Soup - done. Oven Stuffer Roaster -Done. Noodle Kugel done. Challah - almost done. Randy - overdone.

If any of the ladies on this board are Jewish, I want to wish you a L'Shanah Tovah - Happy New Year. And if you're not Jewish, I'm still gonna wish you a Happy, Healthy and Sweet New Year.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Well it's been quite a day. I've been cooking all day for the holidays. Brisket - done. Chicken Soup - done. Oven Stuffer Roaster -Done. Noodle Kugel done. Challah - almost done. Randy - overdone.

If any of the ladies on this board are Jewish, I want to wish you a L'Shanah Tovah - Happy New Year. And if you're not Jewish, I'm still gonna wish you a Happy, Healthy and Sweet New Year.

Randy, L'Shanah Tovah to you, as well. We don't celebrate holidays with food as much as we used to but we are observant in a private at home way.

This has been a busy day full of line dancing and dog walking and ordering our new furnace and heat pump, I make my weekly phone call to my older cousin in a few minutes and then it's bedtime:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: so I can get up before dawn and start the dog walking and line dancing routine again.:bigsmile:
  • cherubcrnp
    Options
    Pam, interesting about the sleep study. Do they think you'll be able to get off the CPAP (or at least I think that's what you would be using)?

The hope is that I will be able to get off the CPAP machine at some point. They did lower the amount of pressure that is being used. I will just have to wait and see what the pulmonologist tells me. My problem is that my oxygen level drops when I am sleeping. Usually, people stop breathing.....I never did that. So who knows if I will get off the machine.....I can only hope.

Pam
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    I just got back from visiting my folks, my sisters and my brother - and their families of course. We have two more babies on the way. Yippee! That will bring the count of immediate family (my folks on down) to 52. The little ones are having a hard time remembering all the names. Fortunately, my folks have a small house on the same property as my sister and brother in law so, when we have a family gathering, we spread out pretty well between the two houses.

I'm in my new place now, which is part of my daughter and son-in-law's house. (They open into each other but I have a separate entry, driveway, etc.) We'll have a gang here for Thanksgiving. Having the additional space will be awesome...a nice place for the old codgers to congregate and have some peace and quiet (until invaded by the little ones).

I don't have a kitchen yet, which is wreaking havoc with healthy eating. Going out to eat is way too tempting. I'll be heading up to Tahoe (much delayed) for a couple of weeks starting Sunday. My contractor son knows he's on the hook to get my kitchen finished. If not, I'll be hanging out and cooking at his place. That's true motivation!!!

I skimmed the posts. There's a lot going on. Big congrats to everyone who's on a healthy path, encouragement to those (like me!) who need it, and hugs to those who need them. Kathy, I'm thinking especially of you. You too, Jane.

Good night, dear friends.

xx