No to Ozempic - No to Diabetes Type 2 -Hello Friends?

Options
Hello!

I signed up today and have a rather long story (don’t we all?)

“You have diabetes!” my doctor told me last Tuesday and it shocked me. I knew it was coming. Last year in April I was already prediabetic. And what did I do? Nothing! I continued living in denial land.

I had it coming. I am heavily overweight (348 lbs last week). I am older (59 but feel much younger). I eat what I want, fulfill all my cravings and have a husband who enjoys ordering in as much as I do. What was a nice break from the yearly daily cooking at first, became a bad habit.

My blood glucose was 220, the A1C 6.7. Wow! That hit me hard as it should.

“I can put you on Ozempic,” my doctor offered and without thinking I heard myself say, “NO!”

I have done this to myself. I am very lucky and very fortunate that I haven ‘only’ type 2 diabetes. I have the chance to change my future and my health.

I do not want to be on any kind of diabetes medication. For anybody who might be reading this who is losing weight with ‘help’ from the new wonder drug. I wish you all the best and good luck. It’s not for me.

Why would I inject myself with a diabetes medication if I can avoid it? I need to change my ways. I need to relearn to eat!

I ordered a glucose meter reader, which was delivered on Friday the 29th. With very thin needle and a pen I put a small amount of blood on a test strip. 220

BIGGEST WAKE UP CALL EVER!

I emptied our pantry. “We are going to live healthy from now on,” my husband was told and he is all in. I stayed up until 11. Made a meal plan. I read articles about reversing diabetes.

I check my glucose now 3 times a day. Today it the morning it was already in the normal range. We ate very healthy.

This is my motivation. Not the number on the scale but the number on the glucose meter reader. Weight loss is already happening. I haven’t been on the scale but I can tell.

I skipped hash brown today, had a tomato instead. The glucose was at 118 today in the morning. In normals range. The next doctor's appointment is on July 2, after 90 days.

I wish for friends here on MyFitnessPal. Maybe friends who have been successful already. I hope for friends who will be joining me on my journey. Maybe there are more out there like me who are trying to avoid a diabetes medication?

I signed up here because I need all the help I can get. I hope I can reach someone.

Happy Easter everybody!
Thanks for reading (Sorry it was so long)
Please don't judge me harshly. I don't judge you!

I signed up here because I need all the help I can get. I hope I can reach someone.

Happy Easter everybody!
Thanks for reading (Sorry it was so long)

Replies

• lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking that first step toward a healthier you! And isn't having a supportive spouse great?!
    My doctor also offered me an Ozempic prescription too, and like you, I said "No Thanks" I've read some horror stories of Ozempic side effects and I didn't want to deal with that. Besides. with healthier eating habits I knew I could get a handle on my weight. I also needed support, not just my husband but a village. MFP has been a godsend to me.

Happy Easter to you too! Your "read" is very inspiring! Be aware, you are not alone!
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lisa, when I figure out how to make friends. I will send you a request or invitation :-)

I know if I don't change my ways I will have to be on diabetes medication. No way will I go on it before there is no other way. Thank you for answering. Now we are already 2 :wink:
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just accepted your friend request. I'm here for you. :smiley:
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,334 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP.
    Looks like you’re off to a great start!

I’m also a T2 diabetic. My medical team missed all the pre diabetic signs. Sigh… oh well.

Once I was diagnosed I went into high gear too. Still doing good, with a little more relaxed attitude these days. Have a bunch more weight to lose, but keeping on keeping on.

Here’s one group you might consider joining.
    Have a look around the rest of the forums. There’s lots of good resources here. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Margaret,

I don't think I have ever been more motivated than I am right now. Almost like I am not fighting the weight, but something so much more important. I am concentrating on the sugar, the good carbs, and the glucose reading. The scale is on the back burner. Today was another healthy day. I will check my weight tomorrow in morning and I am not concerned at all. Boy, that feels good.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,334 Member
    Options
    You got this!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I've recently been diagnosed with prediabetes, apparently my love for carbs, chocolate and candy finally caught up 😬
    Unfortunately the doctor didn't give me much information- just said to exercise, lose a bit of weight and we'd reasses in 6 months. (Can you tell my family doctor is on mat leave?)
    Slowly doing research and making changes.
    Feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    @ByeByetoDiabetes

Reading your post, you sound just like me, only for me it was a thyroid prescription that kicked me into gear at 56.

I read the warning/side effects flyer. I’ve never done that before and the danged thing was as big as a bedsheet, which is what got my attention. The biggest thing was that, once started, you could not go off it, so potential side effects became a lifelong Sword of Damocles.

After reading it, I called the doctor and asked if she’d retest me in 90 days, same as you.

Same as you, I went through the pantry and threw it gave away anything I perceived as “bad for me” (I’ve learned to perceive many foods differently since then.)

I started walking and continuing the basic flow yoga I was already doing.

When I went back 90 days later, I was down 20 or so pounds. She told me, hang tight on starting that prescription and see how things pan out.

When I went back six months after that, I was down another fifty pounds, had added more exercise, including weights, Pilates, and running.

I have maintained my loss now for nearly four years. I actually overshot and had to put weight back on, so am ultimately maintaining at 80 lost.

My doctor literally glows with pride when I come in and record the same weight as last visit. It’s not many who (took years tbh) finally heed their doctor’s advice.

I feel better, have less pain, GERD vanished, and best of all, I can chase the grandbaby on my hands and knees and bounce right back up. No groans, assistance needed. It’s fun, not a horror show like it would have been earlier.

You can do this. You sound like you’ve had the (sorry) mental break like I did that snapped me to attention. Take advantage of the motivation and go for it.

Just do it wisely, don’t hammer too hard or cut too low. Take the time to learn habits you can continue so you don’t put it back on.

Much success to ya, babe! 😘