60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I've checked in here. How are you now @AnnPT77 ? I've had "mystery" symptoms in the last 2 years but this last one they figured out what it is & I'm going to PT next week & it should clear up (I hope)I've been doing the 5% challenge on here (MFP) since last summer & it takes up most of my computer time but I really enjoy doing it The weather here in California is starting to turn into spring. We've had so much rain this winter though. I'm not looking forward to those 100+ degree summer months. I unfroze my gym membership last week. I was unable to go due to my "injuries" & I still don't know what I can do there for now but I do love going in the pool. I hope I will be able to do a few more more things there
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    edited April 1
    Options
    Hello, @evamutt! I hope the PT will work out well for you . . . I've certainly gotten good results from it for various issues.

It's so kind of you to ask about me. I'm pretty much in the same state I was at last report, routine discomfort in right posterior rib area that feels like and behaves like referred pain, increases overnight, usually decreases over the course of the day. I've had so. many. scans.

The scans haven't shed any light on the current problem yet, but along the way have revealed any number of minor things (common for my age) that I didn't really need to know about, because . . . yikes, kinda. Turns out I have ovarian cysts (not progressive so not too worrisome), bone spurs and other issues in my (osteoporotic) spine, and some small nodules in my upper left lung that the radiologist thought were benign (but for which I have a repeat CT scan on my schedule in a month or so to see if there's any change. (I'm at increased risk of lung metastases because of the type of breast cancer I had back in 2000.) Jeesh.

This coming Wednesday I'm scheduled for an upper GI scope at an outpatient surgery center. The location of the pain is in an area that could be referral from upper GI tract. We'll see, I guess. I'm not sure where we go next if that doesn't shed any light.

What's that old saying about getting old not being for sissies? :D:D:disappointed:

I just finished up Concept 2's "March Madness" challenge, machine rowing 5k or stationary biking 10k on at least 25 of the 31 days in March. (I just squeaked in the 25th yesterday, and Sunday is my usual weekly rest day.) The water's still too cold to get out on the river yet, but we've had a few days nice enough to ride my bike on the trails, which felt great. I did get in one good outdoor workout, too, when my rowing club had a volunteer day at a local community garden/greenhouse: I spent a couple of hours shoveling and wheelbarrowing wood-chip mulch with my rowing buddies.

This year has been worse weather whiplash than usual for my part of Michigan: Multiple times already, we've gone from near freezing temps and even snow one day, to 60s-70 F (15-20 or so C) the next. Many of my Spring bulbs were a couple of months earlier than average, and the overlap between different species wasn't the usual sequence. I'm concerned for the fruit farmers (and selfishly my own chances of getting ample local tree fruit come late Summer/early Fall).

If nothing else, the longer day length is cheering me up. Looking forward to real Spring eventually!

How is everyone else doing?
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    ByeByeToDiabetes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am 'only' 59 seeing the 60 on the horizon. Can I stay?

(Started today here at MyFitnessPal) Should I introduce myself? I did it today in the forum under "Introduction" but it seems not many are reading it or I wrote too much sigh (doesn't everybody who likes to talk also write a lot?)

• AnnPT77
    Options

(Started today here at MyFitnessPal) Should I introduce myself? I did it today in the forum under "Introduction" but it seems not many are reading it or I wrote too much sigh (doesn't everybody who likes to talk also write a lot?)

I've never seen anyone here check IDs at the door: Welcome to the group!

It wouldn't hurt if you could tell us a little bit about yourself here, if you feel up to it. I'm sorry I missed your intro post: I admit, though I try to read the Intros section semi-regularly and reply (especially to people in this demographic), I go a bit in fits and starts at that. I'm probably not as good about replying to diabetes-related posts because I have zero personal experience with it. (I was lucky, because my history of obesity probably should've led there, honestly.)

I doubt you wrote too much . . . certainly not too much for me, because I'm a regular offender when it comes to long posts. I can touch type pretty fast, and that's not always a blessing!

Glad you've joined us: Wishing you success with your goals!
  • lisakatz2
    lisakatz2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I think many might have missed your post because it's a holiday and are celebrating, not so much on the Internet. I saw you, friend! :)
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @alteredsteve175, good to hear from you! I hope your wife's sobriety does stick . . . I'm sure that would be an improvement in diverse ways. Also, congrats on the good stress test.

As far as weight loss . . . you'll get there. You know how to do it, it's just harder when life is complicated, as yours is for sure.

Wishing you all the best!

Steve I hope your wife can stop drinking I know I drink too much buts it's hard to cut back particularly when we have so much stress around us it becomes a crutch unfortunately but I wish you both the best.
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    Options
    Here it comes, the long introduction:

“You have diabetes!” my doctor told me last Tuesday and it shocked me. I knew it was coming. Last year in April I was already prediabetic. And what did I do? Nothing! I continued living in denial land.

I had it coming. I am heavily overweight (348 lbs last week). I am older (59 but feel much younger). I eat what I want, fulfill all my cravings and have a husband who enjoys ordering in as much as I do. What was a nice break from the yearly daily cooking at first, became a bad habit.

My blood glucose was 220, the A1C 6.7. Wow! That hit me hard as it should.

“I can put you on Ozempic,” my doctor offered and without thinking I heard myself say, “NO!”

I have done this to myself. I am very lucky and very fortunate that I haven ‘only’ type 2 diabetes. I have the chance to change my future and my health. I do not want to be on any kind of diabetes medication. For anybody who might be reading this who is losing weight with ‘help’ from the new wonder drug. I wish you all the best and good luck. It’s not for me.

Why would I inject myself with a diabetes medication if I can avoid it? I need to change my ways. I need to relearn to eat!

I ordered a glucose meter reader, which was delivered on Friday the 29th. With very thin needle and a pen I put a small amount of blood on a test strip for the very first time. 220 it read.

BIGGEST WAKE UP CALL EVER!

Since then I emptied out our pantry. “We are going to live healthy from now on,” my husband was told and he is all in. I stayed up until 11 pm and made a meal plan and wrote a long shopping list. I read articles about reversing diabetes and weight loss.

I check my glucose now 3 times a day. Today it the morning it was already in the normal range 108. We ate very healthy over Easter. The chocolate bunny sits on the kitchen buffet. It’s not even tempting.

Funny how this works. My focus is now not on the scale but on the glucose number. What a motivation it is. Weight loss is already happening. The scale showed 344 lbs today in the morning. I lost 4 pounds which is nice, but my glucose is down to normal, that's the real success. Yippiiee this is great!

It seems my obsession with fast food and sugar has been replaced with my desire to not be diabetic. The reader shows me that I am in control. I have the magic wand in my hand (or plate). Am I lucky or what?

The next doctor's appointment is on July 2, after 90 days.

I wish for friends here on MyFitnessPal. Maybe friends who have been successful already. I hope for friends who will be joining me on my journey. Maybe there are more out there like me who are trying to avoid a diabetes medication?

I am having fun with my new lifestyle. No to Ozempic! No to diabetes! Yes to health!
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Diabetes is scary, avoiding it is part of my motivation as well. I see my APRN tomorrow. My weight is up, my A1 c is 5.6 the highest it has ever been. I get frustrated with myself for not just doing what I know I need to do. Good luck to you, I am sure you can do this.
  • JohnnyD51
    JohnnyD51 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 73 and on a healthier path. One habit at a time. I'm developing a daily routine that is in its beginning stages and I am already seeing positive changes. The feeling of being more in control of my life has also affected my eating habits. I eat when I am hungry and enjoy the act of eating more. I am finding it easier to avoid anxiety eating and boredom eating. I am looking forward to hearing back from you . Let me know how it's going or if you just want to say high or need feedback. I am here...
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    My husband has various ailments cancer , diabetes arthritis, I monitor him carefully and do daily blood sugar checks to keep him on the straight and narrow so far we have got his diabetes under control as it wasn't back in August but is now and it feels so good to be back in contol but balancing his diet needs careful management but it is possible also exercise has helped to.
    Good luck all of you add me as a friend it you want.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    @ByeByetoDiabetes A healthy diet and regular movement is so important, especially at our age! We're in this for our health and that's way more motivating than wanting it for vanity. My husband has had a lifetime of poor eating habits and little exercise. And he has the medication to prove it. I did not want that to be my future so buckled down in 2013 and lost 90 pounds. My saving grace was that even when I was at my "peak" weight, I enjoyed sports, walking the dogs, and regularly went to the gym. I'm convinced that that is what kept me from going down the same road of "lifestyle" presciptions that my husband requires.

I let 20 pounds creep back over a couple of years so I'm currently working on that. Even that small-ish extra amount made a big difference to my lower back pain.

Keep your eye on the prize (your health) and you will succeed 🙂
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    Options
    Thank you so much.
    1poundatax wrote: »
    Welcome, Diabetes is scary, avoiding it is part of my motivation as well. I see my APRN tomorrow. My weight is up, my A1 c is 5.6 the highest it has ever been. I get frustrated with myself for not just doing what I know I need to do. Good luck to you, I am sure you can do this.

good luck tomorrow. "Avoiding diabetes medication" is the mental mindset I needed. I just gave the chocolate bunny on the buffet the middle finger and enjoyed a bowl of cabbage soup instead. WE can do this.
  • ByeByeToDiabetes
    Options
    @ByeByetoDiabetes A healthy diet and regular movement is so important, especially at our age! We're in this for our health and that's way more motivating than wanting it for vanity. My husband has had a lifetime of poor eating habits and little exercise. And he has the medication to prove it. I did not want that to be my future so buckled down in 2013 and lost 90 pounds. My saving grace was that even when I was at my "peak" weight, I enjoyed sports, walking the dogs, and regularly went to the gym. I'm convinced that that is what kept me from going down the same road of "lifestyle" presciptions that my husband requires.

I let 20 pounds creep back over a couple of years so I'm currently working on that. Even that small-ish extra amount made a big difference to my lower back pain.

I am way too big to move with ease, but I just ordered a peddler I can use under the desk or in the evening when we watch TV. I will start with chair yoga. I hope moving gets easier when I lose the weight.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I am way too big to move with ease, but I just ordered a peddler I can use under the desk or in the evening when we watch TV. I will start with chair yoga. I hope moving gets easier when I lose the weight.

Betcha it will.

Also, moving gets easier when a person starts manageably, gradually moving more.

I started getting active (gradually!) in my late 40s after full bore cancer treatment, when I was class 1 obese and very, very physically depleted from an ultra-sedentary life plus the surgery/chemo/radiation plus a then-recent diagnosis of severe hypothyroidism. Despite staying obese (for another dozen years, to my detriment!), moving more bred more strength and fitness, and in itself increased what I could do (and made me feel much better, too!).

You're on a good course: Stick with it, and I predict you'll surprise yourself with what you can achieve!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,331 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 wow, that's so many bothersome things at once, so sorry, will pray you get it all resolved. I know what you mean about getting older, my body sure doesn't ask permission or even warn me about what's coming & some things I just have to live with & adjust my expectations. @ByeByetoDiabetes I'm sure you'll get stronger. I took to heart what Heather from "Half size me" says is to do what you CAN & not dwell on what I can't do. one step at a time
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,295 Member
    edited April 4
    Options
    Hey 👋 hope everyone survived Easter with fond memories and not too many lbs lol... My chocolate is gone, 2 more Hot Cross Buns to go and that just leaves some ham, and ham is not a problem lol.

I am down like .5 today, week over week, so feeling good about making some real progress again.

How's everyone else managing? Is it Spring yet where you are - some frightful weather shown on the news!
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    Hey 👋 hope everyone survived Easter with fond memories and not too many lbs lol... My chocolate is gone, 2 more Hot Cross Buns to go and that just leaves some ham, and ham is not a problem lol.

I am down like .5 today, week over week, so feeling good about making some real progress again.

How's everyone else managing? Is it Spring yet where you are - some frightful weather shown on the news!

We still have 3/4 of our ham. I sprung for a big one, with a brown sugar glaze. My partner cooked it to perfection.
    We’ve had it as the big Easter meal, and a bunch of other little ones. Tonight was tomato soup with ham chunks and some tillamook Swiss on the side. Gonna have to freeze it in portions in a couple days.

@annliz23 Good job caring for your husband. I’ve been my husband’s caregiver well over a decade now. At the beginning his A1C was ridiculous. I can’t remember exactly, but it was over 12. Yikes territory.
    I had to be Nurse Ratched in the early days of his dementia. Denying him sooooo much.

No regrets though. His A1C is just under 6 now. He exercises daily on our NuStep, and he gets a fair amount of treats. All’s well enough.

• tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77
    Also, moving gets easier when a person starts manageably, gradually moving more.
    Over the last year or so I've lost 10 pounds and the difference it makes surprises me every day.
    I am not a large person and still need to lose another 10-15 pounds but everything physical - even sleeping - has gotten easier.