WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2024

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Michele - sorry to hear about that bumper, glad it's getting fixed. Good you weren't injured, but what a shock.

I noticed yesterday when I was in town in later morning, drivers seem to have lost their marbles. Making left turns in front of me, not checking before backing out of spaces in the shopping center - I nearly got clipped twice in 2 minutes. That's why I hit the stores before 8 if I can.

Barbie - OK, I can see the potential problem with someone who doesn't live in the area gaining access to a safety deposit box. My attorney gave us the option of leaving everything with him for secure storage, which we did until DH passed.

Beth - sounds like a good meeting regarding your mom and memory care. I did a little more digging - assisted living out here can be as high as $8K per month. That would eat through savings pretty quickly. My next door neighbor, who is 92, has a lawn maintenance crew come in and take of his yard - mowing, pruning, spraying, for $2000 per year. We have 2 1/2 acre lots here, and it can be a couple hours each time - that's a lot of grass to cut and bag up. I thought that sounded horribly high, but considering $2000 only pays for a week or two in assisted living, it's worth it and he is able to cook and clean for himself with occasional help. I may go that route eventually, just keep adding $ to savings when I can.

Vicki - wow, sorry to hear about the damage that door did and what all you went through with it.

Lisa - I'm guessing that "SPU" calf exercises helping with blood sugar is a recent discovery - I see it was posted on YouTube only one year ago. So MD's and health educators have known for quite a while that walking after a meal helped with blood sugar, but they never knew exactly why. I heard it mentioned on a Dr. Bitman interview or Chatterjee podcast. Now we know, and maybe it will gain more recognition. Good job on the siding removal. And love that quilt clock, beautiful!

Heather - did they say exactly why the heel lifts are important before and after surgery? Maybe to keep up strength in the leg muscles? Any mention of blood sugar control?

Yesterday I had a nice lunch with friend M, then came home and decided to remove the hard drive from DH's old tower computer. I lugged it from the office out into the shop where I have a large counter - didn't get that job done but will attack it today. While I was in the shop office, I toted the firewood I had stored in there in little crates back outside and into the woodshed, then ran the vacuum. And grabbed the string trimmer and cleaned up a bit in preparation for mowing.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    Lanette, seated calf raises (or SPUs?) are one of a number of exercises recommended to help avoid blood clots.

People who have had hip replacements are at high risk of blood clots because they have to remain relatively stationary for a certain period of time to allow for healing. But of course sitting for extended periods of time increases the risk of blood clots.

I do those and other exercises when I fly or when I have to sit for more than an hour at work or in a lecture or something to help increase the blood flow because I have a genetic predisposition toward developing clots.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    Options
    Yes, Lanette, circulation. Pumping the calf muscles. Plus lifting the toes. No idea about blood sugar.

Rosemarie- Are you doing the next TYHB declutter day at the end of the month?

Made broccoli soup. Cut up the chorizo. John will be back in a while. Just leaving Southampton.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Annie ... you said: "Everything financial passes to my sister who will split it up." This sounds unusual to me. On my mother's will (and my late father's will), which I am the executor of, everything is to be divided equally between my brother and I. Since my father's passing, as we changed account ownership into my mother's name only (I am also their POA/fiduciary agent), I have turned all eligible assets into TODs (Transfer on Death) with my brother and I as the beneficiaries to avoid probate. There will be one account, however, that will not be a TOD. Still, according to my mom's will, it will be divided equally between my brother and I. I will not become the owner of that account and then give my brother half of it. Based on your dad's financial status and/or the state you live in, your sister could face paying an unfair share of taxes on those assets. I would look into this to avoid misunderstandings later. But then I like to have things very clear and concise when it comes to things like this.

Machka ... lovely house!

Yesterday's family meeting regarding my mom was as I expected. She is traveling down the road to memory care or skilled/long-term care. The next few weeks will determine which road. She cannot stay at her current facility's memory care unit if she requires two people to transfer. She is getting weaker , so she's currently in a therapy program to see if she can remain a one-person lift. Praying she can do this and hoping she is cooperative with the therapy. Nursing home/skilled/long-term care is grim in my area and incredibly expensive as I shared earlier.

Beth

Annie. That was a red flag to me, as well. If everything legally passes to her, she is under no obligation to share, especially if it's just a verbal agreement.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »

Maybe that's just life, telling us to live happily in a smaller radius. I am content in my happy, quietness. I think the only thing I get nervous about, is when my sister comes to visit she will be so bored, and make me feel like my life isn't adequate enough. How do you explain to someone after years of medical issues with husband, and moving around every 4 years, that the contentment of life is the stillness?
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

Rebecca ... you don't ... because unless someone has walked in those shoes, they have no real understanding. Your life is just that ... your life ... and it is more than adequate to you.

Beth
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    edited April 12
    Options
    Nearly everyone I follow on Podcasts and YouTube are homebodies, who hate leaving the house. I'm so grateful that's me, now I have no choice! :D They all have wonderful, fulfilling lives, but prefer to stay quiet.
    I spend most of my time on my bed, as do several famous others I follow. I just think we have rich internal lives. Our imaginative and creative horizons are huge.

Rosemarie - No, I haven't signed up, but I still regularly follow the organisers. I find their videos very comforting, especially at the moment. I watch decluttering and cleaning videos a lot of the day. It soothes my brain at this stressful time.

Spoke to L this evening, who hasn't been well. Always good to chat.

John came home and loved the soup! :D He then made a sandwich for us to share.

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Afternoon all.got the clothes finally out of the dryer..that took all day..it was busy in the laundry room.
    Spent 95.00 at Petco.🙄 sheesh
    And I paid off the cruise so..there is that..still breezy out but not like this morning holy moley..
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Tina - Hope the mister doesn't have p-monia. Never fun, and debilitating. On the subject of your legs, I think we're too hard on ourselves in terms of body image, but we all have to live inside our bodies. I gave up on getting mine to look good, I just want it to work! 😀👀🙃

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I really like the way my legs used to look, especially when I wore dresses. There is really no reason I cannot get them (and the rest of me) back into shape.

Tina in CA

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Kim- so sorry about your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Glad you were able to vent here. Hope the following days have been better.

It finally got sunny here after a cloudy morning. I was able to do water exercise 2 times this week again but my legs felt like rubber after both times. I really need to work on getting back into some sort of shape.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options