21 stone to 26.2 miles in 18 months - can it be done?

Options
1235»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,148 Member
    Options
    Picked up my race pack today.
    ocrcmxm889op.png

There are not many Walkingtons in the world. Three of us are in this marathon! There is a Walkington society so I have reached out to my Dad to see if he can contact them. The chances of being able to meet in amongst 50,000 people are pretty slim though.

This is soooOOOOO fabulous, @TheMrWobbly! I've loved seeing your updates, and can hardly wait to hear your race report. You're a great example/role model here!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    Options
    Yayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

You should be so proud of yourself!!!!

How ironic is it that a runner is named Walkingron? 🧐
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good luck for Sunday @TheMrWobbly! I won't be able to watch this year but I'll be cheering you on in my head :D
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Have a great race. I'm sure it will be memorable for you. The first marathon is always special.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Can’t wait to hear the race report!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,454 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the R&R, but tell us about it when you get back!!!!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    I just realised my race report failed so I have broken it in two parts.
    How NOT to run a marathon
    The pre-day :
    Plan; drop Dylan (our dog) with offspring no.2, go to the hotel, meet offspring no.1, large pasta late lunch, 30 minute run to shake out last minute nerves, snack pasta dinner with all the fam, in bed for 9-9:30.
    Actual; Offspring no.2 gets tickets to the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley so Dylan comes with us to the hotel, they are not dog-friendly. Ended up walking, very slowly (BH has difficulty with balance at the moment), around the area, killing time waiting for off-spring No.1 who eventually turned up for evening dinner - and was late for that. The only dog-friendly place for lunch didn’t have pasta so lunch was a large slice of carrot cake. Had pasta at a dog-friendly restaurant at 8 and then more pasta at 9 when offspring No.2 turned up for some dinner before taking Dylan home with him. Got to bed late, hadn’t drunk enough water, awake at 2am with the weight of oily pasta laying heavy on me.

Breakfast :
    Plan; Stick to the routine, yoga, porridge with honey, black coffee.
    Actual; lose BH as we got on different lifts, wait 20 minutes. Try the coffee which was terrible, try the porridge which was watery, gave up and went back to the room and found my BH.

There were lots of runners in our hotel for the marathon, except when I left – not one insight. Skipped coffee stops to get to the train in case I had missed a memo about a train strike or similar. Found them in their droves at the station. Squashed on a train. Got to the start in plenty of time. Ate my bananas, one of which wasn’t great, not quite ripe. Went to the toilet – five times! My starting wave had a whatsapp group and it was good to catchup with a few faces from the chat.
    https://youtu.be/zaA45djDnHM
    Weather was ideal, around 10c/50f, slight breeze. It seemed to take for ever to get to the start. We were the penultimate wave to start, Blue 17 at 11:20 and there were still plenty of people cheering us off. I ran with Big Bird from Sesame Street for a bit before he disappeared into the distance.
    The first 8 miles just ticked by, Cutty Sark was amazing, the crowd was so noisy, I was passed by, amongst other things, a flamingo, superman and the Eiffel tower. I went past a couple of people famous in the UK. Had a chat with the oldest person in the race, what a legend!
    https://youtube.com/shorts/rE-uP72Q81E
    The plan was to take a gel and drink every four miles. Having missed my morning coffee I decided to take a caffeinated gel. Not a wise choice. Within half a mile my heart rate was over 150
    Saw my offspring at mile 9 holding a banner that said “Book of Dad, Chapter 4, verse 6 ‘You were lucky, I used to have to run 26.2 miles to school everyday’.” Fantastic to see them. Gave them a hug and agreed to meet at mile 13 with my BH.
    Saw a tall, distinguished gentleman around mile 11, goes by the name of Tarun, who ran with me for a bit, which was very much appreciated. Grabbed a selfie in case he was famous!
    7zbtnu0qz5da.jpg
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Part two
    Turning onto Tower Bridge was a cacophony of sound, just such an uplifting experience.
    https://youtu.be/B2FGCMYSLas
    z2f0i30pewa6.jpg

Lots of messages between my family were popping upon my watch and I had to slow down and take my phone out each time so I put the chat on silent. What I didn’t know was that the tube was mad busy and I made it to mile 13 before the family. I switched the chat back on, realized they wouldn’t see me until mile 23 and carried on.
    London is supposed to be a flat marathon, they lied! Docklands, which could be flat, has sooooo many inclines, not massive but just enough to be annoying. Still having so many people cheering ‘Come on Wobs’ meant you had to keep going. I passed the guy with the fridge on his back around here somewhere. Somewhere in mile 18 I saw the Stroke Association cheer team and a couple of people from work and gave high fives all round, which was such a buzz.
    l1w3vokfgj7y.jpeg

Everything felt great until mile 19 when my stomach decided it didn’t want to keep hold of whatever I had consumed. I decided to walk for a bit just to keep things together in case I was on camera, not take any more gels or water with salt tablets. At mile 21 the 5hr 30 pacer went by me so I broke out into a jog again which I kept up until I saw the family as mile 23. The best hug I’ve had in ages! A quick break, catch up and the off I go, it was just over a 5k from there and we can do them any time, right? By mile 24 I had lost site of the 5.30 pacer and decided to walk again rather than eject the contents of my stomach.
    They say train to 20 miles and the crowd carries you for the last 6, nonsense. They cheered ‘Come on Wob, you can do it’. I smiled and, in my head, said ‘really can’t’. I managed to break into occasion jogs interspersed with walks during the last two miles. My family made it to see me for the third time at mile 25, just what I needed for the last bit of encouragement to run further.
    mo70btkvlt3l.jpg

Really felt for a guy who was literally 800 metres from the finish who tripped and broke his leg. He shuffled on his bum back to the St Johns Ambulance point. I don’t know if he finished.
    I saw the 600 metres sign and decided this was the point I had to properly run, around the turn in front of Buckingham Palace and down the Mall to the finish.
    m3sqtrzayjtu.jpg

That is a long, long 600 metres. 5:42:37. I lost nearly 15 minutes in the last 4 miles, but I had finished, intact and raised nearly £3k for the Stroke Association.
    I collected my medal, thanked the person who gave me the medal and told them how much I appreciated them giving their time to make an old man feel worthy. Found a less busy spot and my stomach finally won the battle with my brain, the unripe banana being the guilty party.
    It took a while to change my socks and shoes. There were annoying types around looking like they were just off to the shops they were so fresh.
    My family found me, their pride in me was just the tonic to get me moving, just far enough to a Brazilian restaurant where I has a steak that put the world to rights again.

As my school report always used to say, “Andrew must try harder”. My charity bet runs until the end of 2024 so I will hopefully be at the Chester marathon on Oct 6th as I know I can do better.

I also have an idea for a world record attempt for next year to celebrate the crowd who were unbelievable all the way around. Watch this space!
  • TheMrWobbly
    Options
    Finally a picture of me relaxing at my BH's favourite spa where I was taking 4 mile walks less than 48 hours after the marathon, which made me very happy.
    66f8r4igw5ja.jpg
    Everyone of you deserves a share of this medal. You have no idea how many times I read, and re-read, your advice and encouragement which gave me that nudge to get out there again, no matter how wet and windy it was. This medal is for all of you.

@springlering62
    @mrmota70
    @pridesabtch
    @spiriteagle99
    @x_stephisaur_x
    @AnnPT77
    @littlegreenparrot1
    @Lietchi
    @westrich20940
    @BrianSharpe
    @apressler3
    @rossmack07
    @Jeanette_Hills
    @snowflake954
    @sarabushby
    @Djproulx
    @gooniesneversaydie71516

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! Gastro issues are the worst. So proud of you for finishing despite the trials in training and the upset tummy during the event. You GO GO GO! I'll still be cheering in October!