WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

I haven't tried cauliflower rice before but plan to pick some up next time I'm at the store. I see on the Walmart website they have organic in the frozen section. Might be the best value for me since I don't want to mess with a whole head of it.

I need to do more of what Lisa does with cooking up a bunch of burger and adding taco seasoning or something to spice it up a bit. Keep up with the protein. ;)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I mix half cauliflower rice with regular white(Japanese) rice when I make fried rice and neither son or dh can tell the difference.

I cook ground turkey in bulk- half I add taco seasoning and half Italian herb or Asian(soy,ginger, garlic)- put in ziplock bags for quick toppings for my salads or to add to some veggies or in tacos.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca

I do that once in a while with ground chicken.

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    If you look up Patty Labelles turkey burgers..she has an awesome diabetic recipe for turkey burgers..that are delish..
    Tom and Elena used the gift certificate i got them for Christmas to one of the swanky restaurants here in town.. they loved it.. ,and still have some of it left over.
    Taking Alfie over tomorrow night so he is all settled before I leave Tuesday.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: sunny breaks in the rain. Camaraderie of the fellowship gals.
    Yesterday’s gratitude: Joe changed his mind.
    Last week Joe announced he no longer wanted to drive the dogs to the Gold Beach shelter for their nail trims. He thought we should trim their nails ourselves and save the donation and gas money. I was sorry to hear it, I really enjoyed his music selections on our drives to Gold Beach, it was like our road trips together in days past. Because their nails are black, it’s hard to see the quick, easy to hurt them. I won’t do it. Joe said he looked it up on the computer, learned about the two methods (snip and grind) watched a YouTube and was confident he could do it. When I settled with the tech, I told her of Joe’s (spectacularly poor in my opinion) decision and cancelled all future appointments. This morning, while discussing his plans to get new speakers installed in the Jeep, he said something about remembering what I said about road trips and he’d be willing to take the dogs back to Gold Beach for their trims. I sure didn’t see that coming. I am soooo grateful!
    Lanette please share your chainsaw shopping experiences. I, too, am inspired by Debbie and Lisa. Want to tackle some of the most annoying branches that are too big around for me to lop. Thanks also for sharing about the baking soda. I was lucky my sore throat lasted less than a day. Shadow doesn’t recognize me when I wear my Dansko ankle boots. Barks and shies away until I take them off. SMH. I’m with you about not wanting to make Shadow and Tumble feel like they can’t let me know when strangers (or critters) come near, so when they bark, I say “What is it? Show Mama.” Then make a show of looking out or checking the yard. Then I say “THANK you! Let’s go get a cookie.” Works about 90 % of the time ;) That gadget sounds like a real life saver, especially of the big aggressive dog shies away and doesn’t try to come through the shaky fence.
    Thanks, Machka. Look forward to seeing what the unsuspecting victim sees at the end of the climb. :devil:
    Belated welcome back @countrygal2004 Angela from Ontario! This thread is about all I can keep up with and frequently fall behind.
    Barbie thanks for the link to the fireproof safe. I’m thinking more of a fireproof file drawer like ?Beth? but getting something that small would really force me to purge and scan paper to thumb drive. Hmm. . . “procrasticlutter” :laugh:
    Rita ((hugs)) moving is one of the top most stressful life events, and having to face possibly doing it twice, yikes! ((hugs))
    Margaret thanks. Excess weight around the middle, that’s me. Thanks for the drink acv through a straw tip, I usually just rinse mouth with salt water after acv. Love how motivating your singing is.
    Heather loved your “getting away” advice to Rita, and the “If you are feeling low, doing something nice for someone, is the best way to feel better” reminder to us all. Truth.
    Lisa so sorry for gut uproar but :love: the pics. The smiles tell it all. And your joy in your life both now and to come, really resonates.
    Rebecca, well said!
    Rosemarie conVERYgratulations for taking of NINE pounds!!!
    Carol, praying for your DH and for you too.
    Terri like Lanette, I love reading the details of your solid habits every month. Inspiring!

Bong! Been sitting long enough.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, l, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    [quote="Machka9;c-48075429"

Lanette B)
    SW WA State [/quote]

I mix half cauliflower rice with regular white(Japanese) rice when I make fried rice and neither son or dh can tell the difference.

I cook ground turkey in bulk- half I add taco seasoning and half Italian herb or Asian(soy,ginger, garlic)- put in ziplock bags for quick toppings for my salads or to add to some veggies or in tacos.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca[/quote]

I do that once in a while with ground chicken.

[/quote]

I have done it with turkey, chicken and beef. What ever we get on sale. ;)

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara Check Amazon for fireproof safes, boxes, etc. There are so many different sizes and configuration. You will probably find a size and shape that works for you. We all have our own ideas of what documents should be kept in such a place.

:)Rita, Someone told me "it's not surprising that "move" is a four letter word. Just take it one day at a time and you'll get through this challenge.

<3 Barbie in cold drizzly NW WA
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited May 6
    Options
    Machka's Food

Here's what I eat from 11:30 am until about 6:30 or 7 pm.

Sorry about the size of the photos these days ... I've put most of them into spoilers.

Lunch
    One 125g container of rice
    fr8kgk2b3su9.png
    x5y5zggybgiq.png

One tin of chicken or chickpeas
    9yv9bnvck3k2.pngeygjngw9uqip.png

One bag of one of these veggies
    8onv4uwwsyyi.pngvwm8mx4e3yci.png

Snacks
    1 or 2 of these crackers & cheese each day
    o01yxh8idrch.png

1 of these yogurts
    ab0zsm8i2cgt.png

1 or 2 pieces of fruit:
    • 1 banana or
    • 2 mandarins or
    • 2 kiwi fruits or
    • 1 apple or
    • 1 banana passionfruit and 2 figs

After I get home from work, I eat dinner and dessert.

I can definitely maintain on that!
    But yes, I can lose weight with that as well ... if I up my exercise a bit. :)
    If I want to speed things up, I might have 1 crackers & cheese instead of 2, and I might choose a lower calorie dessert at the end of the day.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - Along with Heather's gourmet cooking, I always appreciate an idea of how you eat. Very different from my eating environment, but always fascinating.

Love,
    Lisa in AR

I've been eating like that for a long time! When it comes to food, I'm not keen on variety.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Yummo!!

10 vegetables you never knew were rich in protein
    https://www.taste.com.au/healthy/articles/vegetables-rich-protein/r5bzs3zk

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Monday Highlights
    - Got through reading some policy documents etc.
    - Completed my Working with Children refresher
    - Took another load out to the new house after work.
    - Walked a little over 2 km
    - Climbed 25 flights of 20 stairs up and 33 flights of 20 stairs down.
    - Lego and Cycling on TV
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :) I stay with the same foods over and over for a variety of reasons including the fact that I don't have to use a lot of time looking for ideas of what to cook. Grocery shopping is easy because we buy the same things every week. I decided at the beginning of this health journey in 2009 that I wouldn't use food for entertainment or recreation and it has served me well.

:) I eat turkey burgers because I learned through painful experience more than 10 years ago that I don't digest beef well. I didn't need too many bad mornings to convince me to stop eating beef. I had a similar experience in my 30's with avocado. I have a turkey burger with a huge serving of frozen mixed vegetables almost every suppertime. Sometimes Jake will want them for lunch with corn on the cob or cole slaw.

:) Having company in town is challenging and I am always glad when they leave. Fortunately it is a rare occurrence.

:)Carol, best wishes to your husband on his medical appointment.

<3 Barbie in chilly drizzly NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying my homemade yogurt. A friend tried it and she said it was like the yogurt you get in Europe. It is not quite as thick as the American version. I used a good starter Whole Milk Stonybrook ( a Minnesota brand) I use organic whole milk too when I make it. I reserve 3/8 of a cup from a batch to 3 cups of whole milk when I make it. I serve it over blueberries using about three tablespoons and a dash of some wild blueberry preserves sweetened with grape and date juice. It comes from France. Yum!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options