WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Winter!!

I wouldn't have minded long leggings under my skirt today, instead of knee-length leggings.

And maybe slightly thicker sockettes ... shoe liners.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Today’s gratitude: that I don’t have to work outside in that eyeball-freezing, tree toppling wind!
    Michele have all the cats that Shadow hasn’t gotten along with been adults? Hoping kittens will be different . . .
    Debbie, wow, that is a deal. Wanted to order some of those galvanized raised beds, but then realized we just do not have enough sun to make it worthwhile.
    Kim wow. What an investigation. Inspiring and impressive. Well done!
    Ginny so sorry to hear of your brother’s sudden and startling change. ((hugs))
    Welcome @AnnaDaRosa Anna in the Central Valley. Lanette has been providing us with lots of hopeful and helpful information about halting and even reversing diabetes. Good luck!
    Too sleepy for more.

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday steps, PT, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Carol - my supper was disappointing and incredibly too expensive. Neither of us finished our meal, not because of the taste but the size. I didn’t like my burger, but ate it because I knew Rodger wanted me to enjoy it. I just won’t go back there.
    Hopefully they figure out what’s going on with your husband soon.

I’m off to bed.
    Tracey in Edmonton

There was a truck stop in the small town I lived in for many years in northern Alberta and I used to go there for these excellent open-faced Denver sandwiches and hot roast beef sandwiches (both of which I probably wouldn't/couldn't eat now) and fabulous orange-chocolate floats. Sadly it doesn't exist anymore. And thinking back, I'm amazed I liked roast beef then!!

Also there was another truck stop we used to visit for brunch when we travelled down to Edmonton. I think it might have been in Valleyview (although part of me wonders if it might have been in Fox Creek). We'd have these huge breakfasts - mine was eggs over hard, crispy bacon, immense fluffy pancakes, hash browns and toast. It wasn't remotely fancy but those breakfasts just hit the spot.

But that was about 35 years ago, and I'm not sure I could ever recapture those experiences.

Regarding burgers ... we don't go to McDonalds or Hungry Jacks (Burger King) etc. anymore but we do go to Boss Burger or Burgers Got Soul now and then. They're good.

https://www.bossburgerco.com.au/
    https://www.burgergotsoul.com/

But I tried a burger from one of the truck stops in Tassie a few years ago, and never again. It was so bad, and half raw. I felt horrible all night.

M in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Burgers aren't what they used to be. In the US something changed about the regulations for cooking them, and now all the burgers are too well done for my taste. Oh well, at least I never got salmonella!

Annie in Delaware
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,499 Member
    Options
    Annie - Don't forget that Corey's nine years younger than me... age is but a number, my chicken. 🐔 Of course, on occasion, he gooses me about the age difference. Back when I was very ill, I told Corey that as soon as I got better again, I would jump on him like a duck on a June bug. He raised an eyebrow and said, "Well... try not to break a hip doing it." And then he left the room at speed. Coward. :smiley:

Heather - Holy guacamole that's a lot of food for a little girl! 👀😄😁 I'd be ill for hours if I ate that much at a sitting. The resiliency of the young never ceases to amaze. The prep work is truly beginning now, so pleased your pain will soon be lessened.

Ginny - I hope your brother's steep drop into dementia is caused or at least eased by something that can be resolved. So hard on all of you.

Machka - As you're moving into the cold months, we're moving into the hot ones... today is "basting and roasting," just a few sprinkles this morning, enough to get the humidity up, and then sunny. But... it's supposed to rain all day Wednesday and Thursday, so I'll get out after the rain cloud has either sprinkled on us or passed by and get the rest of the mowing done. I love being outside in the mornings, but the afternoons are already inching into the uncomfortably hot.

Allie - So pleased the Trulicity is really helping with your appetite and helping you make good food choices. It helps a lot when something helps us break the cycle of thinking about our next meal or snack all the time, and helps us stop eating when we're satisfied instead of just continuing to eat. Glad it's working for you.

Kind of waiting out the weather, so will be inside, working on the quilt for the early hours here. It is incredibly nice to be just us again after three weeks with people here at the house off and on. We love our private lives, and I love my quiet days where I'm not trying to talk to or interact with other people. Well, unless it's on the phone, which I am perfectly capable of ignoring. :smiley:

Pleased because the scale showed 155.4 this morning, a pound and a half lighter than I started the month. Trying to get down in the 150-155 range. I did put back on the two pounds lost to sweating while I was working outside, bringing me back to the same weight I was yesterday morning, so I know it's legit. I drank almost a gallon of fluids yesterday throughout the day, and obviously needed them!

My only commitment this week is to be at the clinic in town at 8 a.m. on Wednesday to finally have the last exam done for the VA disability rating. Fingers crossed.

Have a good day my chickens...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,404 Member
    edited May 20
    Options
    Anna - welcome! Good news that your eye will heal, and great timing joining us right now. A few of us are working on getting our A1C down and the MFP logging is great for tracking sugars and carbs. I've just started attending weekly classes (Zoom) for folks with pre-diabetes to prevent T2 diabetes through lifestyle changes including activity & diet/nutrition. It's a year long class developed by the CDC and given by a regional hospital in my area. I share what I can here in this forum, though most of it is probably old news for you. ;)

Michele - is there any other place you could work if the BK job keeps dwindling? Have a safe trip. :)

Annie - glad you'll be with your dad at the doc's today. Hopefully the doc can help you make headway dealing with your dad's cognitive decline.

Heather - glad the pre-op appointment went fine. So surgery is scheduled the end of this week? That's a LOT of food in front of Edie. Did she and DIL split it? It looks delicious - I put ham on my grocery list. Your Uber driver sounded like a lot of fun. I have a huge crush on French actor Samuel Le Bihan, lol. I have one more episode left to watch in The Mountain Detective series. I might have to watch the whole 2 seasons over again! <3;)

Sunny afternoon yesterday after morning showers and it was dry enough to get most of the mowing done. Still part of the back yard to finish up and never ending weed eating. :p The Diabetes Prevention class is at 3 this afternoon, my normal mowing time, so glad I finished what I did. Looks like rain the rest of the week.

Back later.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where it's 37F right now. :#
  • Machka9
    Options
    j6gh0v1m1tqu.png

z20d5curjymq.png
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,499 Member
    Options
    Carol - SO pleased that your husband's feeling better. Anemia is just a long slow slide into every-waking-moment fatigue that you never shake. Your brain even gets tired. It isn't until you start feeling good that you realize how truly bad you felt at worst. Glad it's being treated, and hope they find the cause soon. I'm pleased too for Corey--I miss having family near sometimes, and he hasn't lived near any of his birth family since he left Alaska in 2006.

Later, headed outside to get some things cleaned up and get the rest of the lawn mowed...

Lisa in AR
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    (((Ginny)))
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,525 Member
    edited May 20
    Options
    1948CWB wrote: »
    My husband is feeling 100% better this morning. It makes me so happy! Guess the iron is working and hope whatever has been causing the anemia will be diagnosed soon.

I tried using puff pastry for the first time yesterday. I should have watched a couple of Youtube videos first as it never occurred to me to dust it with flour before trying to shape. Also, since I was adding pie filling to it, I should have sprinkled with sugar/cinnamon first. It puffed but was fairly bland to taste.

Heather ~ That did look like an enormous amount of food on Edie's plate. I hope she and mom enjoyed every bite.

Michele ~ I too was wondering why you don't look for part time work at a different establishment. If you cook bacon, won't you smell like grease all day?

Annie ~ Good luck at the dr's today and hope he can give your and your dad some good advice.

Lisa ~ So glad Patrick is working out and that he and Cory can be close.

Welcome to all and hope you have a blessed day!

Carol in GA
    Glad your husband is feeling better!🙏💖
    I have seen some videos where you take slices of fruit, peaches, strawberries or whatever and lay on parchment paper. Then drizzle with honey and cinnamon. Next you lay the layer of pastry dough on it and crimp down the sides with a fork. Brush top with egg wash and course sugar. In oven and when the top is brown its done. When you turn it over the fruit is nice looking!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    My DH was a chef in another life. He knows what I can and can’t eat, adjusts what he is making to match, and makes sure it tastes good too. He makes up all his own recipes. He might look at a recipe online, but then make it ‘his’ way which ends up very flavorful. There is no sugar in the house, only Stevia, REAL grass fed beef butter that tastes like butter, not the generic kind with no flavor, no eggs just powdered egg substitute. He makes AWESOME meatballs without eggs! Yesterday, he made sloppy joe his way with diced tomatoes, and no sugar.

Yesterday was a sick/lazy day for me. I got up at 7:30, ate breakfast, did a couple things then went back to bed at 10:00 am. Stayed in bed watching movies all day and still slept all night. Feel much bette today.

Foods yesterday:
    Kellogg’ s Corn Flakes (1 cup) with 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 an organic banana and MCT in my Green Tea (no more coffee, can’t drink black tea. Colitis better with this change!)
    Dinner was 2 slices Sarah Lee white bread with Sloppy Kevins
    Snack/supper was a Peanut Butter/oatmeal/honey ball
    Came up to 1282 calories, 8 calories lower than my goal. No exercise at all. Only 1,933 steps yesterday. 62.7 OZ of water (not enough water. needs to be over 72 oz.)

Logging this here is helping be to ‘be good!’ LOL
    RVRita in another hot day predicted!

I wan’t hungry at all yesterday.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    Today is Celebrate Machka’s Bees!! Pick strawberries for me if you go, too hot here! Boy there are a lot of Mills Days around the world! Different days for different countries! Oh, yes, test your use metrics for measuring today everyone!

d9qo0gc3kuce.jpeg
    ppcfo1uk8l4j.jpeg
    0px2qg412imm.jpeg
    5i993hrr5std.jpeg

RVRita in Roswell
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Morning ya'll
    I didn't sleep well..and that darn pizza with all that salt,really messed up my weight loss,but im.sure it will catch up again.
    Tomorrow Alfie going to the groomers and im going to do bloodwork.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options
    :)Lanette, There's probably not much in the diabetes prevention class that you don't know already and there was probably little in Jake's cardiac rehab program that he didn't already know, but repetition and reminder are important. Just like people who regularly attend church, synagogue, etc. and recovering people who attend recovery meetings regularly, it's important to hear what you need to hear over and over and have support from others.

:) I found out through experience that pizza is not my friend. Not only because of the sodium but because the ratio of calories to nutrition is very low. I'd do just as well eating cardboard with a few high sodium toppings. It's for the same reason that I avoid sauces, gravies, and salad dressings.

:) We woke up early this morning so I was able to get a long walk and over 9,000 steps.

<3 Barbie in NW WA