WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2024

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    edited June 8
    Options
    "The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials."---Lin Yutang

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    My dad does the newspaper crossword and sudoku. He also does jigsaw puzzles. He's got all that coming for Father's Day on the 16th. I've been trying to get him to do Bible study on his own, but he prefers the groups.

He does get lonely. I was going to take him to the library today, but not with his head cold. I just hope he is better by Tuesday, when he starts the program at the senior center for dementia.

Annie in Delaware

If you go to thrift shops, you might be able to pick up several puzzles for him to do.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Tracey – I go to the MD about my foot this coming Wed. I looked this up and “an employer is not required to pay a minimum number of hours”. Oh well. I’ve pretty well decided that I like the job too much to make too much of a fuss. This “labor” thing seems to go in cycles. So I’ll just wait it out. What to me really doesn’t make sense is that they had B work yesterday coming in earlier than he really was needed. Why have him at a higher salary than me at a lower salary? But it seems that it’s really who you know. Then again, I can’t for the life of me understand how it’s more profitable to have someone who earns more money than I do do my job. Just because they can do it when the “labor” is good. I still say it should be that you’re making a profit at the end of the day. What an ordeal for your friend!

I’m just procrastinating putting those plants in so here I am

Rita – so very sorry about the report about your kidneys

Deciding for your pets can be so hard. I know only too well. I know everyone will make the right decision and we will all support you.

Well, guess I’d better get to those plants.

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/kids- pushed Lucy in buggy after 2 mi- 1hr 59min 41sec, 41elev, 2.97ap, 84ahr, 116mhr, 6.02mi= 597c
    Strava app = 737c
    Walk home to gym- 11.07min, .53mi= 57c
    Strava app= 65c
    Treadmill jog- 19.40min, 137ahr, 188mhr, 157spm6.0-7.5sp, 2mi= 210c
    Rowing machine- 125ahr, 175mhr, 49aw, 2355meters (1.46mi)= 130c
    Walk gym to home- 11.40min, 3.12ap, .61mi= 60c
    Strava app= 75c

Total cal 1054

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Heather - so good to see you venturing out already.

Lanette - I do hope all the rabbit holes aren't overwhelming the joy you take in everything else. You're such a joyful person, like with the chickens and friends, and other things in your life, and hope that the info search isn't displacing the rest. Just thinking about you.

I'm feeling mildly disconnected from everything right now myself, or perhaps it's just the muzziness from yet another nap today. I didn't think I'd need one, since I slept over 7 hours last night, but by 3, it was just irresistible. If that's what my body needs, then that's what it needs, I guess.

Did get the backyard mowed, a load of laundry done, including washing the American flag I always have up at the front of the house. I always get all-weather flags, so I don't have to take them in and out every day, but it had gotten a bit gray after the winter.

Corey pretty well took the day off, and has just finished dinner, which is cooling to the point now where it's not hot like lava. Stuffed mushrooms for us both, and a couple hot dogs for him as well. The mushrooms will be plenty for me.

Kim - regarding the chicken cordon bleu loaf the other night, Corey's comment was that it tasted wonderful - "just like the frozen ones from Sam's Club." It did, which didn't do much for my opinion of it, but it did use up almost two pounds of boneless chicken breast which I despaired of ever using other than in enchiladas or something else stewed or fried as tenders. They simply get too dry for me to eat any other way. The recipe called for a very creamy Dijon gravy which was yummy but insanely high-calorie, and I think I'd do more of a pan sauce if I did it again. I've put it in the spoiler:

Please note, it took an hour to get to temp, rather than the 40 minutes they note here. I think there are a lot of ways it could have been made better, and considering that chicken breast is half the price of ground beef these days... I threw a couple of slices of it in with panko this afternoon for a chicken salad, wasn't bad, and Corey has used another sliced mixed with the cream cheese to stuff the mushrooms, as well.
    Chicken Cordon Bleu Meatloaf
    Servings: Kcal: 320 kcal | Servings: 6 servings
    Ingredients
    1 egg
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 lbs. ground chicken
    6 slices Swiss cheese
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    2 teaspoons minced onion
    1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
    6 slices Virginia chicken ham
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs for topping
    For the Creamy Dijon Gravy:
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 cup skim or 1% milk
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    Steps
    1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix chicken with egg, mayonnaise, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, onion, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and pepper.
    2. In a loaf pan, layer half the chicken mixture, followed by chicken ham and cheese. Repeat with remaining chicken mixture.
    3. Bake for 25 minutes, add panko breadcrumbs, bake for another 15 minutes.
    4. For gravy, melt butter, whisk in flour, add cream, milk, Worcestershire sauce, and Dijon mustard. Simmer, add Parmesan, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
    5. Rest meatloaf, slice, and serve with gravy.

Dinner's ready!
    Love,
    Lisa in AR
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,368 Member
    Options
    Did my usual Saturday local shop run. Worked in the garden after lunch. All in all a pleasant day.

Machka: I missed that autocorrect 😂 I love that shade of blue.

Rita: (((hugs))) It’s a difficult decision when our pets begin to deteriorate. Hope you can get answers about your lab results quickly.

Annie: Hang in there. Hope it’s no Covid.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Doctor report doesn’t make me feel any better this week. Kidney levels moved me from CKD stage 2 to CKD stage 3B again. I don’t know what is going on there. The doc ordered a full thyroid panel with serum levels? IDK what the serum thing is but could be that. Blood work for that Monday, review a week later.

Yes I need to wash the sheets every day. I only have 2 sets so can’t put that off when the dog has an accident. We have a washer/dryer available at the ‘shop’ for the Park. Only problem with that is that the dryer is vented to the inside of the shop and the washer drain and fill hoses need to be hooked up/ disconnected each time it is used. ALSO there is no air conditioning in the shop and with the over 100 degree weather we’ve been having, well just not an ideal situation, but better than paying for it and driving 15 miles out one way just to wash sheets. We are seriously discussing what to do about Brownie. I’m leaning toward putting her down but don’t know when we will actually do it. It seems wrong when she is great except for the heart (coughing fits) and the incontenence. I just don’t know…..

Gotta go work in the pay booth. Talk later.

RVRita in Roswell

Could you just hose the sheets down outside and hang them to dry? With the heat and dryness in your area, they'd be dry in no time.
    And what about pee-pads for either humans or pets?

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Another gorgeous morning. :D Birds chirping away. Sky the bluest blue.

John is making Moussaka for dinner tonight, one of his signature dishes. :p It's a Robert Carrier recipe, (for you Canadians ). One of my favourite things. It does 4 good portions, so we will be freezing for another day. Massive amount of work! Which is why I never make it, and leave it to John!

I will shower and wash my hair and put my Parisian face on. :laugh: Ready for my appearance on the world stage. (Or, a few steps down the road) I seem to be returning to health with alarming speed. The only fly in the ointment is the weight I have put on from months of inactivity. The last couple of months, I have hardly left the house. I am eating sensibly, with no snacks, and no alcohol, but I won't start losing until I start moving. It's an annoyance, but I'm feeling good in myself.

So sorry for all of you who are losing pets. It's the main reason I decided, very early on, never to have a pet again. The loss of my childhood friends affected me so badly, I never wanted to invest that amount of love into a short lived life again. Too painful.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx